The Final Choice- Miracles in December

Stay

Hello, it’s been one crazy hell week for me, I think I have depression thanks to this stupid work that’s not related to my degree at all, hence my suffering x( and I’m so stressed with my Korean boss. But anyway, I managed to make an update for today since you guys have been waiting for so long, I’d like to apologize for that.

I want to inform you that this is the first part of the two alternate endings, this is the non-taeny ending but still heart-warming nonetheless. I hope you guys like it since it’s December already, I opted to make the ending a Christmas special.

Note: For Yuri stans, you may recognize the issue I incorporated in here since I do believe that it did happen. Lol.

 

And here’s the number one song that inspired and tickled my feelings to write this one hell of an angst fanfic:

Stay-Rihanna feat. Micky Ecko

 


 

“Want another beer?”

 

“Why not?”

 

Sunkyu throws her a canned Coors from the kitchen as she was rummaging for something to snack on; Taeyeon catches it with one hand.

 

“Nice catch”

 

“Don’t want my LA pitch training to go to waste”

 

They chuckled.

 

Taeyeon has been camping out at Sunkyu’s home days after that fateful event between her and Tiffany, it was there she cried her heart out until it hurt no more, it was there she had asked Sunkyu the same questions over and over again until, she herself deciphered the answer. Sunkyu didn’t mind, she was always so very hospitable to each member, probably because they treat each other as family and not just mere co-workers you mandatory need to get along with.

 

They sat cross-legged on the couch as Sunkyu casually swigs from her beer, she makes a sideways glance at Taeyeon whose eyes were frozen and soulless staring into the TV but obviously oblivious to what’s happening to whatever TV sitcom they were watching.

 

“You’re not okay, are you?”

 

“I don’t think I’ll ever be okay, well, I’d like to believe I would but of course in due time, but definitely not now, not today, not even tomorrow.” She answers, and smiles. Sunkyu guesses if it’s a sad smile meant to compliment her answer or if it’s because of the Tv Commercial about baby diapers that suddenly aired, showcasing baby butts.

 

“Hyoraengi’s not answering her phone; do you know where she is? She said she’d come by a little after 8, it’s been an hour.” the shorter one inquired.

 

“She probably can’t hear it through the blasting stereos in a club somewhere” Taeyeon answers after sipping her drink.

 

“Ah, problems with oppa maybe?”

 

“Maybe, they’ve been on a rough patch lately, from what I’ve heard from maknae, Hyoyeon needs time.”

 

“I see, but then again, relationships aren’t always all sugar right? You have got to have some spice.”

 

“Touché” said Taeyeon as she pointed a finger in the air.

 

Suddenly, Sunkyu’s phone went blinking; there was an incoming call from Yuri.

 

“Hiyah everyone!” said the girl.

 

“Hey, what the hell are you up to today?”

 

Taeyeon looked at Sunny and mouthed a question whether it was Yuri or not, Sunkyu confirmed her assumption by nodding.

 

“Aish, you make it sound like I’m in deep trouble or something” the other one on the line complained.

 

“You are always in trouble, the last one wasn’t even completely ‘case closed’ you know” the girl reprimanded in which Yuri answered by whining on the phone. It was about the issue that surfaced years ago, about two female actresses vying for her attention, sending her gifts and following to whichever country their world tour would be, the company had to ask, of all people, Jessica to simmer things up with a hunky member of some k-pop group to divert the people’s attention.

 

…it was hard on Sica you know, considering you guys dated and wait hang on, I’ll transfer this to video call, and someone wants to say hi to you, just a second”

 

After tapping some buttons, Sunkyu lifted her phone up in the air and flung an arm around a suddenly choking Taeyeon.

 

“Yah!” the taller of them screamed and coughed.

 

“Our dear friend right here, is once again, painstakingly broken-hearted.” Said Sunkyu in which Taeyeon responded by rolling her eyes at the statement.

 

“Yeah, what’s new with that?” Yuri quipped nonchalantly, eyes feigning boredom as she faked a yawn.

 

“Yah! You black girl!”

 

“Who are you calling black, you vertically-challenged being”

 

“YAH!”

 

“Careful not to get mad at times, they say it can dwindle your height…further” Yuri teased and snickered. Taeyeon mumbled a few incoherent words but smiled nonetheless.

 

“Okay, enough with kindergarten child’s play, Yuri-ah, where are we off to for your birthday next week? We have to make early reservations since Christmas is right around the corner.”

 

The two kept conversing as Taeyeon was left to her thoughts. She wanted to cry, joyful tears this time, for she has these amazingly generous friends backing her up every time the world betrays her, she has these sisters from another lifetime that would help and understand her. She knew Yuri wasn’t calling just for the heck of it, she saw a text a while ago while Sunkyu was busy looking for snacks, the girl’s phone lit up and a messaged popped out from Yuri asking if Taeyeon had already gone back home to her apartment safely.

 

She thought if her phone wasn’t dead, she’d received hundreds and thousands of texts and missed calls by now, she looks at Sunkyu who was talking animatedly about how eggs and strawberries go together for appetizer and a grimacing Yuri saying ‘don’t ruin my party by your weird food suggestions’.

 

And she smiles, thinks that maybe the storm has passed and she has survived, that love isn’t all about having Tiffany, that you can be contented with the love your receive from your so-called friends, she’s lucky she’s got 8 of those, still 8 because it is near impossible for her to disregard her friendship with Tiffany, despite their history. And she thinks that it’s just a matter of standing up and moving forward, let time heal all wounds and hope for the better.

 

Like the molting of a snake, you leave the old and scarredskin somewhere and let a new shiny one grow.

 

 

 

***

 

 

When she finally went home after a week, she expected her house to be in complete dusty disaster, not that she thought a jilted Yejin would trash her apartment, but there’s a glint of possibility to that, she’s just thankful that Yejin, despite her age was very much level-headed.

 

It was in the same arrangement as she last saw it, her bed was made, her wardrobe was neat, the carpets were vacuumed, and the sink was empty of dirty dishes although her fridge was unluckily drained of any food. She made a note to go grocery shopping tomorrow or maybe now’s not a bad time for that, why do something later when you can do it today, she thought and started heading for the front door once again when suddenly, the locks turned and in came Yejin, clad in a winter coat, holding a bag of groceries.

 

So much for grocery shopping, Taeyeon surprisingly thought but couldn’t deny the puzzling feeling of joy the moment she saw the girl’s face. That the girl didn’t leave her despite all the crap she put her through, some patience that girl has.

 

“Y-youre back…”

 

“Umm yeah sorry for not informing you about my err…hibernation”

 

“It’s okay, Sunny unnie messages me from time to time.”

 

“Ah, I see”

 

“I bought some stuffs” Yejin said, now entering the room.

 

“You shouldn’t have, let me help” advanced aeyeon, arms gingerly grabbing the bag of groceries settled on the younger girl’s arms letting her take the coat off and slip in into a pair of house flip-flops.

 

They were inches apart, Yejin tensed and so did the other one. They haven’t seen each other for a week and their last parting wasn’t very much jubilant, so to say.

 

They remained frozen for a moment before the latter completely tore her arms away carrying a generous-sized paper bag and settling it atop her kitchen table.

 

“Thanks for these, how much did it cost?” asks Taeyeon as her hands and eyes search for her wallet.

 

“No need”

 

“No seriously, I was about to go out and get some stuffs anyway, and I’m sorry for troubling you, so really, let me pay for these”

 

Yejin sighed and handed out a receipt.

 

“Would you like carbonara or meatball spaghetti for dinner? You haven’t had dinner, have you?” Taeyeon queries as she sorts out the contents and now compares a cream of mushroom sauce and tomato sauce.

 

Yejin’s ears pricked and head shot up, couldn’t believe Taeyeon was able to mask away the tension and be casual with her, since she really didn’t know whether they broke up or not after she stormed out of Sunny’s house warming party.

 

“I- haven’t had supper…” she meekly answered and felt embarrassed and guilty for a reason she didn’t know. It’s not like she was the one who made a ditch after seeing her first love.

 

“Chicken or meat?”

 

“Chicken please”

 

“Chicken Carbonara it is”

 

Yejin smiled, almost teary, knowing that it wasn’t over. They weren’t over.

 

That same night, Taeyeon had the guts to pour everything out to Yejin. From the events that followed after she walked out to Nichkhun arriving at Sunkyu’s house and everything else in between, they both knew it would hurt but they wouldn’t be able to start anew if everything’s in the shadows.

 

They had learned how to be honest, even if the truth stings like acid on skin.

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

8 months later…

 

 

The surroundings are filled with festivities, there are ornaments and decors of green and red, glitters of gold and silver, the air is filled with chiming music of seemingly angelic voices celebrating the birth of a young one. A mild snow decorates the sidewalks as people go about their business with huge smiles on their faces.

 

People greet one another ‘Merry Christmas’ with a sincere smile though they’re talking to a complete stranger. Everyone’s kinder and happier. The world becomes the best place to live in whenever it’s Christmas, it’s always a day of miracles.

 

The Christmas spirit continues to seep in as a group of friends huddle together in Jessica’s vast villa, they were having a small picnic before Christmas Eve. Seohyun is carrying a plate of finger sandwiches from the kitchen; she places it on the picnic table in the back yard, smiling all the way as she sees the two gluttons of SNSD play fight yet again, and she wonders why she’s the maknae of the group.

 

“Do you think my hair looks nice?” asks Sooyoung to Yoona, flaunting her short light brown hair.

 

“No” the other one blatantly answered, although everyone knew this was just pure horseplay.

 

“Oh C’mon! Don’t you know how to up on your unnie’s for some awesome benefits in return?”

 

“Benefits meaning?”

 

“Meaning free food of course, and movie tickets or gift certificates, not just in Korea though, I have ones you can use in Japan.”

 

“I think I can have those with all my CFs right now”

 

“Oh wow, air head alert, someone please pop that balloon of a head you have” Sooyoung retorted, standing up even, convincing the other people in the room to do exactly what she had said.

 

“Kidding unnie, now about those free food you have…” cooed a grinning Yoona, clinging onto Sooyoung’s slender arms and giving her the puppy look.

 

They all laughed.

 

“Hi, sorry we’re late, did we miss anything worthy?” apologized Taeyeon in the middle of taking her coat off with Yejin tailing behind. They were wearing the same sweater but with different designs and colors.

 

“Wow taengoo, you make it sound like we do nonsensical things in here” said Yuri.

 

“That’s what we’ve been doing for the past hour, Yuri.” Jessica said.

 

“Aww, not you too” frowned the other girl and they all laughed once again.

 

“And say that to their matching Christmas sweaters” whistled Sunkyu, chuckling afterwards.

 

“It was her idea, not mine” Taeyeon defended herself with a scowl, Yejin looped her hands around her arms and smiled at her, told her to stop frowning.

 

And that she did.

 

Taeyeon took a bite off a sandwich and closed her eyes, a little.

 

“Oh my God, these are great, who made these?” she asked, chewing on a mouthful.

 

“Not Jessica, that’s for sure” interjected Hyoyeon in which Jessica answered by giving her a frosty glare, the former wasn’t threatened obviously, and she even stuck her tongue out.

 

“You should give this a try” coaxed Taeyeon, holding out a piece of sandwich, Yejin was hesitant at first, consciously glancing over to the other people who were looking at them with the ‘awwww’ look in their eyes, she blushed and took a bite.

 

Their jovial celebrations went on and Yejin was confident enough to go mingle with the others, leaving Taeyeon to have some girl talk with the other members.

 

“Hey Sica, what’s up?”

 

“Same old, same old” Jessica glanced at the person she’s talking to, fixed a stranded hair by tucking it neatly behind the girl’s ear.

 

“You look vibrant, Taeyeon-ah”

 

“I don’t have that much money today, you know” Taeyeon joked. Jessica playfully hit her by the arm, Taeyeon winced.

 

“Don’t think I haven’t noticed the way you look at Yuri”

 

“Oh please Sunkyu already gave me a lecture about that, don’t follow her footsteps.”

 

“Sunkyu likes to nag a lot, doesn’t she?” Taeyeon states as they drink from their cups, her companion nods along.

 

“Her advice usually turns out to be the good ones” answers the other one.

 

“True that”

 

Amidst the throwing of bread crumbs presently happening at the picnic table, Sunkyu, having sensed two pairs of eyes burning her whole being, looked up to see Taeyeon and Jessica eyeing her dotingly. She grimaced and voiced out an audible ‘WAE’.

 

The duo only laughed at her.

 

“Sica, they’re bullying me” Yuri comes up at her frowning like a kid. Jessica ruffles the latter’s hair.

 

“Since when did you become the bullied one?” she teases even more. A shrill ringing echo throughout the villa and Jessica’s torn between receiving the guest or staying by Yuri’s side until Taeyeon decides to step in and get the door for her.

 

Yuri sits beside a silent Jessica, in which the latter leans her head onto the former’s sturdy shoulders.

 

“How’s unnie?” Sica inquires.

 

“I guess with all your modelling appointments overseas, you haven’t heard of us breaking up huh? Well, well, our ice princess is busy earning millions; treat me out to some donkatsu some time, will ya?”

 

She bolted up.

 

“You guys, broke up? Why? When?”

 

“Take it easy on the questions, sweet heart, my heart’s welfare may deteriorate in a minute.” Yuri joked, snorting a bit.

 

“Yuri-ah…

 

That gentle voice was enough to signal her that she’s in this seriously and so she confessed.

 

“Unnie’s really great and I kind of learned how to love her too. She’s pretty and talented and she loves me, but there are conflicts we recently found out”

 

“Conflicts like?”

 

“Are you interrogating me?” Yuri’s eyebrow went up and a playful smirk was visible.

 

“Just answer me”

 

Yuri sighed in defeat. “Fine, you know, since we’re both famous and all, though she loves me, she wanted us to be the traditional hidden couple for the rest of our lives, meaning we’d still marry men and have kids but we’d still be lovers, usual routine for LGBTQ in this country.”

 

“Oh my God Yuri…” Jessica wasted no time and hugged her tight.

 

“Chill, it’s been what? Six months late for that consolation”

 

“I’m really sorry to hear that” Jessica said and held Yuri’s hand, fingers laced.

 

“Plus…”

 

“Plus what?”

 

 

 

 

“Plus, I think I haven’t been completely over someone”

 

“You had another girlfriend?! Did you cheat?!”

 

“Nope, she was the first one I had, and I can’t forget her.” Yuri said in a serious tone, eyes boldly looking at Jessica, burning her.

 

Jessica flustered, she could hear her heartbeat teeming with hope and thinks maybe love is sweeter the second time around, that maybe, maybe this time they could make it work.

 

“She not completely over you as well” she answered, Yuri scooted closer and side-hugged the girl while Jessica took this chance to snuggle with the girl the closest she could get.

 

 

 

***

 

 

With a smile, Taeyeon opens the door and was greeted by a heart-stopping smile she knew all too well. Both their smiles disappeared as they stare at each other for the longest time, not with annoyance or uneasiness, just staring curiously at each other’s pair of familiar orbs. Slowly, little smiles reappear in their faces; Taeyeon was the first one to give her a full smile before Tiffany lets her barriers down and engulfs her in a longing embrace.

 

“Come on, everyone’s waiting for you” Taeyeon says and grabs her hand, dragging her into the backyard, halfway there they meet Yejin who emerged from the kitchen, after disposing an empty plate of finger sandwiches. Tiffany stops and stiffens but Taeyeon encourages her, Yejin gives Tiffany a sincere smile and walks toward them.

 

“Unnie, how have you been?” she greets and gives her a cheek to cheek kiss.

 

Tiffany, a little bit bewildered, looked back at Taeyeon feeling unsure, but Taeyeon was wearing an amused smile on her face. She noticed the matching sweaters and deduced that the two may have ironed out their disagreements. She felt happy for them somehow, but not completely, there was voice inside her that will always claim Taeyeon as hers, though silently.

 

“I’m... I’m doing okay, thanks for asking, how about you? I saw the news on TV, congratulations on landing the female spot for MBC’s new Tv series.”

 

“Thank you unnie” Yejin answered and instead of getting in between them, she opt to stay beside Tiffany as she looped arms with her and made their into the backyard wherein everyone did a chorus of loud greetings the moment they saw Tiffany.

 

“So, how’s life?” initiated Taeyeon as they sat down on a wooden loveseat swing to catch up with life, Tiffany was very persistent on asking if it was fine with Yejin which Taeyeon confirmed for the nth time.

 

And so they sat and swung.

 

“So-so, you? You look great; did you change your hair?”

 

“Nah, mine just grew, Sooyoung’s the one who changed her do, and she’s been flaunting it to our faces ever since she got here” The both of them laughed. Taeyeon saw the silver ring and nodded to herself before asking.

 

“How’s Khun?”

 

It took a few seconds for Tiffany to respond.

 

“Fany-ah, it’s okay, don’t be so jumpy about it, I’ve moved on, we’ve all moved on, It was hard at first, but you know me, I can do anything as long as I have the initiative, I just got tired from all of it and decided to be happy…” Taeyeon held her hand.

 

…you will be forever engraved in my heart and nobody could ever reach that depth inside my heart, I will never forget nor stop loving you because honestly, I can’t do that, I have loved you from the very start, but I’ve also realized that I can’t always get what I want and that I should value what I have” that moment she glanced at Yejin and smiled.

 

“…that girl makes me happy too you know, it would be great if it was you but like what I’ve said, it doesn’t always have to be my way, I want you and you know that, but maybe Yejin’s the one that I need.” She smiled.

 

“Taeyeon-ah, you’re really a grown woman now, I’m impressed” A teary-eyed Tiffany said.

 

“…I’d also like to apologize for being such a coward and not fighting for what I feel for you, but you know I cherish you a lot and I mess up and I don’t want to do that to you, I don’t want to hurt you because you’re too precious for me to lose so it’s better maybe that though I can grasp you wholly, I just keep you at arms reach. And I love you, very much, you know that right?” she said, tears now falling from her eyes.

 

“I do, and I love you too and we’ll stay friends no matter what” Taeyeon answered sniffling as she wiped away Tiffany’s tears and kissed her forehead.

 

The closure was finally done.

 

“Come on now, I’m hungry, let’s go back before Choi and Im finish all the food” she reached out for Tiffany’s hand and together they ran back to the picnic area like the kids they are inside.

 

The clock had struck twelve and the feast they had been preparing was complete and scrumptiously laid out on Jessica’s long picnic table.

 

On the right side of the bench were Yuri and Jessica, sharing a plate. Yoona and Seohyun talking about the former’s new action-packed tv series as Seohyun reminds her not to be too hyper as to prevent any accidents, and Sunkyu who was making a video call with her parents, Hyoyeon would interfere at times and say ‘Merry Christmas omonim’ to Sunny’s mother.

 

On the other side were Sooyoung busily picking out each kind of food there was on the table, Tiffany was in between Taeyeon and Yejin but the couple didn’t seem to mind, they wanted her to know and feel that there shouldn’t be any reason to feel tensed around them anymore.

 

“I’d like to make a toast for this year’s Christmas and another year of our super awesome friendship” says Jessica, lifting a wine glass as everyone lifted their and glasses clanked here and there.

 

 

“MERRY CHRISTMAS!” they all said.

 

“Guys look here, come on I’m gonna post this on instagram” Taeyeon said as she held out her phone the highest she could.

 

“On three, one, two, three say kimchi!”

 

A snap and it was done, It was a picture of all of them, smiling widely and dorkily. Taeyeon made it her new wallpaper and uploaded in on a social media site wishing all the sones and people around the world a very merry Christmas.

 

Sometimes, if not most of the time, when parted with someone whom you were deeply attached with, the feeling of familiarity never goes away, no matter how many years may pass the memories of the good old days when you were younger, immature and insensitive lives vividly inside your mind. Those were the days you felt most alive.

 

Taeyeon has a lot of those good old days with Tiffany, imagine living with each other for almost half of your lives, even couples who divorced after ten or twenty years of marriage cannot just simply detach themselves from each other right? There’s always that one faint yet visible link that bonds them together, when you meet people, you occupy a chapter in their life; it’s up to you on how you fill that chapter.

 

With Taeyeon and Tiffany, a chapter isn’t enough. Theirs would be a book full of glowing youth, of hardships and triumph, of tears and smiles, of happy and sad days, of excruciating pain, of jilted jealousy, of passionate lust and heartfelt care and extraordinary friendship but most of all, it’s all about love, a love so true that words in this mere fanfic couldn’t even get close to explaining.

 

 

 

 

 


And there you have it folks, the non-taeny ending, and yes exo's song miracles in december is jjang! ♫

anyway, noticed how I put Taeyeon’s ‘I can do whatever’s appointed to me’ line? Lol.

Wait for Alternate Ending part 2, the sweet taeny ending! Leave some comments juseyo~