...

Sparks

 

Do your parents know about your power?”, he asked.

 

The question caught you off guard that you almost ran into a small newspaper dispenser.

 

Uh, yeah t-they know.”, you furrowed your brows.

 

What did they say when they found out?”

 

You didn't answer and stopped in front of the small apartment complex where you lived.

 

This is it.”, you pointed up weakly.

 

He looked at up, reading the small sign that was near the front door. When he turned back to you, you could feel all the questions ready to burst out of him.

 

Thanks for walking me. You should get back, it's late.”, you said and quickly tried to get to the door but he grabbed your arm.

 

You jumped a little felt him reciprocate the motion from the small zap you gave him. You pushed him away, nearly making him fall and covered your mouth. “I'm so sorry!”, you apologized, keeping your distance.

 

It's okay.”, he assured, giving you a little smile, “It was like static, don't worry.”

 

When you looked down, trying to control the worry and nearly crying because of it, he took a step closer to you. “What happened?”, he asked carefully.

 

Can't you just go into my head and find out for yourself?”, you snapped.

 

He flinched at your words but shook his head, “Just because I can doesn't mean I want to. I don't want to do that...not to you.”
 

Hearing that from him you regretted saying it, you couldn't lash out at him. Not after he had been so nice to you. Mumbling out an apology you sat down on the front steps and he followed suit.

 

When they found out what I could do, they made it clear that they didn't want to keep me anymore.”, your voice cracked, “I was seven years old when they came into my room and told me that we were going on a trip...”

 

V scooted closer to you, but you moved again, “I knew they were going to leave me somewhere, I just knew it and I begged them not to. I had never hurt anyone with my power, not on purpose and I couldn't understand why they wanted to get rid of me so bad.”

 

By now you were sobbing lightly and he slowly put his arm around your shoulders, despite you shaking it off and telling him not to.

 

It was an accident.”, you croaked, “I-I didn't mean to...”


You could feel the same panic from that night and started to shake lightly.

 

Remember how I said I can lose control of it if I'm mad or something, that's what happened.”, you found it harder to breath the more you explained it, “I was so scared Taehyung...I didn't want them to leave me and when they grabbed my arms I...It happened so fast and I couldn't stop it...”

 

You cried into your hands and felt his arms once again close around you, bringing you close to him.


“It was an accident.”, he said in your ear, “You were only a kid, it wasn't your fault.”

 

I didn't know what to do...and I didn't have a lot of time. So I sparked up one of the outlets in the house and went to the neighbors and made up a story. After the police came they tried to find a relative that could take care of me but, they all said they couldn't take me in so I was put into foster care.”

 

He shook his head, “Well it's their loss.”

 

You sniffed and wiped your eyes, “How would you know? You don't know me, V.”

 

He pouted right away and you felt yourself wanting to smile at how cute it was.

“What happened to calling me Taehyung? I've never heard you say my name before.”

 

You straightened up a little and he dropped one of his arms, keeping the one around your shoulders. “Because you said you didn't like it, you said that you'd like for everyone to call you V.”

 

He smiled shyly and looked at the sidewalk, “How many other kids live here with you?”

 

About ten.”, you pursed your lips.

“And you'd still rather stay here than go back and stay with us?”

 

He stared at you as you contemplated it in your mind. Really though, what did you have to lose?

 

Jin's going to have to stop calling me Sparky.”, you said, hiding the giggle that wanted to escape.

 

V laughed, leaning on you a bit, “We can talk about it...He probably won't though.”

 

You walked inside as quietly as you could with V following close behind. You had told him it wouldn't take long and for him to wait outside but he insisted that he go in and help, just in case you would get cold feet. You led him up to the third floor and you hoped that everyone would be asleep otherwise you'd be in trouble. There were two kids near your age there and they loved getting you into problems with your foster parents.

 

The room you shared with four other kids was filled with light snores and mumblings left their mouths. V held onto your shoulder, considering that he couldn't see and you could maneuver yourself better. Once you reached your bed you grabbed your backpack and started putting in everything you could. V sat down on the bed, playing with the stuffed Snorlax you had and making it dance around. You finished quickly and reached deep under your bed for your hidden box and stood up, snatching the stuffed toy from his hands. You knew he'd pout and when he did you fought against smiling and motioned for the doorway.

 

Outiside, V offered to carry something but you shook your head and held on tightly to the things you had. Instead you let him hold your Snorlax so he would shut up because you wanted to laugh at his cuteness.

 

What's in the box?”, he asked, tossing the toy in the air.

 

Stuff. Hey! Be careful with that!”, you scolded.

 

He caught it as it came back down and tucked it securely under his arm.

 

So if you can lose control of it when you get angry or something, then what happened earlier today at school? What made you angry?”

 

You could hear the playfulness in his tone and you knew that he already knew the reason why.

 

Do you always ask so many questions?”

 

He chuckled, knowing that you were dodging the question. “Yeah, I do.”

 

You sighed, “Why bother asking if you can-”

“I don't like going into people's heads.”, he groaned, “It's not fair to them. Not everyone wants to say what's on their mind so just because I can, doesn't give me the right to. And that's not how I want to get to know you, I wouldn't do that...not to you.”

 

You didn't answer his question or say anything else the rest of the way. So instead, V told you everything about him, no seriously, everything and boy could he talk.

 

My parents know about my power, they know that I live with other people who have powers too. They always said I was born special but they never thought I was weird or anything. When I was younger, I was a brat with my power, like seriously. Whenever I got in trouble at school or something I would tell them something that they were thinking and I'd get into even more trouble. I'd tell the teacher that she shouldn't write me up because I knew she hated her job and that she thought her husband was cheating on her.”

 

The neighbors eventually thought that I was psychic and kept asking my mom if I could tell them stuff. It got to be too much and they were afraid to let me leave the house so one night they packed up my stuff and I left. I stayed with my aunt for a bit while I went to school and I met Jimin there. The only reason he told me his power was because I read his mind.”, he chuckled, “I still needed to control myself from getting into peoples' heads.”

 

I don't know who the first one was to live in the building, no one does but I told my aunt, she told my parents and they said that just as long as I stay in touch as much as possible it was okay to move in with them. Which reminds me, I haven't called them today, I usually call them when I wake up, when I get out of school, and before I go to sleep. Crap, I'm going to be in trouble. Oh well, they'll understand. Anyway we've been taking in people, some stay and some go but it's okay I guess.”

 

So what's your favorite color?”, he asked.

 

You didn't get a chance to answer because he wouldn't stop talking.

 

I like all colors generally but I wear a lot of black and white outside of the school uniform so I guess those would be my favorite. I like lions too! I think they're so cool! Autumn too! It's so nice, especially here in the city. It's not too hot in the day and it's not too cold at night. I have an actual question though, when we found you and Yoongi said we were like you, how did you know? You said you knew, how?”

 

You waited a few seconds and looked at him, he had his head tilted as he waited for your answer.

 

Oh, can I speak?”, you teased.

 

He smiled widely, “I'm sorry, I can get talkative sometimes.”

 

You chuckled, “I...I was walking back home from school and I saw you. You were with this guy, and I...I followed you into the alley by the coffee shop and he did something with the wind, he was making like a small tornado or something and, he did it like it was no big deal. So I knew that you must have had a power too, people like us just don't share it just anyone.”

 

That was Ilhoon!”, he beamed, “He can do some crazy stuff.”, he giggled.

 

And you're right, we have to protect ourselves, so we don't always have a lot of friends...or family.”, he mumbled the last part, “But, you got us now!”

 

You looked up and gave him a tentative smile, “Yeah...I guess.”

 

You sure they won't worry about you?”, he asked, “You didn't leave word that you were leaving.”

 

You shook your head, “They won't notice I'm gone...They labeled me as a runner, so they kind of expect it.”

 

What do you mean?”, V furrowed his brows.

 

This was my eleventh foster home.”, you sighed, “I always run away from them...and every time they find me and put me into a new one, they tell the new family that I might run away.”

 

Hm.”, he shrugged, “Well, you'll like it here with us!”, he beamed, “I'm sure of it.”

 

You said sometimes people go, what if I run again?”, you mumbled, “How do you know I'll stay?”

V paused at the entrance to the building and looked at you, “I just do.”

 

You made it to the building sooner than you'd thought and he led you back up the elevator and down the hall you had been in earlier that day. You watched as he changed the sheets to the bed and grabbed a separate set and put them on the couch.

 

I can sleep on the couch.”, you said.

 

V shook his head as he tucked in the corners, “Nope, I can't let you do that. Just for tonight, okay? I'll switch to another room tomorrow, don't worry about it.”

 

You frowned, “You don't have to change rooms, I should be the one-”

 

A knock at the door startled you and he smiled brightly again. You followed him to the door and stayed behind as he opened it. There were a few smiling faces as they peeked in and saw you sitting in one of the chairs.

 

She came back!”, one of the girls smiled. “Hi, I'm Eunji, I've heard a lot about you!”

The girl you had met earlier, Sohee, waved as she walked in as well and they plopped down on the floor next to you. A few more people poured in and crowded into the room before V was able to shut it.

 

We brought you food!” Janey, the younger girl that had asked Jin to freeze the popsicles for her walked up and handed you the plate she had in her hand. “You must be hungry, well what with V chasing you around all day.”

 

They laughed and he looked away as his face and ears turned red. You hadn't even thought about it all day but the second she handed you that plate a loud rumble was heard from your stomach. That time it was your turn to be embarrassed. You apologized and thanked them for the food as you took a bite.

 

Is it good?”, Janey asked, “Serri and Jonghyo made it.”

 

Those are by far the best kimchi pancakes you will ever eat.”, Jonghyo smiled.

 

You nodded, thanking them again and they turned their attention towards each other. You felt someone's eyes on you and you turned to look at V, who quickly whipped his head back to the people that were talking next to him. You chuckled and the somewhat laid back atmosphere was ruined when the boys began roughhousing again. You saw about three different Namjoon's running around and rolling on the ground, a blanket that was floating by itself, which you could only assume was Jeongguk, Jonghyo hissed and his arm stretched out as he tried to pull them apart.

 

Eunji let out a squeal when she dodged a small icicle that was thrown from Jin. She growled as Sohee helped her up and they went straight into the chaos, using their powers as well. Janey shook her head as she stayed close to you and put her hands up, making a force field appear as the fighting got closer and closer to you. Their bodies were blocked against the wall she had made but they only continued.

 

I hope Eden gets here soon.”, she frowned.

 

And on cue the door slammed open but they didn't seem to notice. The two boys at the door rolled their eyes and rubbed their foreheads when they saw what was happening. They looked at you and Janey, who had you protected behind the force field. One of them gave her a thumbs up and she nodded with a smile. The more serious looking one didn't take his eyes off the ones fighting and he turned to the other. He stepped forward and with the flick of his wrist all of them were floating in the air, frozen in the position they were fighting in.

 

That's Rasa.”, Janey explained to you, “The other one is Eden. They're some of the oldest ones, they keep us and our powers in check.”

 

Eden walked farther into the room and looked up at them, shaking his head. “What have I said?”

 

No one could answer and he looked at Rasa, who slowly lowered them to the ground and released his hold on them. They went back to normal and lined up in front of him, keeping their heads low.

 

Where's Jeongguk?”, he sighed.

 

Eden flinched when the boy appeared suddenly next to him, smiling sheepishly and walking towards the line up.

 

Now again, what have I said?”, he and Rasa stood in front of them, arms across their chests.

 

No horse-playing.”, they all chorused.

 

He pointed to you and startled you when he said your name. “She's new here, she's part of our family now, understand?”

They nodded and he rolled his eyes, “Go to sleep, it's late, you have school, and some of us have work in the morning. You're lucky you didn't wake up Chansung and the others, they wouldn't be so nice about it, now scram.”

 

Everyone rushed out, waving and saying good night to you, Janey took the empty plate that you had in your hands, and they left you and V alone again. He slowly turned around, smiling apologetically and shrugging.

 

Sorry about that...again.”, he rubbed the back of his neck. “Eden's right though, we should get some sleep, I should've gotten you back here sooner.”

 

Is that going to happen a lot?”, you chuckled.

 

V smiled again, “More than they'll ever know.”

 

Good night V.”, you smiled softly and walked into the bedroom.