Chapter Nine

WTH I CAN'T BELIEVE IT HAS TO BE THIS OAF!

 

I couldn’t understand what I was feeling right there at that very second. The second Gongchan wiped the corner of my mouth, I dropped my jaw just by the sight of Jinyoung looking at us.

I couldn’t make out his expression. It was in the middle of Am-I-seeing-weird-things and I-am-butthurt kind of expression. Okay, maybe not the second choice since I don’t know if Jinyoung feels the same way as I do. Liking him more than my best friend, I mean. But I guess that’s highly unlikely now, regardless of the fact IF he did turn out to like me… OTL

Jinyoung blinked his eyes and started to make his way towards us, leaving his line completely.

HE. WAS. SMILING.

“So where’s your brother now? I thought you guys were going somewhere.” Jinyoung smiled as soon as he was with us at the corner.

Gongchan stopped and looked at Jinyoung surprisingly. First, surprised in a way that who-are-you-why-are-you-here? But it changed. He looked at me and then at Jinyoung.

“Uh… um.. Deullie…” I started as I clenched my fist out of nervousness. I hate lying. I hate lying to Jinyoung so much.

“What do you mean your brother? We’ve been together for more than an hour now.” Gongchan said.

He was so clueless. THIS BISH. DEMMIT. GO WITH THE FLOW OKAY? OTL

To my surprise, Jinyoung was really calm.

“Oh? You didn’t know that Cathrel’s supposed to be somewhere with her brother right now?” Jinyoung asked Gongchan.

“What?” Gongchan looked at me. “I thought I made myself clear that you are to have a date with me today and cancel all your unnecessary appointments!”

I couldn’t answer. I was shaking in my place. What is this? This is not supposed to be part of the plan. ;______;

“Or don’t tell me she lied to you, too?” Jinyoung said and then he looked at me in the eyes intensely and added, “Just like she did to me.” And then he turned his back at us to head to the exit door on the other side.

Tears started forming in my eyes. I’ve never seen Jinyoung so upset before. I couldn’t handle it anymore.

“I’M SORRY JINYOUNG!!” I shouted as loud as I could as tears began falling from my eyes. I was looking down at my sneakers because I couldn’t gather up the courage to look at him.

The whole place went silent and they all turned to me.

“You’re such an attention grabber, kid.” Gongchan muttered.

I looked up and then I saw Jinyoung by the door looking at me. Waiting for me to do something. And the people were just there staring waiting for the drama before them to unfold.

“I… I… c-can explain.” I said in between my sobs.

Jinyoung just gave me the go-on-I’m-listening look.

“Ooooh, he made you cry. Not a really nice potential boyfriend there, eh, Cathrel?” Gongchan chuckled.

I glared at him to give him the “DEMMIT. SHUDDAP” look. Then he backed off.

“Well?” Jinyoung asked from the other side.

“It would be really nice if we talked in private.” I replied as I wiped my tears with my hand.

“Ugh, that’s so unsanitary.” Gongchan was disgusted. “Here, help yourself. I ain’t wiping anything anymore. Your boyfriend might kill me.” He offered me more of his tissue.

OMG GONGCHAN SHUDDAP. DX

I gave him another glare.

“Okay, okay. Shutting up now.” He replied.

“I don’t have all day, Cathrel. As you can tell, I am disappointed in you right now. Honesty is truly underrated these days. I’m going now.” Jinyoung placed his hand on the door already.

“WAIT!!!! DON’T GO!!!” I shouted again.

“You do know this is the time where the girl runs to the guy, right?” Gongchan whispered. I gave him a look. “Just a suggestion you know. Unless you want everyone to see this drama, then carry on.”

Oh god. How stupid. He’s right. Demmit. I started to go towards the other side of the fast-food chain where Jinyoung was and everyone’s eyes were on me as I made my way.

The second I got to Jinyoung, more tears started falling. And before I could wipe them again with my hand, a handkerchief beat me to it. I opened my eyes and Jinyoung was the one wiping the tears in my eyes with his handkerchief.

“I’m… so so so-rry.” I began.

“Now don’t say anything yet. I can’t handle crying girls, so get rid of these tears first then we talk.” Jinyoung continued wiping my tears as new tears kept on replacing them. “Gah. Stop crying now.”

“I can’t help it. I feel so bad right now.” I continued.

“Well you should be. I feel worse right now because of this.” Jinyoung said.

With that, I cried more.

He panicked then he got hold of my shoulders as if he’s about to shake me. “Ahhh! Stop crying, Cathrel. Please. You’re making this look bad for the both of us.”

I placed both my hands on my face to wipe them away and then all of a sudden Jinyoung hugged me and I could feel his warm embrace. His hugs are the best. T^T

And then the people in the place started cheering.

“I guess we better take this outside.” He whispered and we both went out of the place.

“Right! Just pretend I’m not here guys! Okay?!” I heard Chansik shout.

As soon as we were alone outside, we looked for a place by the parking lot and sat there side by side in the sidewalk. I took a deep breath and looked at Jinyoung.

“Okay, you start now.” He said.

“Are you upset?” What a stupid question to ask!

“A little bit, but I feel more betrayed here than upset.” He admitted. “I mean, if you were going to go out with Gongchan then you could’ve told me straight when I called you.”

“Eeehh, it was…” I butted in.

“Though it would have been weird and all of a sudden, considering the fact you loathe him so much.” He added.

“It was all of a sudden, okay?” I blurted out.

“What do you mean all of a sudden?”

“You calling me was all of a sudden.” I lied.

“I don’t like lying as you can see, Cathrel.” Jinyoung said flatly. “For the record, this is the first time you lied to me.”

No. This is not the first time. My relationship with you is a lie, Jinyoung. Can’t you see? When you told me that we’re forever going to be best friends, I lied by answering you that we will forever be like that. I can’t, okay? I love you. Not just in a best-friend-type-of-love, but I am IN LOVE with you. I am living a lie everyday just seeing you because I know that you will be disappointed again if I didn’t keep my promise. Falling in love with you was not part of the plan. I know. But I can’t help it. It’s completely your fault. If you weren’t treating me this way, this would never even happen. I keep on lying to you because I don’t want to hurt you. Because you’re important to me.

“I was about to tell you everything the second I knew of the news,” I began.

“Wait, what news?” He was confused.

“Don’t be shocked or anything but… Gongchan and I are engaged.” I finally said.

Jinyoung didn’t even move. It’s like he was just staring into space.