Chapter 6

Pursuit of Parallel Happiness

How did she recognize me though my whole getup?! This girl is just… wow.

 

I faked a cough as I recited something I came up last night if I were to meet my friends.

 

“Hi Jessica, I am Michelle! Remember me? Guess I looked too similar to my sister.” I said stiffly.

 

“Oh unnie, sorry.” She apologized as she eyed me curiously. Before she could question me, a girl bumped into Jessica along the crowded hallway. She muttered her apologies and moved on without looking back. As rude as I thought that was, I was grateful that she took Jessica’s attention away from me.

 

Unlike Taeyeon, Jessica and I were childhood friends, meaning she knew me and my family well. If there were anyone I should be careful with while I am here, it would definitely be her. 

 

“Have you seen Tiffany?” I asked although I knew exactly where she was.

 

“Dining hall, I think.” She replied curtly.  

 

Still the same ice princess huh?

 

Many would have mistaken her as arrogant based on the way she talked but her cold appearance was nothing in reflection of the person she was. She is very understanding and warm once you get to know her better. In fact, if Taeyeon never existed, I will probably consider her.

 

Ugh, no. Tiffany, focus.

 

Before we could continue our conversation further, I spotted a shadow stumbling behind the lockers. Sensing that I have already seen her, she walked up and awkwardly said, “Hi, what’s up? Oh Jessica! I didn’t see you here!”

 

HA. Trying a little too hard huh, Yuri?

 

“Hi.” Jessica replied coldly. “Let’s go find Tiffany.”

 

With that, she walked off and was quickly followed by Yuri. Amused, I watched Yuri as she awkwardly tried to keep up and make a conversation with Jessica.

 

Wow, didn’t know Yuri was that whipped since high school.

 

I grinned and shook my head as I made my way to the dining hall.

 

-

 

“Hi, sorry that I didn’t introduce myself earlier. I am Yuri, nice to meet you.” The tanned girl introduced herself to me as we settled down in the dining hall.

 

“And I am Taeyeon!” the blond hair girl interjected as she waved dorkily at me.

 

I held my breath as our eyes met. Time seemed to freeze at that moment. In fact, I was a heartbeat away from bawling my eyes out. I wanted to hold her in my arms so much and having her so close made me feel… helpless.

 

I was at the brink of losing control over my overwhelming feelings for the girl when I was saved by an awkward cough.

 

“Erhem, and that is my sister, Michelle.” Tiffany said as she gave me a glare.

 

“Sorry about that, I got distracted.” I said as I forced out a weak smile, not that they can see under my mask.

 

“TaeTae, let’s go get some food.” Tiffany quickly continued to break the looming awkwardness. “What do you guys want?”

 

“I will have to pass on that, I got to go meet Victoria.” Yuri said as she stole a quick glance at Jessica.

 

No response.

 

“It’s for a project we were assigned to.” She explained as she reluctantly stood up with her eyes still on the unperturbed girl.

 

“Whatever you are getting.” Jessica replied to Tiffany without acknowledging the leaving girl.

 

Yuri nodded her head towards me with a weak smile and looked a little hurt as she took another quick glance at Jessica before leaving the table. 

 

Aish, this girl. I thought as I looked at the oblivious girl.

 

Should I help these two as well, while I am at it?

 

“How about you, unnie?” Tiffany asked, stressing a little too hard on the last word.

 

Oh great, smartass. How do I eat without taking my mask off?! I thought as I mentally facepalmed.

 

“I am fine, just get me a drink with a straw.”

 

-

 

Awwww… We They looked so cute together. I thought as I continued to observe the pair at the queue.

 

“They looked cute together, don’t they?”

 

Ugh, what’s with Jessica and mind reading?

 

“Are you against such relationship?” she asked, seeing that I didn’t respond to her question.

 

“What?! No!” I exclaimed. “In fact, I am thinking about how to get them together.”

 

She cocked an eyebrow with apparent interest.

 

“What do you have so far?”

 

“I know Tiffany is definitely into her but I am not so sure about Taeyeon.” I replied honestly. Despite my longstanding friendship with Taeyeon, I never knew what I was to her. After all, I never got to confess my feelings.

 

“Leave that to me.” She said bluntly as she gave a knowing smirk.

 

O…kay. Why do I have a bad feeling about this?

 

-

 

There was nothing much to tell about the rest of lunch as it mainly comprised of me staring at Taeyeon, Jessica smirking at Tiffany while Tiffany and Taeyeon were in their own little world. Honestly, I was slightly jealous just by looking at their interactions, which was pretty uncalled for. To put in plain words, I was technically jealous of myself.

 

Fortunately, Jessica asked both of them over to her house for some studying session after lunch. That was quite normal, except that suggestive wink Jessica gave me before leading the other two away.

 

Ugh. I shivered at the thought of that particular wink. I wonder what that Jessica is up to.

 

I shrugged off those useless thoughts as I mindlessly flipped through the TV channels back at the house. I would probably find out soon anyway, when Tiffany returns later tonight from their study session.

 

I should get some dinner now.

 

Turning off the TV, I stood up and made my way to the front door when I heard the door unlock.

 

Why is she back so early?

 

“Tiff? I am home!”

 

My eyes widen and mouth agape as I stood face to face with the familiar stranger.

 

“M… Mum?!”

 

-

 

A/N:

Oops, busted! Haha...

And there you go, Yulsic! I know I have hinted about them earlier but here's where they make their official guest appearance!