Serendipity

Remnants of a Hollow Heart - A Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Wow! A lot of subs overnight?! Awesome! You guys are amazing!!! You make me happy. :DDD

Btw, congrats to Redrum for winning the private update. ^^

 

 

 

Serendipity - looking for something else while finding something nice.

 

 

When Taeyeon was younger, she would watch her mother rush inside and outside of the special room allocated for her father and her father only. Having been instructed to never enter the premises, she wondered what was happening beyond the doors. It continued for weeks, months even, and her father still had not exited the said room.

 

It was like that until one fateful day, her mother came out, eyes bloodshot.

 

She knelt in front of her, softly saying, “Taeyeon, be strong for Umma, okay?”

 

And Taeyeon just nodded, unsure how to react because she was not the courageous type.

 

**

 

Years later, Taeyeon grew braver, stronger, but not enough to take over her father’s responsibility in the company.

 

Following orders from the higher-ups, which naturally included her mother and the committee, Taeyeon graduated college on top of her batch. She nearly landed CEO as soon as she got off the stage with her diploma in tow, but it was soon decided that ‘it would be best if Ms. Kim finishes her graduate studies first.’

 

And so she complied, all her life, Taeyeon did was to comply. Left with no choice, her mother sent her to America with an apologetic smile on her face.

 

Taeyeon understood, she needed to be brave and strong. For her mother, she told herself.

 

“Don’t feel sorry, Umma.” And then she hugged her goodbye before walking towards the gates.

 

**

 

Life in a foreign land meant having to suffer excruciating days of loneliness and desolation. It was like being transcended into a different dimension of some sort. America remained an unfamiliar universe unless she took initiative and explore it herself.

 

And so she did.

 

For the first time during her stay, Taeyeon found courage to get out of her apartment and amble through downtown Cali.

 

It was refreshing, honestly speaking, to be able to walk around without having to look over her shoulder to check if one of the uniforms were still trailing behind her, watching her, safeguarding her.

 

Here, Taeyeon was her own boss so she didn’t have to comply to someone else’s orders.

 

That and the fact that she never had to deal with annoying reporters eagle-eyeing at her for a scoop. Fortunately, her mother decided to put her departure under wraps. And it will remain that way until she finishes her studies to keep everything as inconspicuous as possible from the media’s judging eyes.

 

Taeyeon took photos and through her lens, saw the world in a different light, figuratively and literally.

 

After a delightfully tiring afternoon stroll, she opted for that quaint coffee shop in the corner.

 

Like a small greeting, the soft jingle of the bell overhead was welcoming to her ears.

 

Taeyeon approached the counter and was met with a red-haired lady, whose eyes suddenly disappeared as soon as she stood in front of her.

 

“Good day. What’s your order, Ma’am?” the friendly woman said to her.

 

Taeyeon’s eyes swept through the menu for a brief moment and for a second there, she thought about going home. The menu was in English and she was still having difficulties communicating in the same language.

 

So she gathered courage but ended up tripping over her tongue instead.

 

“I’ll have a Caramel…Mac…Mac…”

 

Wow. How embarrassing, she thought to herself.

 

“It’s okay,” said the redhead in Korean.

 

And then Taeyeon raised her eyebrows in realization, “Am I saved?”

 

The cashier chuckled heartily, “I think so.”

 

It was contagious, the way she laughed, because Taeyeon found herself chuckling as well.

 

When she finally got her order and said her thanks, Taeyeon took the seat near the window where she could secretly spy on other people’s business.

 

It was a good day, not great but not entirely bad either. Just good enough to snap another set of pictures for keepsakes.

 

She enjoyed doing this, sitting and not worry about anything else.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter