-

Betrayal and Forgiveness

 

He was perfect. That was the only way to describe him. Even now, as she sat on the cold steel bench, her ankles and wrists chained, he was perfect. She stared at the space where the bars met the ground, thinking about how just a few hours ago they had been together. She had given him everything and been with him in ways that she had never been with anyone. She could never forget the way he touched her, how his ragged breath was against her ear, they way his deep raspy voice groaned her name, the way his lips-


HEY! You already got us in here, you think it's ing necessary to keep my sister in those?”


Daniel, shut up.”, she rolled her eyes.
 

HEY! We're ing talking to you!”
 

Simon, I said shut up! You two are only going to make things worse, so sit down, shut your mouths, and wait.”

 

They both softened when they looked at her, keeping a tight grip on the cell bars.

“Sit down.”, she repeated.

 

After another minute they gave up and sat down on either side of her, keeping silent. Her mind wandered again, thinking back to the last few weeks and how she should have seen how it was all too good to be true. Seven weeks, that was all it took for her to fall completely and utterly in love with him. It wasn't new to sneak around when a guy asked her out but, if Daniel found out he would intimidate them so much that they wouldn't stay around too long. But for him, she lied so much just to see him even if it was only for a few minutes. She had no cell phone, Daniel didn't want her getting distracted from school. So with limited communication, she would always use one of the pay phones outside of a convenience store all the way across town so that neither him or his friends would see her.

 

It seemed crazy didn't it? Not having any friends, not being able to have any fun all because her older brother was controlling. But she didn't see it that way. Daniel had his reasons, and so did she. He risked it all, every night, every drop he and his friends did, it was all put on the line each time. Daniel risked never seeing them again just for a couple stacks of cash. But that money kept them alive, it kept them in a decent place, it kept food on the table, it kept her and their younger brother in school. So when he said no friends, no boys, no distractions, and that all she needed to do was focus on graduating from university, she couldn't argue because he'd done so much...too much for them.

 

Do they hurt?”

 

She blinked, breaking away from her thoughts to see Simon, one of her brother's closest friends, looking at her cuffed wrists and ankles. His eyes watered at the thought of her being in there with them. Simon hated the thought of her being hurt, anything in the sense and he would snap. When he would hear Daniel yell at her for getting home late, staying up too late, not studying hard enough, he had to resist the urge to beat the out of him for making her cry. He would wait until Daniel would leave, always going out to buy her a pint of ice cream or a small stuffed animal and apologize an hour or two later, and would comfort her. Simon would listen to her talk about how she was trying her best and how Daniel didn't know how hard it was, so it was easy for him to just push and push for more.

 

When Daniel and the others had to do a job far away, he would always stay behind and keep an eye on her and their brother. From down the street he would park his car under the broken street light and stare at her bedroom window, making sure that they remembered to lock the doors, and that neither of them got hurt...mainly her. But of course, as it always goes, she never noticed him like that. She slowly looked away from his eyes, back to where she had been staring at before.


“No.”, she mumbled with a slight shake of her head.

 

Daniel shut his eyes, “Christine, I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry I got you into this, this is all my fault.”
 

No it isn't...it's mine. She clenched her jaw tightly, lifting up her chin a little. He had no idea about it, no one did and it was eating her alive. The reason they were all in here, the reason they had gotten caught was all because of her, or so she thought.

 

Don't say that.”, she gulped, the handcuffs rattling as she moved her hands to take his, “It's not.”
 

Tears trickled down his face as he met her eyes. “Stop being so forgiving.”, he pleaded, “Look at you! They have you cuffed up in here like you're a criminal!”
 

At that moment another one of his friends stood up and stomped towards the bars.


“HEY! You ty pigs!”, he called out, trying to get the attention of at least one officer. “Does she look like a mothering threat to you?! She shouldn't be cuffed and she shouldn't be in the same cell as us, she's an innocent bystander, get her the out of here now!”


Christine sighed again, shutting her eyes tightly. “Intae.”, she spoke softly, “Don't, I'm fine.”

 

Jisu and Donglim looked to her as well, and she could only apologize to them in her mind, hoping that when they find out the real reason they're in here, they might forgive her. Intae was about to take his seat when an officer approached the cell, drinking from his coffee cup as he gave Christine a long look before turning to face Intae.

 

Tell that to the two officers that had to get tetanus shots and the one with a fractured wrist.”

 

She hid her cocky smile but it quickly disappeared when she heard Intae growl under his breath. Before anyone could tell him to sit down he was already there, muttering more insults as the officer walked away. From there on they waited, sometimes getting up to walk around the small enclosed space and continuing to tell them to let her go, all the while she thought of him, Mr. Perfect. She stayed so still they thought she had fallen asleep, until they heard a small sob escape from her lips.

 

Are you okay?!”, Simon was at her side instantly.
 

She nodded, swallowing back another and faced Daniel. “I'm worried about Eric, he'll be home any minute and see the mess and he'll freak out-”
 

Shh, shh.”, he calmed her down, “He'll be fine, he knows what to do in this situation.”

 

Christine shook her head, tears threatening to fall from her eyes but not all of them for her brother. “But in this situation, I'm not supposed to be in here, I'm supposed to be with him and he can't go on by himself Daniel, he's only a kid!”
 

She faced the ground again, hearing the distinct chatter from the cops at their desks die down and she knew. A heavy echo of footsteps came down the hall but she kept her head down, waiting. She heard as the ring of keys was taken out, the lock turning and the cell door swinging open. She saw his boots pause at the entrance for a good second before taking the first few steps inside, other officers following. He walked towards the left side, slowly taking a quick glance at the three that were seated there. Christine held her breath as she saw them slowly advance to her side of the cell, the space in between her, Daniel, and Simon getting smaller. His shoes stopped right in front of her, but she still didn't look up.

 

Why is she the only one in cuffs?”

 

His voice, oh his voice. It would usually bring a smile to her face, even a blush but now, all she felt was pure hatred. She heard as the officer explained to him how she resisted arrest, injured multiple officers, and tried to get rid of evidence. She lifted her head up slightly, not enough to look at him but enough for him to see her face, hoping he would feel some guilt, maybe.

 

Hm.”, he placed both of his hands on his belt buckle, “I guess we'll take her into interrogation first.”
 

Hearing that all of the boys stood up in protest with the officers already pushing them back down.


“You aren't interrogating anyone! Especially not her!”, Daniel tried to move in the small space in front of her. Christine stayed sitting, not showing any kind of emotion to his actions.

 

I'll go.”, she said, standing up.

Simon put his hands on her shoulder, but the officer pushed him against the wall.

 

Christine, don't. You don't know anything.”, Jisu pleaded.


She let out a breath and faced his chest, reading the name tag on the pocket of his uniform. Bang Yongguk, Mr. Perfect.

Christine turned to the officer next to him, “I need to make a phone call first, please.”

 

Hey, hey, hey.”, Yongguk grabbed her face with his hand, making her finally look at him. “I'm the one in charge here-”


Simon was the first to break away, but was tackled before he could reach Yongguk. Christine glared at Yongguk, seeing his eyes flinch at the anger she emitted towards him. Without a second thought she spat on him, hitting mostly his uniform and a little hitting his face. The boys stopped resisting when they saw her do that, waiting for what Yongguk would do next. He clenched his jaw, pulling out a handkerchief from his pocket to wipe his cheek and navy blue uniform.

 

Take her to the phones.”, he said, meeting her angry eyes once again, “Then to interrogation room three.” He gave her another glance and walked out.
 

Christine looked to Daniel and the officer released him from his hold so they could talk.
 

What are you doing?”, he hissed lowly.


“Like Jisu said, I don't now anything.”, she said loud enough for the few officers to hear, “So they're just wasting their time...I'm going to try to get in touch with Eric and-”

One of the officers took her arm, leading her out of the cell while the boys followed as she was pulled out and the cell door slammed shut.

“I'm going to figure something out, I promise.”

 

She let out a shaky breath as she dialed their neighbors number. Someone had to have seen what happened, one of them should be nice enough to let Eric know why they weren't home. When one didn't answer she would look at the officer with pleading watery eyes to let her continue calling, and he gave in each time. She was about to give up when one of them finally answered, the elderly woman that lived by herself, Ms. Yoon.

 

Ms. Yoon?”, Christine asked timidly.

“Yes dear, I have your brother here with me.”, she said.

She heard shuffling as the phone was handed over. “Christine? Noona, where are you?”

Relief washed over her when she heard her brother's voice, he was worried but at least he was safe.

“That's not important Eric, what's important is that you're okay. But, you gotta listen to me okay because I don't have much time-”

“Is hyung...are you both...?”, his voice cracked, already knowing where they were and why.

 

It's okay, Eric. Don't worry okay about us, everything will be fine you understand? But listen baby you have to listen alright?” She put the phone closer to and turned her back to the officer so he wouldn't hear her as clearly.

 

Out in the yard, under the tree
Just above the stars, you will see
A solution to your problems, a brand new start

We're with you in spirit, never apart
Your birthday is the key
This is the rainy day we hoped would never be.”

 

On the other end Eric brushed away his tears, not understanding the riddle his sister gave him.

“W...What? Repeat it!”, he motioned for Ms. Yoon to give him a pen.

She shuffled around, grabbing a pen and tore off a piece of a nearby envelope to hand to him. Christine inhaled sharply and began again. As she reached the second verse she felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned to face the officer.

“Time's up.”

 

Christine held up a finger, telling him to wait just a little longer and tried to finish the riddle but another officer got impatient from waiting so long and didn't want to get scolded by Yongguk. Before she could finish it he tugged on her shoulder and pulled her away from the phone, letting it swing from the cord. She struggled a bit against him, hearing Eric's distressed voice on the other line. He handed her over to the nicer cop while he reached down to hang up the phone.

“We said, time's up.”, he repeated.

 

She slowly walked in between them towards the interrogation room, both of them holding one of her elbows so she could keep up. They opened the door and with a light push left her inside. It was a cold, poorly lit room with a single steel rusted table in the center with two chairs of the same condition on either side of it. Three of the walls were a dirty, almost light gray and the other was a shiny two way mirror. She made her way to a chair, picking the one that let her face the glass, knowing well that he was in there watching her every move. To prove she wasn't scared she sat straight up, put her hands on the table and stared directly at the glass.

 

From the other side Yongguk swallowed the lump in his throat. She was looking directly at him, she didn't know she was but it was hell for him. This wasn't how it was supposed to happen. The two officers that escorted her stepped into the room, the nicer one nodding towards Yongguk and the other higher rank officers there. Yongguk turned back to look at her, his heart aching to go in there and break those chains off of her and hold her until she would forgive him. She's never going to believe me.
 

Sir?”, they gave him an uneasy glance.

“I won't be needing any assistance so, if you will-”, Yongguk motioned towards the door, telling them all to leave.

Sir, she's a tough one. Are you positive that you-”

“I think I can handle her.” His heart picked up speed, recalling how he had 'handled' her hours ago.

 

They complied with him, leaving the room until he was the only one left. Yongguk removed his belt, leaving behind all of the assigned weapons on the table. He took off his badge and name tag, loosening the tie around his neck and running his hand through his hair to rid it of it's slick back appearance. Christine hadn't moved an inch, not even when she heard the door slowly creak open. Once it was shut she lowered her head, keeping her eyes on her hands. She heard him take two timid steps towards her, hesitating to see her under these circumstances.

 

Chris, I'm so sorry.”, he uttered.

 

She didn't react, she didn't look at him all she did was breath. He took the last few steps towards her, taking out the key from his pocket and gently took her wrists, unlocking the handcuffs. Christine still didn't say anything and watched as he turned her chair, the skidding of it against the floor causing a cringe-worthy noise. He kneeled in front of her, carefully pulling her ankles towards him and released her from those bonds as well. As he looked up at her, she diverted her eyes to the steel table top next to her. Yongguk sighed, grabbing a hold of her hand and tried to intertwine their fingers but she jerked away from him.

 

Christine, let me explain!”, he begged, still on his knees. The whole silent treatment was getting to him, he needed for her to know the truth. Fine, you don't have to talk but please just listen to me. I didn't know that it was going to be tonight, I thought I had more time-”


“Did you know who I was from the start?”, she interrupted him, startling him. “Is that why you insisted on getting to know me, just so that you could get my brother and his friends-”

“NO!”, Yongguk stood up, “I mean...I knew who you were I just didn't know it was you at the time. I-I never had a face to put to your name and when I saw you...I had to know it, I had to know you.”


He moved closer, dragging the other chair over so he could sit directly in front of her.


“When you told me your name I...I knew it was wrong but, being with you made me not care. And I never used you Chris, you never told me anything about Daniel or any of them. Everything I found out about them I found out on my own because I just couldn't do that to you-”

“And now look where I am. In an interrogation room, my brother and his four friends in a holding cell, my little brother confused and alone. Yeah seems way better.”, she scoffed.

 

Yongguk clenched his jaw, slamming his fists against the table and shoving it halfway across the room. Christine jumped in surprise from his sudden outburst and he regretted his actions when he noticed her paled expression. He cursed under his breath and sat back down, rubbing his forehead with both of his hands.

 

I didn't know that they were going to go through with it, I told them that I needed more time to gather more evidence and...I was going to tell you, I was and I was going to stall some more until you would be able to get away. Or for at least Daniel and the others to...and maybe you would stay if you forgave me.”

 

Christine glanced at him from the corner of her eye, she couldn't give in so easily, she just couldn't. He moved away from the chair, kneeling again in front of her and this time she let him hold her hands. Yongguk put his face close to hers but she wouldn't let him, shaking her head no whenever he came closer.

“Please Christine.”, he whimpered.

Their tears mixed together as he leaned his forehead on hers and she weakly tried to push him away but he wouldn't budge. It was no use and she gave up when he brought her face up a little, her eyes meeting his. Christine couldn't look away, the mix of guilt and sorrow in his eyes let her know that he really was sorry.

“I need you to believe me, this wasn't how it was supposed to go down Chris...You gotta believe me. Earlier tonight, that was all true.” Her breathing hitched when his hand wandered down to her thigh, “I love you.”

He didn't wait for her to respond and pressed his lips against hers. Christine inhaled sharply, resisting the urge to kiss him back but the way his soft, full lips felt she just couldn't. She let go of all her inhibitions and wrapped her arms around his neck as she kissed him firmly, bringing her body closer to his. Yongguk tangled one hand in her hair, the other lightly gripping her hip to keep her from backing away if she tried to. Christine felt her tears continue to fall and pulled apart from his just a little but he wouldn't let her and went against his strength to push him back on his heels. Yongguk rolled back to where he was kneeling and they both breathed heavily with their faces only a few centimeters apart. They stayed like that, looking into the others eyes until their breath was almost silent. Christine was the first to look away.

“I want to back with Daniel.”, she whispered.

 

Yongguk held her hands close to his chest, swallowing the lump in his throat. “I...I can't take you back there.”

Her eyes snapped back to look at them, giving him that same glare she had earlier. “Why not?”

“After interrogation you have to go to another cell...You won't be able to see them.”

 

She took her hands away from him and pushed the chair back as she stood up. “Fine.”, she said blankly and held out her fists, waiting for him to cuff her again.

Yongguk sighed and stood up, holding her wrists and traced up the very faint lines where she had the cuffs pressed up against her skin, and shook his head slightly. “Just come with me.”

 

Christine walked in front of him, his hand holding onto her elbow as they walked down the halls. She wondered if he would get into trouble for not putting the handcuffs on her again but she didn't care if he did. He let go of her as he took out his keys and unlocked another cell, his eyes stayed on her as he opened the door. She stepped inside and turned to watch him as he shut it, hesitating a moment before turning the key back to lock it. Christine saw his mouth open and walked away, sitting down on the only unoccupied bed that was there. She heard him sigh and then his footsteps as he retreated from the cell. She pulled her knees up to her chest, letting the last few tears escape from her eyes.