Juliet & Juliet END

Remnants of a Hollow Heart - A Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Late update. I burned my hand with caramelized sugar the other day and it hurts like freaking hell so I couldn't type very well. Yeah, I'm clumsy. XD

 

Since I've reached my 101st sub today, I decided to update now. :DDD Thank you people for subscribing! It's so flattering. ^^

 

 

 

 

 

The annoying buzz went about inside the throne room from people who came to seek His Majesty’s royal advice on the kingdom’s feudal reform. They were talking not about their concerns but the princess’ latest scandal.

 

As shameless as it is, they were audacious enough to gossip about Her Highness in the king’s presence. And even though he was her father, the mighty ruler over the forests and mountains, his kingly power did not allow him to stop gossips from overflowing from their dangerous tongues. A king has his own share of restrictions as freedom is limited to his daughter. They were a land free to express themselves, even if that meant stepping on other people and dragging them down like a crab’s mentality.

 

As he looked around the room, his eyes stung at the sight of people talking about his own daughter in an unsubtle way. It hurts to sit down and listen to others badmouthing his own blood right in front of him.

 

Love is love, and it works in the scariest, most mysterious and yet beautiful way. It comes unwelcomed but leaves the heart in complete havoc, like how he felt when the Queen passed away. Love is beautiful, tis unpredictable. It overlooks everything to the point of being irrational. A fool, even.

 

Taeyeon was a victim of that love. The king only hoped that she would see the light and follow the correct path. But if it weren’t for these obstacles that the kingdom faces right now, he would never hinder her from keeping this love, from hiding, from being afraid. If anything, the king would even willingly let them marry each other. He was, after all, her father and he wanted nothing more but her happiness.

 

But as the king, he must make choices that will benefit the greater good.

 

When the noise became unbearable, the king cleared his throat and like a speed of light, the entire room became quiet. Something has to be done to end this awful habit in the kingdom.

 

“We hast a new law,” the announced, eyeing the people in the room, “Spewing lips that prattle rumors cannot be tolerated any longer. Disciplinary measures shall be administered.”

 

The man to his side jotted away on his scrolls, catching every word the king said. The crowd reacted too late and went on a rampage of whispers and murmurs.

 

“And as initial penalty, each of ye shall pay five gold coins for this disrespectful display of gossiping about my own child within my midst,” he rose to his feet, waiting for the scribes and a couple others to follow him to the grand golden doors, “Fix that mentality of ye.”

 

And then the king motioned for a guard to make rounds with an upturned hat to collect the money. Half the coins will be donated for the upgrading of the local house of worship.

 

“Send for the knights and war heads. I shall wait for them in conference hall,” he told a servant as they were walking down the corridor.

 

Just as they were about to turn a corner, the bishop was rushing his way down to them, face hidden under the overly long hood. But as if he did not see the king and the people behind him, the bishop just breezed past them.

 

“Your Worship,” he called, slowly approaching the bishop, “I seek thy advice.”

 

The old man was startled and there was no response to the king. He was stupefied, nailed on his spot.

 

“I have to speak to thee about the cathedral and a personal matter.”

 

The king stepped in too close, he realized. Because the bishop took a huge step back, seemingly afraid to be any nearer to His Majesty. He understood and kept his distance. People preferred to maintain their personal spaces to themselves and the bishop was not any different.

 

“Tis about,” the king began. He cannot process the right words in his mind so he asked by his heart, “Tis about Taeyeon. I am worried about her.”

 

The bishop tensed, the king noticed how he flinched at the mention of the name.

 

“Please accept my apologies if she had acted so untowardly to thee, to everybody. She is only a child, she does not know what she is doing. I, myself, am surprised how rash she is,” a small smile crept up his lips, “But I admire her bravery. To fight for love, to defy her king. Courageous, is she not?”

 

The king’s heart swelled at the memory of his child. There was only two of them until his firstborn died in the war, so he did everything he can to safeguard his second. But that led to her suffocation and sneaking behind his back for a temporary experience of independence.

 

“My precious child,” he smiled, “She was a tiny blossoming flower when her mother gave birth to her. Her brother was incredibly joyous back then. She looked so calm, so peaceful as she slumbered tis why we christened her as Taeyeon.”

 

But slowly, a frown ate away the king’s smile. She was right. He was a king to her, not a father. He deserved the hateful treatment that Taeyeon gives him.

 

“And then she grew up,” the king sighed inaudibly. Shaking his head, he went on, “I love my child and I do not want her to abhor me for an eternity. I need thy divine advice, Your Worship.”

 

It’s time to be a father to Taeyeon.

 

The bishop merely grunted, clearing his throat as if to imply that he was sick.

 

“Art thou alright, Your Worship?” he asked out of concern and stepped in close again, sending the bishop backward with a single step, “Perchance I should leave thee to rest in thy quarters. The weather is not very fair today and thou might be coming down with a cold.”

 

The old man nodded feverishly, hood bobbing up and down.

 

“Alright,” he said, “Be well, Your Worship. Come to me when thou art feeling better.”

 

There was an odd feeling of finality as the words left the king’s mouth. He left a reassuring squeeze on the bishop’s shoulder, smiling warmly to bid him goodbye before he and his team left the bishop to meet with the knights in the conference hall.

 

**

 

No matter how hard she tried to rest her stinging eyes, all she could see was Taeyeon’s face and that pair of soft lips that used to grazed hers lovingly. She missed the warm arms that cuddled her when she was cold, even the princess’ annoying teases were a part of the things she dearly missed about the woman. Tiffany tried to divert her attention on something else, but the harder she tried, the more she realized that her attempt to not miss Taeyeon was futile.

 

Loving her was a taste of real heaven. And when Taeyeon suddenly disappeared from her was as if she was locked out of heaven. Like a turtledove who lost its mate, Tiffany could hardly breathe, could barely live through the pain. The gentle touches, the loving gestures, they were never grandiose. Their love is simple. It’s the world that make it complicated.

 

There were no answers to her questions as to what was happening to her lover or if she was alright or if she still breathed. Worry was something that she was already accustomed to, but things were different now. Back then she had nothing to lose, and now she had everything on a brink of losing. Her everything. Her Taeyeon.

 

She had no more tears to cry, and yet she was falling apart inside.

 

Tiffany stifled a sob, silently praying that Taeyeon would miraculously show up at her doorstep with a platter of steamed potatoes in tow.

 

“I’m so delusional.” Tiffany whispered to her shadow.

 

The people outside were suddenly shouting loudly as if their houses were mountains apart. Tiffany didn’t slept very well these past few days, and the noise was getting to her head. Wiping her eyes, she pulled the window open only to see a hoard of people carrying torches and pitchforks. What are they doing?

 

“Yonder is the harlot’s house!” they yelled, “For a thousand gold coins!”

 

Startled, Tiffany stepped away from the window. And now even her neighbor’s are after her. She had seen an entire land get down on its knees and beg for mercy first hand. There was pain, fear and most of all, helplessness. The world is wicked, it’s not a place of rainbows and dreams because they only get shattered.

 

And as if on cue, there were loud bangs on her door.

 

Tiffany grew alarmed. Her body involuntary started collecting the basket and stuffed essentials inside of it. She wore the brown robe that Taeyeon gave to her just in case the redhead needed to blend in the crowd.

 

The front door burst open and the angry crowd barged into her house, searching every nook and cranny for the woman.

 

“Nay, she is not here!” one man exclaimed.

 

“Ya dimwit! There she goes!” said a lady with a thunderous voice, pointing at the redhead’s back.

 

People continued pouring into her house and went stampeding over her cheap wooden fixtures. The mob got frantic so Tiffany panicked. And in her haste, knocked her shin on the edge of a low stool. She ignored the annoying pain at her patella and rushed to the back door of the small bungalow.

 

The crowd of torches and pitchforks were after her now, hot on her tail like forest fire. She walked briskly with no destination in mind, only with a burning heart to survive just in case Taeyeon finds her. She wasn’t so sure herself if the princess would actually do that with the whole town hunting her down like a street mutt. With nowhere else to go, that feeling of familiar defenselessness was back again.

 

“Hold on a bit longer, Tiffany,” she cheered herself, knowing that her body was about to give up on her soon. She dragged her feet across the cobbled pavement while simu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter