Dauntless

자유 True Beauty
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dauntless [dänt-less] adj. - Incapable of being intimidated or discouraged; fearless.

 

Mihyun laid in bed, dark circles under her eyes from yet another restless night. The day the papers would be filed was coming nearer and nearer, and she still was absolutely clueless as to what she could do. To rebel against her father’s wishes and continue to visit the Noye house like nothing changed was certainly out of the question. She knew that by disobeying her father, she would put the other Noyes in harm’s way and had to think up of some way to work around his wishes and not blatantly disobey him.

As she rose from her bed, she glanced at the growing amount of folders and books that were scattered across her work table. The mountain of books and files must have grown to a height that surpassed her own by then, yet she still found herself unable to begin to work. Whenever she sat down in front of the mountain, she would find her mind in a far off place, and always end up reading the same sentence three or so times before finally closing her book in vain.

“Agassi, it’s time for you to get ready for school,” Jaesuk called out as he entered Mihyun’s room. A frown slipped onto his face when his eyes caught onto the pile of work that lay abandoned on her desk, and he turned to chide Mihyun for her procrastination. He let his words die on the tip of his tongue once he examined the fatigued state Mihyun was in, however, and stepped forward to help the girl out of bed.

“Perhaps you should see a doctor?” Jaesuk suggested lightly as he brushed his thumb against the dark circles that formed under Mihyun’s eyes.

The girl quickly shook her head in protest before she ran her fingers through her long, messy hair. “I’ll be fine, Jaesuk. I’m just going through a rough time right now, but all will be well.”

Jaesuk knew not to question the girl’s endurance any longer, and pulled her uniform out of her closet for her to change into. “It would be fine to skip school today, you know. You have been attending for a week straight already,” he suggested casually, hoping that the girl would agree to his words.

Mihyun simply stared at him, and that was enough for him to know of her reply.

“Your father has returned from his business trip, and is waiting downstairs for you. He said that he wanted to eat breakfast with you since it has been quite a while since the two of you’ve met,” Jaesuk informed her as she slipped her night gown off of her shoulders. He didn’t even blink when he stared at Mihyun’s almost bare body, already used to her creamy skin. After all, he was the one who even gave her baths when they were both young, and retained no lustful thoughts for the girl.

“He’ll probably just scold me for visiting the Noye house too often again,” Mihyun sighed as she gestured for Jaesuk to come forward to tie her uniform’s neck tie – she had always had problems with where the fabric was supposed to loop through.

“Have you come up with a plan, yet?” Jaesuk asked as he leaned against her dresser, propping his chin up with his fist.

“Don’t worry, you’ll think of something eventually,” Jaesuk smiled encouragingly when all Mihyun did was sigh in response. “You always do, don’t you?”

Mihyun winced unnoticeably at Jaesuk’s words as she felt the weight on her shoulders increase the slightest bit. “Let’s get down; we can’t keep my father waiting.”

“Ah, Mihyun,” Chando greeted her daughter when she flitted into the room. She returned his greeting with a small smile and a light bow before taking a seat in her respective spot at the dining table.

“How have things been going with school? Do you still have the first place in your grasps?” Chando asked as he placed down the newspaper he had been reading.

“Neh, Appa,” Mihyun responded politely as she took a bite of her toast.

“Jaesuk?” Chando asked with a raised eyebrow as he stared at the man expectantly.

“Han Agassi scored a perfect score on the last exam. In their overall points, the student in second place is still over a hundred points away from beating Han Agassi,” Jaesuk immediately stated.

A satisfied smile spread across Chando’s lips, and he let out a bellowing laugh. “My daughter is always so modest.”

“Thank you for your praise, Appa,” Mihyun responded quietly as she gave her father a small bow. Her eye caught on to the headline that was labeled across his newspaper, and widened in surprise. “Father, may I…?”

Chando’s eyes lowered to follow Mihyun’s line of sight, and he picked up his newspaper to hand to his daughter. “Such a horrible event, wouldn’t you think so? I hope this doesn’t ruin business. Those rodents are always causing trouble for the rest of us; you would think that they knew their place in society by now.”

Mihyun remained silent as her eyes quickly scanned the inked text, mentally retaining all the information that was present.

“Well, I must leave now or I’ll be late,” Chando excused himself as he put on his coat. “Be safe today, and don’t stay too long at that dump. It’s especially dangerous now.”

All Mihyun spared was a nod as she continued to read the article.

“We must go or we’ll be late,” Jaesuk stated the second Mihyun placed the newspaper down. She nodded her head and followed Jaesuk to the car as she thought over the things she had just discovered. A small smile slid onto her face, and her eyes gleamed as she thought of an idea.

“Change of plans, Jaesuk,” Mihyun announced as she slid into the car, the words she had just read in the newspaper still fresh in her brain. “Looks like we’re going to be paying an early visit to the Noye house.”

 

 

 

 

 “There’s been a revolt,” Mihyun whispered in a hushed voice of excitement as she stared into the eyes of the six Noyes.

“What do you mean?” Chanyeol asked with a raised eyebrow of confusion. “What kind of revolt?”

“A Noye revolt, there’s been one a few days ago not too far from here, maybe 160 miles south,” Mihyun stated as her eyes darted over her shoulder every so often to make sure no others were eavesdropping on their conversation.

Sehun got a bad vibe from the look of excitement that filled the girl’s eyes.

After deeming her next words safe from foreign ears, she added in a hushed whisper, “What if we had a revolt ourselves? All of the Noyes in Gwangju have been freed – well, they are not legally free yet, and there are currently large bounties put on their heads, but I spoke with some officials on the way here and they say that the Noyes of Gwangju should earn their absolute freedom in no longer than a few days. The dreams you all possess, the dreams you all shared yesterday, what if they could come true? What if you could make it so they wouldn’t remain just a dream any longer, and become a reality?”

Dead silence captured the cage, and the eager smile on Mihyun’s face slid lower and lower as she gazed at the unenthused faces of the others.

“Are you crazy?” Baekhyun finally stated bluntly. “We wouldn’t make it ten minutes.”

“Mihyun, I’m thankful that you’re so eager to help us fight for our freedom, but… a revolt?” Jongin murmured hesitantly as he scratched the back of his head. “I don’t think… I don’t think that’s the right path for us.” Kyungsoo nodded along with his words.

“Then what exa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter