Getting Ready

Dorm Room 2012

A plate of food fell to the floor as Kyungsoo's mother stood looking at him. His father raised his head from his newspaper and looked at him.

"Kyungsoo-ah, what did you just say?" His mother asked.

"I want to live on campus for college." He explained.

"Why? Is it something we did? Where is this coming from? You never talked about living on campus." She said taking off her apron.

"Omma, I realized that I want to try living away from you two-"

"Do you hate your parents so much?" She asked looking sad.

"Omma, I don't hate you two it’s just-"

"You know you are breaking my heart right now. I thought we'd agreed you would commute. What's with the sudden change?"

"Honey, let the boy speak." His father said.

"I just want to expand my experience a little, meet new people, experience the dorm life." He said smiling.

"But dorms are dirty and-"

"Fine." His father said smiling. "I knew you'd say something like this which is why I called in a favor." He said standing up.

"Dear! Are you really going to let him live on campus!?"

"What's the harm in letting him have a little freedom? He's been nothing but an obedient and respectable son who rarely asks us for anything."

"That's true, but-"

"I'm putting my foot down honey."

"Fine, just know you took four years off your mother's life!" She said pouting.

"Omma." Kyungsoo said looking troubled.

"Don't worry, I'll convince her tonight." He said smiling.

"How, she seems really upset." Kyungsoo said worrying as his mother walked upstairs towards the bedroom.

"I have my ways." He said smiling.

--------

The next morning Kyungsoo woke to the smell of food. He walked downstairs and saw his mother humming a tune with his father playing with his phone.

"Omma?" Kyungsoo said hesitantly.

"Omo, Kyungsoo. I was thinking, if you are going to be living on campus, we need to buy you some things for your dorm room." She said smiling. "So after breakfast, we are going shopping! You need a new comforter set, trashcan, maybe a carpet. Oh! We'll also need to buy some cleaning products. We don't know who used the room before you." She said shaking at the thought. "So eat up." She said patting him on the head.

Kyungsoo tilted his head as he walked over to his dad.

"What has gotten into mom?" He asked.

"I got into her." He said nudging him.

"Eww! I don't want to hear about old people doing it!" He shouted closing his ears.

"Yah! We aren't dead you know!" He shouted.

"Eww~" Kyungsoo said looking at him.

"Yah! I'll have you know I'm in perfect shape!" He said hitting his stomach.

"Ewwww!"

"Is eww the only thing you know how to say? You were made this way." His mother said placing a plate in front of him.

"Stop talking!" Kyungsoo shouted covering his ears.

-------

Kyungsoo and his parents arrived at the department store to pick up a comforter set.

"How about this one?" His mother said holding up a bright orange comforter.

"Omma, that's a little loud for me." He said looking around.

As Kyungsoo walked down the aisle he bumped into a guy who turned around.

"Sorry." Kyungsoo said bowing.

The guy stared at him before rubbing his eyes. "It's okay." He said walking away.

"Kyungsoo-ah, I found another one!" His mom said holding up a purple set.

"Omma, again that's not my style." He said picking a simple black comforter. "This one will do." He said smiling.

"Fine, let's go get you some underwear." His mother said as a group of girls walked by.

"Omma!" He shouted turning red.

"What? Did I say something wrong?"

"I'll pick my own underwear." He said walking towards the men section.

"Okay, remember you're a medium! Not a large!" She shouted.

People turned to Kyungsoo as they began to snicker.

"OMMA!"

------

"I am too a large!" He said picking up a few boxers and boxer briefs.

"Moms." The tall guy next to him said laughing.

"Yeah." Kyungsoo said with a sigh.

"I'm glad I get to live on campus. I won't have to be embarrassed anymore." The tall guy said picking out some shirts.

"True." Kyungsoo said laughing.

"You are getting ready to go to college too?" He asked.

"Un, just doing some last minute shopping before I move in tomorrow." Kyungsoo explained.

"Same, University of EXO?" The tall guy asked.

"Yeah you?"

"Yep." The tall guy said smiling.

"Omo! Is this a friend?" His mother asked walking towards them. "Hi, I'm Kyungsoo's mother nice to meet you..."

"Honey, leave the boy alone." His father said pulling her away.

"And I thought my mom was funny." He said laughing.

"I'm sorry." Kyungsoo said bowing.

"No problem. By the way I'm Chanyeol nice to meet you."

"Kyungsoo." He said smiling.