Step 1: Identifying The Problem

Private Practice

Annyeonghaseyo! So, this is my first 2Min fic. And this is my first time posting here. Due to my lack of internet service, I'm posting this from my phone. So I apologize in advance for lack of HTML or sloppy updates. I'll have to edit these chapters whenever I'm over at my best friend's house from her laptop. Haha. So, here we go! I'm actually having fun writing this story, so I hope you guys will have fun reading it! ^^

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Taemin's POV)

I stare down at the page again with a sigh. There is no way I can make sense of it. Several teachers have tried, but the don't know I don't understand. "He's at that age," they will say. "He's rebellious. Schoolwork is uncool."

"He's such a brilliant kid," umma will say. Umma understands. Umma knows that I am having trouble. Umma will buy me books and read through them with me. But nothing can help me. Nothing can hide the truth.

I at math.

"Pencils down!" the teacher's shrill voice echoes off the walls of the room. The class hurriedly slams their pencils down on their desks, folding their hands in their laps. But my pencil's been down for a while.

In fact, it never left the desk.

The teacher collects the papers. She glances over each one. She has such a poker face.

The bell rings, but I don't rush. I know what's coming.

"Lee Taemin, please stay back for a minute."

I pick up my schoolbag and sling it over my shoulder. I let out another sigh and trudge over to the teacher's desk.

"Your test is blank, Taemin."

"I know."

"That's another failing grade."

"I know."

"That's three in a row. I have to call home."

"I know."

I know. I know. I always know. I just don't know anything important.

The teacher pulls out the record book, flipping immediately to the L's. I've been in the same situatuon before with different teachers.

"This is your dad's number?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Jinki? Am I saying that correctly?"

"Yes ma'am. He goes by Onew, though. O-N-E-W."

"Onew," she repeats, writing this information down. "Okay then."

I spin around, heading towards the door. I need to get out. I need to breathe.

"Taemin?"

I stop, sighing yet again. Here it comes. The pep talk.

"You're such a brilliant kid," she says, and a thorn pierces me as I hear Key umma in my head. "You have high scores in all of your other classes. I just feel like you really don't apply yourself in this class. I know you have it in you, Taemin. You just need to try."

How many time have I heard that? Too many times to count.

I nod, opening the door and walking out quickly. I don't need her words. I don't need her to tell me I'm a failure. I already know. I always know.

*****

I open the door, immediately welcomed by the smell of dinner cooking. I kick my shoes off at the door behind me. I hang up my schoolbag and jacket in the hallway.

"Taemin?" Key umma's voice is always so sweet and kind.

"Yeah, it's me, umma," I say with a sigh. walking into the kitchen.

Key umma turns around, sporting an apron and matching oven mitts. The usual bright smile is faded while looking over my face. A disappointment. That's all I am.

"Baby, what's wrong? Did everything go alright today at school?"

"Yeah, umma. Everything was fine. It's just..."

"Okay, I see...yes ma'am, I'll talk to him...okay, thank you for calling...goodbye."

Busted.

I turn around to see him standing in the doorway, the phone still in his hand. I swallow hard as he stares me down.

"What's going on?" Umma's voice is broken. Why even ask?

"Key, honey. Your son has failed yet another assignment."

Umma sighs, and I bite my lip. "Your son." He doesn't even want to claim me.

"In fact, it was a test. And he didn't even write his name on it."

"Key umma, I'm sorry."

"How can you be sorry? You didn't even try!"

I cover my ears. I don't want to hear his words. He doesn't even know.

"Taemin, baby, go wash up for dinner, okay?" Key umma kisses my forehead and I walk away, stiffening while I walk by the man in the doorway.

The water runs smoothly from the sink as I wash my face. Umma dislikes filth. But my face isn't the root of my true filth. It's my brain. My brain makes everyone consider me a disgrace.

There is a knock on the door. "Taemin? Can I come in?"

"Yeah," I say, turning off the sink.

Key umma walks in with a sympathetic expression. "Are you alright?"

I bite my lip and don't speak a word. What if I am to disappoint him more? I would never forgive myself.

"Come here, baby," I am wrapped up in a tight hug, pressed against umma's chest. I sigh, hoping not to cry.

"Did you try? Did you really try to understand the questions?"

"Yeah, but I just don't get it, umma! I don't understand any of it! It's like a foreign language to me!" Oh God, am I crying? No, no, no...

"I think I need to get you a tutor," Key umma says, my hair.

My world nearly stops. A what?

"No, umma. I don't need a tutor."

"But Taemin. You have so much trouble and you won't ask for help from anyone. I should hire you a tutor. You could come straight home after school, and the tutor could meet you here," Umma pulls me back and smooths his hands over my face. "Your friends wouldn't have to know. Your teachers wouldn't have to know. Your father wouldn't even have to know."

I bite my lip even harder. He hates me. He thinks I'm a disgrace. He wishes I never existed.

"Taemin! Stop it!" Key umma's voice is suddenly very distressed.

. I just spoke those thoughts out loud.

"Your father loves you very much. If you would just tell him of your troubles..."

"No! He can't know. He can't know that I'm stupid."

"You're not stupid, babe. You just need some help," I am pulled into another tight embrace. "Let a tutor help you."

I sigh, Key umma's hair to keep us both sane. "Okay. I'll get a tutor."

Key umma smiles, kissing my forehead. "Thank you. I'll start making calls in the morning."

I smile too, nodding a bit. Maybe a tutor will help me gain my confidence back. Maybe Onew appa will appreciate me more. Maybe Key umma will no longer be disappointed in me and will no longer have to cry over me.

"Come on downstairs when you're done washing up, okay? I've made your favorite," Key umma kisses my forehead again and then leaves then leaves the room.

I look at myself in the mirror for a moment. I can do this. I know I can. This tutor's going to help me become smart. I am going to make everyone so proud of me. Everyone will be happy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How am I doing? Alright for a newbie? T~T