Limit

자유 True Beauty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

limit [lim-it] n. a point or level beyond which something or someone cannot surpass.  

 

“Hello President Cho, President Lu, it’s very nice to see you again,” Mihyun smiled brightly as she bowed her greeting. “I heard Mrs. Cho gave birth not too long ago, I hope your baby girl grows up into a lovely woman.”

“It would be great if she became just half the woman you are, Miss Han,” President Cho laughed merrily in response. He paused for a moment and leaned in with the side of his hand against his mouth, “I heard you and your father are going through a temporary feud right now?”

“Oh it isn’t temporary,” Mihyun responded with a gentle laugh. “I think my father is losing his touch in his control, and it would be such a waste to see a company as great as Han corp self destruct. It’s really painful to have to fight against my father, but I have to be selfless and place my family ties aside to do what is best for the people.”

“Yes, yes, such dedication. I will certainly be voting in your favor when the time comes,” Presiden Cho agreed, with President Lu nodding along side him.

“Will your father be attending?” President Lu asked as he glanced around.

“I have to admit that I’m not sure. He hasn’t been taking my proposal all too well, and has refused to have any connection with me,” Mihyun sighed regrettably. “It’s heartbreaking, really.”

“How childish of him,” President Lu frowned as he clapped the girl gently on the shoulder. “Everything will be fine in time.”

“Thank you, I appreciate it very much,” Mihyun bowed once more before the small group split up to mingle with others. Her face dropped the second the others had turned their back, and she shot Jaesuk a dirty look when he stifled a laugh beside her.

“Was this always so tiring?” Mihyun murmured under her breath as she sent Jaesuk a look of desperation.

“Maybe you’re just losing your touch,” Jaesuk chuckled as he carefully pulled Mihyun aside so she would evade the spilling water.

“I apologize, I apologize!” the waiter bowed repetitively as he quickly cleaned up the mess.

Mihyun held up a hand to tell him that it was alright before moving to the corner to take a quick rest as well as check in with the others. She held her hand up to her eyes as she pretended to fix the charms on her bracelet, actually speaking into the pendant shaped microphone that dangled from her wrist.

“How is it going, Yixing?”

She winced at the static that sounded through her ear piece before a voice finally crackled through. “All is well; Sehun and Jongin are working the quickest and have already managed to install one.”

“And the others?” Mihyun asked, her nerves calming momentarily at the news.

“Fine as well. Luhan and Baekhyun almost ran into some trouble, but it went smoothly,” Yixing answered. “Calm down, Mihyun. I’ve only seen two guards wandering around so far, so they shouldn’t be running into any trouble.”

“The fact that you guys are so calm is what’s making me nervous,” Mihyun muttered under her breath. “The unexpected always happens, Yixing, always.”

“Well since you expect it, it shouldn’t be happening now, should it?” Yixing laughed cheerfully in return.

“I will hit you, I swear to god I will,” Mihyun grumbled as she folded her arms to sulk against the wall.

“Are you pouting?” Yixing asked with amusement.

“No,” Mihyun muttered.

“Don’t lie, I can clearly see you through the camera,” Yixing’s laughter crackled into her ear.

Mihyun’s eyes narrowed before wandering around the room, finally discovering the camera overhead that was faced in her direction. Yixing laughed again when Mihyun stalked to the side to avoid being caught on film.

“You’re a lot more immature than I thought you were, Zhang Yixing,” Mihyun sighed as she accepted the drink Jaesuk had gone off to get her.

“I could say the same about you,” Yixing remarked. There was a brief pause of silence before Yixing’s voice drifted in once again. “Thank you, Mihyun, for trusting me enough to ask for this favor.”

“Shouldn’t I be the one thanking you, Yixing?” Mihyun smiled, shaking her head when Jaesuk glanced at her questioningly.

“Could you guys, I don’t know, stop talking?” a sudden voice intercepted their conversation. “I don’t know why, but we can hear everything you guys are saying, and Sehun looks like he’s about to strangle somebody.”

“Jongin? That’s strange, your transmit signals shouldn’t be blending with others. I’ll see if I can get that fixed,” Yixing replied as he fumbled around with the keyboard to find a solution.

“No, leave it,” Sehun’s voice grumbled. “I want to know what you have to say, pretty boy.”

“Don’t you think the jealousy act is getting a little old?” Jongin asked. There was a brief thump and a short yelp before he continued with, “Okay, fine, fine.”

Mihyun chuckled quietly to herself breath, finding Sehun’s moments of jealousy rather cute than irritating. “Alright, I’m going back to the party so you can all argue amongst yourselves.”

“Just a heads up, Mihyun, but your father just walked in,” Yixing informed her.

Mihyun froze for a split second before relaxing her body. She pressed her lips into a smile, and walked back into the center of the room to rejoin the guests. She almost immediately bumped into her father, cursing quietly under her breath once the pair made eye contact. Jaesuk, who was at her side, tensed noticeably, and she placed a gentle hand on his arm to calm him down.

Chando had planned to avoid the girl, and continued to walk forward as if he hadn’t even noticed her, but Mihyun would allow no such thing.

“Hello father,” Mihyun bowed deeply as she forced a pleasant smile onto her face. She spoke rather loudly, purposely attracting the attention of those around. “It’s nice to see you again.”

Chando scoffed incredulously, obviously showing no attempt to return the polite mannerisms – exactly the thing Mihyun had been hoping for. “You have some nerve.”

“I can see that you still haven’t forgiven me,” Mihyun sighed as she slowly reached forward to place a hand on her father’s chest, knowing full well he would allow no such thing.

“Don’t touch me, you filthy betrayer,” Chando snapped as he slapped her arm away with an audible smack. The noise echoed even louder against the hollow walls, and all eyes blatantly trained themselves on the father daughter pair, not even attempting to be discreet any longer.

“Do not lay your hands on Agashi like that,” Jaesuk growled as he took a threatening step forward.

Mihyun held out a hand to stop him in place, and she turned to her father with a saddened expression. “It’s fine, Jaesuk, he has every right to be angry.” She turned to her father and bowed deeply once more. “I hope one day you will realize why I had to do this, father.”

“Such a day will never come,” Chando responded with narrowed eyes and barred teeth.

“Now, President Han, you can’t speak in such a way to your daughter,” President Park smiled awkwardly as he stepped forward to defend Mihyun.

“No matter what, blood is thicker than water,” President Myun spoke up in agreement.

Chando let out a low growl as he gazed at the expressions of disdain that were trained on him. He let out a loud scoff, “It looks like you have all these people wrapped around your little finger, haven’t you?”

He took a step forward to come closer to Mihyun. “I didn’t know you could be this despicable, Mihyun,” Chando growled under his breath in a volume inaudible to foreign ears.

“I think you’ve forgotten who raised me, father,” Mihyun responded quietly without skipping a beat.

Chando curled his upper lip into a small snarl before spinning sharply on his feet to disappear into the crowd of people.

“I must say that I was hesitant to vote against Chando at first, but he really has lost it, hasn’t he?”

“How disgraceful, he should be ashamed of his actions.”

Mihyun forced down the victorious smile that was threatening to spread across her lips, and accepted the pity and sympathy of the other presidents. After all, every piteous expression was another vote in her favor.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter