Chapter 36

Pursuit of Parallel Happiness

I woke up the next afternoon still feeling tired. The multiple dimensions travelling within a day plus the drinking did quite some damage.

 

I slowly sat up to ease the headache but the pounding pain left me groggy. Glancing at the photo frame on my bedside, I picked it up and smiled.

 

“What a day, huh?”

 

I put it back gently and called out for Taeyeon.

 

“Taeyeon? Are you here?”

 

There was no reply. I shrugged it off and went to wash up.

 

Just as I made some sandwiches for myself, I decided that I wanted to have it with Taeyeon and so I packed them up. Despite the headache, I managed to head to the cemetery with a smile. It would be nice to see her again.

 

I searched the place but I couldn’t remember where her grave was exactly. That was weird. How could I forget?

 

As time passed and I swept the place for Taeyeon, I couldn’t for the hell of me, find her. I was getting frustrated when I spotted a familiar plot of land.

 

I was about to heave a sigh of relief when I stood in front of Taeyeon's supposed grave but to my utmost shock, the grave site was empty.

 

What is going on?!

 

I panicked.

 

How can I forget where she is?

 

I held onto my sandwich box for dear life as I looked around me, trying to get my orientation right when I saw Taeyeon standing next to a tree. I quickly ran and hugged her.

 

“Oh my gosh, I thought I lost you!”

 

“I am right here, silly,” Taeyeon chuckled.

 

“But where’s your grave? I can’t find it.” I asked, expecting her to laugh at my poor sense of direction.

 

“It’s not here.”

 

“What? I am sure its somewhere here.”

 

“No, it’s not.”

 

“What are you talking about? Stop playing with me! Why can’t you just let me be for a day?” I shivered in fear.

 

“Tiffany, Fany-ah!” Taeyeon called my name to get my attention. “It is not here.”

 

I shook my head. I am so disappointed with her. I thought last night was the end of my nightmare but she just had to keep doing this to me.

 

I threw my lunchbox on the floor and took out my pocket watch.

 

“Tiffany! Wait!” Taeyeon tried to stop me but to no avail.

 

I already pressed the knob.

 

-

 

“You have got to be kidding me.” I said when I noticed my surroundings.

 

I landed back at the cemetery.

 

I was expecting to see Taeyeon standing next to me but instead, an old lady stood frozen merely few steps away. She stared at me way too long and I was starting to feel uncomfortable. I noticed that she had a bag with her and I assumed it contained food.

 

After a full minute, she finally recomposed herself and walked calmly towards me with a smile.

 

I definitely have seen that smile before. I thought to myself but wasn’t sure where I have seen her. I don’t remember knowing someone her age.

 

“Hi there,” She spoke as she put down her things on the grave right next to me.

 

“Hello,” I greeted her formally before turning my attention to the tombstone.

 

In memory of Tiffany Hwang

Loving Wife and Mother

1989 – 2059

 

You have got to be kidding me.

 

-

 

“Taeyeon?” I asked and suddenly felt rude to call someone of her age by her name.

 

“Yes?” She replied with a smile and starting emptying her bag of food. Just as she took out some sandwiches, she offered them to me and I took it. It somehow felt wrong to reject the offer.

 

I stared at the sandwich and thought about the ones I just made earlier this afternoon. What a weird coincidence.

 

“Look at you, all young again. I am getting self-conscious now.” Taeyeon chuckled as she sat down next to the grave. “There better not be any suitors on the other side or I will personally beat the crap out of them with my walking stick.”

 

I blinked at her.

 

She thought… I am a ghost?!

 

“You broke your promise you know,” Taeyeon said sadly.

 

“Stupid old woman.” She added the last part as she lovingly picked off dried leaves from the grave.

 

“Huh?”

 

She looked at me and frowned.

 

“Don’t tell me you forget! And here I thought you finally got rid of your forgetfulness.” Taeyeon shook her head. “We made a promise to turn 100 together but you went 30 years early!”

 

“Oh, sorry.” I wasn’t sure what else to say.

 

“I will keep my promise though, so you can’t nag at me.” Taeyeon sighed. “I kinda miss your nagging.”

 

I smiled nervously. It felt wrong to say anything.

 

“Are you here for me?” She then asked.

 

“What? No!” I shouted, startling her. “Sorry, didn’t mean to shout.”

 

 “I almost forget you are so loud!” Taeyeon laughed.

 

“Hey!” I pouted.

 

We sat quietly next to the grave and she poured me a drink.

 

“So, what year is this?” I asked carefully.

 

She looked at me with an amused expression but answered me anyway.

 

“2069.”

 

“So I was gone for 10 years.” I noted, gulping when I referred to myself.

 

“Yeah, time flies.” Taeyeon drank from her own cup. “I am ready to go, you know.”

 

“What? No!” I almost shouted it out again but managed to tune it down a little.

 

“Don’t worry, I always keep my promises to you, remember? You made me promise to take good care of myself when you are gone so that I will do till my time here is up, whenever that is.” Taeyeon patted my hand to reassure me.

 

“When I said I am ready, I am just saying I have no regrets in this life anymore.” She smiled at me. “I had you for almost 60 years! And we had Seohyun and she had little Kyungsan. I am contented.”

 

“Do you miss…”

 

“Of course I miss you.” Taeyeon interjected before I could complete my question.

 

“How did you… you know, get over it?”

 

“I never did,” Taeyeon said. “Because you never left.”

 

“You are always here,” Taeyeon added as she placed her hand over her left chest. “And I am sure I would see you again and look where you are, right here with me.”

 

I nodded, not wanting to correct her. Perhaps letting her misunderstand that I am her Tiffany would be better. A white lie.

 

“Isn’t it hard..." I started again.

 

“It was. Why? You want me to suffer that hard?” Taeyeon joked.

 

“No! Of course not, I would have wanted you to move on and be happy.”

 

“And I did, I am happy and have been making the best out of what I can of this life,” Taeyeon replied. “Because that would have been what you have wanted for me. I will respect all your wishes.”

 

I nodded in silence and she continued to reminisce our past, full of laughs and hardship mixed into one story. And I never missed the glow on her face when she talked about our daughter and grandson. The pride was heartwarming.

 

I spent the rest of the afternoon listening to her that I forgot about the time. I would continue listening to her but we were distracted by a child shouting from a distance.

 

“Halmoni!”

 

Taeyeon turned around and stood up slowly, I quickly stepped forward to help her up. The little boy ran towards her and hugged her leg.

 

“What did I say about my brittle bones?” Taeyeon joked. “You have to be delicate with me so I can live longer.”

 

“Oh,” The boy pouted but opened his arms, silently asking Taeyeon to carry him.

 

“Aigoooo,” Taeyeon patted his head. “You are too heavy for me now.”

 

Then he turned his attention towards me.

 

“Can noona carry me?” He asked innocently.

 

Taeyeon looked at him and then at me, surprised.

 

“You can see her, Kyungsan-ah?”

 

“Uhuh.” Kyungsan nodded his head but looked a little confused with the question. “Umma is parking her car, she’s here to pick you up.”

 

“I am sure she is.” Taeyeon said as she ruffled the boy’s hair.

 

I saw a middle age woman approaching and decided I should take my leave.

 

“I should go,” I told Taeyeon and she nodded.

 

“Will I see you again?” She asked.

 

“Yes, someday.” I replied. “Hopefully not so soon.”

 

Taeyeon laughed but said nothing else.

 

I bided her and Kyungsan farewell and went on my way. Once I was far enough, I turned around and saw Kyungsan holding hands with Taeyeon and the middle aged woman.

 

Talking to the elder Taeyeon has calmed me down a little to think about what my Taeyeon would have wanted for me.

 

“You look different.”

 

I yelped in shock.

 

“You scared me!”

 

“You are timid to be a ghost.” Taeyeon teased.

 

“You heard?”

 

“Mmhmm.”

 

“I am sorry for being such a brat.” I apologized. “I will listen to you now and not worry you.”

 

Taeyeon merely smiled. “You are ready.”

 

“Ready to let you go?” I asked sadly.

 

“No, ready to talk to my Fany.”

 

-

 

A/N:

I am on a roll. Row row row your boat... Okay nvm me.