.

Sparks

You were surprised you hadn't stopped yet. Your legs had long since lost all feeling, lungs strained from the lack of air. You weren't even headed in the right direction but you didn't care. You couldn't go home right now, not after the look he gave you. He knew. He knew what you could do, and from the way you reacted he knew that you knew about him and his friends too. You didn't help myself either by running away, proving your guilt. The whole time you ran you kept thinking about how you wouldn't be able to go back to school, you'd have to move...again. You might've only been looking at him when it happened but everyone else saw too, they all saw you plugging in the overhead when he walked in. If you hadn't gotten so jealous, wait...you weren't jealous, why would you be jealous? There was nothing to be jealous of, he was just smiling at her, nothing else. So yeah, there's was nothing to be jealous of.

 

When the plug met the socket though...your jealously...made you overpower the wires. The lights flickered, the florescent bulbs exploded, everything that was plugged in the room sparked and you were pretty sure you might have started a small fire. It didn't only happen in the lecture hall though, it happened in the whole building. You were that jealous. Wait, you weren't...Oh it, you were. Well it didn't matter now, you probably wouldn't be going back there, not after that that stunt.

 

You don't think you had ever moved so fast in your life. And when you finally did come to a stop, you nearly coughed up a lung. You collapsed on the dirt running trail in a park, luckily there was no one around to see. With all of you pent up emotion you could probably would kill someone with a shock if they touched you right now. When you were finally able to breathe properly and stand up on you feet, you shuffled to the nearest park bench and sat down. You took off your hoodie, the fabric sticking to your skin from the sweat. You watched the kids play around on the jungle gym, hoping that you didn't creep out any of the parents that were there. Whenever you saw one of them chasing their kid or hugging and holding them, it made you miss your own.

 

A car honked from the street, breaking you away from your thoughts. You figured that maybe you had been there long enough. No one knew where you lived anyway, maybe it was safe to go and pack up now. Maybe you'd head up to the coast, maybe even Jeju, you could figure it out while you walked. It wasn't sunny, the sky was just gray and getting slightly darker so you could tell that night was close. You picked up the pace and took a cut into an alley as a shortcut. As you turned another corner you heard the scraping of shoes behind you and spun around. A few cars drove by, some trash and papers blew in the wind, but nothing else. Your fingers snapped, feeling the spark and preparing yourself just in case you would have to make another fast get away.

 

You took two steps backwards but couldn't even start running because they were already blocking you off. Your eyes landed on his and you swallowed, hearing the other half of his friends come out from behind, trapping you. Your back found the wall behind you and you stared back at them.

 

So what can you do?”, one asked.

 

You didn't know what his name was, you had only seen him hang around V a couple of times.

 

Something with electricity.”, V answered when you didn't.

 

I could zap them a little and while they recover from the shock I'll be long gone...

 

He put his arm out in front of the three that were directly in front of you.

 

Please don't use your power against us.”, V stepped forward tentatively towards you, confusing his friends. “I...I don't want to read your mind, I don't. Just trust me, we won't hurt you.”

 

You eyes widened a little when he spoke. “We're like you too.”, you heard behind him.

 

I know.”, you muttered.

 

Ah, so it does speak.” You gave the first one that spoke a dirty look.

 

There are more too.”, V ignored his friend's comment, “You can come with us.”, he said with a tone of hope, “...If you want.”

 

He held his hand out and waited for you to respond. You were wary about leaving with them. You really only knew V, but had only had a few conversations with him, nothing enough to trust him fully. Right now you couldn't touch him, you would shock him too much if you did.

 

You shook your head, “I can't touch you...”, You lowered your head, hoping that he wasn't reading your mind because if he did he would know that you really really wanted to hold his hand right now.

 

Don't worry about it.”, he smiled. Oh now you really hope he wasn't in there because all he would see would be himself.

 

He took a step back and motioned for you to follow, the other boys already half way down the alley in the other direction. They stopped and turned around when they realized you weren't behind them.

 

You comin' or not Sparky?”