Basement

Wicked juvenile

 

 

Chapter 2

Basement

 

 

 

“That Gyu was just unleashed. He lived on your porch, in the guest room, been to your personal bathroom too, but he never made himself visible to me—I’m not sure why. He’s a cool ghost though, and he liked you a lot, hyung.”  

 

“Nonono!” Misun countered. “Don’t believe anything this idiot says, honey. Your brother thinks he can be a storyteller someday, unfortunately, he’s doing a terrible job at it.” She then turned to Donghwa with a murderous look in her eyes, “No one even lived in this house, and I have a feeling you’re going to be the first one to haunt it!”

 

Unable to contain his laughter, Donghwa lifted his hands and kept them in a relaxed, zombie-like posture and started letting out ghost wails as he laughed. Donghae shoved his childish brother away. Donghwa was sometimes annoying.

 

“Donghwa, leave me and your brother the hell alone, please! Go and help your father outside, he’s waiting for you,” Misun said solemnly, and Donghwa raised his brows as if not guilty of frightening his already, ghost-paranoid brother. In the end, he gave up and walked out of the house, joining his father as the back yard.  That was when Donghae inched in on his mother and whispered, “Do you think he’s telling the truth?” She tried not to out-stare Donghae, and finally broke the eye-contact, whispering about how ridiculous she’d thought the ghost-talk always is.

 

But Donghae didn’t just let her be. “Mom, listen to me, I heard little kids communicate well with spirits, and Donghwa was only twelve when he stayed with me and Hyuk for summer. Do you think he’s telling the truth about that Gyu ghost?” Donghae looked desperate for her opinion, and she was deliberately putting him at needles by keeping zipped.

 

“You know your brother tells all sort of lies. He probably made this story up just to frighten you.” She sighed heavily before she continued, “Besides, this kid reads lots of Gothic. He’s also interested in magic, demons, and spells. I’ve seen him go through some books of such sorts back at the library the other day, and made him drop them right there and then. But I can’t change what captures his insterest—Donghwa will always have interest in this world, whether we like it or not. All I’m asking of you is not to believe his every word. Donghwa loves to play pranks on you, remember?”

 

Now that was true. He nodded his head, thankful that he’d been reminded of his brother immaturity. He then smiled at his Mom and suggested they’d start unpacking. Misun did not argue, in fact, she was relived to drop the subject, and have something else to worry about. Heavens knew how much she hated ghost-talk, and how often she had to suffer with such encounters. She took a heavy bag in her hand and walked unsteadily towards the stairs, and when Donghae tried to help her, she gently swatted his hand away and smiled. “I got this, honey. You just go up and clear the path for me, will you? I don’t want to trip and break anything. Chunky bones are are sensitive at this age.”  

 

 

* * * *

 

“Donghae?”

 

“hm?”

 

“Do you still hate me?” Donghwa asked out of the blue, he seemed concerned and somewhat upset, Donghae noted.

 

“I never did, never will. Why’d you ask, though?” Donghae said, looking up from his book, just a glance to lock eyes with Donghwa, so the younger knows he’s not lying. “You must’ve hated me, for a little time at least, you can’t be an angel. I’ve done enough things for you to hate me.”

 

Donghae sighed, not really fond of that subject either, but no, he couldn’t hate his young brother — not even if he wanted to. It was just down right ridiculous, the way Donghae saw it. “It’s just the way you are Donghwa. I can’t hate you for being who you are.”

 

“Of course, as always, you’re too nice. No wonder you got haunted,” Donghwa murmured under his breath, and Donghae chose to ignore it.

 

“Can I ask you something?” Donghwa stood up from his seat, walking over to Donghae’s bed, making up its messy side because it stressed him to see untidy things. He was clean-freak, an OCD addicted to tidiness, and it sometimes made people around him uncomfortable, especially Donghae who was quite the opposite of him.

 

“Shoot,” said Donghae.

 

“I want to know if you’ll still take Eunhyuk hyung back after what he’s done to you. He got you knocked up and ignored all rules of nature—Now, I know he’s paid the price behind bars, but still… Look, I just want to know if you still think he’s the right man for you, ‘cause apparently, he is not, even though you love him and might disagree with me.”

 

Donghae sighed heavily, “It’s hard to explain this, but let me tell you: I know Eunhyuk did not do it; it was his physical body, yes, but he did not do it. Do you follow me?” Donghwa kept quiet for some time, just staring blankly at his brother. “So… you mean to tell me that you will take back your abusive boyfriend. Okay, fine, if your down with it, then it’s cool, I guess. But we’ll be watching him, just so you know; me, Mom, Dad, and even that lonely fish in the tank.” He pointed his index threateningly before straightening up his posture and making his way to the door

 

“Dad won’t let me have two rooms, so I kept my stuff at the basement. It’s pretty cool down there, there’s a Ping-Pong table too. Besides, It’s much quieter, and no matter how loud I’d scream, they won’t hear me all the way up hear, which means, more fun with the new friends I’ll make, and less trouble with mom and dad. You want come join me there till lunch is ready?”

 

Donghae shook his head, he’d rather finish reading his book. But one look at his brother’s lonely eyes, and he was concerned, “Be careful, it’s not safe where we can’t hear you. If you fell down and broke your neck, we wouldn’t know!”

 

“Don’t worry hyung! Even if I die, then it is my time to go. Everything goes as God planned; in fact, you being pregnant right now have been pre-planned, so I suggest you accept God’s will quietly.”

 

Donghae gave it thought and after a long pause he nodded, and then set his book aside. “Okay, brat, you beat me this time. Let’s go down and I’ll kick your in any game you pick.” A wide smile spilt Donghwa’s face as he beamed happily. He couldn’t make up his mind on what game they should play first.

 

 

* * * *

 

 

At the entry to their house’s basement, Donghwa found the light knife, he forcefully moved it down and waited for the lights downstairs to flicker open. “Great, no lights on the stairway,” complained Donghae, who was holding onto the walls for guidance. The two of them made their way down the wooden, narrow stairs. Donghwa led the way, even though it weirded him out to be the one in charge. But he was glad nevertheless that he could watch the steps for Donghae, until they’ve reached the ground floor safely.

 

It took Donghwa a moment to realize why his face had started to tingle and itch. “Yuck! Cobwebs!” he cried and brushed the sticky webbing off the way.

 

“I hate spiders,” Donghae said softly.

 

Donghwa heard the scratching sounds first. “What’s that?” he asked, grabbing Donghae by the shoulders.

 

“What’s what?” Donghae tried to listen, but Donghwa’s breath was filling his ear. “Shhh. Listen,” whispered Donghwa.

 

“I hear it,” Donghae whispered back.

 

Soft, scratching sounds. Donghwa gasped as three rats scuttled into view. Their eyes glowed red in the light. Their long pink tails swept the concrete floor as they ran. “!”

 

Donghae heard his brother cry first, “Rats!” he then exclaimed.

 

Eyes glowing angrily, the three rats charged forward, hissing as they ran.

 

“They—they’re attacking!” Donghwa shrieked out loud.

 

“Go back upstairs!” Donghae shoved his brother toward the steps, and then he let out a terrified wail as the biggest rat leapt on him.

 

“Ahhh!” ignoring his terror, Donghae kicked out with all his might. The rat hissed shrilly as it went flying, its four legs scrabbling in the air. It hit the floor with a disgusting plop. He stumbled to the stairs as the other two rats darted towards him. He cursed the wicked unborn in his belly, for troubling his pace, this much.

 

Donghwa, being most afraid of rats, was already all the way up the stairs, screaming and yelping.  

 

Donghae was having a similar panic attack, only he had no voice to scream, breathing became a hard task, his chest heaving heavily, before he passed out, he heard a faint voice belonging to a man. A warm breeze brushed his skin, before he was lifted up in a pair of strong arms, easy as a feather, as if he weighted nothing, though his mass was a little bigger now.