L

Lover Be Strong

TAEYEON’S POV

 

I was at the hospital again. I was visiting my father. He had been here for a very long time, with only short visits back home, because of a heart disease the doctors were unfamiliar with but were able to keep in check. My family couldn’t afford to transfer him to another hospital or pay for any other treatment. I’m not an only child. My father is a parent of five children. My older sister, she recently started her senior year of high school while working as many shifts as possible at a fancy restaurant. All the hard work she was doing was the main reason our family made it through the day. My mother was at home taking care of my twin brothers, four years old, and my younger sister who was only two years old. Me, I supposed to start high school this year, but I decided that it was time for me to do something useful for once. The tuition fee of my school was a big expense for my family. So I dropped out of high school before it even started, got the money back and now I’m working at night as a cleaning lady for a company. I’m waiting for an answer from another employer, but due to my young age the chance that I get this job is very small.

 

 

My father was sleeping through out my visit. I sighed and stood up. I should try and get home before heading off to work.

“Bye, appa,” I said and pushed down the door handle. Suddenly the door was pulled open from the outside and I found my older sister standing there.

“Appa?” she asked hopefully. I blinked in surprise. “Taeyeon-ah. What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be in school?”

“Appa’s asleep.” I looked down at my feet. “Today’s field day.” I hated lying to my sister, because I knew she trusted me, but I didn’t want her to worry. She has so much to think and worry about already considering her own problems, she didn’t need to carry my burdens too.

“So? Aren’t students supposed to be attending field days as well?” my sister asked with a frown. “You’re cutting class?”

“The teachers won’t notice that I’m absent,” I tried to excuse myself. She had her worried frown on.

“It doesn’t matter! Is this the first time?” she asked in a raised voice.

“Noona!” Out of nowhere a platinum blonde boy popped up beside me and put his arm around my shoulders. “Don’t be so harsh on her. She has just been visiting her sick father. I think the teachers will have indulgence with that.” I looked up at the boy who was protecting me with big eyes. My confusion was total. Who was he?”

“Yoseob, this is none of your business,” a dark haired guy spoke up. I glanced a him as he was standing right behind my sister. Who were these people? I snapped out of my thoughts as my sister said my name.

“… and let appa have a rest. But please, tell me this was the first and last time you’re skipping school,” she finished her sentence and gave me a pleading look. I couldn’t lie straight to her face so I decided to avoid the question.

“Don’t tell omma, please,” I pleaded. As few people as possible should know about me “cutting class”. She sighed.

“I won’t. Let’s get out of here.”

 

 

I felt how this blonde guy, Yoseob, startled at hearing those words. He let go of me and ran up to his dark haired friend while smiling brightly.

“Hyung, did you hear that!? We’re finally going. Come on!” He pulled away with his hyung and my sister followed. I still felt a bit confused and got a little left behind. Yoseob shot a look over his shoulder and saw me still lingering outside the room. He let go of his hyung and hurried back to me.

“Taeyeon-ah!” he called. “Come on Taeyeon-ah, we’re leaving. Oh, ‘cause you’re not my noona, right? No, I bet you’re in your first year of high school, then I’m older.” He beamed at me while jumping slightly on the spot. Did my sister tell him?

“How did you…?” I mumbled. I must’ve looked like a question mark though because his friend answered it for me.

“He’s good a guessing ages,” he said casually and shrugged. Oh… That must be his hidden talent then.

“Come o-on Taeyeon-ah.” Yoseob grabbed my hand and pulled me with him towards the elevators. “You’re too slow,” he whined.

 

 

I looked over my shoulder to make sure my sister and Gikwang, Yoseob had told me his name (and a whole lot of other things) by now, were still behind us. Yoseob seemed to be high on something with that speed of his, I had trouble following him. If it wasn’t for him still holding on to my hand he would have outrun m long ago.

“… I haven’t had ice cream for ages. I think I’m going to make Gikwang buy me some. Do you like ice cream, Taeyeon-ah?” He looked at me while swinging our entangled hands back and forth between us. I haven’t eaten ice cream since I was five…

“Yeah, I guess…”

“You guess!? I love ice cream, almost more than I love my hyung, but just almost. Don’t tell him though, he might get sad,” Yoseob said with a remorseful face. I giggled, he was so cute. “Omo, Taeyeon-ah.” Yoseob made a sudden stop.

“Deh?” I asked with a smile. He looked at me closely.

“You are so pretty when you smile,” he said and beamed at me. “You’re pretty when you look confused too, but your smile is extraordinary beautiful.” I felt my cheeks heat up and I knew I was blushing like a lunatic. Yoseob giggled.

“You’re so cute,” he said.

“Yoseob-ah, don’t scare her,” Gikwang said as he and my sister caught up with us.

“I’m not! Right, Taeyeon-ah?” Yoseob said. I just nodded and tried to hide my red face. “See, hyung? Me and Taeyeon are just getting to know each other.”

“Really?” Gikwang raised an eyebrow. Yoseob nodded eagerly as he let go of my hand and ruffled my hair with both his hands before running off. After a while he turned around.

“Bye noona! Bye Taeyeon-ah, it was nice meeting you!” he called and jumped up and down while waving at us like a maniac. I waved back at him before joining my sister on our walk towards the bus stop.

 

 

I glanced at my sister while walking. She was holding a piece of paper tightly in her hand. I noticed the numbers scribbled down on it and figured it was Gikwang who had given it to her. I smiled to myself.

“Do you know those guys?” I asked.

“I met them last time I was at the hospital.”

“… Gikwang gave you his number…” I couldn’t hold it in. She looked away.

“Yeah…” My smile widened. She was avoiding my question, then it was definitely something up with this. I kept on smiling all the way home, forgetting all my troubles for a while.