It Hurts

It Hurts

Taeyeon's POV

My dad was staring at me all through out dinner. I looked up, "Yes?" I asked politely.

He smiled at me. I raised an eyebrow, "What?"

He smiled even wider. Okay, something weird was going on, "What?" I asked again.

"You know, today was the first day Tiffany didn't scream while getting an injection?"

I widened my eyes, "Really?"

He nodded and continued to eat his rice, "Yep. You did something  Something special. Espesically if you got Tiffany to act like that."

I smiled slightly before continuing to eat my dinner, thoughts running through my head. Did I do something speical to Tiffany? No, not that I know of. Does giving her pills count? Well, that isn't really special. Wait, I held her hand! Yes, that was special. Skin contact. Maybe that's why Tiffany didn't scream. Instead of screaming, she squeezed the living hell out of my hand. I glanced down at my right hand, seeing the red hand print that was placed on it due to Tiffany. I smiled, it was because she held my hand.

My dad placed his fork down, I looked up. He looked around, obviously wanting to tell me something.

"What is it?" I asked.

He cleared his throat, "Since tommorow is Saturday, do you mind coming to work with me? For.. Tiffany?" he asked hesitantly.

I bit my lip, I had plans with Yuri. After I thought about it. Yuri had Jessica with her, they would probably leave me anyway. I nodded, "Sure, what time?"

"Err.. when you wake up?" he asked, playing with his shirt collar.

I sighed, "Alright."

He smiled, before continuing to eat, "I think you two will be good friends."

I nodded, "Sure."

----------

My dad knocked on the door. We arrived at the hospital, it was 7 AM.

We heard a faint, "Come in."

He opened the door, revealing Tiffany stretching like a cat. She smiled once she saw us, "Hello."

I waved slighltly and entered the room. My dad closed the door shut before smiling, "Hey Tiffany, feeling alright?"

She nodded, smiling, "Hopefully, today, my sickness won't act up."

My father chuckled, "Hopefully."

I could already feel the comparison from Tiffany's attitude yesterday to today. She seems much less pained and more relaxed today than she did yesterday. So, it was true. On some days, her sickness acts like it was never there, but on others, the sickness acts up. That's.. interesting.

I decided to continue with the light aura, "So, did I win the bet?"

She looked at me confused, "What?"

I raised an eyebrow, "I was your friend for a day, wasn't I?" I asked with a slight smile.

She widened her eyes. My dad watched silently.

"Yah! That doesn't count. Technically, you weren't my friend for the WHOLE day." she said playfully.

"So, I need to be your friend for all day today?" I asked, clearing things up.

She nodded, "Yep. If you can actually stand me for the whole day, you will. But I doubt it."

I stuck my tongue out at her, "Don't doubt my awesome skills."

She giggled. It was the first time I heard her giggle, and by the look on my dad's face, it was also his first time hearing her giggle. It was a sweet sound, mixed in with her husky voice, the giggle sounded absolutely adorable.

Aish! Kim Taeyeon, why are you thinking like this?

"Sure, but find a way to entertain yourself, I'm stuck in the hospital, like always."

"You can't leave?" I asked without thinking.

She raised an eyebrow, "If I could, wouldn't you think I did already?"

I rasied my hands up in mock surrender, "Sorry."

She smiled slightly, "It's fine."

My father looked between us and smiled, "Alright, you girls have fun. I need to go take care of a little boy who has a broken leg, I'll check up on you later."

We waved bye to my dad. Once he left, Tiffany sighed. I raised an eyebrow. "What?"

She shook her head, "Nothing."

I frowned, "I'm your friend, right?"

She looked at me oddly, "Yea.. why?"

I smiled, knowing she fell into my trap, "Since friends tell each other what's on their mind, tell me what's on yours."

I sat on the bedside, turning my body to face her. Tiffany sat up, leaning against the wall. She sighed, "Alright."

I waited for her to talk. She seemed to be gathering her thoughts in her head. Finally, after a couple minutes, she breathed deeply. "I was thinking about outside."

"Outside?" I asked.

She nodded, "Outside." she confirmed. "I've been stuck in this same hospital for the past 2 years. Eating rice, drinking water. All I've done was watch alittle TV, or doodle on sticky notes."

I kept silent, waiting for more. She looked at me, "I want to go outside, to see the town. But I'm afraid that my sickness would act up when I least expect it to."

I nodded, trying to understand what she was going through. I imagined myself being stuck in this hospital for 2 years, eating nothing but white rice, drinking nothing but water. I couldn't imagine it. She must feel horrible.

She sighed, causing me to snap out of my thoughts, "But I've gotten used to it."

She reached over to the side desk, next to the hospital bed. She opened the drawer. I peeked inside and saw a bunch of pads of sticky notes. Some were new, some were filled with doodles. She grabbed a half used pad, also grabbing a pink pen. 

She began to doodle on the notes, leaving the drawer open. I bit my lip, "Can I look at your notes?"

She looked up from her sticky notes, she nodded shyly. I smiled and reached down, grabbing a handful of notes.

One note was just filled with pink ink. Literally. All it was was pink ink, covering the whole sticky note. I chuckled, staring at the sticky note that gave me slightly pink fingers. Tiffany also giggled, probably remebering the time she did this. I bet her whole hand was pink.

I looked at the next note, and it wasn't so silly as the other one. It was a three dimensional box. Inside the box was a girl, it seemed. She was curling herself into a ball. The box was the only think left blank, outside was filled with pinkness and words such as 'pain' and 'hurt'.

I frowned as I looked at it. Tiffany bit her lip frowning slightly as well, "I wasn't feeling too good that day." she commented.

I nodded, "I can tell."

I looked at the next sticky note, this one seemed more recent, as the pink pen color was more vibrant. It was a picture of a needle, it had a large 'X' crossing over it. I raised an eyebrow at Tiffany. She smiled sheepishly, "I hate needles."

"Why?" I asked her, staring at how dark she had imprinted the 'X' onto the needle. Poor needle..

"The fact that it's used to send fluids into my body is nasty. I'm scared of it, I don't know the exact reason. But I just am." 

I nodded. "Wait."

She looked up. 

"If you were so scared, why didn't you cry yesterday?" I asked her, curious.

She shrugged, "I don't know."

"My father told me it was the first time you didn't yell when they injected you." I continued.

She shrugged again, "I guess it's because I had something else to do besides screaming."

"Like squeezing my poor hand?" I asked playfully, lifting up my right hand, showing off the faded imprint of her hand connected to mine.

Her eyes widened, "Omo! Did I do that?"

I smiled and nodded, "It's alright, it doesn't hurt."

She furrowed her eyebrows, lowering her head, "Sorry."

I giggled, "It's fine. It's better than seeing you cry and suffer."

She looked up with twinkling eyes, "Really?"

"Really." I confirmed with a firm nod.

She smiled at me, and I smiled back.

Maybe Tiffany isn't that bad.