It Hurts

It Hurts

Tiffany's POV

I continued to dribble on the pad of sticky notes that were yellow, using a pink pen that my father gave me a couple months ago. I wrote words, drew pictures. After having my max amount of injections, I was pretty angry. I drew hardly on the sticky notes, putting all my frustration into it. I drew a needle, writing under it 'STUPID' before crossing it out with a big 'X'.

I had totally forgot that Taeyeon was actually in the room. I lifted my head and looked over to the corner where Taeyeon was seated, doing her homework. She was looking at me with an amused face. I scoffed, "What?"

She raised an eyebrow, still amused, "Are you angry at something?"

I looked back at my sticky notes, realizing how messy the notes actually were. You could litterally sense the anger radiating off of the piece of paper. I shrugged and looked back up, "Maybe?"

She let out a small laugh before shaking her head, continuing to do her homework. Meanwhile, I continued to play around with my sticky notes. Eventually, I made a stop motion sort of thing. It was a little ball that bounced along the sticky notes. I flipped the sticky notes quickly, watching the little video I had created through paper, seeing the uneven little ball made of pink ink moving across the paper.

I felt someone looking at me again, I looked up. I saw Taeyeon smiling while looking at me. "Having fun?"

I nodded, suddenly feeling very happy, "Yes, I am."

Slowly, I felt my stomach begining to pain from the very inside. I bit my lip, looking at Taeyeon who was already focused on her work. I didn't want to disturb her, but then again, I wanted the painkillers before this pain gets worse.

"Taeyeon." I called.

She looked up, "Yes?"

"Painkillers.." I managed to say before clutching my stomach, feeling the sensation spreading.

She got up immediately and went over to the cabinet where Doctor Kim told her the pills were. She grabbed the little white container and opened it, taking out two little pills. She grabbed a water bottle from her back pack, it was a new bottle, thankfully. She went over to my bedside, sitting on the bed. She handed me the pills, opening the water bottle for me before handing it to me.

I managed to smiled thankfully at her before swallowing the two pills. She hadn't moved from her spot as I waited for the pain to ease, but it never did. I knew that the pain killers wouldn't help much, but sometimes, I wish the pain would just go away forever.

Taeyeon looked at me with furrowed eyebrows, "Want me to call my dad?"

I shook my head, "No, calling him won't help anything."

"But you're in pain."

I shrugged, "Nothing new."

She frowned, "But.."

I stopped her and cut her off, "Calling him is a waste of time. They would just stick another needle into me, giving me fluids that won't do . I'm used to this. The pain will go away sooner or later. It'll disappear for a day, then it'll come back for a whole day."

I didn't really mean to give her all the details, but it sort of just slipped out of my mouth. She frowned for a moment.

"Alright, but, if you need anything, tell me, alright?" she asked gently.

I sighed and nodded, "I'll be fine."

I jinxed myself for the second time today. My midsection was feeling like it was getting stabbed by needles, from the inside out. I bit my lip to contain my screams that desperately wanted to come out. Taeyeon looked panicked, "I'll call my dad."

She reached into her pocket for her phone, I grabbed her wrist. She looked at me shocked.

"Don't... leave him for.. other patients." I managed to get out through a strained voice.

"But you're in pain." she said again.

I clutched my stomach, silently praying to God that the pain will stop. That the sickness would stop.

Suddenly, the door opened and in walked Doctor Kim. I glared at Taeyeon, she had called him when I wasn't paying attention. She looked at me, very concerned.

Doctor Kim sat beside Taeyeon slightly pushing her away from me so he could sit close to me. Taeyeon frowned at him before completely getting up from the bed, walking back to the couch in the corner of the room.

"Tiffany, does it hurt alot?"

I shrugged, "Not as bad as this morning."

He nodded, "I think we can squeeze another injection in for the day."

I panicked and widened my eyes, "NO!" I yelled.

I began to tremble, not another. Doctor Kim grabbed my wrist, "Tiffany, Tiffany, stop! It's going to help." He said, raising his voice slightly.

Tears formed in my eyes, "No it won't" I said softly.

"You have to believe."

"Believe my !" I retorted, rather loudly. "You always say 'It's going to help'" I mocked in a deep voice. "You always said that, since I was 14. But did it help? NO! It didn't. I tried to believe for 2 years that 'It would help' but, don't you think that after those 2 years, I would lose hope?" I said, raising my voice at times.

By now, the tears were freely falling down my face. It hurts. THIS hurts.

Doctor Kim sighed, wiping my tears with his large thumb, "Please. You have to try."

I sniffed, "F-fine." I said in a shaky voice.

He widened his eyes, "Really?"

"I'm not promising that I will stay still." I stated coldly.

He nodded, "As long as you try."

I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms as he left the room. Taeyeon looked at me, surprised.

"What?" I asked, irritated with her staring.

She cocked an eyebrow, "You know my father is just helping?"

"Helping for 2 years, now look at me. I'm worse than when I began." I scoffed.

She frowned. "You can't give up."

"I wish I could." I sighed, letting a tear fall again.

Doctor Kim walked in with a needle in his hand, the alcohol swab in the other. He walked closer to me, and I swear, I saw the needle smile at me. It was a freakish smile.

Great. Now I'm seeing things.

He sat on the bed, I squirmed away, leaning as far away as I possibly could. He tried to reach for me, but I swatted his hands away.

My fear for needles were so high, having needles injected into my body everyday doesn't help my phobia.

"Tiffany. I don't want to call the other nurses and doctors in again."

I whimpered, "You don't want to, but you always do."

"Because you never cooperate." he retorted in a calm voice.

He came closer to me, trying to wipe my arm with the swab. "No!" I yelled, pushing him away.

"Tiffany, please." he practically begged.

"Go ahead, call the nurses and doctors." I said, suddenly turning angry.

I saw Taeyeon stand up from the corner of my eye. "Don't call them." she said.

Doctor Kim looked at her strangely as she walked to the bed, sitting beside me. For some reason, I relaxed slightly, seeing her there.

She looked into my eyes. I saw genuine concern, "You have to try. You can't just make the other doctors and nurses leave their patients just to deal with you."

I glared back at her, even though I was touched by her worryness. "If they don't want to deal with me, they don't have to."

She sighed, "Just one more needle, then it's done for the day. It's almost sleeping time, you'll be fine by then. Just take the injection."

My mood changed, I felt scared and shy, "But.. It's scary."

Taeyeon didn't know how to respond. Then, she smiled a warm smile, "Don't worry, it'll hurt for just a milisecond, then it's over."

I dont' know why, but I had trust in Taeyeon. The girl who I had just met today. I nodded slightly. Doctor Kim smiled before grabbing my right arm, wiping the alcohol swab on a specific spot. Taeyeon walked over to my left side. I wondered what she was going to do. I was surprised when she grabbed my hand and held it. I looked over at her and she smiled, I smiled back. I felt the needle pierce my skin. I winced and squeezed Taeyeon's hand. I felt the liquid spread before her pulled the needle out, placing the bandaid over the tiny hole.

"Done." he announced.

I stopped squeezing Taeyeon's hand and let go. She let go and smiled at me. I smiled back.

It was the first time I hadn't screamed, struggled, or cried while getting my injection.

It was all because she was here.

Kim Taeyeon