Voices

Wicked juvenile

 

Chapter 5
Voices

 

Sungmin sat in the car, watching, waiting. He knew they would be out soon, so he sat in his driver-seat watching the couple reconcile, through the tinted window of his car. He still couldn’t believe the things that happened to those lovebirds. It was a ridiculous occurrence and downright impossible, Sungmin would’ve never believed it if he hadn’t seen it happen before his two eyes. One day the man was , and in the next few hours his tummy was bulging. It has got to be something supernatural — there wasn’t any other explanation the officer could deduce.

 

From the brief moments of chats he’d had with Donghae, Sungmin figured that the man’s life became scrutinized. There was always someone, or something, watching him all the time. Donghae had admitted beforehand that his brother and parents were observing him keenly, but had also hinted to an unnatural up force to be watching him as well and telling him, from time to time, to maintain a dietary program. It had sounded outlandish even to Donghae’s ears, but it was the truth, and Sungmin, actually, believed him.  

  

His thoughts were disrupted by the distant chatter resonating from the couple approaching the car. He watched as Donghae accepted a passionate kiss from his fiancé before they walked to the BMW. A long sigh of relief escaped his lungs, and then he turned the key in the ignition, starting the car. It was going to be a long ride, and he was glad to know that some of the awkwardness between the dual had ceased.

 

Sungmin put his car into gear and waited for the couple to hop in and get settled. “Glad to see you again, sport!” he called out to Eunhyuk, their eyes locked through the rearview mirror and they both smiled. Eunhyuk bid him his greetings and patted his shoulder with gratitude, and soon the officer was peeling out, heading back to town. He really hoped things would keep steady between Eunhyuk and his family-in-law…

 

 

* * * *

 

 

“Donghae-ssi, why don’t you fill Eunhyuk on your pregnancy? Tell him how it was.” Sungmin smiled at him encouragingly, but Donghae had no idea where to start. He nodded his head mindlessly; might as well resonate to himself how the hell this happened. “I don’t know how this baby got inside. As far as I know, it is not biblically possible, but in this world we’re living in, everything proved to be possible—I no longer count anything impossible since I got pregnant.”

 

Both Eunhyuk and Sungmin noticed Donghae’s emotionless tone, and thought it was the best way a man could deal with such a situation, and thus they commented less throughout his narration. He continued, “The day they locked you in, I think I’ve been unconscious halfway through it. The next thing I know, I woke up with a storming heading and bloated abdomen underneath the hospital’s sheets. Ever since that day, I’ve been as pregnant as I am right now. This big baby wasn’t growing any bigger neither shrinking any smaller; it has maintained its size since day one; another proof to the doctors that this baby isn’t friggin’ real.”

 

Again, Donghae spoke without emotions; he’d figured long ago that there was no use in crying as that would just make matters worse. He did not want the emotions to overrun his for he may break. He had no idea how to deal with this situation, and he knew his lover had no more idea than he himself had, so he figured that the best way to deal with it is not to deal with it and just let it be. Maybe once he’d given birth he’d go and seek a psychiatric, get himself treated, but until then there was no reason to fight in a losing game.

 

Sungmin’s voice stirred in his throat, he looked like he had a question stuck in, but afraid to ask. From his firm grip on the steering wheel, Donghae knew that it wasn’t a question he might’ve welcomed with a soft heart but he saw no harm in answering it anyways, and thus he asked the officer to fire it at its worse shape. “It’s just that… I want to know if Donghae-ssi is at any sort of danger,” Sungmin said, and watched Eunhyuk perk up alerted, at the mention of the word ‘danger’.    

 

There was no replay, and Sungmin opted to clarify what he meant to say.

 

“Danger as in birth-giving risks, or… if this —I don’t know, monster? Perhaps— is still chasing after you. It’s my duty to make sure you’re living safely, you know,” he explained. Donghae sighed, he knew he wasn’t going to like what the officer will say and darn he was right. “Well,” Donghae started. He stole a look Eunhyuk and then continued, “We’ve escaped the haunted house, haven’t we? And as for the baby, the doctors said it’s going to be an easy surgery, and I’m hoping they’re saying the truth, for I can only hope, anyway…”  

 

He looked at Eunhyuk and the other’s face was somber. Donghae pressed his head to Eunhyuk’s chest, he wanted to tell him that it was going to be alright —he really did!— but he wasn’t  sure himself if he was going to outlive this curse and survive. It was Donghae’s turn to look forlorn now. His hold tightened around Eunhyuk’s waist.

 

“He’s not dead —the monster that attacked me— he’s alive,” Donghae said as a matter-of-fact. “What if he’s letting me think I’m safe, and once the child is born he’d come back to conceive it. W-What if that’s the case?” Donghae sounded though, as if he’d been talking to himself, so neither man answered him.

 

“Baby, listen,” Eunhyuk spoke, caressing Donghae’s arm soothingly. “Both of us know that this baby is not human, maybe it’s better to let it be taken away, far away, from us. Even if that monster didn’t come to get it, we can give it away. I’ll make the preparations needed, just say the words, love, and I’ll do it.” He kissed the top of Donghae’s head.

 

Donghae wanted to say ‘yes’, he really did, but he had a feeling that the baby just won’t leave.

 

It was just frustrating.

 

* * * *

 

Misun didn’t bat an eye when Donghae told her and the others that Eunhyuk is going to move in. “He’s going to take care of me until I’ve given birth too, so you don’t have to trouble yourselves.” Eunhyuk smiled politely, his hand pulling his lover slightly to his side. Donghae turned in his loose hug and nuzzled his nose and then pulled away. He looked back at his mother and she maintaining a blank countenance, his father though, didn’t cover his grimace and didn’t conceal his snort.  

 

“May I talk to my son, in private, please?” Daniel asked, though was not looking at Eunhyuk at all. Donghae pecked his lover’s cheek before walking outside, deliberately ignoring his father as he went.

 

They moved from the hall entrance to the living room with his father, intending to only take a minute.

 

“What’s up?” he asked, once Daniel closed the door behind them. 

 

“Look, I know I’m probably the last person you want to speak to right now, and I can totally understand that but see that piece of in there — he’s not going to be anywhere near you and that’s final. And that, of course, if you want me to let him stay in this house, son.”

 

Donghae shook his head but didn’t complain. He turned away from his Dad, he had forced himself to keep composed despite the tears in his eyes —to which he’d wiped his eyes against his sleeves before his father could see— drew his shoulders back and took a deep breath. Donghae began to gently nod, “Anything else, father?”

 

“Son, I don’t want to interfere between the two of you, but it’s my job as a father to warn you, and do it again, when you’re being too stubborn to listen,” Daniel said. “I know you love him, and I want you to know that I and your mother are trying to give him a second chance —I’m hoping you’d understand how hard it is for us to do that, son, and that we’re only trying, for you; it’s not easy to see your son with the man who…” “Dad, enough,” Donghae interrupted, there was no reason to emphasize Eunhyuk’s crime over and over. “Fine,” his father said, “Just don’t sleep with him; at least until you’ve had your baby —you’re only a month away.”

 

“It’s impossible Dad, he’s my fiancé and has been in a pin for too long, it’s highly likely for us to have tonight. I was hoping you and Mom wouldn’t ruin this for me,” Donghae said, a tear trailed down his cheek before he knew it was formed.

 

Daniel let out a sigh and then shook his head. He walked over to Donghae’s aid, “I can’t let this happen —not when you’re like this at least,” he pointed at Donghae’s rounded belly. “It’s dangerous Donghae, and I won’t risk your health again. He’s staying with Donghwa for the night, until we’ve prepared a room for him tomorrow. Talk’s over! Let’s go back inside.”

 

Donghae stood frozen, even after his dad had left. He couldn’t believe he wasn’t allowed to have with his lover after finally reuniting with him. The world was truly unfair to him!

  

* * * *

  

Donghwa was helping Eunhyuk discharge some comfortable clothes from his stuffed bag, when they both heard soft knocking on the door. Three knocks, then a pause. Then three more knocks, faint and weak.

 

“Who’s there?” Donghwa’s voice came out in a sleep-chocked voice. He cleared his throat and repeated, louder, “Who’s there? Mom?”

 

There was no reply, just completer silence.

 

And then… there were three more knocks. Gentle scraps, as if from someone too weak to pound. He looked at Eunhyuk, terrified.  “Who’s there?” Eunhyuk demanded more loudly.

 

No reply.

 

Donghwa lowered his face to the ground but saw no shadows underneath. He looked at Eunhyuk, his face truly uneasy. Eunhyuk pushed him down to the bed, and moved across the room, and then grabbed the doorknob and yanked it open.

 

No one was there.

 

Eunhyuk stared into the dim light hallway, but there was absolutely no one. There was just an empty, silent hallway.

 

“Who’s there?” he whispered, suddenly chilled.

 

He looked around. Donghae’s bedroom door stood open a crack, revealing only darkness. He wasn’t sure if his fiancé went back to his room when no one opened the door or not, and he wanted to find out. “Donghae?” Eunhyuk called out softly, careful to wake up the parents. But Donghae never replied, so he went back to his room and pulled the door shut. He saw Donghwa laying in his bed with the sheet up to his chin, shivering a little.

 

They heard three soft knocks again, and then three more.

 

They looked at each other, in total silence, both past pretending they didn’t hear the countless knocks. Donghwa pulled the sheet over his head and pressed his ear into the pillow, trying to shut the sounds out.

 

The last knock was the loudest. It made both, Eunhyuk and Donghwa jump in their seats. They listened carefully to the turning of the doorknob. Seconds later, the lights went on.

 

“Did you call my name, love?”

 

Both Eunhyuk and Donghwa, let out an aspirated sigh of relief when they realized it was Donghae. The next moment, Eunhyuk jumped from his bed and pulled Donghae inside, and then closed the door behind him. “We heard some noises. I thought, maybe, it was you, coming to find me or something.”

 

“You were hoping for that?” Donghae asked. “Maybe,” Eunhyuk replied seductively, pulling his lover closer. Donghae smiled and leaned in to kiss him. Donghwa rolled his eyes and rolled into his blanket, giving the lovers some privacy.

 

They climbed into a couch, Donghae resolved not to waste any time thinking about his parents’ orders, and continued to on his lover’s bottom lip. Eunhyuk was starting to enjoy the kiss when Donghae dragged his head backwards helplessly, breaking the kiss. Before Eunhyuk had time to wonder about his intention, Donghae whispered against his lips. “Donghwa’s here, babe.” Eunhyuk groaned and pulled him close, bringing their lips together again, proving his intense need to have Donghae despite whatever circumstances.

 

Donghae eagerly pressed closer, plunging his fingers into the dark chestnut locks, and opening his mouth to take Eunhyuk’s questioning tongue. He promised himself to keep from and be as quiet as possible, for Donghwa’s sake and for the sake of not getting caught by his disapproving parents.

 

Donghae grabbed a hold of Eunhyuk’s coat, crushing the expensive fabric as he dragged it off his shoulders. Donghae pulled away and stripped Eunhyuk off his shirt as well, throwing it away, not caring if it landed over his younger brother’s head, because it did.

 

“No need to rush.” Eunhyuk told him, pulling Donghae’s hands up to his lips and kissing them contently. “We have all the time in the world, babe,” Eunhyuk assured. Donghae tried to calm his racing heart, but without success. He looked up to see Eunhyuk smiling that enigmatic smile again.

 

“What do you want me to do?” Eunhyuk asked, brushing his fingers against Donghae’s forearms. “Anything, everything, I don’t know…” Donghae blurted out. “I just want more.” Eunhyuk’s smile widened, but it was pleased and not the least bit mocking. He held Donghae’s head still and kissed him fervently.

 

“Why don’t we move to your room, babe?” Eunhyuk asked eagerly, completely sure he wouldn’t be able to hold back. Just like that, Donghae’s pleasant haze of desire vanished as if someone had thrown freezing water on him. Up until that moment, nothing had seemed entirely real, just some touches and kisses. He couldn’t keep the shock from coming back, he didn’t want to be left alone with Eunhyuk, at least in this room, Donghwa was there, so if anything was to happen, he’d be sure his brother would help.

 

But somehow, moving to his room, made everything seem too real. That confused Donghae even further because he wanted this to be real. Hadn’t he longed for this ever since he’d lost his lover?

 

“Donghae?” Eunhyuk caressed his face questioningly.

 

Donghae forced himself to meet the eyes that gleamed in the darkness. “Donghae, if you’re having doubts…”

 

“No, no doubts,” Donghae said quickly, and then sighed. “Maybe we should wait,” he finished with a frown. He tried to smile, but figured it would be very shaky, and thus he settled on a tamed frown. All of his expressions, sad and happy, died away when he heard his father’s voice calling from across the hall. Oh snap! With horror in his eyes, Donghae cussed under his breath. He knew he’d be in deep trouble if his father found him in here, with his forbidden lover.  .