Point-less and Plotless

Plot-less and Pointless: The Marriage of a Fanfic and a Rant

Lee Hyukjae thinks Lee Donghae is handsome. He has shamelessly expressed this on various television shows because it’s the truth and his parents had brought him up to be as honest as possible and had reiterated it when he had debuted. Undoubtedly, he has had his share of deceitful public statements which had all been for his personal or Super Junior’s good. No idol in his right mind, especially one that has fans so possessive and easily infuriated, would ever admit that he’s dating, right? Still, that’s about the only thing that he makes sure to keep secret.

His admiration for Donghae’s beauty, of course, is not something he thinks he should keep to himself. The fans love it, go gaga over it, especially those that support him and Donghae as a romantic couple. They’re not, though, and sometimes it gets awkward in the dormitory after Hyukjae says something related to him being Donghae’s owner, or when Donghae has clung to Hyukjae more than necessary, but the feeling dies down with a mischievous smile from either of them followed by laughter and an invitation to watch a DVD.

Questions don’t exist between them. Did you mean it? Why were you so touchy all of a sudden? Where did you get those cheesy lines? Why am I the girlfriend? None of those ever comes up for one reason or another. Those are inexistent, too, the reasons. One can only guess. Perhaps Hyukjae only says those things to tease. Perhaps Donghae is just naturally fond of another body pressed against his.

Or maybe it’s the other way around. Maybe they’re in-love but they don’t know it yet.

Subconscious love. Maybe it’s ignorance on their part. Or simply denial.

~

Lee Donghae always misses Lee Hyukjae. It had been terrible when he ended up in Taiwan and the monkey stayed in Korea, but it’s the worst when they’re in the same country yet they’re assigned to do things that keep them apart. The thought of breathing the same air doesn’t cut it anymore after a few weeks because a person who isn’t in front of you isn’t really anywhere else if you think about it and what isn’t there is something you will long for and being in the same sub-group is actually a load of bull.

Donghae tries to be happy, tries to look as if it were perfectly alright not to have a glimpse of even the back of Hyukjae’s head or catch what’s left of his laughter when Kyuhyun says a joke, but he finds that he isn’t very good at it. He thinks of Kyuhyun and Sungmin who are paired up by fans and they get to be together all the time, whether it’s in shows or in room assignments, and sure, there are moments when Donghae thinks he’s getting sick of Hyukjae’s presence so not seeing one another should be a good thing. The problem is that Donghae recovers from that disease without so much as a drop of medicine so he thinks of Hyukjae all the time and wonders if Hyukjae does it, too.

The hugging and the kissing and the holding of hands are all silent pleas of help. What kind? Donghae doesn’t know, he’s not sure of it, but yes, he wants Hyukjae to help him by returning every single gesture. At night his chest hurts from having been rejected of a simple kiss on the cheek or having received a half-hearted insult and it keeps him up. When Hyukjae asks him about it the next day he doesn’t answer unless he’s asked for the second time. Your fault, he says with a frown and tears in his eyes threatening to fall. Ryeowook gasps at the sight so Hyukjae takes Donghae to the parking lot to privately ask him what’s going on. 

Donghae shakes his head. He cries. It really hurts but it’s not as though he can say it out loud. When it’s this kind of pain that attacks him, Donghae’s speech is immobilized. Hyukjae embraces him and it amazes Donghae that that skinny body could produce so much warmth that unties even the tightest knot of annoyance and frustration in him. If there’s one thing that Donghae cannot do for long, it’s hating Hyukjae. It’s like all forms of suicide, and Donghae still has a lot of dreams left to fulfill.

~

Lee Hyukjae and Lee Donghae are straight. At least in the eyes of most.

There’s the issue of them being gay for one another. Hyukjae snorts at it. Donghae maintains a poker face. Heechul points it out in a random fan’s blog and bothers them about it for the next four days. Kyuhyun joins him on the second day. Being gay and being gay for just one specific person are two completely different things, they insist, and Hyukjae asks on the third day what the point of all their teasing is.

Donghae’s face turns into a tomato at Kyuhyun’s answer. Hyukjae finds it difficult to lower his left eyebrow.

Two male celebrities dating in Korea—better to swim in a pool of water and blood with sharks and piranhas than to have that going around.

Donghae and Hyukjae avoid each other for two days until Leeteuk calls for a group meeting. They sit on opposite sides of the room and everyone in between feels the tension so much that in no time, Siwon has flung Donghae over his right shoulder and sits him down next to Hyukjae. Hyukjae tries to leave but the two oldest members glare at him, leaving holes in his legs so he can’t walk away. Donghae’s arm makes contact with Hyukjae’s and there’s a jolt of electricity. It may be because Eunhyuk is wearing socks and the floor is carpeted. And then it could be something more illogical but more truthful but logic should always come first.Always.

It’s logical to shake hands after the meeting and pretend like nothing had ever been discussed. What’s the point of starting a fire outside when the rain clouds have long rolled in?

No one ever remembers the existence of fireplaces.

~

Fan service is a ; it poisons both the fan and the celebrity. For the fan, delusional thoughts become abundant and desperation for “wanted realities” to happen is always there, a professional stalker. For the celebrity, total freedom is lost and every action should pass through a sieve with microscopic holes since the list of fan-approved things is a short one, probably half of an A4-sized paper. 

Oh fine, three-fourths it is.

Donghae stands on one spot without a care in the world and Hyukjae lifts up his shirt from behind. It’s one point in time and it’s fan service and Donghae thinks too much about everything he’s ever done with Hyukjae on stage only to get a headache because of it. Hyukjae hands him a glass of water and a couple of pills before kissing him goodnight on the forehead and leaving the apartment to go back to his own downstairs.

Fan service is a ; it blurs the line between reality and whatever it is that’s on the other side that Donghae cannot comprehend no matter how many headaches he gets.

~

Hyukjae’s and Donghae’s names not only have the same number of letters when written in the English alphabet and have the same number of syllables in Hangeul and rhyme; they are also attached to the same last name. It’s a common Korean family name, so common that Sungmin shares it with them, but his name isn’t Sungmae therefore not fitting the analogy. Add to that the fact that they’re both dancers and have ended up debuting in the same group.

It’s no one else’s analogy but theirs.