BONUS: Luhan's Love

Porcelain Body
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was the beginning of spring when Luhan’s first year in middle school started. It was the time of year when the cherry trees blossomed; pink blossoms decorated the limbs in different shades, some in a lighter color, some in a darker one. The petals which got loosened by the warm wind, floated in the air, whirling around and creating a beautiful mess on the streets. It was also the time of the year where feelings blossomed.

However, 13-year-old Luhan hadn’t experience love yet and neither did he ever come into touch with any feelings which would come close to love. Since spring vacation had started, he began to work in his grandmother’s bakery to save up money for a new video game console because his last one got broken recently. For a few hours a day, he was allowed to help out in the bakery’s kitchen.

Luhan’s job was to stir the vanilla cream, to knead the dough, sort out the pastries and label the packets of cookies. It wasn’t much what he was earning in those three hours of work, but at the end of every shift, when Luhan was standing outside, counting the money and running his fingers through his dark hair as an act of convergence, he was always glad to see his salary. Just a few weeks more and he would have earned enough money to afford the console he was dreaming of. But at the end of his vacation, the money still wasn’t enough, hence Luhan decided to work an hour before school would start every day.

Since this day was his first day in a new school, the boy was especially nervous. Excitement mixed together with anticipation and a touch of fear. Luhan was careful this day due to his new school uniform. It was the first time that he could wear the marine blue pants along with the blazer and he felt pretty proud and mature, although he was only a freshman. But entering middle school had always been very exciting for pupils, because it was like entering a new world. They’d make new friends, get new teachers and new subjects.

Luhan loved to make new friends, therefore he wanted to leave a good impression and was very careful to not get smudged with flour or other creams and liquids. Therefore, his grandmother allowed him to work behind the counter for one day and not in the kitchen; she knew how important this first day was for Luhan.

“Luhan, can you get the strawberry shortcake out of the kitchen? And the blueberry cake as well.” His grandmother wiped the back of her hand over her forehead, seeming endlessly restless although they just opened half an hour ago. It was clear, that she needed to stop working sooner or later and go on pension. She was still a strong person, but a 12-hour-shift couldn’t be managed by her anymore.

“Alright, grandma!” Luhan put the last packages with cookies on the sales counter.

Since today was the first day of the new school year, the bakery was very crowded. Most of the costumers were students from the high school nearby; the high school Luhan would enroll in three years from now; the high school, where he’d meet his true love again – but for now, he didn’t know about that. Luhan just admired the students who were years older than him and although his high school years were still far away, he couldn’t help but to dream about wearing the red tie, the dark blue, neat, elegant uniform with the school’s emblem on it, showing it off proudly. He couldn’t wait for it.

Luhan turned around and got into the kitchen, moving over to the counter where the finished cakes were placed. Like always, it was a stressful day, but today everyone was a bit busier since the pastries were sold in a minute cycle. Cooks and bakers were running around, trying to do different things at the same time and Luhan knew, he would only disturb them by standing around, so he quickly got the strawberry shortcake and walked through the door into the shop.

“I’d like to have a piece of melon bread please.”

It was a light voice which made Luhan look up even before the door closed behind him. First, he didn’t see much of her since she had her head lowered, her dark, silky hair covering half of her face.

“And a croissant.”

She looked up and flashed a cheerful smile at the assistant behind the counter. It was a warm, sweet smile; that kind of a pure and whole-heartedly one. And when she was doing so, she tucked a strand of her hair which got loosened behind her ear, revealing her whole face.

Luhan felt how his breath caught. The door closed behind him, but he couldn’t move a single step. His grip around the cake’s plate tightened. It certainly was not her outward appearance – indeed, for him, she was beautiful -  but her aura, the bright and cheerful vibe she gave off with her sweet smile which spread across her whole face.

And for the first time ever in his young life, for the first time on that early spring morning, Luhan got to know a feeling which he had never encountered before: His heart pumping against his chest in an incredible speed, making him feel excited and causing his cheeks to flush. A comfortable, yet unfamiliar warmness crawled up his body, filling him to the end of his last fiber. Whatever Luhan tried, he c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter