Leaving Korea

Looking From A Distance

KRYSTAL's POV

 

Amber hug me tight and I cried on his chest. How could he keep it to me? If Unnie didn't left this papers on our center table, I woulndnt have known about all of this. After I had calm down, Amber get a glass of water for me in their kitchen. I sat down on their couch and then he came back with a glass of water on his hand. He give it to me and sat down beside me.

 

"Why is it that you keep it from me?"I asked him.

 

"I don't want you to get sad and hurt." he replied to me, not meeting my eyes.

 

"But you already did that when you distance yourself from me."I answered him and it made him look sad. "You must take that surgery." I continued which finally made him looked at me.

 

"I don't have any more chance to live, Krys. Let's all accept that fact."he told me which somehow made me feel angry.

 

"Are you really that coward?"I asked him, slightly raising my voice. "Please, take the risk and go for the surgery."I pleaded to him.

 

"I don't want my Mom to waste her money for something who has an unsure outcome. I don't want her to have a difficult life. Not when I'm gone and she's alone." he replied to me with a stern voice.

 

"Isn't it obvious that Auntie wants you to live? Don't give up yet, Amber. Take that 20% chance." I told him and it made him furrowed his brows. "Please, for all of us?"I pleaded to him as I hold his hand and look deeply into his eyes.

 

"I already had accepted it Krys. Please, do me a favor and accept it too. I can't stay long in this world. My candle of life is almost out."he told me. "I want you to accept it."he continued as he carress my cheek and flashed a sad smile.

 

I bit my lower lip and then got up from my seat. I can't accept it. I don't want to accept it. I won't stop changing his mind about the surgery.

 

AMBER's POV

 

Krystal is different, she is really a stubborn girl. She is the type of person that wants others to follow what she said. She keeps on convincing me to take the treatment. I decided to pretend to get mad at her because I think it is the only way to make her stop. I utter some hurtful words to her which I regretted deep inside. I put on a cold expression, and I know it hurts her so much.

 

"Fine, if this is what you want, then... DIE!"she screamed and then walk out of our house. Slamming our front door shut.

 

I let out a deep sigh. We just made up earlier and now we fought again.I hear the car engine started and then slowly fade. I knew that she already left. I lie down on our couch, thinking about what Krystal had told me. I didn't realized that I fell asleep. I woke up when I heard the sound of our doorbell. I am still groggy when I head to our front door to open it. A wide smile was drawn to my face when I saw my Mom standing behind it. I quickly hug her and she embrace me.

 

"Who are they, Mom?" I asked her when I notice three man outside and wearing a suit.

 

"They are your father's friends." she replied to me.

 

"Dad's friends?" I asked her with furrowed brows and gazed at those men again. They do look familiar to me..

 

"I bet you haven't eaten any breakfast yet, am I right? Hmmm, I will make you one. Go and take a shower first." she told me which made me transfer my attention to her.

 

I took a quick shower and then fixed myself. When I got downstairs, Mom already prepared a breakfast for me. I peek on the window and those men are still there. Standing beside the black car and it made me wonder why Mom haven't invited them inside.

 

"Mom, why you didn't invited them inside?"I asked her as I sat down on the chair in our dining room.

 

"They are going to leave soon."she said as she put a plate of pancakes on the table.

 

Mom sat down on the chair across mine. She didn't touch her food and just keep watching me while I'm eating my food. To be honest, she is really making me uncomfortable.

 

"Mom, what's up with you? You're acting weird." I told her and scoffed.

 

"I just want to stare at my handsome son while he is eating."she told me with her lovely smile.

 

"It's creepy."I commented and it made her giggle. "Eat your food, Mom." I told her and she just smiled on me.

 

"Honey, I want to tell you something." She told me.

 

"Yeah?" I replied and took a bite on my pancake.

 

"We will go to America today. You will have your surgery treatment there." she said which made me furrowed my brows and drop my fork.

 

"Mom, I thought we already had discussed about this?"I said to her with an annoyed tone of voice.

 

"Your Dad's Mom, she told me that she will pay the expenses."she answered.

 

"Why would she will help us? She disowned Dad and didn't consider us as a part of their family." I told her.

 

"You are her grandson, she might hate me and your Dad but she did not hate you. In fact, she wants to meet you."she said to me sounding happy.

 

Mom explained to me everything and what she did in America. Like Krystal, she convinced me to take the surgical treatment. Our conversation was stopped when we heard a knock on our door. Mom got up from her seat and opened it. I furrowed my brows when those three men came into the dining room.

 

"Sir, we have to go now."One of them told me. "Madam got tired of waiting for you."he told me. What the hell is he talking about?

 

"Honey, let's go."Mom told me and pulled my hand to get up. I haven't finished my food yet.

 

We walked outside and one of the men opened the car door for us. I don't know where are they going to take us and who is that 'Madam'. Unexpectedly, the brouhgt us at the airport and there's a private plane waiting for us. I step outside the car and Mom too. I furrowed my brows when Mom stayed behind and did not follow us in boarding the plane. I tried to go to her but those guys blocked me. The stopped me from going to her. I saw my Mom cried and then I realized that she is not coming with me.

 

"Let me go!" I said as I struggled. " Mom! Mom!" I called her.

 

"Sir, we have to go inside now." One of them told me. 

 

"If he don't want to go with us, leave him." an old woman's voice was heard and it made me turn to her.

 

She is standing at the door of the plain, looking at me with expressionless and cold eyes. They let us go and I quickly go to my Mom. I think that old woman is my grandma.

 

"Go back there, Amber!"Mom told me.

 

"And why would I do that?" I answered her.

 

"It because I can't accept you anymore. I don't want to have a dying son."she told me with cold voice and it made me furrowed my brows.

 

"What are yout talking about, Mom?" I asked her as I tried to touch her but she swatted my hand.

 

"I can't welcome you in my house anymore. You are a burden to me. I don't have time to take good care of a sick person like you. Go and be with your grandma so I can live my life without worrying something."she stated and it really hurts me.

 

"But I don't want to leave, Mom. I want to be with you. I promise I will take good care of myself, just don't send me away." I pleaded to her and my tears starts to form in my eyes.

 

"I can't afford your medicines, your screams at night when your head hurts give me a sleepless night, and burial will cost a lot."she replied. "Go and leave!"she said as she pushed me away.

 

I looked at her and I notice that she's suprressing her tears. I know why she is doing this to me.

 

"I understand, Mom."I told her as I force a smile. " I'm sorry if I was a burden to you. Please, live your life like how you used to without me. Take good care always and don't worry about something too much. It's fine with me if you will remarry. I vote for Mr. Ham, he is a good man. I know he will take good care of you."I said to her and turn my back at her.

 

I can hear her sobbing as I walk away from her. My tears are rolling down on my cheeks and my chest felt heavy. I wanted to stop crying but I can't seem to make it. I board on the plane and from the window, I look at my Mom for the last time. The plane took off and I left Korea, without saying my goodbyes to my friends, to Krystal.