Haunted

Wicked juvenile

 

 

Chapter 11

Haunted

 

Tension wafted off Eunhyuk as he entered his room. The tiny bed in the corner squeaked its life out under his weight and he grunted. It’s been a full month now and he couldn’t yet buy a bigger bed to fit him and Donghae together. Since the money they’d been saving up was spent on Angelica’s baby bed, and Eunhyuk being unemployed knew he couldn’t raise money for , even if his life depended on it.

 

 

His life looked sad and it didn’t help he looked like death warmed over with worry. He cared too much about things. He worried too much, and damn if it didn’t harm him both mentally and physically. Last night he hadn’t been able to sleep because Donghwa was out until after midnight. And after he’d snuck him in he still couldn’t sleep because he worried Daniel might have heard the fuss. And in the morning he’d been a mushy mess but he’d had to cope up so they didn’t think he was sick—there were enough sick persons in the house already and he needn’t add more.

 

 

He looked around his room in dismay. There was only his bed in it, yet it felt too stuffy and oppressive.

 

 

Sighing, he crawled under the sheets. Every minute of his day had been chaotic that he was falling asleep out of pure exhaustion.

 

 

The lights had been out when the door to his room creaked open. Eunhyuk was vaguely aware of someone walking around his floor. It was a few moments and the bed creaked under an added weight. Eunhyuk scooted over making the best he can of space so he can fit his slimming lover in. He passed out after barely holding Donghae in his arms.

 

 

Much later, he awoke to silence. He didn’t know what time it was because he didn’t have a conveniently placed clock beside his bed, but he roughly guessed it was again sometime after midnight. Searching beside him, he couldn’t see Donghae anywhere near by though the bed was still warm as though he’d just taken off.      

 

 

He turned to his side and slowly sat up. He was debating whether his voice would fail him if he called out Donghae’s name in the dark, but thankfully he didn’t have because he saw Donghae sitting in a wood chair all crunched up, watching him under the gray light coming from the far window.

 

 

“You’re here,” Eunhyuk rasped. “Sorry, I took up all the space.”

 

Donghae didn’t say anything back. His dark eyes were black, his pupils large with the lack of light. To this lack of response, Eunhyuk propped up and rested his back on the wall and called, “Donghae?” His voice wavered with uncertainty and his legs began to jig nervously.

 

 

“Did I do something?” His mind was thinking back on the from almost a year ago. He’d be damned if something like that happened again and he couldn’t shake off the feeling it might happen. 

 

 

Still, Donghae didn’t reply, and Eunhyuk put his palms to his face. His was shrinking by the second, and soon enough he started trembling. “Donghae, say something… anything.” His voice was muffled and sounded as if stuffed with tears.

 

 

He heard shuffling around, but he didn’t dare to look up and face his demons. He stayed immobile, in a quasi-fetal position with his face in the palms resting on his knees. And Donghae never came to soothe or comfort him. This made Eunhyuk loath himself a little bit more each passing second, and the more Donghae abandoned him the more hatred he conjured up for himself.

 

 

When he finally mustered the courage to look up, Eunhyuk found himself staring into the darkness. His mind raced and he looked at the door, not remembering it squeaking as it creaked open this time, and he started wondering if he was imagining the whole thing. But quickly he abandoned the possibility of dreaming it considering he was very awake and too hurt to be asleep. There was also the warmth Donghae had left in the vacate spot beside him. But humans did not just disappear into thin air.

 

 

Slowly, he shuffled off the bed and winced a little when his bare feet hit the cool floor. He tugged on the hem of his shirt, feeling all chilly at evading the warm bed. Ultimatly, he ignored it needing to find his lover.

 

 

Eunhyuk knew Donghae must still be in the room, only he was yet to find him.   

 

 

 

****

 

 

 

The room was pitch black, even the little light from the moon was covered by a dark cloud now. He figured that it might rain too tonight, just as the weather-tellers had predicted on this morning’s news. Eunhyuk sighed into the darkness and then blindly shuffled around trying for the walls so he could flick the light switch open and get some light into this heart of darkness he called his room. Almost close to the switch, Eunhyuk paused at hearing a sob. He’d heard hassled steps and then his bed creaked under someone’s weight.

 

 

Eunhyuk looked over his shoulder and saw, though barely, the figure cradling its belly as it rocked back and forth. Not sure whether to speak or act, Eunhyuk debated with himself for exactly three seconds before he reached for the key of the switch and flicked it open.

 

 

Light exploded all around the room and blinded his eyes. Eunhyuk winced and waited for his eyes to accept the luminosity around him. Already facing the direction of the bed, he opened his eyes and clenched his jaw when he found his bed undone and empty. He did a quick spin although he knew he would find again no one because he could no longer feel anyone’s presence around.

 

 

His breath hitched and he reached for his head, wondering if he was hallucinating things now. Just a few moments ago he was the companion of a shadow—a shadow that looked very much like Donghae—and now he was alone and confused in an absolutely empty room with not much furniture to hide behind.

 

 

With forced steps, Eunhyuk dragged himself towards the bedroom door and reached for its handle. He stopped just a little bit from it as if he expected it to come to him instead. Very slowly, he turned his head to the side and glanced at his bed one more time. With the lights out Eunhyuk was sure he’d seen a figure sit right there all sobby. With the lights off he’d cuddled that figure and had him in his arms until he next awoke. With the light out he’d cried his soul out to this soul and watched it cry back. So, without giving it a second thought, Eunhyuk closed his eyes shut and reached for the light switch instead. He flicked it off, and waited another minute before he opened his eyes.

 

 

He turned towards his bed and waited for his eyes to adjust to darkness. When it did, he saw the figure, although looking considerably smaller, still sitting on his bed. His own shudder was loud enough to scare him, and he shook and quivered as if fever had hit his core.

 

 

“Yu…when you.” Eunhyuk tried and failed miserably to form a coherent sentence.

 

 

The spirit cocked its head to the side as if expecting Eunhyuk to recover and actually start asking it questions. But Eunhyuk couldn’t humor it any further because he was scared less. He watched it raise from the bed and in the same second his hand reached for the lights and he flicked it open. The spirit was gone, but so as his blood. Eunhyuk’s face was sheet-white and his hands shook violently. But of course they would…

 

 

He had just seen a ghost. For the very first time in his life despite his little history with the spectrums of the kind. Under some other circumstances Eunhyuk might have been half excited half scared less, but right then, all he could think of is , we’ve moved into a haunted house. Again.