Guigui's Sister

5:50

Guigui’s POV

 

 I went back to my room feeling… lost.

After what I heard, I know I wouldn’t be able to sleep tonight or anytime soon.

 

“Gui should still know… that she has a sister - a sister that’s under coma.”

The line that’s been repeating nonstop in my head.

I never expected to find out something like this - that I have a sister. Worse, a sister who’s in the hospital currently in coma. Why didn’t they tell me? If I wasn’t going to the kitchen to get myself a glass of milk, I would have lived my life longer not knowing that I have a sister.

I don’t want to blame them for it. Hardly, I don’t want to blame anyone, but why did my parents lie to me? I’ve always thought of them as one of those I can fully trust, because they’re my family, my parents. But was I wrong?

 

I woke up with a headache. I didn’t know I fell asleep while crying and sorting out my thoughts.

I know I can’t run away from the truth. I’ve decided to find out and make my parents tell me everything, rather than believe what I heard from them indirectly.

 

I went downstairs, to find my parents in the dining room discussing something serious. I’m guessing it has something to do with what I heard yesterday.

“Hey Mom and Dad.” I said as I approached to kiss them on the cheeks.

“Gui, you’re up.” They greeted me uneasily.

“Can I ask you guys something?” I slowly said.

“Sure honey. What is it?” Mom said after sipping in her Macchiato.

“Where is she?” I asked them expectantly.

“Who are you referring to?” Dad confusedly asked.

“My sister.” I said seriously.

No one said anything for what seemed like hours.

Their silence was killing me.

“Mom, Dad, I heard your conversation yesterday. I was planning to get a glass of milk when I overheard your conversation.” I honestly explained.

They still didn’t reply.

After a few minutes I saw them looking at each other, as if for confirmation on something.

“Gui, get dressed. We’ll take you there.” Dad sighed.

 

We were outside a hospital building. This is it. The ride going here was rather disturbing. No one uttered anything inside the car – no music, no sounds, just the air conditioner.

We went outside and I followed closely behind my parents. We walked until we stopped on the line to the elevator. When it was our turn, my parents told the operator that we’ll be down on the seventh floor.

I was never this uneasy when I conduct my hospital visits before, well not until this one. This felt so heavy. Like something is piercing my heart and it’s so fragile that one drop would cause everything about me to shatter.

 

We stopped in front of room 720. My parents took a deep breath before they turned the knob and pushed the door. I wasn’t moving. No, it’s not that I don’t want to move, my body just doesn’t want to move even a single muscle. I wasn’t ready yet. At least that’s what I know.

“Gui, let’s go.” Mom said while waiting for me expectantly.

I just stared at the floor.

“I’ll go in later.” I mumbled after a few minutes.

I never went in. I waited for my parents outside my sister’s room.

After a few minutes, they went out.

“Gui, aren’t you going in?” Mom asked me with curiosity evident in her face.

“Later.”

 

We got lunch by taking out a meal from a fast food chain. By the time we got home, it was already two in the afternoon.

“I’ll just go up to my room.” I stated before I went upstairs.

 

I checked my desk clock to see that it was already four in the afternoon. I spent those two hours reading a book, looking out the window and just scribbling random things in my notebook. I was about to go out of my room when I found an envelope. It was slipped under my door. It had my name on top, ‘Gui’.

I turned the knob of my door and went outside; only to find the house quiet or rather, empty.