Alone in a Street Full of People

What Happens in SM, Stays in SM [though EXO thinks otherwise]

 

 

Alone In A Street Full of People

 

 

 

 

 

“Yah I’m currently in a taxi as we speak.”

 

Amber then face desked herself, “Gosh, the hell did you do?!

Ugh. You stubborn dwaeji, okay just tell the driver to drop you off at the- okay just give him the phone.”

Amber instructed the driver to bring Lena to the new SM Entertainment building in Apgujeong but Lena didn’t get to hear any of it. The cab driver then handed her the phone.

 

Hello?”

 

I am so gonna tackle you when you get here. What if you get lost?” Lena was surprised about how motherly Amber’s tone was.

 

“Really though? I bet you’ve just told the driver exactly where to drop me off. What are you worried about? And I’ve searched directions in case I go on foot.”

 

“I don’t have much else to do.  Call me when you get off the taxi, okay?”

 

“Sure. How long is this drive anyway?”

 

“About an hour. Without traffic.”

 

“Can I sleep? I’ve been awake since one in the morning.”

 

“Go. Just pay the driver what he asks. I told him we’d report him if he charges more.”

 

“Thanks unnie! I miss you!”

 

“Hahah! Miss you too, mallang! See you soon. Take care, okay? And please don’t lose your phone this time. It’s kind of important to you today.”

 

“Okay, mommy. See ya.”

~

 

She hung up and locked her cell phone. Lena made sure to put it in her bag this time afraid of losing it.

Lena sat back and let loose on the comfort of the soft seat. Staring out the window, she adored everything she sees on the other side of the road. Little children happily hopping down the school bus and filing up in one line along the side walk. Yummy street food that’s calling out her name, kinda makes her tummy rumble out some sort of dubstep music. And at a stoplight, she got a chance to read a sign written in hangul saying ‘Seoul’.

 

After that, she closed her eyes and let herself drown in dreams.

~-~-~-~-

 

 

 

Amber was currently in an all-important meeting along with her other members. Five of them were casually sitting on very soft desk chairs along a U-shaped table and in front of them, their manager.

 

They were discussing some unresolved matters about their comeback. Their manager was going on and on about their moves having to be polished and perfect. He was saying how f(x) should appear as goddesses on shows and in everything else. He was also trying to persuade Amber to try out a more feminine style for this new album which made her so pissed off she decided not to listen at all.

 

Amber leaned back to her chair waiting for Lena’s next call. Instead of listening, she made mental notes on what she and Lena would do for the next four days. She wanted to show every cool thing there is and she wanted for Lena’s stay to be unforgettable. She would take Lena to every schedule she has so Lena would get to see what they do as idols. Amber knows how big of a fan Lena is. She only want to see Lena happy, since Lena is the only friend who broke the norms of friendship. Come to think of it, they only met face-to-face once and they’ve only been friends for four months, but she felt like she’d known Lena forever.

 

She was full of excitement for Lena to arrive and thought that Lena’s taxi trip to SM’s new building was running alright.

 

Never have Amber been so wrong when she turned her phone to silent mode and snuck it in the table’s drawer.

~-~-~-

 

 

 

A loud beep of a car woke her up from her fantasy. With her eyes still puffy and her still half asleep, Lena tried to read a sign far off to her right: RODEO Station

Oh, I’m nearly there.

 

Lena didn’t come all the way here unprepared. A day before her flight, she searched for apartments, must-see places, museums nearby, and of course directions. She remembers how the article clearly says ‘if you take the subway, get off at Apgujeong Station and exit at Galleria,’ though she preferred taking a taxi all the way since it’s less transfers and less chances of getting lost.

 

Her mistake.

 

 

The driver pulled off in front of a huge building. Given that she was still recovering from her slumber, she immediately thought that the building probably is the new SM Ent. Building. She got off the taxi and paid what the driver asked for.

 

Lena tried to read the name of the place but the sunlight did not permit her to do so. She then pulled out those hipster sunglasses her mom bought for her birthday and slid them on her face. Looking up the building, her heart sank at the sight of a sign saying ‘Galleria’ instead of SM Entertainment’s logo.

 

She was lost. Officially.

 

She called Amber as fast as she could but after numerous tries Amber never answered.

 

She texted her several messages including three death threats in the hope that those will get her to pick up her phone.

 

09:13am

Amber, seriously, answer the damn phone.

Dude what the heck where are you???

 

 

09:17am

I’m lost.

LOST. Amber, and you don’t give a .

 

 

 

09:19am

T_T I’m gonna kill you when I actually survive this.

 

 

 

09:20am

AMBERRRRRR you’re so dead.

 

 

 

09:25am

Unnie, I’m seriously crying in front of a lot of ppl and no one understands me.

 

 

 

09:26am

Where are you? Answer me please

 

 

 

09:26am

Unnie T_T

 

09:26am

Rly where r you?

 

 

 

09:30am

I’m in front of this building with a Galleria sign on it. I don’t know where to go pls answer your phone :’(

 

 

 

 

 

09:35am

I rly hope u get electric shock after this.

 

 

Walking back and forth she waited for even a single reply from Amber. Butmuch to her disappointment, nothing came.

 

Well after thirty minutes she gives up and puts her phone in her pocket. She saw a bench and dragged herself to it.

 

The world hates me. I’m lost. Lost. I’m eternally lost. She said to herself as she calms herself down on the bench. Clearly, calming herself isn’t helping her at all as tears continue to trickle down her cheeks more and more. Thankfully she was wearing sunglasses and she thinks it helped make everything less embarrassing.

 

She was alone. Amber still wasn’t calling her. No one understands her and gave her directions.

 

Lena was falling deeper into regret until her phone rang.

 ♫♪♫il deohagi ireun, gwiyomi~ I deohagi inneun, gwiyomi~ ssam deohagi ssameun, gwi-

 

~

“WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?” Lena shouted with an even mixture of anger, relief, and fear.

 

 

Amber didn’t bother to answer Lena’s question as she was beyond worried for her,

“Where are you?! Are you okay? Did something happen? Did he do anything to you?”

 

 

“WHY WEREN’T YOU ANSWERING MY INFINITE CALLS?! I’m lost,”      She began to cry at her words, she felt so vulnerable. One of the things Lena hates in this world is being lost. She fears the thought of no one would ever find her again even though she was surrounded by hundreds of people. 

 

“, unnie I’m lost. Help me.”

 

 

Amber felt the fear in Lena’s words. Though Lena wasn’t all girly and same as she is, Amber knows Lena has her own fears and times when she felt so afraid of everything. She wanted to run off to Lena and tell her everything’s fine, but she doesn’t know where Lena was. She promised Lena’s mom she would be okay as long as she’s with her, but as of now, she haven’t even hugged Lena once and now she’s already in trouble.

 

“Listen Lena. Tell me what buildings can you see around you?”

 

“I told you, I’m in front of this Galleria thing. It looks like a mall.” Lena tried to speak amidst her sobbing. She felt like a cry baby but that, she’s lost and to be honest, she’s afraid.

 

“Good. You’re near, Lena. Everything’s gonna be okay. Just walk straight to that Leo sign. Can you see it?” She stopped crying and looked for the sign Amber mentioned.

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Walk straight to that direction then call me when you get to a Starbucks’ shop, okay?

 

“Okay,” Lena instantly felt better after hearing Amber’s words. Being an only child and always having to be alone at home, Lena learned how to be more independent than the other kids her age. Though it’s Amber who always thinks and cares of her, even though they’ve only seen each other once before, Amber makes her feel like she had an older sister. She’s the one who looks out for her and makes sure she’s doing the right thing. Amber never misses a day without texting her, same does Lena. And on days when Amber doesn’t have any schedules to go to, they go skyping and talk about random things that has happened.

 

“Be careful, just do what I told you and don’t entertain anyone else. Call me.”

 

“Thanks unnie, see you there.”

 

“Just walk straight. Figured you won’t get lost with that, wouldn’t you?” Amber mocked.

 

“Yeah yeah I’m walking right now.” Lena laughed and began to regain her bright smile.

 

“There you go. Later, kay?”

 

“Yeah, bye.”

~

 

After some time walking and admiring the streets of Apgujeong and casually freaking out on the whereabouts of her phone only to remember that she put it back in her bag, Lena finally reached that Starbucks’ Amber told her about. She was about to call Amber again but then her stomach uttered some words the urban dictionary can’t even define. She remembered that she haven’t eaten anything since five o’clock this morning and that honey-glazed doughnut inside the store is kinda calling out her name. Instead of calling Amber, she just texted her that she’d just be quick and buy herself a coffee and that doughnut.

 

 

 

 

The doughnut was history and Lena was now outside the shop holding her coffee on her right and her phone on the left.

~

“Hello? Unnie~”

 

“Hey, you finished?”

 

“Yeah, I really enjoyed that doughnut though.”

 

“I know. Well, just keep walking straight and if you see one of the banners probably with Siwon oppa’s face then that means you’re there.”

 

Lena quickly put on her headset on and stuck the other end on her phone. She kept it on her pocket and hurriedly picked up her second bag with her left hand.

 

“Yep, I’m walking. One question though,”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Why are there people following me and asking me to sign on their notebooks?”

 

“What?”

 

“Ohmygosh, I’m being followed,” Right then, Amber started to hear quite a loud fuss on the other side of the line.

 

“Lena, what’s happening?”

 

 

 

"..."

 

 

"Lena!"

 

 

 

 

“Unnie, I’m being mobbed,”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻