20-- Strangers

Who Are You?

I always get what I want.

Who does he think he is?  Treating me as if I am some toy that he can have when he wants it.

“I don’t deserve this,” I mutter angrily to myself. I’m leaning against the kitchen counter, watching everyone dance in the centre of the living room. The lights are off but Sehun has mini disco lights that light up the room with garish colours. There’s a lot of people and all the bodies are crowded together in front of the stereo, arms in the air and voices loud.

“What are you doing standing here by yourself hot stuff?” Says a voice.

I jump about a foot in the air and whip around.

“Sujin! You scared me!” I scold, slapping her arm.

“Your face is a picture,” She cackles, “No but really why are you standing by yourself?”

“I’m just not in the mood to dance at this moment in time,” I sigh.

“What happened with Kai?”

“Nothing.”

She raises her eyebrows. Suddenly I find myself pouring out to her about what he said earlier.

“I always get what I want? He said that?” She wrinkles her nose.

“I know right,” I sniff.

“It sounds pretty hot when you think about it,”

“I know right!” I wail in despair.

“Well then you have to show him that he can’t get what he always wants.” She says into my ear. “It’s no use standing here by yourself! Get out there and have fun and show him what he’s missing.”

“But…”

“No buts!” Sujin pours me a shot of Soju and orders me to down it. The drink scraps down my throat, and I imagine it’s how nail varnish remover would taste. But it wakes me up a bit and warms my throat. Sujin takes my hand and makes to lead me to the dance floor, but I make sure to take one more shot before hand.

“Hey! That doesn’t mean you can get drunk!” She protests.

“It’s just for courage dude,”

We both make our way into the crowd of people to dance and immediately move our bodies to the beat of the music. Sehun comes over to wrap his arms around Sujin’s waist and dance with her and Chanyeol takes my hands and we dance in front of each, laughing and giggling.

Suddenly Chanyeol’s hands are replaced with another pair. In the dark I can’t make much out, but it’s enough to confirm I don’t know the person. They’re really tall and have broad shoulders underneath a fitted black t-shirt.

I’m politely about to step away from them, when out of the corner of my eye I notice Jongin. He dancing surrounded by a group of girls and his body is rolling in ways that are making my fists clench. He doesn’t glance over at me once, and the look on his face doesn’t show me that he’s thinking of me either.

“Are you okay?” I’ve completely stopped dancing and the guy in front of me is peering into my face.

“Yeah…” I say distantly, still staring at Jongin. “Yeah I’m fine.”

“Do you need a drink?” He asks.

“No…” I tear my eyes away from Jongin and force myself to wrap my arms around the stranger’s neck, “I just want to dance.”

I see an appreciative smirk on his face and he places his hands on my hips. I see Sujin give me a questioning look but I turn my eyes away from her. I try to lose myself in the music and try to imagine that the image of me dancing with someone else is driving Jongin crazy, but in actual fact it’s making me crazy. I’m an idiot, I can’t even handle my own plan. I whirl away from the stranger and head over to the counter to pour myself another shot. I’m not trying to get drunk, I’m just trying to distract myself and loosen up, just trying to get a certain someone out my head, trying to come to terms with the fact that maybe this was all just a bit of fun for him, trying to come to terms with the fact that my stomach and heart feels like someone’s punched me.

“Try this drink,” The stranger says, handing me a shot glass. It’s a pretty pink colour but as I throw it down my throat it burns like fire and I find myself bending over, coughing and spluttering.

“Too strong for you huh?” The stranger laughs, leaning back against the counter. I’m just about to answer but when I straighten up, the room swims around like I’m suddenly on a merry-go-round. I stumble, but his strong arms keep me up right.

“I need to sit down,” I say, because my stomach is starting to think it’s time to undigest some things.

“Come on, I’ll take you to lie down,”

“No, I don’t want to lie down,” I try to say firmly, walking away, but my eyesight and my feet won’t connect and I find myself stumbling everywhere. “Just take me to my friends please.”

“Okay they’re this way…”

“Jongin? Suho?” I try to peer into any faces as I pass by, hoping to catch a glimpse. “Chanyeol? Baekhyun? Kyungsoo?”

Each face is only a stranger, just like the one that’s leading me out of the room.

“Yah Sujin?” I say, my voice getting a little shaky as his grip gets tighter. “Jongin?”

I feel like I’ve been transported to a party by myself. My eyes are swimming over the faceless crowd because I really need someone right now, I need someone to slap me across the face and ask me what the hell I’m doing.

Then my eyes catch sight of him.

He’s sitting on a leather sofa, girls either side of him, and right now his face is leant close to so he can hear something she’s saying.

“Jongin,” I whisper, “Jongin-ah.”

I want him to look up and notice me but he doesn’t even glance my way; he can’t hear me above the music.

“Jongin,” I call louder. I feel like I’m screaming but I can’t be because no one’s noticing me calling. “Jongin!”

There’s a yank, and I’m pulled out of the living room and into another room.

The sudden motion calls me to trip over myself and fall to the floor.

A swift Click.

The door is locked.

From my position on the floor everything is still whirling around. A pair of crisp white trainers stop in front of me.

“Don’t you try anything,” I warn, pointing a finger at him, “I’m not too drunk to not remember your face.”

“I’m not going to try anything, I’m just going to take care of you. I always take care of the drunken girls at parties.” Something in his voice makes me shiver violently. I get to my feet and back away.

“Stay away from me,”

My body is starting to realise I’m in danger and is trying to get me sober as fast as possible.

“Don’t worry,” He coos, “We’re just going to lie down together.”

“I really don’t know who you think you are,” I hiss, “But get your sick fantasies out of your head.”

He clamps a hand around my neck and my mind flashes back to the attack in my apartment.

This can’t be happening again.

He increases pressure around my neck until I can’t breathe and I stand there gasping like a fish against the wall. Tears are starting to gather in my eyes and I try to struggle but it’s taking all my energy not to fall unconscious at the lack of oxygen. Now his face is this close I can finally make out some features. He has a rough moustache on his upper lip and dark hooded eyes. I hear a clank as he fiddles with his belt buckle.

The sound causes the survival instincts kick in and I draw my leg back and knee him as hard as I can.

“Ugh ,”

He falls down like a bowling pin, clutching his crotch.

“You’re going to pay for that you stupid -”

Before he can even finish I throw my hand back, and with all the energy I can muster, I deliver a stinging slap to his face.

I don’t wait around for his response. The adrenaline in me seems to have overtaken the alcohol for the time being. Leaping over his fallen body, I fumble with the lock on the bedroom door and fling it open.

As soon as I break out into the hallway Suho and Sehun’s concerned faces greet me.

“Ara!”

“Where were you?” I scream at them.

“We were…”Suho begins.

“Just don’t,” I say, holding up a hand to stop his flow of words. I’m aware mascara is running down my cheeks and I dash a hand at my cheeks and push myself away from them and down the hallway. Sehun puts a hand on the front door to stop me from leaving,

“I’ll go and get Jongin,” I hear Suho mutter.

“Don’t get him, I don’t need him!” I shout, “You bring him here and he won’t ing survive.”

“Have you guys had an argument?” Sehun asks, confusion evident in his eyes.

“Let go of the door Sehun,” I say, glaring at his hand that is keeping the door closed.

“No, not until you talk to us.”

“As far as I’m aware, this is a party not a prison which means I am therefore entitled to leave when I want. Get off the door.”

“Ara?” Kyungsoo places a soothing hand on my shoulder but I flinch away. Behind him I see Sujin and Baekhyun advancing. I can already hear their questions, their comforting words, poor Ara losing control because Jongin’s not interested.

“Get off the door please Sehun,” I beg desperately, tears streaming down my face. “Please please just do this for me, I need to get out, I need to…”

He falters and his hand droops but that’s all I need. I wrench the door open and stumble out into the hallway. The thought of being enclosed in a lift makes me want to vomit so I pull open the door to the stairs.

“Ara!” I hear Sujin’s voice as I clatter down the first flight.

“Ara wait there for me!” Chanyeol’s desperate voice bounces off the walls.

I’m sobbing, big gulps as I run down the stairs, my hand skimming the banister as my feet leap down each step. Step step step step step, turn on to the next flight and repeat.

Before I get chance to attack the next flight of stairs a hand grabs my wrist and pulls me round into a hard chest. The scent instantly tells me it’s Jongin and I try to pull away from him.

“Get off me just get off me I am so tired of you right now,” With a great amount of strength, I manage to push him off me and turn to run down the stairs. On the third step he brings me to a halt again but I wrench my hand of his grasp, only for him to grab it again straight away.

“Didn’t you hear me Jongin!” I scream. His face doesn’t even flinch, he’s just looking steadily at me with his dark eyes. “Get off me, I don’t need you. When I did need you, you weren’t there so don’t think you can just come and save the day right now! Go back to your girlfriends, go back to dancing with all those girls! Go back to flirting and playing games and teasing people but just leave me alone. I never asked you to be here, all I asked is that you don’t waste my time! It’s not fair to make me feel like this if you have no intention of being with me!”

I stop, breathing heavily. He gazes back at me, an unreadable expression in his face,

“Have you finished?” He asks quietly.

I stare at him for a second.

“Yes,” I sigh, “Yes I’ve finished.”

“Good,” He says and steps towards me. One hand latches on to my waist to pull me closer and the other tilts my chin up. I’ve been in this position so many times before, so close that I can count every eyelash, so close that I can see the flecks of light brown in his eyes, so close that I can feel his warm breath fan over my face.

But this time is different.

Because it actually happens.

Gently, softly, sweetly he presses our lips together. The sensations flood my body, right down to the tips of my fingers and suddenly everything else empties my mind except the soft pressure of his lips as they coax mine into moving. Our noses brush together and his lips leave slightly, but then come back as he angles the kiss a different way. All I can taste and smell and feel is Jongin, my hands resting against his white shirt and his splayed on my hips.

Finally we draw back slightly until our foreheads are resting against each other. His lips are flushed red and puffy from kissing. His eyebrows are furrowed and he only has eyes for my lips.

“You can’t honestly believe I was messing you around right?” He mumbles quietly.

“I just find it strange how you wouldn’t kiss me,” I whisper, “Even though you wanted to. And then you found it so easy to just go and dance with other girls tonight.”

“I didn’t want to kiss you straight away before I figured a few things out. And as for those girls- I was trying to make you jealous. But it didn’t look like you noticed since you were with that guy.”

“No I wasn’t even going to dance with him, but then I looked over you were having a good time dancing with other people.” My eyes tear up at the image.

“No no no don’t cry over me,” He groans, pulling me against his chest and resting his chin on to the top of my head. “Please don’t cry over me. I wasn’t thinking straight, I let my pride get the better of me. It really hurts me when I see your tears. I’d rather you shout and hit me.”

“I don’t want to hit you,” I mumble, sniffing.

His chest raises against my cheek as he sighs hard.

“I’m such an idiot to hurt you like this.” He cups my cheeks and looks steadily and clearly into my eyes. His gaze is frank and honest. “But that stops tonight. From now on I will never try to hide my feelings. I don’t want you; I need you in my life. I need my biggest fan…” He smiles softly and kisses me again, his bee stung lips enveloping mine into a captivatingly slow kiss. “And I need the girl I like by my side.”

------------

A/N: Oh gosh, I hope this chapter makes sense and works out! Also hope you enjoyed reading it and stuffff, thanks a lot! <3