Chapter 2

Ice Cold

We spent the whole weekend together. Her telling me how to be cold and me cuddling up with her and giving her kisses now and then. She got quite annoyed with me, thinking that I was not paying any attention to her as I would stare at her lips move as she speaks. She’s very cute when she’s mad but I wouldn’t dare tell her that. If I did, she would probably have me dead.  ­

“You can’t smile at all. You must keep your posture straight. Look at things as if they’re not there. And remember, just relax your face. You have the natural cold look, that should help you,” she said.

I took note of everything she instructed me.

“Being cold would help me out with my grades too, right? I mean, you’re the top student in school and you’re very cold, babe. Does being cold really help bring your grade up?” I asked hopping this could be an opportunity to bring my grades up. Because face it, other than math, I am terrible when it comes to school work.  

“No because I actually listen in class and learn.” I mentally cursed at how this change would not help me academically. “And yes because I don’t really worry about what people think of me and that is something that most people worry about which is one of the main distractions from studying – worrying about how you look, who you have to impress, trying to fit in, having the most friends, all are just distractions,” she said.

I gave her that look, the look of loneliness. The look that asks her if she finds me a distraction too. Her shoulders slumped, meaning my moping at her statement made her reconsider her words.

“I’m not saying that it’s bad to have friends – it’s not. Just not get too influenced by them,” she said not really getting the message.

I sighed, “How about me? Am I distraction?”

“Yes, a very big distraction indeed. With you always trying to get kisses and hugs and wanting to hold hands and cuddle, you are the biggest distraction I have ever encountered,” she said without hesitating. “But,” her arms wrapping around my neck and shoulder pulling me closer to her, “You are one distraction I want to keep.”

I smiled hearing her answer. I attacked her lips with mine encircling my arms around her tiny waist to pull her towards me closing the gap between our bodies. With our lips parting and our tongues getting in contact fighting each other, the kiss became passionate.

She was the first to pull away, as usual. She is still not comfortable with the skin ship but she’s slowly getting adjusted with me always cuddling with her. She gave me one of the smiles that no one other than me has seen – her sweet smile.

Monday came like a tidal wave, crashing our great weekend. I woke up to the shuffling of her feet as it hit the hardwood floors. She was already dressed in her school uniform, white, long-sleeved button-up blouse tucked in her dark-blue plaid skirt and her tie wrapped around the collar and lays straight and aligned with the opening of her blouse, her bag in her hands organizing her books as she puts them in when I lifted my head up. I let my head fall back down on the pillow when she walked up to me. She shook me lightly telling me to get up and ready myself for the day ahead of us. She stated her leave before she placed a kiss on my cheek.  I didn’t get up until I heard the low purr of her car as it drove out of the garage.

We had to go separately to school because we “broke up.”  As I enter the school gates, I can spot her shiny white Infiniti q50 parked in her regular parking space, near the entrance of the school building. I pull up to the parking space next to hers and parked my white Lincoln mkz.

Here goes nothing, I thought.

I walk through the all too familiar hallways earning the usual stares and giggles. Pink faced girls giving me smiles and waves as they greeted me. My face was blank, my back was straight, and my appearance was fixed to an image of someone cold. I didn’t give back a reply and kept walking straight.

There at the end of the hallway, I could see my group of friends. Eleven heads popping out of the sea of people. As per usual, they were the loudest, probably could be heard from miles. They were conversing on how their weekend went or something like that. Whatever it was, it left one of my tallest friends, Chanyeol, laughing and clapping his big hands like a seal. I walk up to them, keeping that bored look.

“Hunnie,” Luhan, my best friend, greets. “How was your weekend?”

All ears were on me. What would Jaehee say if she was asked this question, I mentally panic. Remembering everything she told me, I monotonously say, “Why? Do you really want to know, or are you just asking for the heck of it?”

“Whoa dude. What’s up? Something bothering you?” my slightly dark friend, Kai, asks.

“He’s probably still getting over the whole Jaehee thing. So when do you want your prize maknae?” Baekhyun, who sported faked glasses and blonde hair, says slightly amused.

“Keep the damn prize.” I walk away and headed to my classroom, where I’m positive I would find her, with my friends tailing behind muttering words of concern towards me.

And I was right. There she was sitting in her usual spot at the back corner of the room next to the windows that displays the light, never ending sky with the students keeping a five-to-ten feet radius from her. She must have scared them already. I turn to my friends as if I wanted an explanation on why the desks around her were empty.

“She came to school all scary like. Someone tried joking around with her saying ‘the Ice Princess does have a heart after all’ then she gave that poor guy the coldest look ever. I swear it could have killed him. I even saw her look, I thought that I would freeze or something,” Kai shivers. “Then you want to know what she said afterward? She said, ‘I didn’t have a heart to begin with.’ I don’t know what you told her Sehun but she’s colder than before and it’s kind of scaring everyone. No one wants to be near her.”

I look at her. Her face was in a book again, the book that I dread so much, the book that has her on her feet and letting out smiles and giggles, the book that has her head-over-heels for the main character, the last book of the Infernal Devices series. Oh, how I envy that book and the main character of the book, Will Herondale.

The first time she told me about this book, or series for that matter, a smile never left her lips. She talked about the main character as if he was real. To her, he was. He was the definition of perfection to her. She told me everything about him. From his looks to his hatred for ducks, his curse, his love for the heroine, how self-loving he can be, and to every single detail of him. I wouldn’t be lying if I say that she has her favorite lines memorized and most of those lines were his. As silly as it seems, I consider him my worst enemy.

Seeing the only desks available were around her; I walk to the desk on her right and settle myself there. My friends stare at me indifferently, as if I were to die on the spot. Maybe to them and everyone else, I might, but I know that if she has her mind preoccupied, she wouldn’t even give me a glance. Gasps filled the room as I sat down next to her with whispers coming after.

I took a glance at her from the corner of my eyes. Her smile was hidden behind that book, blocked from the rest of the students. I look back at my friends. Finally realizing that there were no other desks but those around Jaehee and I, they fought for the spot next to my desk.

Above all the ruckus created by my group of friends, a petite girl with light brown locks that curled at the tips that hung just above her waist came towards me. I knew this girl well; she and her group of friends have been accustomed with my group from the very beginning of junior high. Her name was Im Yoona, the school’s queen.

“Oppa,” she calls me despite her being older than me, “I thought you and the Ice Wanna-Be broke up after you told her that it was all a bet. Why are you sitting next to her?”

I was taken aback but kept up my act. Ice Wanna-Be? I always thought she was afraid of her, like everyone else. She never had any problems with her, nor did I hear her say anything bad about Jaehee before. Then it hit me.

 “Students are going to make a lot of bad comments about me, revealing their true selves. Especially those girls that like to stick to you and your friends like glue, I know they don’t like me. ”

Is this what Jaehee meant about that?

Telling her about the situation of the unoccupied desks around Jaehee being the only ones available, I still held my composure not hinting about my anger towards her name calling. She let out a noise of dissatisfaction. She crosses her arms under her chest, lifting her s higher. Out of curiosity, I asked about her name calling unfazed by her action.

“Because the real Ice Princess is Ssica unnie. Everyone knows that,” she points out her friend with the hair dyed dark blonde who was eyeing the catastrophe next to me with a smile lingering about her lips.

I scoff at her statement. I sent a cold look towards Yoona as I told her to leave. Being stubborn, she sat on top of my desk and asks about the “break up.”

“Did she cry oppa? You should have recorded the whole thing so I can have a good laugh.”

My anger boiled. I have always thought of her to be nice and sweet. Always showing her cute and childish side – her innocence, always crying for the littlest things, I have always thought that she was fragile and beautiful as a flower.

A loud, ear-bleeding noise interrupted the whole class, especially my friends who ended up in knot. I look to my left to see Jaehee standing up, her book down and her smile gone, with her chair – the source of the noise – slightly pushed back. She casts a cold glare towards my friends whose eyes were also towards her. Their Adam’s apple bobbed as they swallowed a ball of saliva and the sound of their gulp could be heard. Their faces turning a pale shade and some were hiding behind another as Jaehee held her gaze towards them.

Yoona, who was trying to be brave, stood up. “What’s your problem?” she let out dramatically.

Jaehee shifts her gaze towards the girl who stood up against her. Eyes widened with Yoona’s sudden bravery and anticipated what Jaehee was going to do to her. With her right hand on her hip, Yoona shifted all her weight on her right leg bending her left and points an accusing finger towards Jaehee. “Look here you anti-social freak, just because you got your stupid heart broken and probably cried the whole damn weekend and you’re probably going to cry again after school, doesn’t mean you can be more of a than you already are. And get your head straight, the whole thing was a bet. Your ‘relationship’ with Sehunnie wasn’t real. It doesn’t mean anything. You shouldn’t be getting jealous of me talking to him and sitting on Hunnie’s desk. What we do is none of your concern.”

Jaehee raises of one her eyebrows trying to understand Yoona’s point. Without a care, Jaehee picks up her book and heads to the front of the classroom ignoring the raging girl in front of me. Eyes followed her as she made her way to the teacher’s desk. She pulls back the chair settling herself down as she continues to read her novel not before she let out a cold, stern message telling the students to quiet down.

Just before Yoona would let out another outburst, the teacher enters the class causing her to let out a silent tantrum as she stomps her foot, crosses her arms over her chest and sticks her lower lip out in a pout. The whole class including Jaehee, who was still at the teacher’s desk, stood up and greeted the teacher.

Kim songsaeng-nim, our English teacher, set his bag on his desk ignoring the girl that sat upon it. “Okay class, before the bell rings, I’m telling you now that there is a test today.” The class groaned. “Better study now, unless you want to fail. Its eighty-five percent of your grade, by the way.”

With that said everyone took out their study material and began studying for the said test. Even my friends, who got out of the knot, took a seat without further argument. I look up to Jaehee being a little worried. She was having a conversation with our teacher. Probably about the test, I thought. Her being an overachiever and the first rank of the school, it wouldn’t be hard to believe if she was asking about extra-credit opportunities.

After the brain cramping test, which was timed for thirty minutes, the class was given the permission to talk among ourselves. I could hear many students talking about the test. Complaining about how it was timed, and how the difficulty level was pretty unfair since Kim songsaeng-nim did not mention this before the weekend. Some people were worrying if they failed or passed the test. My friends were being their idiotic selves as some fell asleep.

I kept my eyes on Jaehee, who was still at the teacher’s desk. I wondered why she did not take the test and how she did not get punished for sitting there.

Her eyebrows were scrunched up in the middle, projecting her annoyance to her novel that she was still reading. I had to hold back the urge to go up to her and poke the wrinkled center between her eyebrows to smoothen them. And give her a kiss of assurance.

The bell rang indicating the end of our first block and the start of break. Everyone scurries out of class as Kim songsaeng-nim bid them a farewell. His gaze fell on me as he calls out for me. “Oh Sehun haksaeng, please stay back. I would like to have a word with you,” he says sternly.

The door of the classroom shut as the last student left the class. All that’s left was Kim songsaeng-nim, Jaehee, and I.

“Jae, I said I needed to talk to Sehun, get out of my class,” Kim songsaeng-nim caught the attention of the said girl.

“Whatever you’re going to tell him, I’m guessing it concerns me. I told you everything is fine, didn’t I? I still don’t get why you had to hold him back Key oppa,” she replies our teacher.

Confused on why Jaehee was talking to our teacher as if they were friends and how she called him “Key” and especially “oppa,” I listen in to their argument.

“Yah,” Kim songsaeng-nim slightly hit Jaehee’s arm, “We’re in school. You’re supposed to call me accordingly.”

“Like it matters! Its only us and him,” she points towards me.

Kim songsaeng-nim gave her a look of dissatisfaction before turning towards me. “Now, Oh Sehun, I called you to stay back because I am concerned about the rumor going around about you and Jaehee haksaeng,” he says as if the conversation he had with Jaehee never happened.

“Ugh!” Jaehee groans. “I told you not to believe that stupid rumor Key oppa. The other two idiots would have listened to me, why don’t you for once?” Jaehee says before I could have replied.

Kim songsaeng-nim gave me a cold glare, ignoring Jaehee. “What rumor, sir?” I ask.

“The dating rumor of you and Jaehee. Apparently, you two ‘broke up’ because she found out it was a ‘bet’ and now I’m wondering if it’s true. I know it’s none of my business being a teacher and all, but as a concerned friend, I would like to hear your story,” Kim songsaeng-nim admits.

So they’re friends? How, I thought.               

This is something Jaehee never mentioned to me. Whenever I ask her about her friends, she kept quiet. So I thought that she didn’t have any. I knew her parents, I met them before. She told me about having two older brothers, whose names and faces are still unknown to me.

“Sir I assure you, we did not break up,” I confirm. “I’m too much in love with Jaehee to break up with her, moreover, break her heart.”

“So I called your brothers up for nothing?!” Kim songseang-nim blurted.

“YOU WHAT?! You want him dead don’t you?!”

 

-----------------------------------------------------

Not really satisfied with the results so I'm giving this another try. Here is Chapter 2. Leave a commnet below about your thoughts about the story.