Hershey's Kisses

Clubrooms & Weirdos


 

 

                Jongin, to say the least, is a bundle of nerves when he enters the clubroom Monday morning. He hadn’t really spoken to Kyungsoo after the party other than when the latter had texted him late Saturday afternoon to ask if he’d made it to Baekhyun’s safely. He wasn’t sure if Kyungsoo would remember anything and couldn’t decide if him remembering was going to be a good thing or a bad thing.

                It doesn’t take long for him to figure it out.

                Kyungsoo looks up from his beanbag chair and his mouth falls open a little bit. “Jongin,” he says, suddenly looking embarrassed. “Uh, hey.”

                “Um, hi,” Jongin mumbles, unable to look him in the eye as he awkwardly takes his usual spot in the beanbag chair next to Kyungsoo’s. He could feel his cheeks heating up and his heart is thudding so wildly in his chest that he was sure he was going to lose it because all he could think about was the way Kyungsoo had kissed him both at the party and outside of his apartment later and he could just sense that Kyungsoo remembered it too and please just let me sink into the floor and die.

                Just then the sound of someone clearing their throat cuts through the silence, and Kyungsoo and Jongin look up to find Luhan and Tao, the only other two people in the room, staring at them really hard.

                “Do you guys need a minute?” Luhan asks pointedly. “Like, should we leave the room?”

                “Um—” Jongin stops, clearing his throat because his voice had just cracked in the most embarrassingly high-pitched manner possible, which was not doing anything to help the way his face felt like he could grill a cheese sandwich on it. “Actually, I think we’ll just—I mean—” He glances over at Kyungsoo nervously. “Can we talk for a minute?” he barely manages to get out.

                “Um, yeah, we should probably do that,” Kyungsoo says, standing up hastily, and Jongin gets up on wobbly feet as well and follows Kyungsoo out the door, just catching a stage-whisper of “Don’t up er” thrown after him as he leaves the room.

                The two of them walk down the hallway together in silence, Jongin with his hands stuffed in his pockets and his eyes on the ground because he doesn’t think he can look at Kyungsoo without losing all of his nerve and just straight-up bolting out of there to avoid the tension between them. Kyungsoo doesn’t say anything either, and Jongin tries not to imagine what he might be thinking about right now.

                “We should be okay to talk in here,” Kyungsoo finally says, after they’ve walked down the hall some, pulling out a ring of keys and carefully unlocking a door to the left.

                “What is this?”

                “A room where we keep different ground water mineral samples. Most of the people in my program get a key.” Kyungsoo swings the door open and turns the light on, and Jongin awkwardly steps inside, taking in rows of glass cases filled with rocks.

                Kyungsoo carefully closes the door before turning to Jongin, biting on his lower lip. “Look,” he says, “first things first, I need to apologize to you.”

                Jongin doesn’t know what this means yet, but he can feel his heart sinking already. “So you do remember, then?”

                “For the most part, yes.” Kyungsoo rubs at the back of his neck. “I’m sorry for coming on to you the way I did that night. I mean, I didn’t know…I hadn’t realized…”

                “No, it’s okay. You had a lot to drink that night.” The words moved like stones in Jongin’s throat but he struggles to keep his voice clear.

                “And I’m sorry, about...everything else you told me.”

                Jongin shook his head. “Don’t apologize for any of that. I did a lot of stupid stuff in high school, and it was just the consequences of my actions.”

                Kyungsoo nods and takes a deep breath, and Jongin hates the way that he can still feel the heavy atmosphere around him. He was losing Kyungsoo fast and all he wanted was for things to just go back to the way they were, when everything was still easy between them.

                But then Kyungsoo says, “Well. Thanks again for taking me back to my apartment.”

                “Don’t worry about it,” Jongin says numbly, and Kyungsoo turns as if to open the door back up again and let himself out. And Jongin’s not really sure what comes over him then—maybe it was the fact that Kyungsoo’s dark eyes looked so melancholy or because he wasn’t exactly sure what he was to Kyungsoo anymore or maybe, just maybe, after everything that’s happened between them, Jongin was just tired of putting it off, but it hits him then that he was wrong. He was dead wrong.

                He didn’t want to go back to the way things were.

                Jongin reaches out and curls his fingers around Kyungsoo’s wrist, stopping him from leaving.

                Kyungsoo looks up at him.

                “I,” Jongin swallows, all of the blood rushing to his head and making him feel dizzy. . Could people faint from this? Has anyone ever passed out from pure fear before? Wait, they have. .

                Kyungsoo waits.

                “Do you,” Jongin finally chokes out, “do you regret it?”

                Kyungsoo blinks. “What?”

                “Do...do you regret kissing me.”

                A heavy, stifled silence falls over the room, and Kyungsoo’s lips part a little bit and his eyes widen minutely but he doesn’t move or anything, and he just stares and stares and stares.

                “Because,” Jongin struggles, “because the truth is, I’ve been wanting to do that for a long time. I figured it out the day your friend Jinri came over because I got scared at the idea of you doing it with someone else. Before then I got all these butterflies in my stomach when you smiled at me and I could never speak intelligently around you but I hadn’t realized...” He swallows.

                “But I was afraid to say anything because I’ve never met anyone like you before, so I made up that stupid stuff about you having that secret admirer so that I could plan that date we had without it looking suspicious, and I wanted to tell you that I really like the way your hair was slicked back for the photo shoot and how it didn’t matter that I got banned from the Lego store because I was spending the day with you and that you looked so cute with cat-ears on that I could’ve squealed but I didn’t have the guts to say any of that either, and the reason why I’m telling you all of this now is because I’m trying to tell you that I like you. I like you so much that it’s turned me into the biggest idiot on the face of the planet and I’m sorry for rambling.”

                Jongin finally stops, breathing a little heavily and his head is literally inflated with so much fear for Kyungsoo’s reaction that he’s certain he’s going to explode. He hadn’t intended for such a long speech, but once he’d started everything had just started spilling out and before he knew what was going on the words “I like you” had left his lips and now there was nothing left for him to do but wait for Kyungsoo to react.

                Kyungsoo doesn’t say anything for a full twelve seconds, but he’s gazing up at Jongin with such a tender and moved expression that Jongin feels a tiny part of him swell with hope. In fact, Kyungsoo looked like he was downright speechless, and after a while he exhales into something that might’ve been a chuckle and presses his lips together into a small smile. “You liked the cat ears, huh?” he says, his voice steady for the most part but a little thick with emotion.

                Jongin nods dumbly, because he’s still not sure what to make of this reaction, but then Kyungsoo’s stepping towards him now, closing the gap between them with a kind of intent that has Jongin’s breath going shallow, and when Kyungsoo smiles up at him the meaning behind it is unmistakable.

                Had he been given any time to do it Jongin might’ve responded with what probably would’ve been the dumbest grin in existence, but he quickly becomes distracted by his inability to breathe entirely when Kyungsoo reaches up to touch his cheek. In that moment Jongin is so utterly spellbound, finally able to look at Kyungsoo from a close proximity without any restraint, that he doesn’t notice the way he himself leans in, gravitated by the pull Kyungsoo’s gaze emanates, until he feels Kyungsoo’s breath ghost across his face, and he instinctively closes his eyes.

                Their first kiss was soft, a shy, gentle brushing of lips that lingered just long enough, and Jongin’s eyes flutter open at half-mast, searching Kyungsoo’s for any uncertainty, regret, any reason to stop, and he finds none. So he kisses him again, and again, each one more intimate than the last, arms slipping around Kyungsoo’s waist for his hands to rest on the small of his back. The same warmth he felt from the party inflates his chest again, but now it was something infinitely better because they were alone together, and they were both sober, and Jongin knew, knew now that last Friday hadn’t been just some drunk mistake. Kyungsoo wanted this, maybe even as much as Jongin did.

                He pulls Kyungsoo in close and kisses him slowly, relishing the way he gently on Jongin’s lower lip and the way Kyungsoo’s fingers felt when they reached up to tangle in Jongin’s hair and how perfectly Kyungsoo’s face fit into his palm when he reached up to carefully hold him in place. When they finally come up for air Kyungsoo pulls Jongin in to press their foreheads together, and Jongin closes his eyes and wonders what he had ever done to deserve being so damn lucky.

                “Just for the record,” Kyungsoo breathes with a smile, Jongin’s face, “I really like you too.”

                The words have Jongin’s chest swelling in pure and utter elation, and Jongin’s certain that he has never heard anything so beautiful in his entire life. He reaches up to take Kyungsoo’s hand in his and hold it there, swallowing.

                “Kyungsoo,” he starts, “I…”

                The sound of the door opening cuts them short, and the two of them look up to see Kris standing in the doorway with his hand still on the handle and his mouth open in stunned realization.

                “,” Kris promptly swears, closing the door as fast as he’d opened it, and even through the closed door Kris’ retreating voice could be heard as he yells “TAO YOU ING !”

                Jongin sighs, the moment lost. “Figures.”

               Kyungsoo laughs lightly. “We might want to start heading back now,” he says, lacing his fingers with Jongin’s. “They’ll probably end up eavesdropping outside the door if we don’t.”

               Jongin squeezes Kyungsoo’s hand, feeling giddy with relief and the words I like you too replaying in his head over and over again. “You’re probably right.”

               “So, what were you saying?” Kyungsoo asks, as they walk out of the room together.

               Jongin blushes. “Uh, nothing, just forget about it.”

               “You know, I might’ve been able to do that if you weren’t such a terrible liar,” Kyungsoo teases with a mischievous twinkle in his eye.

               Jongin just blushes harder. “Maybe some other time, then.”

               They open the clubroom door to find Kris and Tao rolling on the floor.

               “I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU MADE ME THEM YOU ING !” Kris yells as he manages to scramble onto Tao’s back, sitting on it while he tugs Tao’s arm behind his back with one hand and shoves Tao’s face into the floor with the other.

               “Ow ow ow ow ow, chill the out, you crazy ! What the was I supposed to do?! There was fifty ing bucks on the line!” Tao yells back, and manages to squirm out of Kris’ hold and struggles to pin him down as the other fought back with equal force.

               “YOU MADE A BET TO SEE WHETHER YOU COULD GET ME TO THEM?!”

               “Baekhyun’s gonna be so pissed,” Luhan laughs, searching through Baekhyun’s bag for his wallet. “This is perfect. Now me and Sehun can eat dinner at Ruth’s Chris for our one month like we’ve been planning.”

               “WHO THE EATS AT ING RUTH’S CHRIS FOR THEIR ING ONE MONTH ANNIVERSARY?! THE STEAKS THERE ARE SIXTY ING DOLLARS!!”

               Luhan scowls as he starts thumbing through the contents of Baekhyun’s wallet. “Well excuse me for having refined tastes. Don’t lie, you’re uber jealous. Even the bread tastes amazing.”

               “I’VE NEVER EATEN THERE, YOU !!”

               “Oops.”

               “What’s going on here?” Yixing walks up then, frowning as he peers inside the room. “What the hell are those two going on about now?”

               “Jongin and Kyungsoo are official,” Luhan announces, throwing Baekhyun’s wallet back into his bag. “And also Kris walked in on them.”

               “Wow, seriously? You couldn’t have given us the satisfaction of telling people ourselves?” Jongin glares at Luhan.

               “On a side note, congratulations, idiots,” Luhan grins up at them. “About time the two of you got together. It was actually starting to get painful. I had to stop Jongdae and Minseok from intervening more than once.”

               “Says the same guy who was eating out of Sehun’s hands for like a month before he finally got the big picture.”

               “Hey, back off about the feeding thing.”

               “Hey guys, you know you can hear Tao and Kris screaming from down the hall and—yo what the are you doing with my wallet?!”

               “Ah, you’re back,” Luhan says smugly, stepping over the still-rolling Tao and Kris with ease so that he could fan the bills he extracted from Baekhyun’s wallet back in his face. “Don’t worry, I already collected my share.”

               “NO,” Baekhyun gasps. “Kris actually—”

               “Yep.”

               “You mean our share!” Tao spat out as he tries to force Kris into a Brazilian jiu-jitsu hold. “The pot gets split between you me and Yixing, got it?!”

               “Okay, okay, chill, I’ll just hold onto this until I’ve collected from Minseok and—” Luhan stops mid-sentence. “You know, I fully realize that what you’re trying to do is probably a real martial-arts move but right now it looks a hell of a lot like you two are doing something very different.”

               “Shut…the up…Luhan!” Kris groans, struggling to pry Tao’s legs away from around his neck.

               “Huh,” Baekhyun says, tilting his head to one side, before slowly pulling out his phone and holding it up in front of them without breaking eye contact.

               “What the are you—ARE YOU RECORDING THIS?”

               “Aw, come on, you guys have all the dirt on me to get under my skin. Now I’ve finally got some leverage.”

               “You better get the off me before this gets any worse,” Tao grunts. “We’re just giving him what he wants!”

               “I’m not letting you go till your throat is slit, er! You’re gonna pay for this!”

               “Hey buddy.”

               “FUU—” Jongin jumps as Jongdae suddenly appears behind him with a coy grin on his face. “What is it with all you people constantly creeping up on me—?!”

               “Heard about the two of you,” Jongdae grins before waggling his phone in Jongin’s face. “Guess who else knows.”

               “Oh my god, you didn’t—”

               Down the hallway, Chanyeol, Minseok, Sehun and Joonmyun all skid into view Breakfast Club-style before Sehun breaks away and bolts towards them at top speed.

               “TOUCHDOWN!” Sehun yells as he tackles hard into Jongin, causing them both to fall to the ground. “KIM JONGIN HAS CAUGHT THE SNITCH! GRYFFINDOR WINSSSSSSS!”

               “GET THE OFF ME—”

               “Why are Kris and Tao rolling on the floor?” Joonmyun asks as he looks inside the room, where Tao is now pulling on Kris’ hair as Kris simultaneously tries to twist Tao’s wrist awkwardly over his head.

               “I’m a little more concerned as to why nobody ever comes up here to see what all the yelling is about," Yixing his head. "You’d think the teachers would tell us to shut the up what with screaming at each other twenty-four seven.”

               “Damn you” is Minseok’s first words as he throws a handful of bills in Luhan’s face. “I can’t believe you guys actually made Kris them. You’re all a bunch of sick bastards.”

               “Putting that aside though,” Chanyeol pats Kyungsoo’s shoulder, “good work Kyungsoo.”

               “Thanks.”

               “What? What do you mean good work? I’m the one who was confessing!” Jongin squirms as Sehun locks an arm around his neck and proceeds to ruffle his hair. “Dude, ing stop, you’re messing up my hair!”

               Luhan, Chanyeol and Minseok all blink at him once, before they promptly burst out laughing. “Hahaha, no you weren’t.”

               “WOW, THANKS A LOT FOR BELIEVING IN ME YOU GUYS—”

               Kyungsoo chuckles. “Hey Sehun, can I get my boyfriend back now?”

               Everything stops. Tao and Kris pause in the middle of trying to bite each other’s arm off, Luhan nearly drops his money, Baekhyun immediately turns the camera away from Tao and Kris to film the scene at the doorway instead, Chanyeol inhales too fast and gets a lungful of spit and Sehun and Jongin look up at Kyungsoo with matching pairs of wide eyes.

               “Boyfriend?” Jongin echoes loudly.

               Kyungsoo pauses at the abrupt shift in everyone’s attention. “Is that weird?”

               “No,” Jongin replies at once, throwing Sehun off of him unceremoniously and leaping up with a huge smile, and you could practically see his tail wagging. “No, it is most definitely not weird.”

               “Oooookay, before you two start making out—” Jongdae begins to shove everyone still in the hallway inside the room, “I’m evacuating the premises.”

                “No, I wanna see this!” Baekhyun whines as Jongin and Kyungsoo grasp onto each other’s hands and stare at each other with big googly lover’s eyes.

                “Quit being a ert!”

                “Quit being a !”

                “The ? How am I the ?”

                “You’re ing my ability to watch them make out!”

                “C’mon Sehun,” Joonmyun says, hooking his arms under Sehun’s armpits and dragging him into the clubroom.

                “Aw, man, I was hoping they’d forget I was here too.”

                “What is it with you guys and actually wanting to watch them make out?”

                “I don’t know, Jongdae. Why do people watch ? Because they ing can, that’s why. And none of you ers can argue with me because you’ve all watched before.”

                 “...Touché.”

 

 

 

 

 

 


a/n

epilogue next chapter

well...wow. i don't really know what to say. this has been one hell of a ride, to say the least, and i definitely got a little emotional when i realized the ending was drawing close, but i'm really grateful that all of you guys were riding this with me throughout the fic. 

i want to say thanks, to the people who faithfully commented on every chapter (and there are SO SO many of you oh my god) as well as the people who commented when they just got overridden with feels and couldn't contain themselves anymore LOL. your comments and feedback have been amazing, and it always made me really happy to see that you guys appreciated my weird- humour. it's really good feeling to know that you're able to make people laugh.

i also made quite a handful of new friends along the way, which i am also extremely grateful for. seriously, i must've had like 6 "senpai-noticed-me" moments over the course of this fic. (and hopefully you know who you are. i love you guys.)

and well...yeah. tell me what you guys think? just as one last favor to me :)