2012 Towards the Future

Never Again

 

//Year 2012

BoA’s gearing up for her Comeback Stage to unleash her new song “Only One“. It was a special song she has been working on for the past few months, that would eventually mark yet another milestone for her career. As a way of preparation, she also asked for Nappy Tabs’ help to specially choreograph the whole routine. Yunho heard that there’s going to be a couple dance and while BoA and her team have been in the talks as to who should be her special guest for her first stage, Yunho immediately volunteered for the task.

Touched and quite pleased with Yunho, the two proceeded to practice and have spent quite sometime together. Both of them have been busy with their own respective projects that admittedly, they weren’t able to hang out as much as they used to. That’s why they didn’t even bother to hide it. The happiness they both felt as they worked together, showed by the way they smiled and act around each other.

A couple of days more and finally, it was BoA’s comeback stage after two years of hiatus. As much as her fans have been anticipating for this day was Yunho supporting her in the background as well.

“You know, you’re not needed here until the very end of the recording, right?” BoA said, directing the question to Yunho who was seated at her side, as she was having her stylist fix her hair.

“And… that poses a problem for you?”

BoA scrunched her nose as she gave him a quick look to the side before returning her attention back to the mirror. “Not really. But wouldn’t this long wait be such a waste of your time?”

BoA stared at him through his reflection. He smiled by just a bit as he met her gaze indirectly. “It was never a waste of time to be with you.”

She felt her face grew hot. She hated it whenever Yunho said stuff that made her heart skip a beat, but at the same time, she anticipates for those moments.

“Oh shut up…”

As much as she hated it, Yunho loved seeing her look so flustered around him. Still, he was sincere when he said that. And he can only hope he was obvious enough for her to feel it…

 

It did take a while until the very last stage where Yunho was to join her for the couple dance. But he enjoyed just watching the whole recording from afar and all the enthusiastic fans who visited. He even found himself cheering for her. In fact, he was probably even more emotional than any of the audience because he saw her growth with his very eyes. He saw the struggles she went through before reaching this status.

He wouldn’t forget that day, when a tiny girl who shunned herself in the shadows of the iconic practice room of SM, because she thought she would never be good enough. It’s amazing how life does give you the most unexpected surprises because as he looked at the young lady on stage right now, nobody would even know she had such a past. In a way, that made him feel just a tiny bit more privileged than the others.

Performing “Only One” was the last presentation for the day. The two obviously showed their chemistry as they synchronized their movements together —  moving as if they’re one. He was glad he got to dance alongside her. It was different from his other stages because, he was doing it for her and not just anybody else.

As for BoA, everything that happened during the event would definitely be a special memory she would carry with her for another 10 years to come, or even until eternity, who knows.

And so, after the show, BoA walked on the platform as she watched the last of the audience ushered outside the venue (some where still waving at her frantically). She saw all the yellow balloons and light sticks that were sprawled on the floor. Her eyes caught a glimpse of a few sunflowers on the ground. Smiling, she walked towards them and picked a single stalk to hold close near her heart.

“Hey.”

BoA jumped when she suddenly heard his voice. Yunho joined her on the stage and gestured for her to sit down beside him. They let a few minutes to stretch in silence. In those quiet moments, Yunho noticed how she marveled over the flower in her hands. His longing eyes reflected a tender feeling, BoA was too oblivious to see.

But it didn’t matter.

 

Or maybe it did.

 

Because right now, he wished for nothing else but an acknowledgement.

“BoA, I think I love you.”

A sudden chill run down her spine and she was sure she almost choked out of nothing. The shock from those simple words depleted her thought process by a few second.

“Yunho, that’s silly,” she replied, not sure if it was exactly what she wanted to say at the very moment. She could finally feel her heartbeat racing and there was a subtle tug that wanted for her to retract her reply.

“Why would you think that?” he asked, genuinely curious.

BoA thought for a moment. She wasn’t prepared for this kind of confrontation, yet, she knew she couldn’t avoid it either. She forced her brain to work but under such pressure, she can’t expect herself to really give out a good answer to argue that.

“Because we’re best friends,” she finally answered. BoA can’t believe how lame that excuse was, until she heard herself say it.

“BoA, best friends can fall in love. I love you.”

He wanted to tell her more about his feelings. How much he had wanted her. How everything had began. But truthfully, he didn’t even know where to start. He wasn’t even sure how everything came to be but one day, he just woke up and he was sure that he wanted her to be part of his forever.

Falling in love with her was beyond his control. As much as he wanted to suppress it, he couldn’t.

He wouldn’t.

“But… I don’t think –”

“There should be no but’s, BoA. You are old enough to decide for yourself but if you are still not sure about your feelings, why don’t we leave it again in the hands of fate?” BoA looked at his serene face and was almost convinced he had the answers. She sat there, awaiting for him. “Why don’t we make a bet?”

BoA rolled her eyes in disbelief, when he finally heard him unravel the solution to her problem. “Really Yunho..? That’s everything you can come up with?”

Yunho just returned a smirk. “We’ll play the popular ‘love me and love me not' flower game,” he started, ignoring her. He picked the sunflower she was holding and held it in front of her for display. “You know how it works, right?”

The young woman bit her lip. Of course she knew about this silly game. Who wouldn’t? “I’m not sure about this…”

“Stop thinking too hard into things and just go with the flow,” he shrugged. BoA was supposed to say some more but he shushed her quite immediately. “How fitting though,” he mused, “that we’re even going to use our favorite flower for this game that will determine everything between us.” He paused for a little while to check if he still has BoA’s attention on him and then continued explaining the rest of his proposal to her. “Anyway, if this game of chance is in favor of you, then, well… That just . But that won’t stop me from making sure that you fall in love with me.” BoA’s eyes widened at this bold statement. hanged open. It had become impossible for her to say anything in the most dangerous game she’s ever going to play with him. “But if it is the other way around,” he paused so he could face her and hold her gaze, “you are going to be my girlfriend without questions.”

She wasn’t even given the chance to protest. And more often than not, she always have a say about things. Then she thought, maybe she needed this little push so she can be a little more honest with herself. Maybe it’s time to leave it to fate and not enclose herself with stiff logic.

Yunho smiled at her one last time before he started plucking each of the petals off the flower, chanting the magical words. He did it painfully slow as well. His words sliding between each other that captured her full attention. She honestly wanted to go ahead and do it herself. To end the agonizing anticipation. She didn’t know why but she needed to know.

Aside from his voice, everything else was still and quiet. A few more petals left and they will finally determine the outcome of this bet, when Yunho shifted his gaze back to BoA.

“I hope you’re aware that no matter what the end result of this, my feelings for you won’t change, right?”

“I-I know…” she mumbled softly in agreement, because she secretly wished, deep down, that he doesn’t take back his words either. To stay faithful to that promise.

She loves me… She loves me not.” he continued, his voice echoing slightly in the empty room. It truly feels that they were the only ones that existed in that moment. The awareness that they have for each other was almost palpable. “She loves me…” He lifted his eyes and watched BoA witness how their destiny would will this little game to decide their future together. “She loves me not.

Just a few more moments until they come up with an answer. Her heartbeat slamming against her ribcage unable to control the surging feelings that she couldn’t hide anymore. It was stupid that they had to resort to this when the two were obviously aware about their real feelings for each another since a long time ago. They were just too afraid to confront it because of several uncertainties.

She loves me…

Right now, they are too old to be trapped by those kind of thinking.

She loves me not.

There’s nothing to be afraid anymore.

“She loves me…”

If it meant being together.

She loves me not.

And just like that, she snapped. BoA grabbed Yunho’s hand in an abrupt hold, her grip almost stunting his blood flow. She furrowed her brows, and tried hart to steady her erratic feelings. The both of them saw how the turn of events escalated to how they wanted it to be. And it was definitely an answer they were both been waiting for.

“I swear to God, I am never gonna play this game with you anymore,” she breathed but the tinge of relief was still audible in her words. “Never again…

Yunho’s lips lifted up into a knowing smile and understanding. He held the flower in front of her, plucking the last of it’s petals. He threw it in the air and it fleeted away gracefully until it touched the ground into a quiet stillness.

It was amazing how fate was even on their side.

 

 

Yunho’s hand grazed BoA’s cheek lovingly, warmth emanating from both their bodies, as they both sighed the final words that they’ve waited too long to say.

 

 

I love you…

END.

 

*

 

Author's Note:

And there you go! The final installment to this story. Hihi! Did you guys like it? I hope I didn't fall short by the end coz I don't want it overly done either. But the important thing is, they were able to finally acknowledge their feelings for one another and they ended up together! WIN WIN situation (did you see what I did there? LOL. Lame reference to the talk show that sparked my YunBoA feels is LAME).

Anyway, it was a struggle coming up with the ending that would explain the title until I learned how Yunho also likes Sunflowers! BoA love Sunflowers, too!!! So yeah, basically, with that knowledge, you kinda see why I was so specific with it during the course of this story at the end. More like a symbolism as well :3 

LOL. But enough rambling. Thank you for reading! For all the new and old friends, I really appreciate the support! Hang on to my next stories coming up very soon~