Chapter 3. Job Hunt

Year of the Zodiac: Story of the Ox

"This is the fifth place we've tried, Hwayoung. Let's face it, no one wants to hire me." Mi Cha complained to her friend.

"Just relax, Mi Cha. You'll find a job, I know it. You're so capable of everything, those other stores are crazy for not wanting you." Hwayoung assured her.

"Stop it, you're just saying that. I am not pretty enough to work retail or get customers." Mi Cha whined, "Everyone wants someone like you."

Hwayoung glared at her, "Don't say that. You will find a job, I know you will. We need the money to go on a trip to Jeju together." She said.

"You can go into this restaurant, the past three stores wanted you but you didn't think the pay was enough." Mi Cha said, "I can just find another way to raise money for Jeju."

"Shut up and come with me." Hwayoung told her. "This restaurant has a reputation for only hiring girls so you should get a job here with me."

"Fine." Mi Cha said as she was dragged in by Hwayoung. The two girls walked into the restaurant and a manager immediately greeted them.

"How may we help you today?" He said to them, with a wide smile on his face.

"We saw that you're hiring and wanted to apply." Hwayoung said with confidence and her signature smile.

The man fell for it immediately and looked ecstatic, "You're already hired." He said, "The pay starts at $12/hour but you collect your own tips." He offered.

Hwayoung smiled as she finally got the pay that she wanted and turned to him again, "But what about my friend?" She asked him. "I want to work together with her." She gestured at Mi Cha.

The man took one glance at Mi Cha, her glasses hid half her face, she barely had makeup on her face, and her hair wasn't long and luxurious. "Umm… What exactly does your friend want to do here?" He asked nicely.

"She wants to be a waitress too, like me." Hwayoung smiled at him sweetly. She would do anything to get Mi Cha a job, they had to go to Jeju together.

"Well.. I'm sorry to say that we only have one position available and you fit all of the qualifications while your friend does not." The man said, guilt written all over his face. 

"You haven't even seen our resumes." Hwayoung pointed out to him. She held out both of their papers and gave it to him.

He grimaced slightly, taking them from her hands and looking them over. Hwayoung had worked in a cafe before while Mi Cha had no experience except in filing paperwork. "As I suspected, only you qualify for the position." The man said pointedly to Hwayoung. He turned to Mi Cha, "Why don't you try for a secretarial position in a company?" He suggested.

"They won't take people without secretary experience." Mi Cha told him sadly, "But I would prefer that type of job."

Hwayoung turned to Mi Cha with a glare on her face, "Fine. I will take this job. But I need to find my friend a job as well. So you have my contact information on the resume. Please contact me about future interviews or scheduling." She said, grabbing Mi Cha's hand and dragging her out of the restaurant.

"Thank you for accepting the position!" The man called after them as the door slammed shut behind them.

---

Two pairs of eyes searched the screens as people walked past them over and over again. The pull wasn't there, she wasn't on the screen yet. She wasn't walking about on the streets, they couldn't look into people's houses because that would take too much time.

"How could you say that you would rather have a secretarial position? He could have offered you the job if I made him do it!" Hwayoung shouted at her.

"There." Hyori said, pointing at the girl with the glasses.

Ailee followed her gaze and the other screens disappeared, focusing only on the girl. "She is the one." Ailee said in agreement.

"You should get her to work for Joong Ki." Hyori suggested. "While I try to figure out what to do about that cousin."

"Okay." Ailee said. She watched as Mi Cha continued on her way to the next cafe.

Hwayoung walked in with her and they saw a female employer inside, maybe this time Mi Cha could get hired without worrying about ism.

"Good morning, ahjumma." Hwayoung greeted and Mi Cha followed.

"Hello there, what can I do for you girls?" The ahjumma said, drying her hands on the apron she had on.

"it says that you're hiring, ahjumma." Hwayoung stated simply, urging Mi Cha forward.

"I am. Do you want a job, dear?" She directed her question at Hwayoung.

"Not me, ahjumma. My friend. She needs a job, see the two of us want to go to Jeju Island together and we need to raise money for that." Hwayoung explained.

The ahjumma looked Mi Cha up and down. "She's not exactly the type to work in a place like this." She commented.

"We have heard that before, but she's a hard worker. And a fast learner." Hwayoung argued, "She can do whatever you need her to do."

The ahjumma pursed her lips together, "Maybe if she got contacts, grew out her hair, and wear more dresses." She advised. "Then, I can hire her."

Hwayoung sighed, "Why is everyone so focused on appearances? She works hard, she listens well." She told her.

"This business is all about appearances though. Most of my customers are male, and they buy more when the girls are good-looking and flirt with them." The ahjumma said, "Girls more like you," She pointed at Hwayoung.

"I can flirt, yes. But my friend needs a job." She replied back.

"Your friend should take lessons from your first, sweetie." The ahjumma said, "I will let her work for me if you can do that."

Hwayoung scoffed at her explanation, grabbing Mi Cha's wrist and pulling her out of there.

Mi Cha was almost in despair at the last restaurant they could find in the whole block.

"Sir, my friend really wants a job. She really needs a job." Hwayoung said to the man who had been eyeing her the whole time.

He shook his head, "I'm sorry, but your friend isn't really qualified to work in a restaurant, she has no prior experience in customer service." The man said.

"But she's a hard worker, if you just gave her a chance, then she could do really well." Hwayoung told him.

"I'm really sorry. I can't hire someone with no experience here. This restaurant has a no walk-ins policy, and that means I need qualified workers." The main said apologetically.

Hwayoung sighed, "We have tried everywhere. No one wants to give my friend a job." 

The man said, looking over her resume again, "Do you like doing secretarial work?" He asked her.

Mi Cha nodded furiously, "Of course, it's easy, it's fast. I have no problems working alone." She said, showing that she was even more unqualified for a customer service position.

He smiled at her eagerness, "There's a man in that corner table over there." He pointed in his restaurant. "He's been conducting interviews for a secretary all day but he never hires anyone. Why don't you try apply for that job?" He suggested.

She approached the line of ladies dressed formally as they waited for their chance to be interviewed. She felt a bit out of place, wearing simple jeans and blazer but maybe this was it.

Maybe she could get this job.


Author's Note;
this was basically half done.
I just finished it up for the update :o
i gotta try and get into it.
But i have like this "midterm" on tuesday :/
Sighh..
enjoy though ^^