38

Sea Souls: Mermaid's Tears
Please log in to read the full chapter

            Sehun was soaked to the bone from the hard downpour of rain. With nowhere to seek permanent shelter, he ducked into a nearby bar. He surveyed the small space, seeing that other seamen filled its spaces. A few shot him a look as he passed dripping wet, most just ignored him. He sat on top of a barstool and put in an order for a bottle of soju. Fumbling with his hands, the bartender handed him his drink. He thanked the man, just as two other men sat beside him.

            “Some fishermen are saying that they found a ship washed up on some island in the neutral zones.”

            “And?” The other man called over the bartender as his friend continued.

            “It had the King’s flag.”

            The man that had brushed off his friend’s words, brought his head down as he whispered, “It’s the prince’s ship?”

            His friend nodded slightly as he sipped his drink. Sehun his lips as he inched a bit closer to the two men who didn’t seem to notice.

            “Well, did they find him?”

            “No, there was nobody on the ship but there are men out there searching the area.”

            “And how about the princess?”

            “I don’t know, but some people said they saw her dead and drowning on her wedding day.”

            “Someone killed her? The mermaids?”

            “I don’t know, that was all Shin told me before he left with his crew yesterday.”

            Sehun furrowed his brow as he returned his attention to his drink. Tapping his finger on the side of it, he started to put some pieces together. A ship was found in neutral waters, the princess supposedly died the day of the attack, the princess who traveled with them was a mermaid, Taehyung supposedly said Sirens and mermaids attacked his ship. All of it was still a jumbled mess. He drank his alcohol to clear all of the thoughts that were running through his head while the two sailors beside him got up and left. He watched them leave, just as the bartender came over, giving him another bottle.

            *~*~*~*

            Sehun left the bar once the rain stopped, it was dark out now but the street lights shined bright as people still wandered around. He headed in the direction of the docks, hoping to find some place he could camp out in for one night, preferably a boat or ship of some sort. Once he arrived at the docks, a whole crowd seemed to have gathered at the end near a large docked ship. Cheers could be heard as men hollered and clapped when Sehun could see that a man was proudly yelling something to the crowd below. He ran to area where the men gathered hoping to catch the tail end of the man’s speech.

            “The monster has been caught, men! The monster that harmed our people, has been captured!”

            Men’s cheers turned to screams of triumph at the sailor’s announcement. Sehun remained quiet,

Please log in to read the full chapter