“Saranghaeyo Oppa."

Love Light

Marquita Pring’s POV

I had to stop myself from freaking out and running away when all three boys sat down at the table. Only the White and Black boys smiled half apologetically and the other half something I didn’t understand quite yet. The Asian boy avoided all eye contact with me and didn’t seem to mind that I noticed. What was his deal? My thoughts were interrupted by a deep voice and a wide smile. “Hello, my name is Michael and these are my friends Josh and Kim.” He pointed at each friend while introducing them. I was slightly annoyed that he still didn’t look at me when he was introduced. Michael went on, “I’m really sorry to intrude on you like this, we just really need to sit down somewhere and relax.” He secretly pointed over to a table full of drunken half dressed women, “We are trying to escape.” I giggled and looked back over to Michael who had relaxed in his seat. “So you’re hiding out here? What if those women want you back?” I could hear my voice slip into a flirting tone, which really surprised me because Kim’s silence was bothering me. Michael smirked, “Well I might have to use you as a shield.” I smiled and looked over to Josh, not wanting to give to much attention to Michael and have him mistake it for interest.

“Your Josh right? Why so quiet?” This was a question I truly wanted to ask Kim. Why are you ignoring me?! It was irritating; I was surprising myself because it shouldn’t matter. I’ve never seen this guy in my life and if he didn’t want to say anything then that’s okay.  Josh’s voice was very cheerful and calm; it made me feel comfortable, “I’m sorry, it's just that I don’t want to seem too pushy by just sitting here. I really do apologies for our rudeness.“ I shook my head; “No it’s fine you can sit here for as long as you need” I smiled and subconsciously glanced at Kim who was now looking to the right of my head. Michael and Josh must have noticed me because Michael beckoned me closer to him. I leant in closer and lowered my head beside them. Josh whispered into my ear, which made me flinch a little. The sensation was very new. “Don’t mind him. He is extremely shy but the way it comes off can seem really mean. He just has a hard time around girls.” I nodded and began to move back before Michael grabbed my arm and pulled me closer. I felt like he wanted to hug me. “Try saying this to him…” I held in a smile and looked at Kim,

“Saranghaeyo Oppa.”  

I dared myself to be brave and continue to look at him. I knew exactly what I said and what it meant. Kim’s eyes flashed in my direction. His eyes were wide open and his face in the process of turning red. I could finally take a good look at his face. He had some of the strongest facial features I had ever seen and they were all so perfect. I hadn’t noticed before but his eyes were so deep, they were me in. I had to look away before I started to make weird faces or say something off when I saw his ponytail. Damn, even his hair is perfect. I was thanking God for making me black so I could effectively hide my blushing face.

Out of nowhere he finally said something, “S-sorry.” His voice was so clear and simple. That was all I needed for my interest in him to peek to dangerous levels. “It’s okay, did I say something wrong? Or offensive?” I looked at him directly in the eye and I watched him replay my love confession in his head, even his ears turned red. “N-no, I mean… You didn’t say anything wrong.” I smiled at him and found myself becoming more daring, what is he doing to me? “Is it okay if I call you Oppa?” He placed his hand over his mouth as his friends both smirked and stared. I could tell he had no idea what to say, it was wrong of me to but I really liked it. “I’m kidding!” I sat up straight in my set, “I don’t think I introduced myself I’m Marquita. It is nice to meet all of you.” I genuinely felt happy to meet them but my comment was secretly aimed toward Kim.

I looked at Josh and asked him how old he was. “I’m 25 years old” Josh said looking me straight on. I was shocked, “25! You don’t look a day over 21!” He laughed out, loud enough for a few people to turn around. “Ha, This is the first time anyone has ever said that. Everyone thinks I’m older.” I couldn’t believe what he was saying “No way…” my voice trailed off.

Michael chimed in “Yeah, I’m 25 as well.” I nodded my head “Wow, what’s in the milk these days?” Everyone started laughing, even Kim. “I’m 24” Kim said with an awkward smile. “Really? I’m 23” I said, “When is your birthday?” Kim’s smile was just so cute, I couldn’t take my eyes off him “August 4th“ I smiled “And what do you do?”

It started to feel like a conversation between just Kim and I. Apart of me wanted to pull away and talk to everyone but the other part didn’t. Kim’s body leant in closer to me. “I am a freelance photographer.” My eyes widen, I’ve seriously never met a photographer before. “Wow, that's so cool! I’m a game designer.” The moment I said game his face lit up. “I love games!”

 

Kim seemed excited, that made me happy.

 

Kim Jae Wook’s POV

 

We all sat down, in my mind I was cursing Michael and Josh out. I was even thinking about placing a spell on them. If I put my mind to it I could find a voodoo doctor on the Internet and give Josh lice and Michael the flu for three months straight. Michael spoke up first in his apologetic and amused voice. It was hard to decipher if you had never met him before. I couldn’t look at her at all. I really wanted to but I was too shy.

The moment she begins speaking that was all I could hear. He voice was soft and sweet but I could tell she was flirting a little. I wondered what her face looked like when from this distance when she smiles. She giggled and I looked up slowly. She didn’t seem to notice me because she was still talking to Michael. Her face was slim but her cheeks were round. Her complexion was the color of chocolate and her lips were full. I wanted to kiss them.

Her head moved over to Josh, I couldn’t let her see I was staring so I looked past her. I felt like an idiot, why is it so hard to smile and make up a story to tell her. She moved closer to Michael and Josh and they started whispering, I really didn’t like that. No good could come out of this. Relief flooded my body when I saw her start to move back. My body stiffened when Michael pulled her closer to him. I definitely had a lot to say to him when all this is over.

“Saranghaeyo Oppa.”

Her voice was clear and echoed in my chest. What the did I just hear? Somewhere in my head I wanted to hear it again. Before I knew it I was staring her in the eyes and I could feel my face flush. I must have looked real stupid sitting there not knowing what to say or how to act. I’ve never had this reaction before.

Oppa? Did she just call me Oppa? My mind was going a mile a minute then I heard her sweet voice asking if she said something wrong.

NO SAY IT AGAIN! My mind knew exactly what my heart wanted.

I stuttered trying to reassure her it was okay. “Is it okay to call you Oppa?” He voice was leaving impressions all over my heart and my chest was becoming tighter. YES! Nothing came out of my mouth but I could feel the warmth of my face taking over my ears.

I couldn’t do or say anything. I knew she was teasing me, I could tell just by looking at her. It was cute but bad for my heart. I felt like I couldn’t breath. She finally gave her name. I can’t say that I noticed between the Oppas and Saranghaeyos. I just didn’t have time to remember that I still don’t know her name. Marquita huh? It fits her, a cute name for a cute girl. Now I don’t have to think of her as the orange juice girl. The conversation went on and I found myself relaxed. I was amazed that I could have a conversation with a woman, and such a beautiful one. I think Michael and Josh thought the same. Michael’s comment flashed across my mind, was this really in the stars? I had already told her my age and what I did for a living. She seemed interested which made me thank God I picked photography as a profession.

“I’m a game designer.” I almost flew out of my seat.

“I love games!”

, please don’t think I’m weird. My gaming love just flew out my mouth. I couldn’t hold it in; I didn’t even know this rush of emotion was in me in the first place. She smiled, which gave me the permission needed to take a breath.

 

She seemed like my excitement didn’t turn her off, that made me happy.