37

Sea Souls: Mermaid's Tears
Please log in to read the full chapter

            The skies outside Kyungsoo’s house were turning a dark gray and the soft rumble of thunder could be heard in the distance. Taura sat on the porch swing by herself since Kyungsoo left to go buy something. She swung her feet while her hands clung to the end of the bench. Her neck outstretched for signs of Kyungsoo coming from either direction. Along with the rumble of thunder, quick flashes of lightning filled the sky causing the girl to jump back and curl up on the seat.

            Going inside would have been a better option, but being alone in the house scared Taura more. It was dark and most of all lonely, she missed being around his grandfather and his friends. Hurry up, Kyungsoo. Taura bit her lips seeing that it started to drizzle and people were running to cover. She hopped up and leaned against the porch railing, hoping that she’d see Kyungsoo making his way to her.

            The rain started to pour down harder as it slammed against the roof and formed a haze making it hard for Taura to see. Time seemed to be passing by slowly as Taura waited but finally she could hear water splashing and saw Kyungsoo running with a bag over his head. She gasped and headed closer to the steps as Kyungsoo climbed up them gasping, “It started to rain hard all of a sudden.”

            He took down the bag from above his head and ruffled his damp head sending droplets in Taura’s direction. She cringed away from him but enjoyed his new look as his hair clung to his forehead as water ran down his cheeks. His clothes were soaked to the brim as he slipped off his shoes and placed them outside the door as he opened it, letting Taura in first, “Why were you outside?”

            “I-I didn’t want to be inside the house by myself.” The girl twirled a few strands of her looking at the ground as Kyungsoo sighed and handed the bag to Taura, “You just have stayed inside, you could’ve gotten wet, but here.”

            Taura took it without a word as Kyungsoo left to go upstairs and change. She watched him climb up the stairs as he continued to ruffle his hair. Once out of sight, Taura blinked down at the bag in her hands and went into the living room, setting the bag on the floor as she sat in front of it. The bag was completely wet but the opening was rolled over a few times so that whatever was inside didn’t get wet. Unrolling the ends of the bag she reached into it to feel a soft fabric as well as something hard underneath it.

            She pulled both things out and gasped at the sweet gesture. Kyungsoo bought her not just one but two new dresses and a brand new pair of shoes. Smiling like an idiot she squealed in delight. One dress was a strapless pastel blue number that cinched at the waist and flowed out. The other was another white dress with spaghetti straps, sweetheart neckline and a sheet skirt with a slip underneath and to go with each dress was a pair of flats with a small bow at the front.

            She took the white one and pressed it against her body as she twirled around with in and looked towards the stairs with a grin, thank you Kyungsoo.

*~*~*~*

            It was late in the evening now and the storm was still going strong outside. Though, Taura wasn’t as scared as before since she sat on the floor of the living room in front of a warm fire with a blanket wrapped around her. She had changed into the blue dress and was playing with the ends of it when Kyungsoo walked in and handed her a warm mug of hot tea, “Here you go.”

          

Please log in to read the full chapter