039.

⚜ Tied By A Child

           I feel much better now than I did yesterday when I was emitted to the hospital.  The bed’s warm and cozy.  The monitor’s beeping according to my pulse.  I would say all is well, but then I feel something wet between my legs.  Did I accidentally pee while I slept?  Embarrassing.  But then that thought left my mind when my muscles began to tense up.

           “Eomma…?” My eyes are squeezed shut, hands feeling for my mother’s.  “Eomma!” I opened and looked around the empty room.  The clock is directly in front of me, hanging on the wall.  The pain starts up again slowly, torturing me.  2:47.

           I panic.  My hands press again my stomach.  My stomach is hardening…You’re having contractions, Miyoung! Twisting pain shoots up between my legs, muscles hardening.  “Ohh, God.” I breath, “deep breaths, Miyoung.” I try to calm myself as my hands blindly reach for the red call button for help.  Remember what you learned in class, Miyoung.  I told myself. 

           Take deep breaths.

           Find a clock and time contractions.

           .

           I hunch over and begin to take long, deep breaths.  I can’t even begin to express what kind of pain I’m in.  Within seconds though, everything relaxes and I’m suddenly back to normal, minus my heavy breathing.  I look up at the clock once again.  “2:49.” I muttered.  That was only 2 minutes? Gosh, it felt like forever.

           I swallow then turn my head.  I find the help button and press it before my eyes create a stream of tears down my face.  This was it.  My water broke, and in a couple hours, my baby would be here.  Fear came crawling to me. 

           The door opened and a nurse walked in.  “My water broke…” I gasped through my hiccups.  "My first contraction lasted 2 minutes and hasn’t come back yet.” I sniffed.  She nodded and walked over, checking my vital signs before leaving quickly to get my doctor who appeared moments later.

           “How are you feeling right now?” She asked me.  I bitterly chuckled, “I’m scared…” I muttered, “where’s mom?” I asked her and she looked at me, “She went to eat lunch with your father and Jae in the cafeteria; I just told a nurse to inform them.  Your friends are in the waiting room as well, but I didn’t want them in here to disturb your rest.” She told me and lifted my hospital gown to check below my cervix.

           “Take a deep breath, Miyoung.” She told me before I felt it.  I pressed my hand against my stomach again before she covered my private part up.  “Well, you are just about 5cm dilated.  Contractions are going-”

           I groaned before she could even finish her sentence.  The door opened as I fisted for the best sheets.  “Miyoung.” My mother’s voice filled the air along with Eunae’s.  “Time.” I croaked, keeping my eyes shut.  Eunae pried off my hands from the bed sheets, “hold mine.” She insisted, and I didn’t object.  “Time is 2:55.”  I heard the doctor say before another voice spoke hushed words to her.

           “Miyoung, you’re just going to have to take the pain.  Remember to keep track of your contractions and I’ll be back to check on you.  The pain will come sooner, last longer and become more painful as your begin to dilate more.  If you hurt too much, I’ll have someone give you some pain medication.” She said before leaving the room to go assist someone else.  My mother dabbed a wet cloth along my forehead.  “Take deep breaths, Miyoung.”  She soothed me.  “You’ll do fine.”


           “I’m so sorry…so sorry…” I moaned while crippling Eunae’s hand.  I heard the door open and Soojung’s footsteps coming towards the bed.  “Mrs. Park, it’s your turn to rest.” She said and my mother quickly changed with Soojung’s hand.  Here they are taking breaks, and I’m in pain lying on the bed. 

           Just as fast as they swapped, I quickly forced my hands around Soojung’s, squeezing hard.  I could hear Soojung’s faint whines as Eunae spoke for both of them, “don’t let go, Miyoung. Just keep squeezing.” She told me.  I wasn’t even planning on letting go.  “Keep talking to me.” I managed to whisper in between breaths.

           Soojung cleared , “the guys went to eat then they’re going to go pick up a package.” I opened my eyes and looked at her.  She was looking at Eunae, giving her a weird look.  I glanced between the two before shrugging it off.  I had other things to worry about.

           “When?” Eunae asked.  I didn’t care that they weren’t including me in on this conversation.  As long as they were talking, I was fine.  I dealt with the pain while managing to catch onto a few of the words that left the mouth.  “They just left.”  Soojung answered.

           “When does his flight—ah! SOOJUNG!” Eunae’s voice echoed through the room.

           I felt a sudden big wave from my abdomen flush down then the real agonizing displeasure came.  “, , , , . Some call the doctor.” I moaned, leaning forward from my bed and tightening every muscle in my body.  “Wh-what!?” They both shouted at me.  Oh God.

           “CALL THE DOCTOR!” I shouted back.  They both panic, shouting at each other to see who would go.  What the .

           I could feel tightening, movement and painful stretching below.  I let go of Eunae’s hand and grabbed the remote on the bed before pressing the red button.  Within seconds, a nurse rushed in.  “I- I think, I think it’s time.” Soojung stuttered. 

           Before I knew it, my mother was in the room along with my doctor and some nurses.  “There can only be 2 guests in the room while the mother gives birth.” A nurse informed and Soojung quickly let go, “I’ll leave.” She muttered something else to Eunae before leaving.

           The doctor checked my dilation.  “I want to push.” I groaned as the pain came, and unconsciously, I did.  “That’s good, Miyoung.  You’re fully dilated, so just keep pushing.”  The doctor told me calmly.  My breathing was starting to become messy, uncontrolled.  Everything swarmed in my mind; my thoughts were scattered at the moment.

           All the exercise I learned at the prenatal classes went right over my head at this moment.  I needed someone to hold my hand and coach me through it.  I needed to focus, but I wasn’t.

           “…Miyoung, Miyoung…can you head me?  You need to listen to me.” I heard.  “Just listen to my voice.” My doctor’s voice.  “Take a deep breath, Miyoung.  Can you do that for me?” she asked and I obeyed.  “Just listen to my voice.”

           I zoned the background noise out.  The chatter, beeping of equipment, carts rolling around the room preparing for my baby’s arrival.

           I calmed down, taking a deep breath and waited for the next stinging contraction which came quickly after. 

           “Okay, you’re doing great, Miyoung.  Close your eyes.  Just listen to my voice and push when you feel that contraction coming.  Every time you feel pain, push.”


           “Time is 10:38.”

           So many voices were coaching me.  Everything hurt.  My back ached; my cervix was in stinging pain.  Why aren’t you coming out? I cried to myself.  Please, baby, come out.  Mommy’s worn out.

           “You can see she’s in a lot of pain.” I heard my mother say.  “Maybe we should give her an epidural?   The contraction’s been coming for almost 9 hours now, but the baby isn’t…something’s wrong, right?”

           Eunae was softly massaging my stomach as we wait for the next painful wave to arrive.  I could feel the doctor’s hand touching below, checking and checking again.  “For first mothers, average labor is 6 to12 hours. 9 hours is right in the middle. Mrs. Park, I assure you, there is nothing wrong.  The baby just doesn’t want to come out yet, for some reason.  He might be too comfortable in her stomach.”

           I feel my muscles pulling together again and I grab onto the nearest hand, preparing myself for the pain.  They continue to talk through my contractions.  I only groan as I try to catch onto words that are spilling out from their mouth.

           “As for the epidural, that’s only if the mother wants it.  Since the baby isn’t crowning yet, it’s still not too late, but the epidural might slow down the contractions, and we might be here for a while.”

           In a longer labor time with no pain or short labor with lots of pain…?

           9 hours of pushing.  My whole body is sore, and my back is aching.  I’m on the verge of giving up because this is all too tiring.

           I’m worn out, resting, controlling my breathing as I take a quick rest before the next contraction.  I hear a swarm of voices, giving commands.  My feel my mother leaving my side.  Eunae gives my hand a small squeeze.  Is there something wrong? 

           I hear the doctor’s hushed voice.  I can’t hear her…is she talking to me?

           “…Miyoung?”  I say nothing but groan in reply.  “Let go of my hand really quick, we’re changing hands, okay?” Eunae pleaded and I reluctantly did as she said.  I let it go and felt something another slip into mine.

           “Okay, dad, just tell her to focus on your voice, and push.  You need to keep her breathing under control.”

           What?

           The discomforting pain came again and I gripped the person’s hands hard, feeling the slight flinch.

           “Miyoung…Listen to me. Just keep pushing.  I can’t wait to hold my baby boy— our baby boy...you’re doing a great job.”


hy-per-vent-il-lay-ting because i don't know what to say and my mind's gone completely blank. (not really). But seriously, I love you guys soooo so much!!! *MUAH, in my a/n in the previous chappie, I said that the story wasn't all that, but then this happens, and waahht, YOU GUYS ARE TOtALLY DAEEEEBAK! I came back from church and 3 fb comments from the besties say that I was featured. GAHHH, I really can't explain how I feel right now. I just totally gained like 500+ subbers, lol, I think it's funny. But hey newbies, I hope y'all are enjoying the story! ...It's coming to an end, lol. && I totallllly have a lot of other things to say, but really, there are other more important things like........

WHAT THE HELL!??? IS SEHUN BACK! Lmao. I know you guys missed him, so of course, I had to bring him back. :))

I'm looking forward to finishing this story, guise! Thanks soooo much for everything! 여러분 사랑해요!!!

Comment and Subscribe!?

--miyoung:))