Telling The Truth

Private Practice

Hello, my dearest readers! I've noticed a lot of you have been leaving comments where it seems like you're basically SCREAMING at Taemin. So I thought it would be fun (since we're getting down to the end here pretty soon) to let my Taemin have a chance to answer your comments from just this past chapter.

Taemin: Umm...Savvy, you're crazy. You just had me get beat up, and now I have to answer comments?

Yep! Okay! Here we go~! :D

@caline: I wish he had just left me to die. Honestly, everything would be so much better with me gone.

@Wolfburglar: Yes ma'am. I hear you. Don't worry. Let me get through to Jonghyun first. Then if Minho ever wants to see my stupid face again, I'll try to fix things, okay.

@lulunii: Whoa, whoa! Calm down there, okay? Sheesh. I seriously doubt Minho needs me. Doesn't he deserve someone who's not as ed up as me?

@VeniceTaeminnie: Thank you. I know.

@iloveminho32: That at the ice cream shop? God, I can't stand her. As for Onew Appa...I don't know why Savvy made him so mean. He's her bias and all.

@patchiee: I feel the same, dude.

@not_so_innocent: Yeah. Hate her.

@Tae-myeverything: Yeah...physical pain just might be what we both need right now.

@nayeli21: Oh, really? Things are gonna get better? We're gonna get together? ARE WE SAVVY?! ARE WEEEE~?!?!?!

AAAAAND THAT'S ALL THE TIME WE HAVE FOR QUESTIONS TODAY. PLEASE ENJOY THIS CHAPTER. -_____-;;

~~~~~

Taemin's POV

"MY BABY!"

Jonghyun lays me down on the couch and Umma rushes over to me, seemingly too scared to touch me. Appa stands off to the side, staring at me with wide eyes.

"What happened?" Umma asks, kneeling before my face.

"I found him in an alleyway, and he was about to have his head smashed in by a baseball bat," Jonghyun turns and meets my Appa's eyes. "It was Heechul and his gang again."

Appa sighs, his hair. He has known Heechul's parents for a while. They own the rival company of the one Appa works for. And they're also total homophobes, thus creating their arrogant monster of a son.

Umma quickly retrieves bandages and wet rags for my cuts and bruises on my face. Once he has me cleaned up, he takes a seat on the loveseat across from the couch along with Jonghyun. Appa stays standing, at a loss.

"Okay, so," Jonghyun crosses his legs. "You said we had things to talk about?"

I nod slightly and sit up carefully, clutching an ice bag to my cheek. "I haven't been completely honest with you lately. And I lost you, my best friend, because of it. So, I think it's time to come clean about everything."

"Damn right, it is," Appa grumbles, but I look up to see that he's not mad. He looks more confused...shocked, even.

Umma sighs and shifrs uncomfortably. "Minho came by earlier. Basically told your father his side of the story."

I bite my lip as Jonghyun gives me an incredulous expression. "Minho? Who's Min--you mean Choi Minho? From the ice cream shop?"

After allowing a few nervous sighs escape from my throat, I finally begin speaking, choosing my words carefully. "The reason I haven't been hanging around with you a lot lately, Jonghyun, is because I've been getting help after school. Minho has been tutoring me in math. And I really didn't want you to know that, because I thought you would lose your respect and support for me. You've called me brainiac for as long as I can remember. I didn't want you to find out I was failing math class and think I'm stupid.

"Overtime, I began to grow a crush on Minho, and it was becoming harder and harder to hide him from Appa. I didn't wan him to know about Minho either because I didn't want to seem like a failure and disappoint him. I have to keep my grades up so I can become a doctor or a lawyer and bring honor to the name of my family. That's what Appa's been telling me since, like, birth.

"So, how does one become successful when they at math? That's right. They don't. So Umma searched for a tutor and found Choi Minho. And at first glance, I knew he was the single most attractive person I've ever seen. But eventually, I fell in love with him. And I went on a date with him just to learn more about him. Appa caught me, and the first excuse I could come up with was that I had a girlfriend. Which is not an excellent excuse, because eventually I'd need proof. That's where Yoona comes in.

"So then I asked Yoona out. And you saw that, Jonghyun, which led you to believe that I've been betraying you for years. But I haven't. Come on, Jjong, you of all people have to know that I am most certainly gay. Of course, Yoona doesn't know that...well, now she does. Tonight I took her on a date that I had promised her. And the cashier just got all up in my business...I basically told Yoona the whole story before running out. That's when Heechul's gang attacked me.

"But just earlier today, Minho had come to give me my tutoring lesson for the day, and I told him my feelings. But he saw Yoona and I kissing and can't accept them. So, he thinks I'm lying and doesn't want anything to do with me because apparently, he likes me too. And I've completely and totally ruined my chances of being with him."

Umma smiles proudly at me as he my hair. "See? Doesn't it feel better to just tell the truth?"

I look up at Appa, whose mouth is hanging open. He approaches me slowly. "Son," his voice is more gentle than I've ever heard it. "Why didn't you just TELL me you were having trouble in math class? Why did you just let me believe my son is a delinquent?"

I sigh. "You've always said that I shouldn't show my weakness. So I didn't want to disappoint you. So I tried to come up with everything I could to keep you from knowing the truth."

"I should have been easier on you, Taemin. I'm so sorry," he places a hand on my shoulder. I've never felt so comfortable in his presence. It's nice.

Jonghyun walks over to me then with a wide smile. "Deep down inside, I guess, I knew you'd never betray me. When I saw you with Yoona, though, you really threw me a curveball there, buddy. If you had just told me what was going on, I could've helped you! Well...maybe not with math because I'm flunking that too. But definitely with your Minho problem. It's a shame you used Yoona like that. But I forgive you for everything."

"Does this mean we can be best friends again?" I look up at Jonghyun hopefully.

"Of course, brainiac," he ruffles my hair. "Everyone else is too much of a challenge in soccer."

I laugh at this, feeling my insides explode with happiness. Things are finally starting to be normal again. I smile, letting my eyes trace over everyone's faces before they suddenly fall on Appa's hands.

"Appa," I barely whisper. "What happened to you?"

Appa looks down at his bloody knuckles and bites his lip. He looks ashamed. Oh God, did he get in another barfight?

"As I mentioned earlier, Minho stopped by while you were gone," Umma mutters. "It didn't really go well."

I sit up quickly, glaring straight at Appa. "What happened?"

Umma and Appa exchange glances and angrily mouthed words befor it is decided that Umma will tell the story. "Well, you see, Minho came to the door and let himself in. It was obvious he'd had quite a bit to drink tonight. He began telling your father who he was and what he's been doing for the past few weeks. And then we all got to arguing a little. But then Minho started saying some bad things about you, and your father couldn't take it anymore. So he started beating Minho in the face and continued to do so until Minho's brother showed up and dragged the poor boy away.

I'm sure my eyes are the size of the moon as Appa lowers his head. "I'm sorry. I seriously regret it. You know how I get when I'm mad."

Oh, I know, trust me. I tremble slightly as I exchange glances with Jonghyun and Umma. "Oh God, he probably feels so much worse about everything now. I have to go to him. I have to tell him the truth. He's the only one still in the dark."

"I don't think so," Appa's voice is suddenly stern. "Taemin, I don't want you to ever see Minho again."

"What?" as if my eyes could get any wider! "Appa, I have to see him. I have to make thi-"

"I said no, Taemin."

"But Appa! Why-"

"Because he's a no-good drunken arrogant , and I don't want you hanging around with someone like that!"

"And how would being with someone like that be any different than being around you?"

I want to rewind and catch those words before they fly from my lips. I cringe and close my eyes, waiting for the attack that I know is coming. A slap to the face. A blow to the head. Anything to punish me. But after several moments with just silence, I open my eyes to see my father's sorrowful face.

"Appa, I'm s-"

"No, Taemin. It's okay," tears escape from his eyes. "You're right. You're absolutely right. I haven't been the greatest person in the world to hang around. I have serious anger issues, which is the fault of my step-dad. And my drinking problem...there's no excuses for that, I know. I'm just worried about how I'm not getting as much work as I used to. So then your grades started dropping and I worried that you'd end up in trouble and wouldn't graduate. So I've taken up drinking because I, like other millions of people in this world, think that alcohol can solve all my problems. But honestly, all it does is cause more problems. And I'm so sorry."

And then he's hugging me. It should be comforting, but I know my Appa isn't much of a hugger. So it's more awkward than anything. I hug him back slightly as him and Umma sniffle in harmony. Jonghyun peeks around Appa's shoulder and gives me a big thumbs up.

"Please let me go talk to Minho, Appa. He's not always like that, I promise. The Minho you met is not the Minho I fell in love with. I just need to clear things up with him. Please, Appa. I love him so much."

Appa chuckles a little and pulls aways from me. "Go get some sleep first, alright? He's not gonna want to hear anything until he's sobered up. You can go in the morning."

The last thing I remember is Jonghyun asking to call his mom before I sleepily walk up the stairs and to my room. As soon as I hit the bed, I'm out.

~~~~~

Minho's POV

I wake up with my arms around the toilet. My bare legs hurt from being on the cold, hard tile floor. My mouth is dry and tastes horrible. And it literally feels like there's a whole marching band of pain in my head. I roll my head to the side and see Siwon sitting cross-legged against the wall, texting on his phone. I hiccup weakly, and he looks up at me.

"Hey there, baby bro! Feel like throwing up again?"

I shake my head, quickly realizing that it wasn't such a good idea. I fall back against the wall behind me and sigh.

"Do you remember last night?" Siwon asks casually.

"Not at all," my voice is made of breaths.

My brother chuckles bitterly. "Well, apparently something made you so upsed that you nearly drunk yourself dead at the bar. Then you took a taxi to Taemin's house, harassed his parents, and then his dad beat you up."

"What?" I stand up, too quickly, and steady myself on the wall. I then cross over to the mirror and see my face: a black eye, a twisted nose, a busted lip, and several more bruises. I look like I got run over by a truck.

"Now tell me what you, Choi Minho, the nicest of all nice guys, could ever say to get someone to beat you up?"

I honestly can't remember. I stare at my reflection in shock. What could I have said?

"Talk to me, Minho," Siwon sighs as I sink back down to the floor. "This is the second morning in a row you've spent hugging your toilet friend. Please tell me what's been going on with you."

I sigh, feeling my heart break all over again. Will I even be able to tell him?

"The other day," my voice is already broken. I swallow my tears and will myself to continue, "I saw Taemin kissing a girl. He has a girlfriend, Siwon."

"So my assumptions were right...wow, I wish they weren't, man. I'm so sorry."

"Oh, but it gets worse," now tears freely fall and I sniffle to get words out. "So I come the next day and talk with his Umma, whom knows I'm hung up over his son. Motherly instinct, I guess. So his Umma confirms Taemin's girlfriend and says he can't believe it either. AND THEN, Taemin and I proceed with our lesson and, oh yeah, Taemin decides to try to confess to me. That's right! The little idiot wants me to believe he actually has feelings for me...I'm sorry, Siwon, I can't do this..."

"Yes you can," Siwon scoots over to me and wraps his arms around me. "Please go on."

I take a deep, shuttering breath and bite my lip before nodding and speaking again, "So, of course I get pissed at him. So I grab my stuff and walk out, practically telling him I have feelings for him and that I never want to see him again in the same breath. I didn't want to come home right away, so I went for a walk and ended up at that ice cream shop downtown. I got free ice cream, but I didn't even eat it. I ended up sitting on a bench for two hours. But then when I look back up towards the ice cream shop, Taemin and Yoona are in there having a date! Like he didn't jus totally obliterate my heart mere hours before! And I just couldn't help it, Siwon! There was a bar right there! And I...just...I'm sorry."

I resolve to sobbing into Siwon's chest as my brother pulls me closer to him and holds me tightly. He rubs comforting circles into my back as I weakly gasp for my breath. Once I'm finally calmed down, Siwon pulls back and looks at me thoughtfully.

"You know, maybe you have the wrong idea. Maybe this whole thing isn't what you think it is. What if this girl isn't really Taemin's girlfriend?"

"I can't imagine him sticking his tongue down a distant cousin's throat."

Siwon nods at this. "Well, that's true. But what if he's just like you? Remember with Jessica, yo-"

"I told you not to bring her up!" I growl, ing my face into my hands.

"Please, Minho, just listen," my brother's voice is tinged with annoyance. "You got with Jessica when you first started having mere hints of attraction to males. Because you were scared. You thought you weren't normal. So you dated Jessica to try to have a normal life. But it didn't work. Not because you found out she was unfaithful. But because you realized you would never like Jessica the way that every other guy in school liked Jessica. You didn't like her body, her personality, anything. You just weren't attracted to her. And hearing you speak of Taemin has made me confirm that. You're in love with him, Minho. And he's in love with you. I could tell from the minute I saw him. That kid carries love in his eyes."

I bite down on my lip to prevent more tears from falling. Siwon smiles warmly at me. "You gotta let him tell you his side of the story, okay? Only then can you understand."

And then my phone rings. I groan in disgust, signifying that I don't want to answer it as I slump back against the wall. Siwon crosses the hall to answer it himself. He speaks briefly in a tone I can't hear before finally bringing his conversation into the bathroom.

"So, are you okay?...Yeah, I understand. My little brother is the exact same right now...yes...yes, I will ask him...I'm sure that will be fine...alright, you take care of yourself, now, you hear me?...Alright, good. See ya."

Siwon hangs up the phone and I look up at him expectantly. "Get cleaned up and dressed. Taemin wants you to meet him in the park."

My eyes bulge. "Wha-"

"No talk. Just do it. Don't say you don't want to go, because I know you do. And don't say you have a headache, because I'm about to fix that. I just texted Grandma and got her recipe for a hangover remedy."

He leaves the room, and I sit on the floor for a few extra moments, pondering everything. "Hey, wait, Grandma never answers my texts!"

"That's because I'm the better-looking grandson, and I damn sure remember to send her a card on her birthday!" Siwon hollers back.

~~~~~

Taemin's POV

I feel so uncomfortable and jittery. The bench underneath me creaks in almost an obscene manner as I shift my weight continuously. He's not going to show up. Why would I ever think he would? I check the time on my phone and sigh heavily. Why would he want to see you again, Taemin? This is a mistake. Your whole life is a mistake.

But just as I'm about to give up, Minho appears, walking towards me slowly with his hands in the pockets of his hoodie. He stops a good two paces in front of me, his expression blank.

"Hey," I offer. He nods. Then he pulls something from his pocket.

"Brought this for you...figured it could be some sort of peace offering?" his voice is soft and awkward as he hands me the cold container of banana milk. 

I scoff slightly, but feel my cheeks grow warm. "You didn't inject it with poison, did you?"

Minho's face suddenly looks pained. "Wha--Taemin, no. Why would I--no."

This makes me feel extremely guilty. So I take the milk from him and bow a little in thanks. He silently sits on the bench, leaving a generous amount of space between us. We don't speak for a while as I drink my banana milk. It gives me time to think about what I'm going to say.

"So, I asked you to come here," I finish the last drop of my heavenly beverage before chucking the container into the nearest trash can, "because I believe I have some things to explain to you."

I hear Minho take a deep breath, and then he nods. "I agree with that belief. And I will listen to everything you want to tell me."

I squeeze my eyes shut in frustration with myself. God, look. He's such a nice guy. I've fallen for such a nice guy. Please let me make things right again with this nice guy. Please.

So then I start to tell him everything. Everything that has happened since day one. Some things he already knows, but I tell him anyway. Minho just watches me as he listens, his expression never changing. He would only occasionally look away from me for brief moments, as if to ponder something I said, before his gaze would trail back to mine and he would be engaged once more.

"And...that's basically it," I sigh heavily as I finish my spiel, looking away to seek comfort in the concrete underneath us. There is nothing more for me to add. I just have to wait for his response.

Minho doesn't respond for a while. When I lift my gaze back up, he holds it, searching my eyes. His hand moves, as if he's going to touch my face, but he quickly withdraws it, biting his lip.

"Okay, so...Yoona...you don't like her?"

I shake my head, my bangs poking into my eyes. "Not like most boys like girls."

"You were with her because you didn't want your dad to find out about me?"

"Correct."

"And that kiss..."

"She initiated it. And to be completely honest, I imagined it was you the whole time."

"And how am I supposed to know you're not just feeding me more lies?"

I blink and swallow hard. "To my knowledge, I've never lied to you about anything. I've just kept stuff from you."

Minho's eyes narrow. "Are you still keeping things from me?"

I shake my head again. "You know everything now."

"Good. Thank you, then," Minho suddenly stands up to leave.

"W-Where are you going?"

Minho shrugs. "Home," he says as if it's the most obvious thing in the world. "You've fulfilled your purpose for calling me here, so now we're done. Goodbye, now."

I stare flabbergasted as he begins to walk away. That's it? He just wanted the information, and now he's leaving? No, no. It can't end this way.

"But there's one concept you don't seem to be grasping!" I call out to his retreating back.

He stops, not turning around. "I'm listening."

"I'm in love with you, Choi Minho!" I yell, making my voice as loud as I can. "I'm in love with you, and I don't care who hears me in this busy park! I don't care if the homophobes try to kill me off because I'm 'not human!' I don't care about anything anymore as long as you, Choi Minho, know that I, Lee Taemin, am in love with you! No one else's opinions matter!"

Three beats later, Minho turns to face me, tears streaming down his face. The blood clears from my ears, and I hear the chatter of people around us: some disgusted, some praiseful. But I don't care about either. All I care about is the tall, short-haird man running towards me.

"All I want is a second chance," I say to him. "Please, Minho."

And then his lips are on mine. His arms are wrapped around my waist as mine are flung around his neck. The kiss is everything I imagined it to be and more. Tender but passionate. Rushed but loving. My heart feels as though it might take flight.

"Listen up, people!" Minho shouts as he pulls back. "My name is Choi Minho, and I'm in love with Lee Taemin! And you know what? If loving me means he's not human, so be it! Because I'd love Taemin if he was a freaking potato!"

There's a few cheers, some sarcastic "Good for you's" and a loud "Go the away, faggots!" But neither of us care as Minho cups my face and kisses me again. This time it's deeper and longer as I happily kiss him back.

"A potato?" I ask in between kisses, smirking into his lips.

"I love you, my beautiful potato," he breathes before dipping back in and taking my lips again.

"T-Taemin Oppa?"

Why? WHY?! I break away from Minho's lips to see Yoona standing to the side of us, her eyes wide.

"So this is him, huh?" her voice is soft. "This is Minho?"

I nod and Minho bows to her. "Hello, Yoona."

Yoona nods to him before turning back to me. "Taemin, I'm so sorry. I-"

"No, Yoona, I'm the one that needs to apologize. I used you for my own selfish reasons, and that totally wasn't right of me. It was a horrible thing to do. And I just want you to know I'm sincerely sorry, and I hope you find another guy who will treat you like you deserve to be treated."

"Actually, about that..."

"Yoona!"

All three of us turn to see another girl approaching, waving an arm in the air wildly.

"Yuri!" Yoona cries out as she embraces the other girl before leaning in and kissing her sloppily.

What.

The.

.

"Oh, Taemin, Minho. This is my girlfriend from back home, Yuri. Babe, this is Taemin and Minho."

Yuri bows to us both. "Hi there."

The now four of us stand there awkwardly as we glance back and forth at each other. It's Yuri whom finally speaks.

"Well, we do have a busy day planned today, so if you don't mind..."

"Oh! Sure! Go on and have fun," Minho says.

As they walk away, Yoona stretches up to whisper in my ear. "I hope that's enough of an explanation. Funny how we seemed to be in the same situation, huh?"

I smile at her as she sneaks a peck on my cheek and walks off with Yuri. "Bye, Taemin Oppa! See you at school!"

I turn back to face Minho, whom just kisses my forehead in a territorial manner before taking my hand. "Come on, let's go. I need a cup of tea, and I'm sure Siwon's just dying to hear about all of this."

I laugh as we walk. I clutch to Minho's arm and bury my face in his sleeve. "I love you. I really do."

Minho stops walking briefly to kiss my head again. "You don't know how happy I am to hear you say that. I love you too."

~~~~~

ARRRRRGH!

-runs around in circles with my fingers wiggling up in the air-

I AM GONNA HAVE SUCH BAD PAINS IN MY HANDS. OMG.

I totally wrote most of this in, like...two days. And then I edited it all today. And then I was gonna type it tomorrow, but decided to type it tonight. aioshaphhdha SO MUCH WORK.

And also: FINALLY~ A CONFESSION SCENE THAT BROUGHT TEARS TO MY EYES. <333

Yeah, and who all thought Yoona was a lesbian? Show of hands! Nobody? Bahaha. I've been planning that since the very beginning. ^^

THE NEXT CHAPTER WILL BE THE LAST ONE, YOU GUYS. OH MY GOODNESS I LOVE YOU ALL.

Please leave me really nice comments because they help me sleep at night. And it's getting pretty late here~