049

Sea Souls: Mermaid's Tears
Please log in to read the full chapter

            Keeping Mira in her sights, Taura swam as fast as she could, the rush of water acted like a knife cutting her skin even more. Her blood trailed behind her even though she pressed a hand to her side. Looking at her waist she could see  the cut ram deep and cursed Mira, pushing past the pain to continue her pursuit.

            The mermaid didn’t even know where they were going but she could tell she was gaining on the mermaid in front of her. They neared the surface when Mira looked back to see Taura on her tail. Eyes widening she turned around and held up her hands as a force field pushed Taura back a great distance with such force it knocked the wind out of her. Spinning, Taura’s world seemed distorted,  what was up was now down and Mira’s fleeting figure grew smaller and smaller.

            Trying to swim forward, Taura hesitated to move as her body swayed. Clutching to the sides of her head she tried to shake off the nauseous feeling. Eventually she swam up to the surface to catch her breath. Gasping for air, her body bobbed up and down as the waves pushed her from side to side. The waters were rough and the sky above was gray. She looked around her to see nothing but open water surrounding her and that didn’t help her decipher where she was. Spinning around continuously with water splashing into her face making her vision blurry, she finally noticed something just north of her position.

            Black dots scattered on the horizon and a large thin black landform was just ahead. Diving back down, Taura swam faster in their direction when she could hear her name being called from behind her.

            “Taura stop! Wait! Taura!” Ran’s voice echoed in the water as the mermaid and Siren swam towards the awaiting mermaid. Taura felt a hard body collide with hers as arms wrapped around her neck and a face buried itself in her shoulder, “We’ve been looking for you. We thought something happened to you.”

            Taura turned to see a redd Ran as well as a relieved Sehun who floated a few feet away from them with a smile. Ran let go of her friend as Sehun took her side, “We were on our way to see my mother but there was no one back home. We figured the worst had happened and decided to come to the island where Ran first got kidnapped.”

            “Well you’re not the only one headed in that direction. There seems to be a whole fleet of ships on their way to the island.” Taura pointed to where she saw the ships. Sehun looked behind her then to the two mermaids, “Taura do you know where my mother is?”

            “I-I left them behind. I would think they followed me here.” Taura trailed off when Ran noticed the deep cut on Taura’s waist.

            “Taura, you’re hurt!” The blood seeped through her fingers for the two to see. She winced as Ran went to take her hand away when Sehun asked, “What happened?”

            Ran carefully removed Taura’s hand and placed her hand over the wound while her eyes grew green as a soft glow hovered over the open cut. Slowly the cut healed leaving behind a faint scar, “Mira is behind all of this. I, well your mom and some others and myself, we went back to Venilia and found her with some other nobles,” Taura’s lips quivered, “and we found most of my people dead including my father.”

            Ran gasped as she covered while Sehun clenched his fists as he bit his lip. Taura shook her head though and swam backwards still facing her two friends, “What's done is done. Mira went in the direction of the island so it’s best we follow. Ran, you and Sehun, go after Mira. I’m going to find Talya and the others.”

            The three nodded in agreement and split up.

*~*~*

            On board the King’s ship, Kai was put in the captain’s quarters and was tended to by multip

Please log in to read the full chapter