---

baekyeol random drabbles / oneshots
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

writen for herlyn. i fell asleep in the middle of writing this so i'm sorry if you find a gap in this story because i forgot the idea. /awkward laugh/ not really the fluff with slight!angst you want (this turned out to be so cliché) but this is what i could think of. ;__;

 

♫ You got me counting the seconds, it happens everytime. ♫

 

Most people agree that dating your best friend is the best kind of relationship you can ever have. Why? Because they know you inside out, they say; because they know your strengths and weaknesses, they say; because they know how to deal with you best, they say. But no matter what people say about being in a relationship with your best friend can make you feel all good and blah blah blah, Baekhyun demands an argument on that.

Upon realizing that he’s indeed in love with his best friend named Park Chanyeol, he can’t help but feel troubled at the thought of the possibility of being boyfriends with him. Does Chanyeol feel the same? Does Chanyeol want him in the way he wants Chanyeol? The friendship they have right now is perfect already; he doesn’t dare to imagine getting it all shattered into pieces if he confesses his love for his best friend.

Chanyeol is the best he can have; Chanyeol is that kind of friend who will always slow down his walking because Baekhyun’s legs aren’t as long as his, Chanyeol is that kind of friend who will always immediately take the cucumber out if there’s any in Baekhyun’s dishes, and Chanyeol is that kind of friend who will always shamelessly cheer for Baekhyun as he’s playing soccer in the field when no one else cares to do so.

It’s safe to say that Baekhyun has grown up in Chanyeol-y environment and vice versa because, really, they are like each other’s shadow. When Baekhyun has to stay late at school for soccer practice, Chanyeol will patiently wait for him on the bleachers. When Chanyeol has to attend his weekly basketball practice, Baekhyun will just chat with Kyungsoo on the sideline to kill the time before they go home together.

They’ve been friends since Chanyeol’s ferret days and thinking if he should bring his friendship with Chanyeol to the whole new level called relationship… no, he doesn’t want to think about that. He won’t deny that sometimes he secretly contemplates when the right time to spill the beans is, though.

 

♫ And every time that you're near me, my heart is running away. ♫

 

Baekhyun is screwed up more and more.

He now finds it hard not to blush when Chanyeol randomly winks at him when they pass by each other in the hallway, he now finds it hard not to stutter when Chanyeol gives him his full attention as he waits for him to tell how his day was on their way home after school, and he now finds it hard not to blurt his heart out when Chanyeol calls him goodnight right before he goes to bed.

It also doesn’t help that Chanyeol still practically sticks to him everyday in their high school days. They go to school together, spend lunch break together, and wait for each other after school to go home together. They’re not in the same class but Chanyeol always comes to his house with an excuse of please help me to understand this subject and adorable pleading face Baekhyun can’t say no to but, tsk, they mostly end up playing Xbox or laying on their stomachs to read manhwas together—not that Baekhyun would complain, though. He likes having the taller boy around but at the same time he dislikes it because his racing heartbeat isn’t a sign of good thing, right?

Baekhyun finally promises himself to never let Chanyeol know that he has feelings for him. He knows it’s for the best because he doesn’t want the latter to leave him in case he doesn’t feel the same way. He doesn’t want to spend his bubble tea all by himself, he doesn’t want to read manhwas all by himself, and he surely doesn’t want to have no one to wipe his tears when he’s watching sad movies.

He thinks he knows what’s best… but sometimes people can be wrong, right?

 

♫ How can I tell you when words don't come easy and there is so much I'm trying to say. ♫

 

Time has the power to change lots of things, Baekhyun agrees. His silly and happy-go-lucky Park Chanyeol has transformed into a gorgeous heartthrob many would like to date as they start their life as university students. Chanyeol is now a head taller than him although he’s younger and has this unique charm that pulls boys and girls into him at first glance. His innocent jetblack hair has turned into charming honey brown hair and his stupid grin has turned into breathtaking smile.

On the other hand, Baekhyun also realizes that he’s changed as well. He was always calm and composed even when people got too close to Chanyeol when they were in high school but he can’t seem to be like that now. He fakes a smile when some boys drag Chanyeol away from him for a basketball game, he mentally screams hands off! when some girls touch Chanyeol and ask if he could teach them how to play guitar, and he secretly balls his fists when some seniors steal Chanyeol away from him for a hang out session which results in him going home all by himself.

“Baek?”

Baekhyun just hums and pushes his shoulder up, pushing his phone closer to his ear and clicking here and there on a website. He was in the middle of doing his paper about Land and Housing Markets when an email popped up—an email he’s been waiting for long. He screamed in happiness and immediately called Chanyeol to share the joy but his best friend told him to call back later because he was busy helping his senior in International Law class who urgently needed his help. He was disappointed so he didn’t call back, that’s why Chanyeol did it himself because the latter must have realized that. “What’s up?”

“How was your day?”

Baekhyun stops reading his book and blinks because… oh right, we didn’t go home together again today. “So-so.”

“So-so?”

I was scolded by Mr. Jung because I fell asleep during his lesson. Don’t judge, he was boring!  But I got praised by Mrs. Han because I got A+ for my paper about Urban Economics so I felt better. Baekhyun looks down at his legs. And I have scratches on my knees because I fell hard when I was playing soccer with Luhan after lunch. “Mmhm, nothing special.”

There is a pregnant silent before a weak oh is heard from the other line.

How was your day? What did you have for lunch? Did some girls flirt with you again? “Yeah.”

“Umm, what are you doing now?”

“Just finishing up my paper.” What are you doing now, Yeol? Where are you? Have you had dinner?

“Ah, okay.”

Baekhyun knows that tone well; he knows Chanyeol still has something to say but he’s afraid to say it. “What is it, Yeol?”

“Can we… umm, can we have breakfast together tomorrow? Tomorrow is Saturday and both of us don’t have class on Saturday.” A pause. “I miss you, Baek. I didn’t get to see you at all today.”

A smile immediately creeps its way into Baekhyun’s lips. I miss you, too. “Okay.”

“Good!” Judging from the reply, Baekhyun can imagine how wide his best friend’s smile is right now. “What do you want for breakfast tomorrow?”

Just you being here with me would be more than enough. “Anything would be fine, Yeol.”

 

♫ Tell me you'll care for me now and forever. ♫

 

“I’m going to Prague.”

“Prague?”

Baekhyun gives a nod at Chanyeol who is sitting on his bed with a manhwa in hands. It’s a week after Baekhyun received the email and he doesn’t have the heart to hide the good news forever so this is it. He walks up to his study desk and picks up a paper before holding it up for his best friend. “Singing competition.”

Chanyeol takes the paper and reads what’s printed there. His big eyes widen as he notices something. “We won’t celebrate your birthday together here? Baek—”

“It’s okay, Yeol,” Baekhyun jumps backwards and his petite body bounces on the bed, his left hand atop of his right one on his stomach. “I mean, it’s Prague! Prague, man! I’ll get to celebrate my birthday overseas! Awesome, isn’t it?”

“We won’t celebrate your birthday together here,” Chanyeol repeats but this time it’s not in a questioning tone. The sentence was said in such a cold manner and, no, Chanyeol barely speaks like that unless something really pisses him off.

Baekhyun’s stomach churns in such an unpleasant way and he sits up only to see Chanyeol still staring at the paper. For some reasons he can guess that—

“You won’t be here to celebrate your birthday with me because you’ll be attending the final of this singing competition I don’t know anything about!”

—yes, just like what he’s expected; Park Chanyeol is upset.

“Why didn’t you tell me about this?”

Baekhyun gulps. Chanyeol didn’t raise his tone higher than his previous speech but it doesn’t mean he’s calmed down. He knows his best friend well; he knows Chanyeol just has this wonderful ability in covering up his real emotions. “I—I… I’m sorry, Yeol. It’s just… you’ve been busy nowadays and this isn’t that important so I—”

“Not that important?” Chanyeol scoffs in reflex, not realizing that it makes the shorter boy beside him slump his shoulders down. “You proceeded to the final of this worldwide singing competition and you said this isn’t that important? You’re being the representative of South Korea and you said this isn’t that important?”

“I’m sorry,” is all Baekhyun can say before he looks down and closes his eyes like a kid being scolded by their parents. He doesn’t have the courage to look at Chanyeol, afraid that he can’t stand seeing Chanyeol all angry and leave him alone in his room.

Giving him a tight hug and a big kiss on the cheek is definitely not in Baekhyun’s list of what Chanyeol’s reaction can be.

“Congratulation, baby!” Chanyeol pecks Baekhyun’s cheek once again, completely unaware of how stiff the latter is in his arms. “And, yeah, I’m sorry I’ve been neglecting my Baekhyunie these past few days. I’m such a bad friend, aren’t I? I’m sorry, Baek. Please forgive me.”

“N—no, you’re still my best friend.” Heart, please freaking calm down! “I know how busy you’ve been these days so it’s all okay.”

Another unexpected thing is how Chanyeol suddenly lifts Baekhyun’s body a bit to place him on his lap, successfully making the smaller boy blush madly. Smiling, he encircles his arms back around Baekhyun’s slender waist. “Now tell me about this singing competition.”

. “Umm, I auditioned online about… three months ago, you know, by sending a video of me singing, and I proceeded to the next round. It was last month, I think, when I had to sing for real in front of the judges. I went alone to the audition place because you had a basketball match at that moment.”

The hold around his waist tightens and Baekhyun knows that Chanyeol wants to say I’m sorry. He knows his best friend must be feeling bad now after realizing that he wasn’t there to give him some mental support at that time.

“One of the judges said that the result would be sent through email by the end of last week along with the airplane tickets if you passed. I thought I wouldn’t make it because, heck, the other contestants were amazing, Yeol! But then came the email on that day and I was so freaking happy after reading it and, good God, I still can’t believe I passed!” Baekhyun realizes he’s rambling right now but he doesn’t care. He’s happy and a happy him is always like that, all expressive with sparkling eyes and active arms. “I think I’m just one lucky boy.”

Chanyeol smiles widely, bringing his hand up to ruffle the brunette’s hair. “Nah, you’re talented, not lucky. You deserve it, Baek. You’ll be a famous singer in the future, I’m sure.”

“Tsk, no,” Baekhyun doesn’t even know why and how but he finds himself shifting a bit to get more comfortable on the younger boy’s lap. It’s after resting his head on Chanyeol’s shoulder that he finally realizes what’s happening—him getting physically too close to his crush slash best friend—but being in this position feels so nice so he doesn’t move away. “I can't.”

Chanyeol leans his back against the headboard and pokes the cheek of the boy on his lap. “You can be a famous singer, Baek, trust me. I’ll be your biggest fan!”

“You should be my manager!”

“No! Being your manager means waking up before you and getting on the bed after you, so nope! Tiring!”

“But didn’t you say it yourself that no one understands me better than you do?” There is a sudden awkward silence and dammit that sounds like we’re a couple so Baekhyun quickly saves the situation by saying, “You’re my best friend. The one and only best friend I have, Yeol.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter