Chapter Five.

Dragon's Mark

 

The intention of the two living under the same roof was to bring them together. Well that wasn’t true at all. For the last two weeks Kris and Sarang had made no steps in their relationship. Their relationship was still the same; they were strangers to each other.

Kris was gone by the brink of day light; he was managing not only business in Wu Corp, but also business with EXO. The stakes were high, and he couldn't afford to drown.  Everything was straight to business; it was all cold cash, heartless kills, and easy game.

Overnight, Seoul had become one of the cities in Asia with the highest crime rates. Having both EXOK and EXOM in one town caused this change. They were united and everyone who stood in their way was vanquished.

Sarang knew something was up. She could sense it in the air. She could feel it rattle her bones. EXO was one. Both counterparts were here in this city.

Sarang took a turn into a quiet alley corner before slipping through the back door of a popular night club here in Seoul. The sky was quiet tonight, too quiet.  It was always silent before the storm.

She maneuvered her way around the back areas and into the dance floors. The dim lighting and flickering disco ball coming from the stage caused everything to fall under a dark sheet of coverage. Even in this situation she could feel the eyes of the ongoing dancers and clubbers turn their heads in her direction.

Sarang was gorgeous after all. Her long ebony hair cascaded down her shoulders in waves, her face had on minimal make-up, and she wasn't the type of beauty who lavished in layers upon layers of cake-coated eyeliner and lipstick. She was fully covered; she couldn't say the same about a lot of the women here.

Some danced in barely there mini dresses and crop tops, while she was more modestly dressed in a pair of black jeans and a simple black tank top. A red leather jacket completed her look along with flat boots that reached her ankles.

The contrast between her and almost every other woman in the room was so great, yet she captured the attention like no one else. Attention flickered to her like moths to a burning flame.

She made her way across the dance floor; she was stopped thrice by different half-drunken idiots who wanted to dance. One of them even had the nerve in trying to her. She ignored all this and made her way across and into the back.

She was looking for someone in particular. Someone she had a score to settle with.

What she didn't know was that someone else was in this same club tonight, finalizing a business interaction with a local dealer.

------

"My, my, who is that?" Samuel, the dealer they were negotiating with stated as his eyes followed a female figure as she made her way across the dance floor.

They were in his private office, the man owned the club. He was looking through the one way mirror to the club outside. It was like any typical night, at least for now.

Kris sighed deeply, his patience was growing thin, and the others could sense it. If Samuel didn't own half of the clubs in this district, EXOM wouldn't even bother being here. But he did, so Kris was biting his tongue at the moment.

He was accompanied by every member of EXOM aside from Lay who was outside the club, paying close attention to surveillance.  

"How do you like Korean women Mr. Wu?" He mused curiously.

"I don't have an eye for women; I have an eye for business." He affirmed, trying to pull this conversation back to the point.

"Oh, that's such a shame, for someone like you, so young and handsome, if you want I coul-"

"Not necessarily. Look Samuel, I'm not here to chitchat. Either you agree to my proposal, or I take it to the next man who’s willing to actually pay attention." Kris snapped. He stood up and cleaned the invisible dust off his clothes before turning around, ready to leave.

"I'll take it on one option."

This caught Kris's attention, the man was asking for a favor in return. He wasn't going to get it. But curiosity was eating at Kris and he wanted to know what Samuel wanted.

"There are rumors that the Dragon is in town." Samuel stated and Kris had to hold back a grin. His reputation preceded him. He could sense the fear in Samuel’s voice and it was clear the dealer wanted nothing to do with the Dragon.

"Is that so?" Kris mused. He could tell the rest of the boys were trying not to break out of their poker faces.

"People are more cautious these days with everything that is going on.

“I'll take the deal, in return I ask for protection from him."

Before Kris could counter-back however, the door to the office slammed open as one of Samuel's workers hushed in.

"Boss, you need to come, Eric's just been killed. This crazy chick just shot him."

Kris knew of Eric. Eric was the city's resident play boy as well as being a total douche. What Eric was really known for in the underground was his ways of making good people disappear. He was a cleanup man.

Kris along with the others followed Samuel as they made their way from his office to the back area where all the VIP rooms were. Eric had his own private VIP room, like usual.

Kris could feel something in the back of his mind trying to tell him something. His sixth sense was zapped to the fullest extent and his intuition was rolling. There was more to this than meets the eye.

"There's no one else here aside from else. If there was, Lay would have informed us." Luhan mumbled softly so only the EXOM members heard. So if this wasn't another gang, who the hell was it. Did Eric's affairs finally catch up to him?

Kris changed the course of his direction and headed towards the back door, which led to a isolated alley. He didn't care for the dead man as much as he was curious about his killer.

Luckily everything was situated in the front, and the news of a killing hadn't reached the ears of the clubbers yet. They were all oblivious to everything happening back stage in the shadows. A rush of cool air hit him as he pushed the doors open. The bright red jacket from the women caught his attention.

His head was pounding against his skull and he felt like he was about to go pinpointing where lightning would strike. He chased after the women, the rest of EXOM following him, Samuel and his men were nowhere, probably still inside. The woman was a fast runner. She knew the streets and this neighborhood, it didn't help that they was in new territory.

"Split up guys, let's find her." He ordered as each boy searched for that woman. Questions filled his head. Who was she? Why did she kill Eric? And why did she seem so strangely familiar?

His footsteps were fast and invisible. He scanned each dark street and corner. He was right on her trail, he could sense it. It didn't help that his hacker and best computer man had gone MIA. Lay didn't respond to any of his calls, which was strange, but he would put that as tomorrow's issue.

He turned the corner and he could instantly feel the air thicken around him. It was a quiet and dark alley, the street lights from across the street was the only source of light. Someone was here, he could feel it.

He took another step before he felt someone jump out from behind the dumpster, attacking him. It was her. Eric’s killer.

She threw a punch at him, slamming her fist into his face. He countered by grabbing her arm and twisting it, she yelped out in pain before kicking him, releasing his hold on her arm.  She tired side stepping him, but this only caused him to grab the upper hand as he slammed her body against the brick wall. She knew how to fight, and she was a good fighter. He was better.

He could tell she was stunned as well because her eyes widen and her body froze for a quick 2.5 seconds before she launched her upper body forward, and slammed her forehead against his.

Due to both the shock and pain, he stumbled back, giving her the perfect chance to escape. He would had chased her, but he didn't need to anymore. Not when he knew who she was.

"Stop right there." A familiar voice shouted. Standing at the other corner of the alley, was Chen, with a gun in hand. His gun was pointed towards her. Kris knew Chen, and that meant he knew Chen wouldn't hesitant putting a bullet in her.

Both Xiumin and Luhan appeared behind Chen, their eyes glued on her figure.

Kris made a quick decision at that moment. It was unlike him, he knew that, but he couldn’t just let it end this easily. He needed to know why she was doing this; he needed to know the reasoning and the mindset behind it. So in the rush of the moment, he made one of the oddest decisions he had ever made.

"Let her go." Kris ordered. And this might had been the decision that started the unraveling of it all. He felt three pair of eyes turn to him in utter shock. Slowly and hesitantly, Chen lowered his gun.

The women turned around to face the group, and Kris could tell that Luhan's jaw had fallen open upon realizing who she was.

She threw Kris an unreadable look, it was a mix of gratitude, confusion, and curiosity, along with something else he couldn't decipher, before turning around and running off into the darkness.

"Why the hell did you do that?" Chen hissed at him.

"Luhan, you can close your mouth now." He instructed turning his attention to the deer caught in headlights.

"Who the hell was that? What are you thinking? What the hell is wrong with you?" Chen threw a series of questions at him. He decided to answer the first question. That one was the real shocker and would clearly blow their minds way.

"That was Lee Sarang, my fiancée.”

-------

She was always asleep by the time he returned, or gone. She was either in bed, or she didn’t return at all. They barely saw each other, or talked for a matter of fact. That all changed tonight. He never contemplated what she did, or where she went. That was part of their deal. Now it looks like they would have to terminate that part of their contract. 

She was seated serenely in the arm chair which arrived a week and a half ago, with a glass of wine in her hand, her eyes met with his.  She was dressed in the same clothes, with the same harsh eyes, and perfect poker face.

She took a sip of her wine before speaking, "We need to talk." She asserted. Indeed they did. 

"You killed Eric." He stated, standing a few feet away from her.   

"I did." She wasn’t even going to deny it. He knew she killed Eric. She knew she killed Eric.

"Why?" 

"That's none of your business, sweetheart." She answered. He was pissed off now. His wife was a killer, not that he wasn't one either, but to realize that he had been living under the same roof as a killer and didn't know was a shock and a punch to his ego. 

"Why were you with Samuel?" She asked. He wasn't the only one with questions.

"That's none of one of your business, sweetheart." He replied, using her own words against her. She hissed under her breath, and ran her fingers threw her hair.

"You have some serious explaining to do. Like the reason why you go around killing people." He snickered as he stepped closer to her. 

"Like you're not the same. I'm not a fool. You were with Samuel; no good man in their right mind would hang around him. You're the same as me." She countered stubbornly. He knew she was right, but he would never tell her that. 

"Maybe I am." 

She grew silent after that. A thick air circulated around the room as the two battled it out in a staring contest. It was stupid really, but they were testing each other. Who would fall first? Who would lay down their arms first?  Who would admit defeat? It was this kind of situation that they both succeeded in. 

A smirk appeared on his face when she blinks.

"Why'd you let me go?" She asked curiously as she set her wine aside and stood up from the arm chair. She stepped closer to him, so close he could smell the scent of her perfume.

"I thought it would be better to get an explanation from you before I give you over to Samuel." He replied. He saw something darken in her eyes, if only he knew what it was. 

"No you're not. If you were going to turn me over, you would have done it already. And no. You won't be getting an explanation from me." She hissed before trying to step away from him. 

She only made three steps before she was pounded with the weight of a truck causing her body to slam against the wall behind her. Kris crashed his body against her, his cold eyes drilling hers. 

"What the hell are you doing?" She half shouted, half hissed. She brought her arms up to push him away, but he somehow captured her arms and pinned them above her head with one of his hands. 

"Your stubbornness will kill you." He whispered in her ear causing unwanted goose bumps to run over her skin. 

" off, won't you. We made a deal, you stay out of my business, I stay out of yours, remember?" She reminded. 

"That was until you started going around killing people." He reminded, though he did the same as well.

"Doesn't make a difference."

“Yes it does, and sooner or later you're going to tell me everything that you have up your sleeves. I don't need another issue right now, certainly not one I'm about to marry." He declared slamming the hand that didn't have a hold of her arms against the wall causing her to wince. 

He pulled away from her, his eyes burning holes into her skull before turning around and walking out the front door. She didn't know where he was going, but right now she didn't care. 

She climbed up the stairs and into the bathroom. She undressed herself and the shower. Stepping in she let the warm droplets hit her skin before she felt her knees collapse onto the ground. With a heavy thump her whole body fell. 

She hugged her knees against her chest as the water poured down on her, too exhausted to do anything. 

"That man will surely be the end of me."

-------

Kris collapsed in the chair. He closed his eyes to soak in everything that was going on before opening his eyes again. His deal with Samuel was basically gone, business was pushed back, and worst of all the boys couldn't stop goofing around like five year old kids when they realized Sarang was the one who killed Eric.

Their desires to meet the women had intensified and this was never a good sign.

"I need to do a background check on her. Every file with her name stamped on it, I want it in front of me." He ordered. Lay nodded before he started typing away. Apparently Sarang wasn't only a killer, but a hacker as well.

She had hacked into the club's security footage, the one Lay was supposedly watching, and replaced it with one from weeks ago. She managed to kill all cellular communication around the club, rendering EXOM’s line of contact with Lay, ineffective. 

"This woman is amazing, I gotta meet her." He mumbled under his breath. He felt a knife fly a few inches from him before impaling into the wall in front of him. He turned around to find a really pissed off Dragon.

"I know, I know, I'm searching."

Kris groaned, falling back into the chair before the rest of EXOM decided to worsen his already dampen night.

"They were right." Xiumin stated as he walked into the room. They were at EXOM's base. They were in Lay’s room, which was filled with high-tech computers.

"About what?" Kris asked.

"Your fiancee is pretty hot."

Kris wished he hadn't had asked. He could tell that Luhan and Tao were smirking at Xiumin’s comment while Chen took a seat next to him.

"Will you cheer up. I know you've forgotten, but you have dress shopping with Sarang tomorrow. You have to pick out the suit you’re getting married in. You have a full day fully concentrated on your wedding. The worst part is that you still haven’t decided on your best man yet. I’m ashamed, I am your best friend, remember.” Tao reminded.  The room broke out in havoc again at the mentioning of the best man position.

Kris threw his head back, feeling upset about everything. s were the least of his concerns. What really bugged him was Sarang, and he couldn’t get her out of his head.