Chapter Ten.

Dragon's Mark

"Somebody is going to get kill tonight." Kai hissed. It was nice having all of EXO together, this kind of thing didn't happen often. Neither of the two groups saw each other often, and right now it would look like a nice family reunion if they weren't trying to chase the whole damn world down.

"Kai, can you hurry up, I swear you're slower than my grandmother." Baekhyun hissed through the intercom.

"We have them surrounded." Chen stated as he and Xiumin along with Chanyeol and Sehun gathered everyone in the warehouse. This wasn't a pretty sight. There was a lot of blood, a lot of broken objects, bullet holes, knife stabs, and a lot of dead bodies. It looked like a slathered house.

That’s what happens when EXO shows up with guns in hands and starts shooting the place up. No one was left unharmed, and no one was excluded from punishment.

Everyone was dead except for about a dozen men. These were the ring leaders around here. One of these men was the one who had ordered the kill on Suho. The thing was that when he ordered the hit he had no idea who he was really dealing with. He had no idea Suho was EXOK's leader and could probably tear the warehouse down without flinching, in fact, he just did.

Kai finally showed up, dragging along two half-conscious men. A knowing smirk crossed his face because he knew Luhan was going to have a fun time torturing these men.

"Looks like the audience is finally here." Kris announced as he and Suho walked into the large room. The two leaders’ screamed dominance and power right now, and everyone knew not to mess with them. Suho had a scar under his right eye from almost being ambushed. If he wasn’t as good of a fighter as he was, he would be dead.

Suho eyed each man carefully, specifically looking for the one who he had pissed off a few days ago. The man thought he could eliminate Suho just like that, what he didn't know was that Suho wasn't just anyone.

"Damn it, he's not here." He stated angrily. Suho didn’t enjoy being hunted down one bit, so he was going to make sure whoever ordered his kill was tortured to death, slowly and painfully. Kris growled, great now what. Out of the corner of Kris's eye he saw a figure moving in the shadow. Suddenly the figure broke out in a sprint as he jumped through the glassless window; the glass had been shattered by a bullet, and into the streets of Seoul. 

Suho had managed to catch a quick glance of the man’s face, but that was enough to confirm that he was the person who had ordered the hit.

Kris didn't like this. He didn't want to be on a wild goose chase right now, but that was where he ended up. Suho, Baekhyun, Luhan and himself chased after their target while the others watched over the prisoners to make sure no one did something stupid.

It was two in the morning, the hour of the rebels, and the streets in these parts were as wild as ever.  There was still a thick frenzy of people on the streets. They all knew that if their target got lost in the crowds they could possibly lose him for good. That was not an option for them.

Kris made a sharp turn at a dark alley corner. He was right on their target as he ran with incredible speed, Luhan was close behind while Suho and Baekhyun decided to cut their target off by making their way to the other end of the alley using a short cut.

Kris could feel something odd around this street corner, but he couldn’t pinpoint what it was. The last time he had this feeling was the night Sarang killed Eric. A gunshot echoed softly through the alley and their target froze in his spot and slowly his body dropped to the ground.

Kris came to a sudden stop, Luhan froze behind him. Both he and Luhan pulled out their guns. Suho and Baekhyun weren't the ones who fired that shot, and the rest of EXO weren't here. There was a unknown shooter.  

Slowly from the shadows a female stepped out. The dark shadow blocked her identity but as she approached from the darkness her face unveiled itself.

Kris's eyes widen in shock and confusion before his grip on his gun tightened. There before him in the pits of the underground stood Sarang. She was beautifully dressed in that stunning wedding gown that fitted her like a grove; she looked like Venus rising from the sea. Her silky ebony hair was pinned back into a series of curls that was held together by pearl hair pins. Her makeup, which she didn’t wear often, highlighted her features; her high cheekbones, her large coffee eyes and her pouty pink lips. She looked elegant and breathtaking.

"You're late." She spoke softly and quietly but her voice was carried by the wind and brought to his ears. He almost flinched as how icily cold her voice was. He was reminded of the fact that he had basically abandoned her on their wedding day.

He stared at her with unreadable eyes, the only thoughts that could process through his mind was how ravishing she looked right now. Any bride was pretty, but Sarang was gorgeous. The only thing she was missing as a bride was a smile and that spark in her eyes all brides should have, but considering the situation, he understood why there was a lack of that spark.

"You killed our target." He commented dryly. She smirked before holding her gun out.

"Stun gun." She clarified. She haven't killed him, she had just rendered him unconscious. She knew EXOK was waiting to get their hands on this guy. She didn't want to kill him just yet, not until EXOK had their fun and proves their point.

Suho and Baekhyun appeared from the other end of the alley, guns pointing at Sarang. Kris was rather amused at how composed she remained. Here she was, standing in the middle of an alley with four guns pointed at her, but she showed no fear.

"I should just kill you right now." He suggested and tightened his finger that was on the trigger of the gun. He didn’t press the trigger though because he didn’t want the image of a beautiful dead Sarang in her blood satin wedding gown to be embedded in his mind. That image was too horrific, and this greatly annoyed him that he had grown weak towards her. He didn’t want to be soft on her, but in the end he was.

“You won’t kill me.” She stated knowingly. She took a step closer to him, she moved so smoothly and gracefully.

“I have a favor to ask of you.” She stated staring him in the eye. He didn’t know what got to him, maybe it was because he pities her, and she was after all, left on her wedding day. Maybe it was because those eyes of hers were so fearless, she could look death in the eye and not blink once.

Somehow they ended up across town in EXOM’s hideout. He almost regretted bringing her here but somehow Luhan and Lay had convinced him into doing so.

The mess with their target was left to EXOK now, and Kris was positive their other counter half could handle the situation.

“You should have killed her in the alley.” Xiumin commented only to receive a slap in the back of the head from Luhan. Kris almost wished he did, but now was not the time for regretting his decisions. He watched as Sarang stood by the glass wall, her eyes staring down at the image of the Han River. The city lights created a beautiful scene for the dreadful night they were all living.

He wished he could read her mind and understood what was going on in her mind. She was so shut off and cold. He had only seen weakness in her eyes a few times; when she was talking about her parents, when she was staring at that other bride when they were picking out her wedding dress, and when Tao had walked in on the two of them when they were in an intense lip lock.

He stepped down from the stairs and towards her. All of EXOM remained up there, staring down at Sarang. They had decided that Kris would talk to her, alone. He didn’t need five other people drilling their opinions into his head when speaking to this crazy woman.

“You said you needed a favor.” He said nonchalantly. Sarang turned around to face him and the only thing he could read in her eyes was determination. It surprised him that she wasn’t bothered with the fact that he never showed up to their wedding. Maybe he was right, she just didn’t care. Good, it was better that way.

“Yes.” She affirmed stepping closer to him. She was still in her wedding gown and he wished she would had changed clothes.

“Well I don’t have all day. You’re wasting my time; just give me a reason not to kill you.” He hissed coldly wanting to see her squirm, but he received no reaction, as expected from her.

“Let me help you.” She stated, shocking him. That was her favor? She wanted to help him.

“You don’t even know what the hell I do, or who I am.” He reminded. He watched her huffed out air before she stepped closer to him. He wished she would keep her distance. If only she realized how pretty she looked right now and how he was a fully grown male with urges.

“I know that you are the leader of EXOM.” She replied and through the reflection of the glass wall behind her he could see EXOM in the background. If they were really quiet they could hear the conversation the two were having. Of all times, they choose to shut up now. They stiffened at her answer and he could see panic run through their faces.

“You did your research.” He replied trying to sound like he wasn’t bothered by her blunt statement. How the hell did she figure this out?

“Let me help you.”  She repeated her request.

“Why the hell should I let you help me?” He asked with a raised brow.

“I am an asset to your team.” She replied confidently as she crossed her arms underneath her chest, not realizing how that caused her cleavage to push up.

‘You’re a threat to us.” He mumbled.  She was a threat that was the reason why he had targeted her. He was supposed to kill her. However, now when he was standing in front of her, he couldn’t do that.

“I disagree.” She snapped. 

“Really?” He questioned, interested in how she was going to win him over. “Last I checked, anyone who finds out who we were, ended up dead.” He reminded. It was true; EXO had a long history of taking out anyone who knew their true identities.

“That means I’m good a researching, and finding people, like how I found you guys tonight.” Sarang added, trying to persuade him to her side.

“It means you’re nosy.”

“It means I’m good with computers and know how to track.”

“We already have someone whose good with computers.” He reminded, talking about Lay.

“I hacked into his system, remember.” She reminded, mentioning how she had gotten into his system on the night that she killed Eric.

“You intervened with our activities tonight.” He stated. He liked this push and pull game they were playing. He liked how she took everything he said and turned it against him. Usually he hated when people did this, though they usually never did. Tao and Luhan were the only ones who dared to do this. However, it was so much more fun with Sarang.   

“I took down your target for you.” She commented stepping closer to him. The space between them was slowly disappearing.

“We almost had him.”

Almost.”

“You’ve been marked by the Dragon.” He let those words loose from his tongue and instantly regretted it. Sarang didn’t know about the Dragon, she didn’t know it was him.

“You haven’t killed me yet.” She rebutted staring him dead in the eye. Wait….she knew.

“You know.” He said dumbfounded by her knowledge. A victorious grin appears on her face, and she knows she’s won in this little game of theirs. Props to her, no one won over Kris, but apparently she did.

She makes one final step towards him, and now she’s breathing the same air as him. She stands inches away from him, her eyes locked on his.

“They say the Dragon’s Mark is an omen for death. However, here I am, still alive. Here I am, standing in front of the Dragon, and I still don’t have a bullet in my skull.“ She speaks viciously and tauntingly. Her words speak the truth, and right now the truth is like bitter poison to him.

“Just because you’re not dead yet doesn’t mean I trust you.” He corrected. He sees something flicker in her eyes and he wishes that emotion could resurface so he could decipher what was going on in her head.

“You don’t have to trust me.” She said softly, her eyes were tenderer and not as harsh, but still showed no signs of weakness.

“Why do you say that?” He asked curious to her answer.

She exhales deeply and steps even closer to him, if that was even possible.  Then he saw it, emotions wildly swan in her eyes and shows on her face. Hurt, pain, regret, lost, anger, determination, envy, pride, and the one thing that hurts him the most….love.

“Ten years ago my parents were killed protecting the Dragon.” She confirmed. This caught his attention greatly. She bit her lower lip, and he wished he was the one biting her lip instead.

“They were killed in a car accident.” She added and this information brought back memories from ten years ago.  He stared at her and he saw no deception in her eyes.

“Their car malfunction, they died along with their teenage daughter.” He remembered as he added on for her.

She nodded knowingly, “Only their daughter didn’t die.” 

“Mr. and Mrs. Smith were your parents.” Chen interrupted. Now all of EXOM were standing in the same room, staring at her in shock.

She spoke to the whole group next, “My parents were killed because they were aiding a new and upcoming gang leader, he was a newcomer to the underground, but he was already feared by so many. He had to be eliminated, but instead of killing him-“

“They killed the couple who was aiding him.” Kris finished for her. He remembered the help he received from the couple. Kris never knew their real names, he’s never even seen their faces, and all he knows is that their codenames were Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

He remembered when he arrived to the hospital that rainy night. They said that it was an accident, he thought otherwise, but had no proof.

They were dead, and their teenage daughter was in critical condition. The doctors mentioned that she wouldn’t last the night. He left before people started questioning why he was there. He never learned the truth about their daughter. He was just a kid himself, and it was the first time he felt the pain of losing something important to him.

“I survived.” She told the group. “My parents would have given their lives for you. They did give their lives for you. Now I’m living up to their wishes.” She declared and he knew there’s no way she’s backing out now. She’s jumped to far and there will be no safety net to break her fall.

“I will protect and aid the Dragon, until the day he decides to kill me.” She confirmed sternly but he can hear the bitterness in her voice.

The room was silent after that; no one knew what to say next after Sarang’s confession.

“I vote ‘yes’ to her request.” Lay spoke, breaking the thick silence. Yes, Sarang was a threat, but at the end of the day she was still the flesh and blood of Mr. and Mrs. Smith. They remember the help they had received from the couple. They wouldn’t be here today if not for them. It was amazing how the couple could still affect them even a decade after their deaths.

“I second that.” Luhan added.

“Me too.” Chen shouted. Xiumin and Tao sighed, nodding in agreement with the rest of the members.

“This isn’t a democracy.” Kris snapped. “No.” He confirmed. Sarang’s face fell slightly before her eyes harden.

Kris turn to walk away. He’s met with the stunned faces of EXOM. He knew why they agreed. They felt an obligation to Mr. and Mrs. Smith, and since the two were dead, they thought they could make it up through their daughter.

“Why not?” Sarang snapped, he could hear the anger in her voice.  There was a warning in her tone.

“Give me one more reason why I would agree to your request?” He challenged before he continued to walk away. He made it to the other end of the room and is about to turn the knob of the door when she replies. Her response was the last thing he needed on his guilty conscience, yes, he did have one, but he would never admit it.

“You left me on our wedding day.”

Damn it. He knew she was going to bring that up eventually.

He spun around to face her, “If you even think of betraying us I will not hesitant to-“

“Kill me. I know. I’m still marked for death, remember.” She answered.

-------

Sarang would be a fool if she didn’t dig into their profiles. She used her spare time, which she had too much of, and looked more into each boys life. The information she got was baffling. 

Tao was a train sniper and a good fighter. She would never expect the panda who had ordered her home furniture to be one of the most feared fighters in the underground.

Xiumin was known for his strength despite his baby-face appearance. He was a thief and an expert at kidnapping. Sarang remembered the pile of cases she has about all of the pricey artifacts EXO has stolen over the years. Guess Xiumin was the ring master behind those cases.

Chen, just like she had predicted was almost as unpredictable as Kris. He was the person who found the guns, knives, gadgets, and other toys for EXOM. He was also a con-man and known for getting into more an a few bar fights. Seems like the man had a weakness for liquor, but who didn’t.

Lay was the techie of the group; he was an expert at computer and one of the best hackers in the world apparently.

Luhan was Kris’s second in charge.  As opposed to his doe-eyed look he was actually the person that scared Sarang the most. He was the assassin with the perfect track record, and according to rumors, he loved torturing his victims.

She fell back in the armchair she was sitting in. She was currently sitting in one of the empty rooms within EXOM’s hideout, which happens to be this giant mansion on top of a hill overlooking the Han River.

So the reason why he didn’t marry her was because he was aiding EXOK. Well at least she knew the reason now. However she still couldn’t stop the ache in her heart. She knew that Kris’s priority to EXO came before her, everything came before her. She was just some rich man’s granddaughter that he was forced to be with. Now she’s s her way into his life, and wasn’t bulging out.

Everything she had intended to happen did, so why was she sitting here, in the dark feeling like if someone so much as touches her she could shatter into a billion pieces.  Sarang pushed those feelings aside. She needed to be strong, she had to be strong, and there was no time for weaknesses.

She sulks, silently wondering to herself if this was it. This was Sarang’s way out of her inner troubles with herself, help someone else with their problem, and right now it seems like the list of problems Kris has reaches the moon.

“What did you guys see in him?” She asked, she wished her parents heard and could reply. Since their death Sarang had done nothing but search and search for the man who caused their deaths.

At first Sarang was angry. She was so angry at him for taking away her parents, her family, the only home she’s ever known. Because of him she was made an orphan at the tender age of 14, and shoved into her grandfather’s unwilling arms.

She still remembered waking up in the empty hospital room. She still remembered begging the nurses to let her see her parents. The reply she got from them still haunted her even till this day.

She remembered her grandfather’s words. “Don’t you dare cry.” He commanded. So she didn’t. She stood there like a frozen statue and watched as they buried her parents.

Then one day she woke up and she just stopped hating the Dragon.

“Why?” She heard someone ask. She turned her shoulder to face Luhan. He just showered and was dressed in sweat pants and a black muscle shirt, hishair still wet.

“Excuse me?”

“If I were you, I would have hated Kris’s guts. So why don’t you?” He asked out of pure curiosity. She still couldn’t believe that this baby face male was the heartless torturer.

She rethinks his question. She smiled inwardly; sometimes the answers are so simple they are overlooked.

“I did. I hated him so much at first.” She answered looking down at her hands. Oblivious to her, Luhan watches her carefully noticing the little girl in Sarang resurfaces. He understood her pain. At the age of seventeen his parents were killed as well. The difference was that he took revenge on his family.

She looks up to him and pain flashed all over her face. His observation was correct. Sarang wasn’t as strong as she led off.

“I just woke up one day and realized that I couldn’t hate him. So I didn’t.” She answered.  He tilts his head, confused by her answer. No one can just wake up and stop hating someone. It wasn’t humanly possible. There were stages in getting over hate, just like everything else in life.

Sarang noticed the older male’s confusion and for the first time in a long time she becomes truthfully honest. “I didn’t want to disappoint my parents. They worked so hard to protect the Dragon; they gave their lives for him. If I hurt him, I would be betraying them.” She said sadly.

She looks up to him and with the most innocent eyes he’s seen in a long time she continues, “Isn’t that what every child is afraid of; Betraying their parents.”

Luhan swears that theperson sitting across from him isn’t the twenty four year old, kicking, trigger-happy, fearless, super woman, but the fourteen year old school girl who lost her parents at too young of an age. 

“So how mad are you that he didn’t show up?” He brought up. She didn’t answer right away, and that was an answer itself.

“Chairmen Wu was furious, the Chairwoman left, complaining of course. The guests were disappointed of course, but they’ll managed.” She answered. He frowned.

“I wasn’t asking about his parents or the guests. I was asking how you felt.” He corrected.

“Does my opinion matter?” She raised the question.

“Absolutely. “ Luhan watched as confusion spread throughout Sarang’s face. It was like for the first time Sarang was being asked about how she felt about something. It was like she had never been able to express her emotions.

The woman was so odd and different from everyone else; he could see why Kris was so stubborn about killing her. He could see them growing weak when she was around. Weaknesses were never allowed especially in their field of work.

“I don’t care. It doesn’t bother me at all.” Her response did not shock him one bit. He knew she did care, he knew she was bothered by the fact that Kris didn’t show up. He knew that Lee Sarang was trying to cover up her true emotions with this pathetic mask of a façade.

“You’re pathetic you know that.” He said honestly. He expected her to retaliate but instead she didn’t.

“I know.”

He sighed, yes indeed; the woman was a rare jewel. 

-------

 

 

 

 

 

 

Another chapter into their lives, and I guessed a lot was revealed in this chapter. EXOK finally makes an appearance.

I have some serious Lulu feels right now, which explains his part with Sarang, I don't know, maybe I should make Luhan fall for Sarang just to make Kris jealous.