E

Lover Be Strong

Hey people, I'm sorry to tell you that this update has taken me TWO FREAKING MONTHS  and I'm afraid I will disappoint you all "/
This chapter did not turn out the way I wanted it to, at all!
Anyway, here it is, and hopefully the next one won't take as long to write...
Comment please :)<3

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

TAEYEON’S POV

I fought against sleep and forced myself to get out of the bed. I almost sleep walked out to the kitchen and opened the fridge. It was practically empty. I grabbed a juice carton and shook it. If I took a glass now there wouldn’t be enough for the kids for their breakfast later. I closed the door again and put one hand on my stomach as I returned into my room. The last time I had eaten was two days ago, on my date with Yoseob. I started to get dressed and noticed my fingers were trembling as I tried to button my blouse. I also noticed that almost hadn’t enough strength in my fingers to tie my shoe laces. I really needed to get something to eat, but now; off to work.

 

 

“Taeyeon-ah, are you okay?” Junhyung looked at me worriedly. I forced myself to smile at him.

“I’m fine, just a little tired,” I said. He nodded, but the look he gave me told me that he didn’t believe me.

“Do you want to have lunch with me today?” he asked.

“Lunch” I asked surprised. “I didn’t…”

“I know you didn’t bring anything. I’ll treat you to something,” he said. My eyes grew wide at hearing this. I couldn’t decline his offer, or I would probably faint from hunger.

“Are you sure?” I asked suspiciously. This was too good to be true.

“I’m sure. I need your advice on something, so let’s just say that we’re even.” Junhyung smiled. He needed my advice? Whatever, it sounded fine to me.

“Okay, we’ll meet by the barracks at lunch time.” I happily picked up what I was doing and felt like I somehow had just a little bit more strength. I managed to keep everything up until lunch. I met up with Junhyung by the barracks and we made company to a nearby noodle restaurant. I looked at the menu and bit my lip while looking for something that’s not too expensive.

“Pick anything you’d like,” Junhyung said before ordering his own meal. I chewed on my lip some more before choosing a meal of medium prize class. Junhyung gave me a reproachful look but didn’t say anything and just paid for everything. I occupied a table and waited until Junhyung sat down on the other side of the table. I leaned forward with a mischievous smile. He crooked an eyebrow.

“What?”

“So… about what was it that you needed my advice?”

 

 

I went right to the hospital after work, I hadn’t visited my father on a while. I quietly entered his room. The nurse left the room and greeted me with a smile. My father looked at me with a greater smile than I had seen on his face in a very long time.

“Taeyeon-ah, did you meet your sister?” he asked. He looked much better.

“My sister? No.”

“Oh, she was just here.”
”I must have missed her…” My father patted beside him on the bed.

“How have you been?” he asked. I smiled and ‘told him all about school’ and ‘how much I liked it there’. He looked pleased with my answer so it partially took away the guilt I felt for lying to him. I just kept smiling. My father told me that the doctors had said that his condition was well enough to let him out of the hospital and let him go home.

“Really?” I asked and felt the sincerity in my smile increase. He would finally be able to return home. I hugged him tightly. “That’s great.” I felt myself tearing up but held back the tears.

“Things will get back to normal,” my father said with a smile. Maybe… I glanced at the watch. I had to go, work was waiting.

“I have to go, I… am going to study with some friends,” I lied, again. My father nodded.

“Don’t let me keep you, go ahead.” He reached out a hand for me. I squeezed it while getting up.

“I’ll see you at home.” I smiled and he just nodded. I was light on my feet when I walked down the corridor towards the lift. As I walked past the waiting room I spotted a familiar figure sitting in the children’s corner. I poked my head inside the room.

“Gikwang oppa?” He turned his head to face me as he heard his name. The smile already plastered on his face grew wider as he saw me.

“Taeyeon-ah,” he said and got up to bow to me. I bowed back.

“What are you doing here?” I asked, hoping with all my heart that he was fine.

“I’m here with Yoseob, he should be here any minute now,” he said. Yoseob? I froze on the spot. Was something wrong with him? My heart beat fast when I collected the courage to ask him.

“Is anything… wrong, with him?” I asked quietly trembling before the answer. Gikwang frowned a little.

“The doctors said that his vitals looked fine,” he said. I felt my knees almost bend beneath me in relief. He’s fine.

“Why is he here anyway?” I asked feeling a bit less anxious. Gikwang’s frown got the tiniest bit deeper, but then he shrugged.

“Just one of the regular check-ups.”

“Oh,” I said. I’d never been to one of those. My family probably couldn’t afford it. Running steps were heard outside the room.

“Hyuuung!” That was definitely Yoseob’s voice. Just seconds later the caller’s identity was confirmed as Yoseob barged into the room with a big smile on his face. “Hyung, let’s get out of here and eat some…” Yoseob’s voice trailed off when his gaze landed on me. I felt confused when I thought I saw his smile falter a little.

“Yoseob oppa,” I said with a bow and smiled sweetly at him. After glancing at Gikwang Yoseob’s face lit up in a lovely smile and he ran up to me, pulling me into his warm embrace.

“Taeyeon-ah! It was so long ago since we met, I’ve missed you so much,” he whined and buried his face in my hair. Confused I loosely wrapped my arms around his waist. Was something wrong? He pulled away but kept an arm around my shoulders. “Are you doing anything tonight?”

“I’m working,” I said absentmindedly, still thinking about his faltering smile. He wasn’t happy to see me? His actions now said the opposite. I glanced up at him and realized that he was watching me with an amused smile on his lips. “Mwoh?”

“I said that I’ll you there.” He chuckled lightly and I glanced at Gikwang.

“What about…” I started but Gikwang interrupted me by standing up.

“I’ll get going, you two be careful now, and no ice cream for you,” Gikwang directed the last part to Yoseob who just whistled and pretended not to listen. Gikwang sighed. “I’ll leave you alone then.”

“So, Taeyeon-ah, how would you feel about taking an ice cream with me?” Yoseob asked cheerfully. I smiled at him.

“I’m sorry, but I really don’t have time. I’m actually in a bit of a hurry.” I added after glancing at the time. Yoseob grabbed my hand.

“Then let’s hurry!”

 

 

YOSEOB’S POV

“Bye hyung!” I called as we ran past Gikwang in the corridor. He waved.

“Don’t be home too late!”

“I won’t!” I promised before opening the door leading to the stairs and pulling Taeyeon with me. The stair case was quiet, all that was heard was our quick steps and Taeyeon’s panting.

“Yoseob…” I looked back at Taeyeon. She looked a bit pale and I slowed down my pace.

“Gwenchanha?” I asked worriedly and put a hand on her cheek. She wasn’t sick, right?

“Deh, let’s just calm down, we’re not in that much of a hurry.” She gave me a weak smile. I nodded understandingly.

“Lean on me if you’re tired,” I said with a smile and offered her my arm. She gladly accepted it. Her breathing was still heavy, but not like before. I got a terrible feeling that something was horribly wrong, but I kept the worry hidden. No need to start a commotion for nothing, anyone could get tired. I pushed a door open and we entered the lobby. I led the way through the crowd and kept Taeyeon’s arm in a firm but gentle grip. We walked towards the bus stop and sat down. Taeyeon put her hands in her lap and looked at them.

“I… I can’t afford…” I interrupted her by taking her hand.

“See it as a second date,” I said. “The first time we ride a bus together,” I added excitedly.

“Well…” Taeyeon looked hesitant.

“Isn’t the guy supposed to pay everything on a date?” I asked. She gave me a glance.

“Not necessarily, we’re living in a modern society,” she said quietly. I played with her fingers.

“Fine, let’s just call it a nice gesture.” I looked at her with a smile. The bus arrived and got on. Taeyeon waited for me to pay and we walked towards the back to look for available seats. I spotted an old couple and nudged Taeyeon’s shoulder.

“That’s us in 70 years,” I whispered and discretely pointed at the cute couple talking and laughing. She looked up at me before hastily facing the floor. I knew she was blushing. I smiled to myself as we sat down next to each other. I was saying silly things, I hadn’t even asked her to be my girlfriend, yet. I blushed and giggled at the thought. I snuck my fingers in between hers, and she seemed to welcome them. I smiled even wider to myself and looked straight ahead as she slightly tightened her grip around my hand. Her hand was so warm and small. It was strange how well it fit my hand.

“Taeyeon-ah, when is your next day off?” I asked. “Let’s go on another date.” I excitedly gave her an anticipating look and waited for her response. She kept her gaze locked on our entangled hands.

“I’m not sure about the cleaning shifts, but I’m not going to the construction site this Saturday,” she said in a low voice. I bit my lip.

“I can’t…” I chewed on my lip as she turned to give me a worried look.

“Why not?” she asked and looked at me intently. Did she suspect something? The worry, for me, in her eyes made me incapable to lie.

“I’m going to the hospital…”

“Again?” She tilted her head and I thought I saw her face get a tiny bit paler. There was a moment of silent staring into each other’s eyes. “Why? Why are you at the hospital so often?” She looks so serious that I have to avert my gaze. I sigh and open my mouth.

I don’t want her to pity me.

“Gikwang has leukaemia.” Taeyeon gasped at my words. She put a hand over and turns to face the window. I regret my words at once, but I’m unable to take them back. I turned to her and made her look at me by taking a firm grip around her chin. “Don’t tell hyung I said that, he will kill me. He doesn’t want people to know,” I lied. What was I doing!? “He doesn’t want people to pity him.” A true statement, but it was me it concerned. Taeyeon looked me straight in the eyes and nodded seriously. What had I done?  I had lied to Taeyeon. Lovely and innocent Taeyeon, I have deceived you. I let go of her chin and let my hand caress her cheek while smile sadly.

“Did I tell you?” I asked.

“Tell me what?”

“That you look beautiful today.” She pushed my hand away and looked in a different direction. I knew she was blushing again and her grip around my other hand tightened. I chuckled. “Why do you get embarrassed by a simple fact?” She glanced up at me with the shadow of a smile playing on her lips.

“And you look good… as usual.” She looked away again. I look good! That’s even better than her calling me cute. I squealed from happiness, only on the inside of course! Did this mean I was cute, or good looking? She thought I was? Maybe both!? She really thought so? Does she like me? Should I ask her to be my girlfriend? Shouldn’t we have gotten off here?

“Taeyeon-ah, that was our stop!”

 

 

TAEYEON’S POV

I snap out of my own little world and look out the window with my heart pounding fast. I see the bus stop disappear behind us.

“What time is it?” I asked terrified. Yoseob fumbled with his phone and showed it to me. “If I run I’ll be able to make it from the next stop…” Yoseob pushed the button a million times and dragged me towards the automatic doors before the bus even stopped. I leaned on Yoseob in lack of balance and he secured me by putting his arm around me. The bus stopped and Yoseob helped me stay on my feet at the sudden halt. He took my hand, again, and helped me off the bus. His fingers slid out of my grip. He clapped his hands together several times and bounced up and down with a bright smile on his lips.

“Let’s run!” And he was already half a block away.

“Yah, wait for me!” I called after him and tried to catch up with him. At the beginning I was keeping up pretty well with his pace, but soon I felt my energy fade away. My head started spinning and suddenly there was a lamp post standing in my way.

“Ow!” I stumbled backwards and covered my nose with one hand. In less than a second Yoseob was there supporting me.

“Taeyeon-ah?” His voice scared. The dizziness subsided and I stood more steadily on my feet. I whined and turned my face to Yoseob.

“Am I bleeding?” I angled my head. He shook his head and a tiny smile spread across his face. I gently touched my nose and gave him a glare. “Don’t laugh at me, it hurts.”

“I’m sorry Taeyeon-ah, but… I have to,” he said and burst out laughing. He slapped himself on his knees and started jumping around. “I have to laugh, you ran in to a lamp post!” he mocked me. I just tenderly rubbed my nose and watched the boy cry from laughter. As long as he’s happy…

“I don’t have tome for this, I have to get to work,” I said and started walking, leaving Yoseob behind. Yoseob abruptly stopped laughing and hurried after me with a guilty look on his face.

“I’m sorry, Taeyeon-ah, are you mad at me?” He walked past me and started walking backwards in front of me looking at me with a sad face. “Are you, are you? I will make it up to you, I promise,” he said while bowing his head and clasping his hands together. I put my hand on his with a tiny smile playing on my lips.

“Stop it, just make sure I get to work on time.”

 

 

YOSEOB’S POV

I looked up at her as she put her small hand on mine. That smile, I wanted to kiss it so badly. Calm down, Yoseob, don’t her… I would never do that! I totally missed what she just said, I was busy looking at her… I promised myself I would always listen to her from now on. I took her hand and let her lead the way. If I could stay like this forever, I would. My hand in Taeyeon’s, though it would be nicer hugging her… but then again, I wouldn’t be able to see her face. Aish, how frustrating!

“You okay?” Taeyeon looked at me over her shoulder. I nodded with a bright smile and started skipping.

“Never been better,” I stated. “Do we have time for ice cream?”

“No!” She laughed. What a beautiful sound.