Breakfast

5:50

Guigui’s POV

 

I’m about to cook my breakfast for the day, which consists of pancakes, egg, and bacon. Oh, you’d think I know how to cook? You got that wrong. The last time I cooked, I was about to burn the whole kitchen down. I’m determined not to do that this time.

“Pancakes are flat cakes made of thin batter and cooked on both sides.” I said as I read the description.

“Okay, so I just have to make it thin, I mean fluffy and a little brown to know that it’s edible.” I concluded.

“After this Gui, you’re one step closer to being a good cook or maybe a chef.” I joked.

“I can’t do this. I’m no cook or chef. I just can’t seem to learn how to cook well.” I sighed.

 

“Mix the pancake flour with water, on as much amount as the flour to make it thick and mix well. And then add a mixed egg. Prepare the pan, and heat and spread the butter before adding a suggestive amount of batter. After a few minutes of heating one side, flip to heat the other side.” I recited while cooking the pancake.

“Woah.” I stared at my ‘masterpiece’. “This is fried. Gui, this is a pancake not a freaking pork waiting to be burned fully.” I face palmed myself.

“Hey Gui. What’s up with the smell of something burning…” Wangzi stopped when he saw me in the kitchen and discovered my pancake.

He burst out laughing.

“What… have… you… done… to… the… poor… pancake?” He tried to say in between fits of laughter.

I knuckled him on the head.

“Instead of laughing like a lunatic there, why don’t you help me cook?” I sighed.

“Or better, why don’t you come with me to the house because Mom invited you for breakfast.” He winked.

“Really?” I asked like it was the best thing that has ever happened to my life.

“Yeah, so why don’t you pack back the foods you were about to destroy if I didn’t come in time to stop you.” He pinched my cheeks while looking around the kitchen.

“No, you were lucky enough to come in time to witness my cooking skills before you interrupted with some terrible news.” I joked.

“Are you sure my news were terrible as to stop you from your nightmare?” He eyed me knowing that I was joking.

“I was kidding. Thank you for coming and inviting me! I’ll be ready in a minute.” I smiled.

It was a good thing that I took a bath before I tried to prepare for breakfast. So for now, I’m off to return the goods I was about to destroy (as Wangzi called it) to the refrigerator.

 

“Good morning, Aunt Fan. Thank you for having me.” I smiled as I entered the kitchen.

“Aw honey, you’re always welcome here. This is like you own home too.” She said, sincerity clear in her eyes.

“Mom, what do we have for breakfast today?” A voice too familiar hollered while nearing the kitchen.

Aaron.

“Well, we’ll be having Gui’s favourite, Cheese Croissant.” Aunt Fan said completely unaware of my nervous figure now that I heard his voice.

“Is someone over?” He said as he instantly entered the kitchen to see me standing there.

We stared at each other for about a decade (seriously, I felt that it was this long), just kidding, for a couple of seconds before someone interrupted our rather long staring game.

“Did I hear it right? Cheese Croissant, you say?” Wangzi suddenly appeared in view.

Where was this guy? He vanished when we got to their house and he’s appearing only now? He should’ve been here sooner.

“Gui you know what, you should come often. Mom only makes those when you’re around, and well, a few times before.” He laughed as he tried to lighten the mood, sensing the aura around the two distant figures, me and Aaron.

“Yeah, drop by often Gui. I’ll even teach you how to make them so that you can add it to your list of recipes.” Aunt Fan winked at me.

“Mom, you’ve got to be kidding me. Recipes, you say? Gui has… none! Do you want to know what I saw when I went over to her house to check on her as you asked me to bring her over? It was a disaster!” Wangzi started to say as he took a seat on the right side of his Mom and Aaron to Aunt Fan’s left. This leaves me to sit on either Aaron’s side or Wangzi’s side, which of course, I chose the seat beside Wangzi as it would be too awkward to sit beside Aaron.

“Do not dare continue.” I threatened Wangzi in a quiet tone.

“You can’t stop me!” He playfully tucked his tongue out like a kid. “And then you know what, I saw her fried the pancake! She probably thought it was some kind of pork that should be fried, rather than a pancake that should be a bit brown.” He started laughing. I peeked at Aunt Fan and saw her amused expression as a laugh is about to tug her lips. When I look over to Aaron’s side, I see a smirk playing his lips.

What an embarrassing morning, thanks to Wangzi.