7th Year

YongSeo Story 3
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

April 11. D-Day for Yonghwa’s completion of his 5-week training. Seohyun woke up almost 7 in the morning in a lighter mood. The past weeks had been hard for her waking up without any call or message from Yonghwa. She’s been used to seeing a morning message from Yonghwa since the day they became an item. She diligently cooked her breakfast, ate and cleaned.

 

While she was preparing her special gift for Yonghwa, she got a call from Yonghwa’s father.

 

“Hello, Father.” Seohyun politely answered.

“Yes Seohyun-sshi. Good morning. This is Yonghwa’s father.”

“Good morning Apuji.”

“Please be ready around 10:30. We’ll pick you up there in your house.”

“Oh, de Apuji. Thank you so much.”

“Kenchana. You should be there. My son needs you.”

“Thank you so much Apuji. Yah. I really just can’t wait to see him.”

“Likewise Seohyun-sshi. I miss my son too.”

“We’ll see him in a while Apuji.”

“De. And I’ll see you 10:30 later huh?”

“Yes Apuji. I’ll wait for you.”

“Okay. I’ll hang up then.”

“De Apuji. Goodbye.”

“Bye.”

 

Yonghwa’s father hanged up. Seohyun continued preparing her gift for Yonghwa. Items in the military are limited and so she thought of giving Yonghwa something he would be able to keep during his military service.

 

After which, Seohyun got herself ready for her attendance to Yonghwa’s program. She freshen herself, wore her most casual long trench coat underneath a basic plain white top and denim jeans. She prepared her cap, mask and scarf just in case she would need to cover herself.

 

 

Exactly 10:35 when Yonghwa’s parents arrived outside Seohyun’s house. Seohyun, upon receiving a text from Yonghwa’s father, quickly stepped out of her house.

 

As she reached outside, she saw Yonghwa’s parents outside the car, waiting for her.

 

“Oh! Annyeonghasseyo Apuji, Omoni!” Seohyun was rushing towards them.

“Oh! Seohyun-sshi!” Yonghwa’s mother extended her both arms, waiting Seohyun for a hug.

“Oh, Omoni!” As Seohyun reached Yonghwa’s mother, they hugged.

 

“I missed you, my daughter!”

“I missed you too Omoni!”

 

They broke the hug and smiled at each other. Seohyun then turned to Yonghwa’s father and gave him a quick hug.

 

“I missed you Apuji.”

“You’re looking good Seohyuna.” Yonghwa’s father patted Seohyun’s back and broke the hug.

 

“Thank you, Apuji.” Seohyun smiled as she held Yonghwa’s mother’s hand.

“You’re so beautiful Seohyun-sshi.” Yonghwa’s mother complimented Seohyun.

“Oh, Omoni. Andweyo. You’re dashing.”

“Hahaha. Thank you.”

 

“Yah, let’s go?” Yonghwa’s father said.

“De! Let’s go!” Yonghwa’s mother excitedly said.

 

“Seohyuna, go and sit beside me. Your mother will sit on the backseat.” Yonghwa’s father said.

“Oh? Apuji?”

“De. Go and sit on the front. He wants to be with you.” Yonghwa’s mother smiled.

“Alright then Omoni.” Seohyun said and opened the door of the car for Yonghwa’s mother.

“Gomawo.” Yonghwa’s mother smiled and entered the car.

 

Seohyun then stepped in the front seat and settled herself. She wore her seatbelt and put down her stuff.

 

 

It’s almost a two-hour drive from Seoul to Hwacheon. Yonghwa’s parents and Seohyun couldn’t help but just be excited to see again Yonghwa after five weeks.

 

While inside the car,

 

“Seohyuna, your mother and I are very very proud of you. You’ve been all over the news the past weeks and I must say, you really did a great job representing our country at Pyongyang.” Yonghwa’s father said while driving.

“I cried watching you sing and talking to the citizen of North Korea.” Yonghwa’s mother added.

“Oh, I’m just really happy I was able to finish that week well.”

“Really, we’re proud of you.” Yonghwa’s father replied.

“Thank you so much Apuji. Omoni. I’m really thankful to everyone for the support. Especially, you, Omoni, Apuji. You, my parents, friends and Yongie has been my source of inspiration.”

“Yongie must be so proud of you too.”

“I called him before I left for Pyongyang.”

“Oh, it was early when you left right?”

“I talked to the Officer-in-charge and asked for Yongie.”

“Ohhh, good thing they allowed Yonghwa that early to receive calls.”

“I had to tell the Officer the call is urgent and that I will fly to Pyongyang.”

“Omo. So you introduced yourself?”

“Of course Omoni, I had to. Good thing the Officer understands and allowed us to talk. Honestly Omoni, Apuji, I got scared for a moment. It was my first time in the North. Our phones were confiscated and we got no communications in the South. I really wanted to talk to him that time to say that I will leave. That was the second time I called him.”

“So what did he say?”

 

*flashback*

 

March 31. Early in the morning when Seohyun dialed Yonghwa’s camp for an emergency call. The hotline was answered by an officer assigned at the telecommunications.

 

“Hello. This is Hwacheon, Gangwon Camp. How may I help you.”

“Hello. This is Seo Joohyun. I was wondering if I can speak to Jung Yonghwa at this time? I really really need to talk to him Sir.”

“Didn’t you know that telephone calls are not allowed at this period, Miss Seo Joohyun?”

“I know Sir, but ahmm. I just want to talk to him before I depart for North Korea this morning.”

“Oh? North Korea? You mean, you’re Girls’ Generation’s Seohyun?”

“Yes Sir. Hmmm. We’re departing this morning. I was just asking if I can have a word from him before I leave.”

“Ahhh. I don’t know if he’s already up but ahmm. You know they’re not allowed to take calls during this time.”

“If I can’t really talk to him, I guess I’ll just call some other time Sir.”

“Aigoo. If only he’s not doing well here, I really won’t let you talk to him. Please stay on the line. I’ll call him on his barracks.”

“Thank you so much Sir.”

 

The Officer-on-duty called Yonghwa on his barracks. Quietly, he walked to the barracks and saw Yonghwa, already awake, writing something on his journal.

 

“Jung Yonghwa.”

“Oh, Sir?” Yonghwa was stopped by the sudden arrival of the Officer.

 

The Officer called Yonghwa over quietly. Yonghwa immediately followed and they talked outside the barracks.

 

“Yes Sir? Is there something I can do for you?” Yonghwa politely asked.

“You have a call. It’s urgent.”

“Huh? Are you sure Sir I’m okay to take the call?”

“Kenchana. It’s on me. Go. Talk to her. It must be really urgent.”

“Oh? Kamsahamnida Sir.” Yonghwa bowed and then together they walked to the telephone.

 

“Hello.” Yonghwa picked up the telephone and sat on the chair.

“Hi. It’s me.”

“Oh. Why did you call at this hour? You know I can’t take calls this early.”

“I just want to say that I miss you so much, Yongie-yah. Not a single day I didn’t think of you.”

“Next time, don’t call at this hour okay? Good thing the officer allowed me to come here.”

“I’m sorry. I called because I’m leaving.”

“Leaving for?”

“Pyongyang.”

“Is that today?”

“De.”

“We may not see each other and we may not talk that often, always remember that I’m always here supporting you, huh? I will pray for your safety and success of the entire trip. Please stay safe and follow orders from our team huh?”

 

Seohyun started crying.

 

“How have you been? Huh? Are you eating well? Are you getting enough sleep? Are your leaders taking care of you?”

“Shhh. You’re crying again. I told you not to cry whenever we’re talking right? Please stop crying.”

“I’m sorry. I’m really sorry for calling you today. Please answer my questions.”

“Yes. I’m doing fine here. They keep on letting me sing during breaks. I always sing my song to you. I’m sleeping well now. The training is tiring but I’m getting enough rest. Please don’t worry too much about me.”

“That’s a relief then.”

“Now, let me ask you. How are you? How’s your back? Huh?”

“So you’ve seen the news.”

“Even if I’m here inside the camp, I have eyes and ears there. I’m monitoring you, Babe. So let me ask you again. How’s your back? How’s your health?”

“I’m taking medicines right now and wearing back brace. I attended series of therapies in the hospital. Hopefully I’d recover soon. Right now, I think I’ll have colds and I’m developing a cough.”

“Now I’m worried about you. Please never skip your therapy huh? Drink your medicines. Sing well in Pyongyang. Make everyone proud.”

“Thank you Babe. I miss you so much.”

“Nado. Really. I miss every single thing about you.”

“I love you Jung Yonghwa. I love you.”

 

Seohyun cried again.

 

“I love you too, Seo Joohyun. Please take care always.”

“De. You too. Stay healthy and stay strong. I’ll see you on your discharge on the training camp. I’ll send you to where you will be assigned.”

“Okay. I can’t wait to see you.”

“Nado.”

“I’ll keep on watching you. Do well in Pyongyang huh? And please, stay safe.”

“I love you Baby and I really miss you.”

“I love you.”

 

And together they hanged up.

 

Yonghwa’s tears fell as he put down the telephone. He quickly wiped his tears and walked to the Officer-in-charge.

 

“Sir, thank you so much for allowing me to take the call. In behalf of my girlfriend, thank you too.” Yonghwa bowed to the officer.

“I didn’t know she is your girlfriend.”

“Hahaha. We just want a peaceful relationship.”

“Your girlfriend is leaving for North Korea. I’m proud of her.”

“Yes Sir. Thank you so much. It’s her dream ever since. And I’m happy she’s fulfilling her dreams now.”

“It must be hard because you’re away.”

“Yes Sir. She’s been staying strong since I left. And I’m just thankful she’s doing well with her life even if I’m not around.”

“Please stay together.”

“Yes Sir. Thank you so much.” Yonghwa bowed.

 

The Officer then discharged Yonghwa and let him return to his barracks.

 

Seohyun, after the call, cried harder as she felt the emptiness in heart. She misses Yonghwa so much. After some moments, she conditioned herself and started getting ready for her trip to North Korea.

 

*end of flashback*

 

Seohyun then shared her experiences in North Korea and talked about meeting Kim Jong Un. She also shared her future works and plans.

 

And then they talked about her and Yonghwa.

 

“It must have been hard for you Seohyunnie.” Yonghwa’s mother told Seohyun.

“This is more than when Yongie filmed in China and in Europe. It’s hard Omoni. But I’m making myself busy with work so I won’t miss him that much. But at the end of each day, when I lie down on my bed, I always remember him. I miss his voice. I miss his messages. I miss everything about him.”

“Nado. I stay longer hours in the office so I won’t remember he’s inside the training.”

“But knowing that he’s on top of everything inside the camp, this is all worth it.” Seohyun continued.

“Aigoo. Enough of those topics. Today is a great day. We’ll meet my son again.” Yonghwa’s father butted in.

“Ohh, mianeyo. Apuji.” Seohyun smiled to Yonghwa’s father while he’s driving.

“Did you start already preparing for your engagement?”

“Hahaha. That’s the topic that I want.” Yonghwa’s mother said.

“Oh! Apuji. Isn’t too early to prepare for that? And besides, Yongie already proposed to me and technically, we’re already engaged. Do you think it’s still okay to held another one?” Seohyun explained.

“Of course! Once Yonghwa finished his military, maybe we can held the engagement early in 2020 and then the wedding will follow immediately.” Yonghwa’s mother shared.

“I just can’t wait for you two to get married and us have grand children.” Yonghwa’s father said.

“We’ll get there Apuji. Right now, me and Yonghwa will do our work separately and when the time comes, we’ll get there and fulfill our work with you. Hahaha.”

 

 

The three continued talking while on the road until they reached Hwacheon almost 12:30 in the afternoon.

 

The graduation ceremony will formally start at 3 in the afternoon. The camp opened their doors to the trainees’ families exactly 12 for them to share lunch and to spend time with their families before the ceremony starts.

 

Yonghwa was already outside his barracks where his team had set up a small banquet for their lunch with their respective families.

 

“Hyung, who’s coming today?” Yonghwa’s colleague asked.

“Ah, my parents. And my girlfriend.” Yonghwa replied.

“Wow. I’m excited to meet your parents and your girlfriend Hyung.”

“Nado. I’m excited to see them again. Especially my girlfriend.”

“She must be really beautiful Hyung.”

“Of course. Just a little bit more, and you’ll meet her.”

“Yes Hyung.”

 

Yonghwa patiently waited for her parents and Seohyun while seated on the banquet. While waiting, he talked to his colleagues’ families and shared their experiences during the training.

 

 

Seohyun and Yonghwa’s parents quietly entered the camp. With the special request from Yonghwa himself, a number of military officers escorted them to Yonghwa’s barracks.

 

Yonghwa had been in very good relationship with all the military officers. He showed only discipline, kindness, humility and sincerity to everyone he’s been with inside the camp. And so, whatever he asked for was immediately granted by the head of the military camp, especially when he requested for his official photos not to be shared publicly. It has been his request since he entered that he wanted a private service inside the camp. He asked that all his photos from the camp café and his official photos be not shared to the public but only to his family and friends, with his consent. It was immediately approved given no rules has been violated.

 

 

Seohyun and Yonghwa’s parents followed three military officers upon entering the camp. As quickly as possible, the walked following the pace of the officers to prevent getting attention from the other guests.

 

Seohyun felt nervous while walking. It will be the first time she will see her boyfriend in five weeks, other than their FaceTime call recently. She’s wearing her cap, carrying a paper bag and on her back, a small backpack.

 

As the three reached Yonghwa’s barracks, they saw a small gathering outside; tables filled with foods were there and a group of around 20 people were already there.

 

Seohyun carefully looked where Yonghwa is. She looked around the people gathered and just a few moments, saw a familiar man seated on one side.

 

“It’s him.” Seohyun told herself as they reached the outside of the barracks.

 

 

Yonghwa, upon seeing the three officers arriving knew it was for him. He looked from his seat his parents and then the lady following his father wearing a black cap.

 

 

“Baby.” Yonghwa whispered as he stood up.

 

 

The military officers then called Yonghwa upon their arrival.

 

“Sir, Ma’am. We’ll keep watching here to make sure no one would take photos of your son.” The officer said.

“Thank you.”

 

Yonghwa’s parents, Seohyun and Yonghwa bowed to the military officers.

 

 

And then they all met.

 

“Omma.” Yonghwa hugged his mother first.

“Ohh. My son!” Yonghwa’s mother can’t help but cry hugging her son for the first time since he entered.

“How have you been Mom? You’re getting skinnier.” Yonghwa broke the hug and cupped his mother’s face.

“I’ve been working hard in the office so I won’t miss you that much. Gosh son, you look good.” Yonghwa’s mother, in return, cupped Yonghwa’s face.

“I’ve been doing good here Omma. Please don’t worry.” He wiped the tears of his mother.

“I’m proud of you son. Congratulations!”

 

And then Yonghwa turned to his father and gave him a hug.

 

“Congratulations son! Just a few more months. Hahaha.” Yonghwa’s father patted his back and then broke the hug.

“Thank you so much Appa. Omma. Hahaha. I still have a lot of things to learn here. And I’m planting everything here and here.” Yonghwa pointed to his head and chest.

“I’m proud of you son.”

“Thank you Apuji.”

 

Yonghwa then turned to Seohyun.

 

“You.” Yonghwa looked at Seohyun. She started tearing seeing him meeting his parents again. “Come here and let me have the promised hug.” Yonghwa smiled while looking at Seohyun.

 

Seohyun lost for words and just hugged Yonghwa tightly. She quietly cried feeling his warm hug for the first time since he left.

 

“Yah. This is what I’m looking for. Gosh. I missed this. I missed you so much Seo Joohyun.” Yonghwa held Seohyun tightly.

“I missed you Jung Yonghwa.”

“Is your back still aching? Huh?” Yonghwa whispered as he put pressure on her back. He massaged her back.

“Ahh!” Seohyun felt the pain on her back upon Yonghwa putting pressure during the hug.

“Oh, miane. It’s still hurting?” Yonghwa massaged it softer.

“De. I still haven’t drink my medicine yet. I have to eat before drinking.”

“Ohh. Cham. I want to take care of you.”

“Kenchana. Knowing you’re doing well here is enough for me. I’ll take care of my self.”

“I want to kiss you. May I kiss you, Babe?” Yonghwa, trying his best not to cry.

 

Seohyun then broke the hug, her eyes still watery, cupped Yonghwa’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter