16-- Impressions

Who Are You?

So how the hell am I going to do this?

How am I going to convince six boys to accept plane tickets from someone they’ve never even heard of? If I suddenly got a phone call saying they’d sponsor me to visit my Aunty in London, I don’t think even I would accept. They’ll think I’m crazy, insane even or just joking around.

With no actual idea of what I’m going to say, I find myself looking at the list of numbers and trying to pick one to call. My Chinese is nonexistent so that rules out Tao and Lu Han. Kris sounds like an English name and I vaguely remember Suho saying something about Canada so I decide to give him a miss too. That leaves Jongdae and Minseok. I decide on Jongdae because his name starts with J like Jongin’s.

My fingers are shaking as I dial the numbers in. A huge part of me knows this is crazy, to just call up with no idea of a plan, but a loud voice in my head is telling me to trust my instincts.

“Hello?” Says a voice on the phone, thankfully in Korean. The voice sounds friendly and sweet but even so I’m left silent like I’ve suddenly forgotten how to speak. “Hello?” They say again, “You do speak Korean right? Because the phone number seems to be from Korea…”

“Uh yes, yes, I uh speak, I do speak,” I seem to be unable to string a sentence together. “I do speak Korean. Yes sorry, I’m just kind of nervous.”

“Nervous?” The voice laughs easily, “Why are you nervous?”

“Well uh the thing is,” I drag a hand down my face, “Why is this so freaking hard.”

“It’s okay, take your time.” Says Jongdae, “And don’t be nervous, I assure you I’m not some scary monster.”

“Thank goodness for that,” I give a little laugh, thankful that his voice is so inviting and warm. “Okay so I should probably introduce myself first right? My name is Ara-”

“Ara?” Jongdae says in shock.

“Uh yes…”

“Hold on a second,” He says hastily, “Stay right there!”

I’m at a loss for words. I stay on the phone line, gnawing my bottom lip. Finally the phone line crackles and a deep voice says:

“Ara? Is that you? Is everything okay?”

“Uhm yes everything’s fine, uh how do you know my name?” I say, completely spooked out.

“Are you kidding?” The voice laughs, “The boys talk about you all the time. It’s nice to finally hear your voice. I’m Kris by the way.”

“They talk about me?” I say softly.

“Yeah of course. They’ve told us all about you. I hear you’re looking after our friends really well.”

“More like they’re looking after me,” I chuckle.

“So what’s up anyway? There’s nothing wrong with any of them is there?”

“Oh no, no no no,” I say quickly, “No they’re all fine. It’s just that…” I take a deep breath. “Kris, can you keep a secret?”

“A secret?” He laughs, “Well I certainly like to think so.”

“No seriously,” I say, my stomach churning. “Can you really keep a secret? If I tell you this, you must promise me you can’t tell anyone. Not even your friends here in Korea; Not Jongin, not Suho, not Chanyeol. None of them.”

There’s a pause.

“You can trust me,” Kris says finally in a quiet voice, “I won’t tell anyone I promise.”

I inhale sharply and actually consider what I’m about to do.

I must be insane.

“I’m an heiress Kris,” I say. My voice is shaking slightly but the tone is firm. “My Father owns several companies and businesses and oil throughout the world. I have a lot of money.”

“How much are we talking?” Kris says quietly.

“Billions,” I whisper. “But the reason you can’t tell the boys is because I haven’t told them yet.”

“You haven’t told them that you’re worth billions of pounds?” Kris says incredulously.

“I know I know,” I wail, “We became friends so fast and I didn’t want to tell them in case they thought of me differently. Also I’m not really supposed to tell people for my own safety.”

“So where do we come in this?” Kris says hesitantly, “Do you want me to tell them or something…”

“No!” I shout, “No God no, that’s not what I want. Basically…basically I was thinking I could put my money to good use. By sponsoring you and the boys to come to Korea for a couple of weeks. To see your friends.”

What? You want to spend thousands...”

“We’ve established I’ve got that kind of money,” I try and say lightly,

“On flight tickets for a couple of boys you’ve never met? Why would you want to do that for us? I don’t understand.”

“I know it seems really weird Kris.” I sigh, “I know that. But this is something I really want to do. I was there…that night that Tao called Suho to say there’d been a car accident. The boys were round at my house. You should have seen their faces Kris, it was painful to see. I thought Sehun was going to explode. And then Suho told me the story of how you guys split up and as cheesy as it sounds, it really broke my heart.”

Kris is silent on the phone. I struggle on.

“Listen, buying plane tickets for you guys would not only make you all happy but it would make me happy. To see that I’m putting the money to good use. Giving you guys the chance to see the people you grew up with.”

“Ara listen,” Kris says, his voice still full of shock, “This sounds incredibly sweet of you, and I’m literally in shock that you’d want to do this for us, but I can’t, I really can’t accept this gift from you. We haven’t even met!”

“We can meet if you take the money for the tickets Kris!” I say.

“You know what I mean. I’d feel guilty and cheap taking money from a girl to pay for plane tickets. Look, me and the boys are saving up to come to Korea for a bit anyway.”

“And how long will that take?” I say, “Months? Years? Decades? What if something happens again Kris. These boys nearly lost you and Lu Han, what if something else happens?”

“Why do you want to do this for us Ara?” He just sounds so confused. “I really don’t get it? I understand you care for Jongin and the rest of them but, this, this is a big deal.”

“I know that. It would mean so much to them if you were able to come over for a bit, even if it was just for a week.” I try and coax any sign of agreement out of him, “Wouldn’t you want to see them again? When’s the last time you saw them? Not for years right? Just think about it, all of you reunited again…”

“You’re making this sound like some Korean drama,” Kris laughs hesitantly.

I join in his laughter shakily.

“And also,” I bite my lip and look at the bracelet I always wear around my wrist. “Also I know my Mother would want me to do this. She’s…” My voice chokes slightly and I blink hard. “She’s not alive right now. But I know if she was she’d want me to give this gift to you guys. Definitely.”

Kris is silent on the phone again. I can hear him mumbling to himself this is crazy, we can’t just take all this money.

“You don’t have to make a decision right now,” I say after a while, “But at least think about it? Then tell me in a few days time?”

“Okay,” Kris sighs, “Okay I’ll think about it. And you should also think about if this is what you want to do. It’s a lot of money Ara.”

“And you guys have a lot of love for each other. Money isn’t the be all and end all of everything. Money is dangerous.” I think back to my Mum, “Especially in my family. It’s about time I put it to good use.”

Kris agrees to take down my number and I read it out to him.

“I’m not saying I agree to this by the way,” He says sternly, “I’m just saying I’ll think about it.”

“I know that,” I sigh, “I’m grateful for that at least. You remember your promise right?”

“Don’t worry I won’t tell them.” Kris says. “But you should before they found out some other way.”

“Don’t worry I’m working on it, believe me.” I sigh, rubbing my face tiredly.

Kris and I exchange a couple more words before hanging up. Just before he goes he says:

“Ara. Let me ask you one thing. How comes you can tell me about your inheritance so easily but not the boys in Korea?”

I close my eyes and think. Think of all the memories I’ve shared with my new friends. Think of the way they look at me, just some silly little girl who lives in a cosy apartment in Seoul. A normal girl, nothing special. I think of Jongin and my relationship with him. All the memories I’ve created with them. Kris’ reaction to my inheritance reminds me what a big deal it is to be an heiress. I should have told them from the start before they could create all this impressions and memories of me. But I didn’t.

“Because you don’t know me yet,” I say softly, almost sadly, before hanging up the phone.

----------------

A/N: Yoyoyo! Sorry if there's any mistakes or errors, had to finish this quickly  before going to my sisters house! Hope you enjoy it! See you on Thursday for the next update! Thanks thanks thanks thanks! <3