neighbors

baekyeol random drabbles / oneshots
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

wanted to fluff but haaaaahh i failed miserably again. ;__;

To say that Baekhyun is surprised seeing Chanyeol at the gate of his university would be a big fat lie. He is pleasantly astonished, for the fact that the older man is waiting for him to finish his night class so that they can go home together again.

He really is waiting for me, right?

It is almost far from wrong for Baekhyun to think like that because one, Chanyeol’s office is just meters away from Baekhyun’s university, and two, the taller man knows no one other than Baekhyun in Yonsei University. Well, Chanyeol also knows Sehun, Baekhyun’s best friend, since Baekhyun drags Sehun along in most of their meet ups, but that is all. The two tall lads even barely talk to each other so it is impossible for Chanyeol to pick Sehun up and not Baekhyun, no? Besides, this is not Chanyeol’s first time doing this.

“Are you here for me again?” Baekhyun cautiously asks as he stops in front of a smiling Chanyeol. His heart immediately goes thump thump thump and he can feel the contagious effect of that smile but he tries his hardest not to show it. Perhaps it has been weeks, or months, or years since the first time Baekhyun reacted this way to the older’s smile. And perhaps it has been weeks, or months, or years since the first time Baekhyun realized that, yes, he is in love with his neighbor.

Chanyeol’s smile turns into a playful smirk as his arm moves to drape itself over Baekhyun’s shoulders. “Who else do you think I’m here for?”

“Sehun, maybe?” Heart, please calm down. “Or someone I don’t know.”

“Tsk,” the young salary man softly bumps the side of his head against Baekhyun’s. “I don’t think I’m that close to anyone other than you here to the extent of picking them up from their night class.”

The racing heartbeat Baekhyun feels is totally uncalled for. “We’re not that close, too.”

“Says someone who got the privilege to call a man older than him by five years without adding hyung,” Chanyeol lets out a soft chuckle and starts walking after casually taking the economics books from the younger’s arms. Helping Baekhyun with his books is just one of the little things Chanyeol always does; at times, he volunteers to bring Baekhyun’s heavy backpack or offers a piggyback ride when the latter looks so tired to even move a finger. And it surely is not Baekhyun’s fault that he falls for Chanyeol just a bit more and more for those little things.

But he knows, as he tells himself every single day, that Chanyeol will never feel the same because there is Jongin, and he knows he is nothing compared to Chanyeol’s gorgeous co-worker.

Chanyeol should have become an actor in a box office movie or something instead of just being a salary man in SM Corporation. Why? Because the big smile he offers whenever Baekhyun comes to their meet ups with Sehun is definitely fake at its best. He never says it out loud, but he always hopes that his neighbor comes all by himself to meet him. It is not like he hates Sehun, absolutely nope, but he just wants to have a quality time with only Baekhyun at his free time. Perhaps it has been weeks, or months, or years since the first time he felt this selfish to have Baekhyun all for him for a meanwhile. And perhaps it has been weeks, or months, or years since the first time he knew that his heart beats for the beautiful student.

Is it wrong for Chanyeol to fall for Baekhyun when he is the first person the latter calls when he needs someone to listen to his problems and not Sehun? Is it wrong for Chanyeol to fall for Baekhyun when he is the first person the latter goes to when he needs a shoulder to cry on and not Sehun? Is it wrong for Chanyeol to fall for Baekhyun when he is the first person the latter hugs whenever he wins a hapkido tournament and not Sehun?

Chanyeol realizes how deep he has fallen for the shorter. However, he also knows, as he tells himself every single day, that Baekhyun will never feel the same because there is Sehun, and he knows he is nothing compared to Baekhyun’s awesome best friend.

He never directly asks Baekhyun or tells him what they are, but he never hears the latter addresses him as his anything other than neighbor, or best, just friend.

“Yeolie, where are you?”

“On my way to the cinema. I’ll be there in ten minutes. Are you there already, Baek?”

“Mmhm. I’ve bought the tickets already. Got F5 and F6, I hope you don’t mind it.”

“Oh God, I forgot to tell you that Jongin would come along.”

“Huh?”

“He’s been pestering me to watch this movie we’re going to watch now so I promised to let him tag along when we go to the cinema for this movie. Can you please buy three tickets for us so that the three of us can sit together in a row? I’ll pay for all the five tickets later when we meet.”

If only Chanyeol were in front of Baekhyun, he would be able to see the bitter smile on the shorter’s face.

“No need. Just come here quick and I’ll give these tickets to you. I suddenly remember I have an appointment with Sehun.”

“What are—”

“I’m standing in front of the studio three, okay?”

“Baek—”

“Do you want me to buy the popcorns for you and Jongin hyung as well? Or maybe coke?”

And as the questions flow, there is this little voice at the back of Baekhyun’s head telling him that he will never have Chanyeol all for himself. Not today, and perhaps not tomorrow as well.

Chanyeol is actually not one to believe in the magic of being in love with someone. However, he will never deny how his heart melts at the sound of Baekhyun’s laugh, he will never deny how his heart skips a beat at the sight of Baekhyun’s crescent eyes as he smiles, he will never deny how his heart aches at the sight of a crying Baekhyun when he misses his parents in Bucheon, and he surely will never deny how his heart leaps out of his chest at the sight of Baekhyun getting hit on hapkido tournaments.

And Chanyeol will never deny how his arms badly want to stay wrapped around Baekhyun’s petite frame whenever they share a goodbye hug before going to their respective houses.

It greatly surprises him, though, that Baekhyun’s smooth cheeks turn a darker shade of red and a small smile dances on his pink lips as he gives a congratulatory kiss on the smaller’s forehead on his graduation day. A spark of hope bursts from his heart, maybe he likes me too, but it soon vanishes unceremoniously as he witnesses how Sehun hugs Baekhyun tightly and his precious one gives his best friend a bigger, brighter smile.

Or maybe not.

God must have a big interest in making Baekhyun crazy with all His plans. Just when Baekhyun declares that he has decided to stop having feelings for Chanyeol, the older man invites him to his house for a friendly dinner, just the two of them. Although reluctant, because he is afraid his heart will just betray him, he still agrees to go.

Maybe it is because of how many times he has visited Chanyeol’s house that he feels this certain familiarity as he steps in the expensive-looking house. And maybe it is because of how many times he has visited Chanyeol’s house that he remembers where this or that kitchen tool is as he helps Chanyeol in making the dinner because he comes too early.

“So, have you gotten a job already, Baek?” Chanyeol inquires as he casually wipes the sauce off Baekhyun’s lips with a napkin. They have finished their dinner but the house owner hopes for a longer quality time with the freshly graduated student.

“I applied at the company Sehun’s father owns and they offered me this promising position, but…”

“But…?”

“But I have to leave Seoul if I agree.” I have to leave you. “The branch I will be placed is not in this town.”

“Where is it?”

“Daegu.”

Silence soon envelopes them and Baekhyun swears he sees something akin to sadness on Chanyeol’s eyes but then—

“Accept it. I think it’s a great chance.”

—Chanyeol’s smile proves him wrong.

“Do you think so?” It takes a lot of effort for Baekhyun to not choke on his words.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter