4--Transfer

Who Are You?

Just get through classes today and then when you get home, you can sleep all through the evening and all through the night, I told myself repeatedly as I got ready for class.

I was so tired I felt like someone had knocked me over the head with a brick. I only had enough energy to shuffle around like a zombie and my eyes would only open by half a millimetre. It took me double the time to get ready but I didn’t even care. They should feel honoured I was even turning up to class in this state.

I was wearing black jeans and a maroon hoodie and all I managed to do was brush my hair and then gave up when it wouldn’t cooperate. I grabbed my bag, hoped to God the right books were in there, slung it on my back and left.

“This is becoming a familiar sight,” I said, turning to lock my door.

Jongin stood leant against his apartment door, checking something on his phone. He was dressed in white shorts and a denim t-shirt with the first three buttons open, exposing a glimpse of his tanned chest. He looked up and grinned at me, tucking his phone away.

“Someone looks tired,” He observed.

“Is that just a nice way of saying I look a mess today?” I sighed. I gave him a sideways glance. His hair was messy; some of the strands were sticking right up like an aerial. I pulled him to a stop by his arm. His eyebrows furrowed.

“What’s up?”

I reached over and raked a hand through Jongin’s hair, making the strands settle straight against the rest. His hair was soft and fluffy and all different shades of brown; from a light caramel to a dark oak. The strands came to rest against his upper eyelid, sometimes just dusting his eyes. I swept a few strands into his eye and watched as he blinked automatically, his eyebrows drawing together, lips pouting slightly. I quickly went to move the strands away but he caught my hand. He looked up at me, and this look, it almost scared me. His eyes were so brown and clear and had an almost haunted expression in them. He didn’t blink, his gaze didn’t falter; it was as if he had turned to stone right before me. Only his eyes were alive, passing emotions to me that I couldn’t translate. Or didn’t have the words to describe.

“I was just fixing it,” I whispered. Jongin closed his eyes at the sound of my voice and seemed to almost wince. When he opened them again, some of the light from his eyes had dimmed. He let go of my hand and reached over to ruffle my hair.

“Fix your own hair first,” He winked and began to walk down the hallway. My cheeks turned red in embarrassment and before catching up to him, I dragged my fingers quickly through my hair, swept it to the side and tried to pat down my fringe so hard the sound was actually audible.

“So you decided to wait for me so we could go to class together huh?” I gave a cheeky smile, “I didn’t know I was this irresistible.”

“You’re not,” Jongin said bluntly, “That’s probably why you didn’t know.”

I elbowed his arm.

“Ow!” Jongin glared at me, “This needs to stop! Every little thing I say and you want to punch me on the arm for it. I might as well zip and lock my mouth shut.”

“I can keep the key for it if you want?” I said brightly, holding out my hand.

“Wow you’re so funny I forgot to laugh,”

“Wow you’re so funny I almost forgot that joke died ages ago.” I skipped ahead. “Come on Jonginnie, we’re going to be late!”

 

As it turned out we were fifteen minutes early. Students milled around the courtyard and some boys were kicking a football around on the grass.

“What are you majoring in?” I asked as we entered through the grey metal gates.

“Dance,” Jongin had his phone out again and was tapping away.

“Dance?” I stood back and put my hands on my hips. “Ooo look at you, I didn’t know you were a dancer but now I can see it!”

“What are you majoring in?” Jongin asked after rolling his eyes.

“Korean literature. I plan to be a famous writer.” I replied proudly

“Ah that’s cool, you can write my biography.” Jongin grinned and ducked his head out of the way of another slap.

“Ah I’d better be going to class now,” I looked at the time on my phone regretfully. Before I could put it back in my pocket, Jongin swiped it out of my hand.

“You could have just asked you know,” I said amused, taking back my phone.

“I don’t ask, I take.”

“Well let’s see how you take my number. You’ve given me yours but you don’t have mine!” I said in a sing song voice, holding up my phone. Jongin shook his head.

“You think you’re so smart but you’re actually so slow. Super duper slow.” He tweaked my cheek and grinned, “Have a nice day,”

With that, he turned and walked away. His strides were long and confident and he walked with one arm in his trouser pocket and the other swinging casually by his side. I took out my phone and checked the screen.

The messages application was open. I saw Jongin had sent a message to himself off of my phone, effectively getting my number:

Uwaa Jongin oppa is so amazing, I’m so glad he moved in to the apartment opposite. Now we can have y time every day after classes. I hope he’ll eat lunch with me today *.*

“This boy…” I shook my head in wonder. As if on cue, my phone buzzed with the reply.

Jongin: Aww how can I deny this poor little girl her biggest wish? Don’t worry you can sit next to me at lunch and feed me food ^.^

 

“You’re a disgrace,” Was the first thing my best friend said to me.

“Hello to you too best friend,”

“You look like you got dragged through the Forbidden forest by your hair,” Sujin peered into my face, “Jesus Christ are you high? Your eyes are red, are you doing drugs?”

“No I’m just doing lack of sleep.” I sighed, trying to rub some life back into my eyes. We entered the cafeteria.

“Lack of sleep?” Her nose wrinkled, “You go to bed at eleven every night, how is this a case of lack of sleep?”

“Last night my sleep was interrupted.” I said mysteriously. Sujin stared at me, her cat like eyes narrowing.

“Interrupted by what..?” She asked slowly. Before I could even open my mouth to reply, a hand closed around my wrist and pulled me along.

“What the-?”

“It’s time to eat now,” Jongin said simply, tugging me across the cafeteria.

“My friend…”

Jongin stopped and looked over his shoulder at Sujin. She was looking from me to Jongin, utterly bewildered.

“You can come too,” Jongin said, treating her to a wide grin. Sujin stared at him in shock, pointing a finger to her chest as if to say ‘Me?’ Then she regained her composure.

“I suppose I can spare the time.” She said casually. After Jongin had turned away she shot me a look that told me I had a lot of explaining to do.

We arrived at a table at the back of the room. Six guys were seated around in various stages of eating and talking. When Kai arrived, they all fell silent and looked up at us.

“Woah,” Sujin said. I knew exactly what she was feeling; having six guys turn their eyes on you at once was like a sudden jolt of electricity. I knew immediately that they were transfer students. I hadn’t seen any of them around college before, and these were the type of boys you would remember seeing.

“Introductions would be nice Kai,” Said one of the guys near the end of the table. He had creamy skin, the most clear brown eyes I had seen and thick brown hair. He radiated peace and patience.

“This is Ara and that is…”

“Sujin,” Sujin added, smiling brightly. I also gave an awkward smile.

Jongin, satisfied that the introductions were done, nudged along a boy with round brown eyes and straight dark eyebrows and sat down. He yanked my arm down so I fell into the space beside him.

Sujin stood dithering.

“Jongin, my friend,” I hissed, trying to make him move up again.

“Watch,” He said quietly.

The boy opposite me gently pushed his neighbouring companion to the left to make space and then slid over. He didn’t look at Sujin as he did it but she still noticed the now available space. Hesitantly, she sat down and quietly said thank you. The boy, his straight small dark eyes hiding behind his ruffled white blonde hair didn’t reply. Simultaneously, they slowly looked up at each other and then looked down quickly, and for the first time in my life, I saw Sujin’s cheeks flush red. I could understand why; there was a connection between them that was unmistakable.

“That’s Sehun.” Jongin looked at me, “You can stop staring now,” He suggested, opening his bag.

“But it just looks so adorable,” I clasped my eyes together, my eyes shining, “Like a drama.”

“Uhm,” My eyes were dragged away by the sound of a deep voice, nudging it’s way into my thoughts. A boy with hair in between the colour of light brown and auburn was leaning across the table to smile at me, “I’m Chanyeol.”

“Hey Chanyeol,” I naturally returned the smile, warmed by deep voice and the way his face seemed made for smiling.

“I’m Kyungsoo.” The boy Jongin had nudged along bowed his head.

“That’s Baekhyun,” Chanyeol pointed to the boy in front of him, whose conker coloured hair was hidden beneath a white hood.

“And I’m Suho,” The boy with the creamy skin, the one who had spoken first gave me a lovely kind smile.

“It’s nice to meet everyone.” I gave another (awkward I’m sure) smile.

“Eat,” Jongin passed a foil parcel towards before zipping up his bag.

“Ah you made me a sandwich,” I unwrapped it, “Was this for keeping me up all night?”

“Uhh..”

I looked up to six pairs of eyes staring at me in surprise. Jongin had an eyebrow raised and his lips curled with amusement..

“Not like that!” I cried, looking around at everyone. Jongin latched on to my embarrassment.

“It was exactly like that,” He purred, biting the corner of his lip. “All night long.

“Listen-”

“You don’t have to explain yourself,” Baekhyun said hastily.

“It’s none of our business what Kai gets up to in his private time,” Suho added.

“I don’t even want to make it my business,” Kyungsoo shuddered.

“Ara!” Sujin said, shocked, “You never told me you’d lost your ity!”

I gave her an agonised look. I couldn’t even speak.

Jongin snorted and burst out laughing. Chanyeol joined in slapping his thigh like it was the funniest joke of the decade. Even Sehun’s eyes crinkled and his cheeks bunched as he laughed silently. I looked at Suho, desperately wanting his peaceful presence to restore some calm. He laughed softly and raised his eyebrows as if to say What can you do?

“Ah you’re so funny,” Kai was wiping tears of laughter from his eyes and unwrapping my sandwich for me, “Time to eat now my dear comedian,”

Ah what can you do indeed.

--------------------------

A/N: I hope you enjoyed this longer chapter, I got carried away! Today I planned out the whole story and be prepared to have your heartstrings pulled! Thanks for commenting and subscribing and I hope you continue to enjoy the fanfiction! Oh my God did you watch the drama version of wolf, how y did Kai look when he was like flexing his wrist after beating the dude up like ahmygawsh =^.^=