The North Wolves

Canis Lupus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Yongguk woke up snarling, startled by a nightmare he just had, and he sat on his leaf bed, panting.

Zelo moved uncomfortably on the little bed next to his, incommoded by his father’s noises. He was sleeping in wolf form, nothing more than a big yellowish cub shrunken until he looked like nothing more than a fur ball.

Yongguk got up and walked to a box of carved wood that served as a cabinet, intending to get some water to drink, but on his way he ended up stepping on Zelo’s tail. The cub howled in pain and pulled away, shrinking to near the cave’s wall.

-Sorry, puppy. – Yongguk told him, and Zelo blinked a couple of times at the man before turning back into a ball and falling asleep again.

Yongguk sighed. Zelo was a big puppy already, almost turning fifteen, and though Himchan kept telling him he was still a baby, Yongguk thought it was time that his son chose or built his own den to live.

The man rubbed his sleepy eyes and finally got the jar of water, taking a big sip from it, not really bothering to use a cup or anything.

-Yongguk? – Himchan called from the den’s entrance, and the man glanced over to him.

-What’s wrong, Channie?

-It’s your father. – Himchan told his mate. - He’s not well… He wants to talk to you.

Yongguk nodded. His father had been deeply hurt in their latest battle and he and Himchan had been preparing themselves for the worse ever since.

The man quickly put on a pair of pants and went to the sunny day outside. He blinked a couple of times to get used to the strong light and then glanced around sleepily. There were a couple of men starting a fire to roast some meat for lunch and they bowed their heads to the leader’s son.

Yongguk greeted them and then directed himself to the largest cave around. In his way some of the people approached and bowed to him, expressing their condolences, to which he just nodded his head quietly. He wasn’t in the mood for being pleasant today.

There were at least seven wolves on the big den’s entrance, two guarding it as the others were there to give get-well gifts to the leader or to simply snoop around.

-Make way for the leader’s son. – Daehyun shouted to the wolves, who stepped aside and allowed Yongguk to enter the den.

The place was deep into the ground and it was really dark down there, so the man had to touch the walls with a hand to know where he was going.

-Father? – He called, while Himchan brought a fire torch and handed it to the man.

-Whatever you do, be quick. – The man whispered to Yongguk. – People are starting to get agitated. They want to know what will happen, who will lead them if something happens.

-Don’t worry, Channie, I’ll be right outside to talk to them.

Himchan gave the man a peck on the lips and returned to the door, as Yongguk went further down, using the torch to find his father lying in the end of the hole.

He stopped by his side, but the man didn’t open his eyes.

-Dad? – He called again softly, and then the man awakened.

-Yongguk… - He said weakly.

-I’m here. – Yongguk held the man’s hand and waited until he coughed and was able to speak again.

-I can trust you to take care of your mate and Zelo, right? – He asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

-Of course. – Yongguk answered. He tried to refrain himself, but tears already started to roll down his cheeks.

-Yongguk, my son. – The man smiled at him, drying one of his tears with a finger. – You are a strong man now. A warrior. Promise me you will protect our people and you won’t allow the north pack to die, no matter what.

-I won’t, I promise. – He told the man, holding on his hand even tighter. – But you’ll help me do it father, you’ll live to see me leading this pack.

The man smiled weakly. He meant to tell Yongguk he was wrong, but he was just too frail and his voice didn’t come out.

-Don’t leave me… Father, don’t leave me please…

Yongguk begged, but his father was already gone. The man let his head fall to his father’s chest and he cried his death for some brief minutes. Then he got up

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter