Chapter 23.

The Curse
Please log in to read the full chapter

Hey guys!
This is totally not proof-read OTL don't throw me the stone, it's +6500words long and I'm lazy ;;
sorry for the mistakes and typos (and weird english)~
Hope you enjoy! :)

 

 

 

Donghae's head harshly spun, leaving him dizzy and nauseous. He felt all his hairs stick up while goose bumps covered his skin. An intense sensation of cold invaded his body from the inside, yet he began to sweat profusely at the same time. His ears buzzed and the others’ voices turned somewhat muffled. He barely felt Hyukjae's hand trying to coax him with gentle caresses.

"What do you mean?", he heard Kyuhyun ask feverishly. "Donghae could kill them? He can do that?"

"Donghae can kill any living-being who looks into his eyes", Krystal chirped. “Which includes Witches. That’s the trick, the mistake the Witch did when she cursed him.”

"So if he kills all of them, the cursed ones will be freed?", the wolf boy went on.

“Not exactly”, Luna giggled. “If he kills one Witch, the ones cursed by that specific Witch will be freed from the spell she cast on them. No need to kill all of them for you two to get free. You only have to kill the two Witches who cursed you.”

“He couldn't them all, anyway”, Krystal purred. “There isn't that many Witches around the world, but killing them all can hardly be achieved by one person only. Killing just one is a risky task alone.”

"Okay, so if he kills his own Witch, he’ll be freed and his curse will end. That means he needs to kill mine first."

Donghae felt his guts twist in a nasty way and he nearly threw up. Next to him, Hyukjae’s grip on his hands tightened.  

“What the are you talking about, Kyu?!”, the elder snapped with anger. “Donghae's not killing anyone!”

"This is the only way", Kyuhyun retorted right away, though there was a hint of hesitation in his voice. "Donghae, I know it's a lot to take but… Don’t freak out, okay? Of course it’ll be dangerous but you're my only hope, you-"

“Don’t you dare to finish this sentence!", Hyukjae growled, now clearly furious. The fury in his voice made Donghae even more nervous and uneasy. “You can’t use emotional blackmail to make him do such a thing! You have no right, you-”, the young mechanic stopped in mid-sentence and Donghae felt a pair of warm and gentle hands cautiously cup his face, thumbs brushing the soft skin of his cheeks, soothing him. “Listen to me, Hae”, Hyukjae uttered, voice much softer. “Please calm down.”

It was only then that the boy realized his breathing had turned hectic and uneven, and that he was trembling from head to toes. His eyes were burning with unshed tears of fear.

The boy’s hands flew up and came to cover Hyukjae’s ones, holding onto them with desperation.

“No one can ask you to do something like that”, Hyukjae said, voice coaxing. “Okay? No one can ask such a thing from you. It’s not in your nature to hurt the others.”

“But I’ve killed before. I’m a killer”, the boy sputtered.

“It wasn’t you... Donghae, the Witch and her curse caused this, you never meant for it to happen”, Hyukjae argued. “We all know you can’t deliberately take away a life, Witch or not. There is a gap between being a killer and being a murderer. You’re a good person, Hae, I know you don’t want to harm anyone.”

“Donghae, I know you’re scared but-”

“Don’t!” Hyukjae barked at Kyuhyun, a new mixture of anger and fear in his voice. “Don’t ing try to-”

“Hyuk, I know you mean to protect him but I need his help!” Kyuhyun cut in, voice deep and slightly harsh. “He’s the only one who can kill them!”

“We didn’t say that”, Luna suddenly interfered with a soft giggle. Donghae flinched and released a quiet gasp, tensing even more.

“There are others like him around the world”, Krystal added. “Only a few, though.”

“Others?”, Kyuhyun frantically asked. “Other cursed ones who can kill a Witch?”

“Yes, yes”, his fairy hummed. “But that doesn’t me they will help you.”

“One’s a life er, who doesn’t care about witches nor any of the other cursed ones”, Krystal said. “Another one can make people vanish into nothingness just by touching them, but he’s left everything behind and went into exile deep into the mountains of Peru…”

“There’s one who hates the Witches with all his heart, and whose curse is the most dreadful, for a word from him will bring death upon whoever hears his voice. He would be able to help you, yet he’s out of your reach”, Luna revealed.

“He’s captive”, Krystal hummed in agreement. “Trapped. He can’t escape from the Witch’s lair.”

“You can only count on yourselves”, Luna sternly stated.

“That’s right, we have to do this by ourselves”, Kyuhyun gritted out, voice low but firm. “How do we find the Witches?”

“That is not an easy task. The witches hide in their dens and only come out to cause harm and misery to the others. You’ll have to search for them. You’ll have to hunt them down.”

“How do we even do that? We don’t know their location, even less their identity”, Kyuhyun grunted. “I remember the appearance of the Witch who cursed me, I would recognize her if I saw her again, but that’s it. Donghae doesn’t even know what she looks like.”

“We know their identity”, Krystal happily chirped.

“The witch who cursed you is named... Hilda”, Luna’s voice turned into a whisper as she pronounced the name, as if she feared to say it out loud. “She’s a witch from Sweden but she spreads her maleficence all around the world, like a plague. She never stays long at the same place, but she causes so much suffering wherever she goes it won’t be too hard for you to follow her traces.”

“Sweden?” Kyuhyun repeated. “I was travelling in Italy with Min when I met her and got cursed. She was a westerner yes, I remember that, but I had no idea she was from Sweden…”

“The witches of Northern Europe are the most cruel and merciless of all. They worship brutal gods and revere to the wildest beasts, and their curses are always painful for their host…”, Krystal said, her singing voice turning somehow sad.

Kyuhyun snorted. “I had guessed that…”

“As for Donghae”, the fairy softly went on and the blindfolded boy held his breath, feeling his heartbeats speed up their pace. “Donghae’s Witch is reckless and bold, which makes her just as much dangerous”, Krystal sighed.“Her name is Ahn Hyerin. She’s korean. She’s one of the youngest Witches around the world, but she’s also one of the fiercest.”

“She’s fueled by hatred and pride”, Luna sighed. “Even the other Witches do not like to approach her.”

The tension inside Donghae’s chest tightened, and the weight on his shoulders felt heavier as the fairies stopped talking. Kyuhyun began to ask more questions but his frantic voice reached Donghae’s ears only like a muffled echo. The boy’s head was spinning with fear and confusion, and he didn’t listen to his friend. The hands cupping his face were his skin in a vain attempt to soothe him, but the anxiety kept spreading through his mind, like a poison crawling within his veins.

“Hae”, Hyukjae’s soft voice called him, his thumbs rubbing the boy’s cheek bones. “Hae”, he whispered. Donghae leaned forward, seeking more contact and more comfort from the other.

“Hyukkie”, he faintly whimpered. “I’m scared”, he confessed, voice quavering. “I don’t want to kill anyone”, he panted. He never, ever wanted to be the cause of someone’s death. Not even of a Witch. The mere idea of using his curse against a living-being was unbearable to him.  

“I know”, the elder replied in a breath. “Don’t be scared. No one can force you, please don’t cry.”

But the tears were already damping the thick fabric of his blindfold.

“Hae, don’t cry”, Hyukjae repeated. “I won’t let anyone drag you into this crusade. It is too dangerous, we can’t risk it. I can’t bear the idea of putting you into danger.”

“It is your choice”, Krystal lightly said with her singing voice. “Only you can make this decision. You’re free to refuse. But then you’ll never be free from your curse, ever.”

Donghae felt like a boulder was dropped into his stomach and his tears increased, changing into quiet sobs.

“It doesn’t matter, Hae”, Hyukjae whispered, leaning down to rest his forehead against the boy’s sweaty one. “We’ll deal with it. Even if you are cursed... I don’t care, I’ll stay by your side. I’ll never leave you. I’ll take care of you, forever.”

At that moment, hearing Hyukjae’s tender voice and smooth words, Donghae thought he could forget about everything that was happening.
A warm and fuzzy feeling invaded his chest, soothing the pain and the despair. At that moment, he felt the usual strong emotion strike in his heart, the one he always felt whenever Hyukjae showed him so much care and affection. It was an emotion he had been feeling for a while, but it suddenly exploded in his chest without control nor barriers. He felt relieved and comforted, he felt safe. It was a feeling only Hyukjae could give to him, something he couldn’t feel as strongly with anyone else. At that moment, he took full realization of how much Hyukjae meant for him, and how his affection had much more impact on him than anybody else’s.

“Thank you, Hyukkie”, his voice cracked under the emotion. He shifted and lifted his arms, wanting to reach out for the other and embrace him, but Hyukjae was quicker and pulled the boy into a protective hug. Donghae wrapped his arms around the man’s shoulders and clung onto him with all the strength he had left, loving the way Hyukjae embraced him just as tightly. The fluttering feeling in his chest grew more powerful, to the point he was left overwhelmed and quietly sobbing.

They held onto each other in silence, while Kyuhyun kept asking more questions and details to the fairies, about the Witches, the curses and the other cursed ones. Luna replied to all of his inquiries with patience and calm, her voice floating around them like a bird chirping.
Donghae remained in Hyukjae’s arms, feeling safer into the man’s embrace, but still incredibly vulnerable and afraid. His body wasn’t hurting from his previous injuries anymore, not since Krystal had given him the strange flower juice. The magic of the plant had healed his wounded limbs and a touch to his face had let him know that his cuts were gone, just like his bruises. But the fairies’ magic wasn’t able to ease his restless mind from the thoughts and doubts assaulting him like an endless nightmare.

It wasn’t until an hour later that Kyuhyun finally stopped asking questions and they decided to return. Hyukjae helped Donghae up on his feet and the boy leaned against him, appreciating his presence and support. He was completely silent as he was led back to the huge weeping-willow, holding onto Hyukjae’s hand as tightly as he could. The other walked by his side quietly, only uttering a few words of reassurance to the younger.

When they sneaked back under the tree, walking through the curtains of branches and leaves, leaving the fairies and their flower-scented land, everything turned cold and oppressive again. Leeteuk welcomed them back, voice as smooth as usual, and he guided them back into the house. They sat in the living-room and Kyuhyun quickly began to talk with the sorcerer, their voices hushed and agitated. Hyukjae was just as quiet as Donghae, probably observing them with some kind of reticence as the two young men spoke while the blindfolded boy just sat there, feeling a little numb and greatly exhausted.

“It doesn’t surprise me”, Donghae caught up with the discussion as he heard Leeteuk pensively utter the comment. “I always thought Witches would be able to kill other Witches if they wanted to, but I’ve never heard of that happening. Nor has a cursed one ever killed a Witch.”

“We need to seek out for our Witches, but the fairies said we will have a hard time finding them”, Kyuhyun grunted. “I don’t know where to start the search.”

“Of course, the fairies wouldn’t tell you how to find them”, Leeteuk sighed. “And I can’t help you either, I only heard about a few Witches. I stay as far from them as I can…”

“We’ll never be able to find them”, Kyuhyun grumbled. It seemed that the werewolf was getting more distraught as the minutes passed. “Nobody can help us with this, it’s like looking for a needle in a haystack!”

“Actually”, Leeteuk muttered, sounding slightly hesitant to talk this time. “I know who could... The hunters would know.”

Donghae shivered as he remembered the men who had cornered him a few hours earlier and beaten him up. He recalled the cold words and the harsh things they had said, and his heart felt heavy with fear and sorrow again. Hyukjae felt him tremble and wrapped an arm around his shoulders, hand tangling with his hair and caressing his scalp with gentle fingers.

“The hunters”, Kyuhyun repeated, obviously unconvinced.

“Yes”, Leeteuk replied. “They have a big web of spies all around the world. They know more than you could imagine, about the Witches, the dark sorcerers and the necromancers.”

“They have the info and they don’t do anything about it”, Hyukjae snorted, finally snapping out of his silence.

“They can’t do anything”, Leeteuk corrected. “Even though they know where to find them, they can't attack the Witches directly. If they attacked one, she would most likely kill them all. And even if they ever managed to kill that Witch, you can bet all the other Witches around the world would rise and strike back. They would barely need a day to decimate the hunters, and maybe slaughter thousands of innocent people in their wrath. The hunters won't take this risk, because if they are all killed then they’d be nobody to handle the cursed ones.”

The room fell silent after that.
Donghae hated the tension he could feel in the air. It was suffocating. He leaned against Hyukjae, who instantly tightened his grip on his shoulders.
He wanted to go home and forget about everything, about the Witches and how Kyuhyun wanted him to kill them, forget about the hunters who had attacked him and nearly taken him away, forget about Choco and all the pain he had caused to Hyukjae. He was tired and stressed out, and his mind was numbed by the torturous thoughts relentlessly harassing him.

“Jungsu, we need to leave”, Kangin’s low voice broke the silence.

“Indeed”, the magician agreed in a sigh.

“How am I going to do this?” Kyuhyun breathed out, suddenly sounding afflicted and exhausted. “Tell me, where do I start?”

“You’ll find a way, I have no doubts about it”, Leeteuk replied. “Here, take this.”

Donghae felt Hyukjae shift next to him, probably trying to get a better view of what was happening. The blind boy could only stand there and wait, unable to follow what was happening around him.

“It’s an incantation stone”, the sorcerer uttered a few seconds later. “If you need me, hold the stone and call my name. I’ll come.”

“Really?” Kyuhyun muttered in a whisper.

“Use it wisely”, Leeteuk sternly said, to which the wolf boy reply with a short yes. “Our roads split here. I have to find another place to hide and I can’t stay any longer. Good luck and...”

Though he couldn’t see anything, Donghae sensed the magician approaching. He let the man come closer, feeling no threat from him.

“No matter what you choose to do, Donghae”, he sa

Please log in to read the full chapter