5

Sea Souls: Mermaid's Tears
Please log in to read the full chapter

      Kyungsoo ran up and down the whole beach looking for Taura. He asked himself where she could have gone. She didn’t like the water so his only ideas were that she'd be somewhere along the beach or close to it. He went further inland when he saw her up in the dunes sprawled in the sand. He called to her a few times but seeing that she didn’t move, Kyungsoo figured she fell asleep. The man ruffled his hair with a sigh and ran up to Taura. The things he did sometimes. The things that girl did. He sometimes questioned himself, his grandfather, and the girl. He didn’t even know her name yet.

     As the young man got closer to the her, he saw how she thrashed around. Her feet were glued together as they moved in a wave like motion while her head turned from left to right. The girl’s hands never stayed still as they clenched and unclenched. Worried, Kyungsoo knelt down near Taura and shook her gently. Her body stiffened under his touch for a brief second before moving around again but more forcefully.

     “Hey! Wake up! You’re dreaming! Wake up!” Kyungsoo lightly slapped Taura’s cheek and brushed the hair from her face feeling the cool sweat on her forehead, “Wake up!”

     Taura’s chest rose up first followed by her head as she rammed it into Kyungsoo’s. He screamed out, her hit had his head vibrating, and fell back. The girl on the other hand felt as if a huge pressure was taken from her chest, almost as if emerging from the water after a long dive. She could finally breathe but the sudden rush of air made her dizzy. She clutched the sides of her head and rocked back and forth when she saw Kyungsoo laying in the sand in front of her. Taura forgot about her nightmare of a flashback and crawled to Kyungsoo. His hand laid over his head, blocking the light. One leg was stretched out while the other bent up. He groaned in pain when he muttered, “Such a hard head.”

     The mermaid pouted and punched Kyungsoo’s shoulder.

     “Ow, what was that for?” He sat up slightly not realizing Taura was close and almost collided with her again if she hadn’t moved back a bit. Kyungsoo rubbed his shoulder and looked to the girl in front of him when he noticed something. Whether if it was because of the lighting or not, he saw that Taura’s eyes were blue and green. He reached for her to turn her head but she slapped his hand away and stood up.

      She figured it must have been her eyes. When she felt danger, her eyes tended to change too along with when she used her powers. Taura blinked her eyes continuously and breathed deepily as she paced around hoping that the color would turn back to brown. Kyungsoo stared at her in awe. He had never seen eyes like that before and was completely entranced by them, “Your eyes.”

      Taura looked at him fearfully when Kyungsoo stood up, dusted the sand from his trousers and approached her. They were face to face but he saw that her eyes were just the regular brown and sighed, “Must have been my imagination.”

      He shook his head and walked in front of Taura

Please log in to read the full chapter