Nuriel

Lacrimosa
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nuriel

" He is the angel responsible for hailstorms."

 

 

There was something off about my reflection. Somehow, I found it strange. I couldn’t really find the thing that irked me the most, but looking at it too long made my heart throb like every vein in my head. I couldn’t bear with this, so I quickly turned around and noticed that Jessica was already inside.

“What’s the matter? Saw a ghost?” she said with a rather interesting undertone. The special agent was insinuating something and I couldn’t put my finger on what. I found it rather humiliating asking what she meant by that comment and sat on my interrogation chair. That was humiliating as well.

“Look, I can only stay for thirty minutes.” I firmly replied. “I don’t care what you want to know, I need to shower today and that also goes off my free time.”

“Good. I already knew that. Let’s begin, then.” she grabbed her notebook again and nodded slowly. “If I want to make progress with you today, I think I don’t need to ask last time’s questions.”

“You’re very clever for a cop.” I remarked and rested my hands on my lap. “I really have no idea why you’re interested in me. You should look at my cellmate, I can write a book about that guy.”

“Why’s that? Do you like him that much?” Jessica started writing down stuff while I tried to ignore the fact that she was provokingly chewing on some gum.

“I never said I liked him. When the guards come to count us in the evening; he’s allowed to listen to a song on some random guard’s phone. One song a day. That’s the only thing he lives for, so it seems.”

“Does he fascinate you?” she asked me. “Your cellmate? Do you feel attracted to him in any way?”

I started laughing, really loudly. “I’m sorry, but if you’re asking whether I’m gay then I have to say that you are completely wrong about me.”

“Why’s that?” I knew she was going to say that. She was so annoying. Jessica was dropdead gorgeous, but incredibly annoying.

I didn’t respond.

“Not even in the seclusion of this room? You can honestly say that you are not attracted to men?”

I laughed again. I didn’t know what was coming out of my mouth at this point. Maybe it was the truth, maybe I created a fake profile; but I needed to freak her out in one way or the other. She was profiling me, or trying to and I made it quite hard for her.

“I’m sorry, miss. I’m not attracted to a single gender or person but myself.” This was going to be a very long half an hour.

“Can I ask you why you kissed your victim? Luhan?” I knew she was calling him by his name to somehow try to make me realize I actually murdered a person. “It was not romantically or ually?”

“He wanted to kiss me. He was weak and highly thrilled about me. Can’t a person have some fun from time to time? Why do you keep going on about this?”

“I have my fair share of reasons. Tao, do you realize Luhan’s brother is an inmate in here as well? Does he ever approach you?”

“Look, miss, the world is a small place, I get that. I can handle him, the blind dude. He’s a wacko. He probably doesn’t even know that his brother is dead.” I had been thinking about this.

There was a silence.

“Why is my case not closed? Why do you keep coming back to me? I killed Luhan. I killed him. People saw me do it.”

“Yes, yes, I know.” she nodded slowly and noted some more. I wanted to take that book and slap her in the face with it. My hands started shaking.

“I think that is enough for today.” Jessica closed her notebook and stood up. “A guard will pick you up soon. Go and take that shower later. You’re kind of hotheaded today.”

When I got back to my cell, an hour before shower time, I just threw myself on the floor and enjoyed the chilly sensation going through my body. God, I was so happy to be out of that room and back in here. I knew it sounded strange,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter