One Wish

30 Days

D-30

 

Finally, your birthday has come! Your house looks pretty normal except for the living room and your room which your family made-up last night for you on the remaining days of your life.

 

They’ve prepared more than enough for this day and they didn’t want anything that they’ve heard yesterday ruin it for everyone, most especially you. They promised to themselves that they will just enjoy this day and not think of your remaining 30 days.

 

The caterer and baker arrived before noon to deliver the food your family ordered. Your family loves to cook but when there’s a special occasion, you always order from this certain caterer so as not to get too busy on the day itself. They bought your all time favorite food and even personalized your cake with a Hello Kitty face on it since they know how much you love Hello Kitty. Both the living room and your bedroom are decorated with lots of pink. You may be obsessed with pink but you’re not the girly-girl type. You just happen to love that color and Hello Kitty at the same time.

 

You’re expected to come from the hospital together with Doctor Song around 1 in the afternoon. It’s not going to be a big party unlike the ones you had before. You used to invite your relatives, your and Subin’s friends and some of your parents’ friends.  This time, you requested that it’ll only be just you, your family and Doctor Song. You wanted it to be as exclusive as possible.

 

*ding dong ding dong*

 

“They’re here!!!!!”

 

“Open the door Subin.”

 

“Jiyeon!” You were greeted by the most awesome girl in your life, next to your mom of course, with an enormous hug.

 

“Subin! I’ve missed you!” You replied with a huge hug as well.

 

“It’s as if we didn’t see each other yesterday. Haha”

 

“We didn’t actually. You were busy preparing for this.”

 

“Do you like it?”

 

“It’s wonderful. Pink overload! You guys are the best. Thanks Mom, Dad, Subin and Doc!” You were about to cry of happiness when Subin suddenly slaps your head.

 

“Hey! What was that for?”

 

“No crying remember?”

 

“I’m not going to cry. Who told you I was going to cry?”

 

“Your eyes say so. Come on, can we eat now? I’m hungry!”

 

“Yes we can but after Jiyeon blows her cake and makes a wish.”

 

“Omo! I wonder what the cakes looks like!”

 

“You’re going to love it my daughter.”

 

“Did you choose it Dad?”

 

“Nope. We all chose and designed this one. Well, not hands-on that is.”

 

Your mom and Subin brought the cake out and started singing the Happy Birthday song. Everyone joined in the singing. And slowly tears started falling down from you smiling face.

 

“Happy birthday to you……”

 

“Make a wish first before blowing!”

 

“Say your wish out loud!”

 

“What? No! We never do that!”

 

“Well how about a different tradition now. Come on Jiyeon, it’s only us. Please.”

 

“Fine! Ok. Oh gosh this is going to be embarrassing. But then again, might as well say it now. Who knows this might be my last birthday.”

 

The other four people in the house looked at you like you just said something taboo.

 

“What? I was just joking! Come on guys, it’s like you don’t know me.”

 

Subin slapped your head again but this time lighter. She wanted to hug you and cry but she can’t do that right now.

 

“Don’t joke something like that again ok! It’s not funny. You’re just trying to shift the attention. Come on tell us your wish now!”

 

“Alright alright. Relax Subin, why the hot head now? Sheez, it’s my birthday. Spare me.” You said to her while smiling. You were glad when she smiled back.

 

“I am fully aware that time will come when I will bid goodbye to this world. Subin, don’t slap my head again. Let’s be honest, with my condition, that day is not impossible at all to come sooner than expected. I’m not going to wish for me to be cured because I’ve been wishing for that ever since and it’s not happening at all. So for this birthday, my wish is to spend my last days with that one man I’ll love for the rest of my life. Cheesy but I believe this is every woman’s dream am I right mom?” She nodded in agreement while giving you an assuring smile.

 

“So there. That’s my wish. Ok now, I can blow the cake and eat these delicious foods!” You blew the candles on the cake and everyone clapped for you can finally eat.

 

“Hey, by the ‘man you love’ you don’t mean?” Subin whispered to you while you were enjoying the food.

 

“Are there many men in my life? Aside from my father and Doctor Song, who else is that person I talk about almost everyday since last year?” You perfectly know she knows the answer. She just wanted to make sure she had read your mind right.

 

“Kim Minseok”

 

“Exactly!” You winked at her and went back to eating your lasagna.