Chapter 9 ↔

To the Beautiful you...

 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=n75kR-gynxM

 

 

Around the campfire, Eun-gyul builds up to his grand confession as Jae-hee is unsurprisingly distracted. He starts, “I…”

…and gets interrupted by the meteor shower. Jae-hee hurries to make a wish and Eun-gyul gazes at her with a warm smile. At the same time, Tae-joon watches from the car.

Eun-gyul casually asks what Jae-hee wished for and she answers, “That Tae-joon would fly like before.” He complains that Tae-joon is all Jae-hee ever talks about and is surprised to hear that he’s the reason why she’s here.

In a lowered voice, she adds that if she didn’t come, “I wouldn’t have been able to stand it.”

You can almost hear his heart drop as Jae-hee continues her Tae-joon accolade. Girl could write a manifesto on how much she idolizes him.

The moment gone, Eun-gyul sweeps his confession under the rug.

He hesitantly asks, “If it was me… would you still have done it?” Would she still have come if it was him who got her through those difficult times? Jae-hee replies that she probably would have and he lights up, satisfied with that answer for now.

She suddenly smells something burning and Eun-gyul smugly acknowledges it as his burning heart. Ha – taking a page from Eric, are we?

But no, it’s his soles and not his heart melting by the campfire.

 

Hanna chases after Tae-joon, shouting that there’s no way she’s ever ever going to let her Oppa leave for Canada to train with Coach Holton. He lets her down gently and then asks why Hanna likes him so much.

She pouts that she doesn’t know – he was always by her side and the only one who stuck around. Aww. His little laugh of amusement gets her even more upset – doesn’t he know how happy she is that it’s Tae-joon and not someone else?

Tae-joon simply thanks her for relaying the news about Canada with a little pat on the head. Still just a dongsaeng in Oppa’s eyes.

Eun-gyul arrives at school sporting a mighty fine new ‘do. He’s slightly disheartened when Jae-hee doesn’t recognize it, thinking back to when she made a casual remark some time earlier.

Tae-joon’s thoughts are preoccupied with last night’s conversation with Dad. An email was the reason for Coach Holton’s change of heart, Dad told him. He’ll take care of everything, so all Tae-joon needs to do is be ready.

Jong-min sidles up to Eun-gyul to report a rumor about a who’s been creeping around Serin Girls High. To make it worse, the perpetrator allegedly drove off after he failed to drag a girl into his car. Please don’t let it be McCreeperson making a comeback so soon.

Tae-joon adorably takes a picture of Jae-hee playing basketball on his phone (Hi there obvious product placement!), smiling to himself when it comes out well. When Jae-hee waves in his direction, he pretends to be taking a selca instead.

Afterward, Jae-hee belatedly realizes she forgot her phone and backtracks to retrieve it. Just then, a white convertible pulls up right in front of her.

 

The mysterious man pushes her into the passenger seat, ignoring her protests while the boys stand around. Didn’t you just hear there was a creeper in the area?

Finally recalling Jong-min’s words, Tae-joon takes off running and keeps up for a fair distance before he falls behind. In the car, Jae-hee demands to know who he is. Her abductor chuckles, “Can’t you tell? I’m kidnapping you right now.”

Disappointed that Jae-hee still doesn’t recognize him, he takes off his shades. “Long time, no see.” Meet KIM JUNG-HOON (Kim Woo-bin) aka John Kim, and Jae-hee is happily surprised to see him.

But before they can exchange pleasantries, Tae-joon shows up with a greeting of his own: a punch to the face. Tae-joon asks if Jae-hee’s all right and grabs Jung-hoon by the shirtfront.

Jae-hee intervenes before things escalate any further and Jung-hoon scoffs, “You’re Tae-joon, right?” They glare at each other.

 

Turns out that Jung-hoon was in on Jae-hee’s secret and he asks about how life in a boys dorm is treating her. He’s impressed that she’s lasted so long, figuring she’d be outed in a week. You and me both, buddy.

We flashback to when Jae-hee dropped by his studio, pleading for his help. He’d brushed her away, annoyed and skeptical at the entire situation. But then her chopped locks stopped him in his tracks and changed his mind.

He asked, “Who do you take after to be this idiotic?” Another Voice of Reason? You are most welcome here, sir.

 

Now that he thinks about it, he jokes that he should have tried harder to talk her out of it. He pinches her cheeks, much to her annoyance, when they’re joined by Tae-joon. We learn that Jung-hoon is a wee bit of a respected photographer who quit university. The reason: “It looks cooler when I meet girls.”

She asks after the reason why Jung-hoon is in Korea and spits up when he matter-of-factly answers, “Because I missed you.”

Jung-hoon tosses out that he was Jae-hee’s first love and her first kiss. She bolts out of her chair to cover his mouth before he can spill anything else and laughs that it’s absurd that her first love would be a guy. (I think this guy would say otherwise.)

I wouldn’t worry that he’ll be the one to out you – you seem to be doing a fair job of that on your own. Jealous Tae-joon makes a triumphant return, sending death glares to Jung-hoon and balling up his fist.

 

Eun-gyul lies bed, contemplating whether or not he should pretend to be crazy and confess his feelings. Yay more Eun-gyul daydreams!

This time he dreams of pushing Jae-hee up against the wall declaring, “Listen up because I’m only going to say this once. I like you. No… I love you Gu Jae-hee!” The next minute, we see him in handcuffs as Jae-hee and Tae-joon tsk tsks at him.

What about if he gets picked for the national soccer team? Jae-hee would be so proud and Tae-joon would gape, “Compared to Eun-gyul, I’m no better than a worm!” HA.

 

Tae-joon gets called away to the agency, leaving Jung-hoon to drive Jae-hee back to school. He asks if she’s sure that Tae-joon is still in the dark about her secret. He’s skeptical and remarks, “No matter how dense the guy is, what idiot wouldn’t know if his roommate’s a guy or a girl?”

He reminds her that guys have a sixth sense when it comes to these things but Jae-hee is convinced that Tae-joon hasn’t figured it out yet. *facepalm*

She tells him that Tae-joon is different – he doesn’t think about girls all the time unlikesomeone else she knows. Jung-hoon quips, “How did you know?”

And then adds, “It’s not girls… but [a] girl.” Eeeep!

 

Director Jang brings up the news about Canada and Tae-joon tells her that he’ll think about it. He’s got a lot on his mind and in an aegyo voice, he asks if she can treat him to a meal.

He climbs up the loft to check on Jae-hee and stops when he hears her murmur his name in her sleep. He tucks her in and smiles that her email to Coach Holton must have worked.

He ponders whether going to Canada would be the right decision to make and he recalls all their memories together, both the good and bad.

A surprise appearance from Jung-hoon gets Jae-hee in trouble for speaking in banmal in class. But how can you be mad when he’s making those adorable faces?

She tells Jung-hoon to cut it out at lunch but he replies that he’s here because he missed her. Aw. He continues to while at a nearby table, Eun-gyul and Tae-joon fume in jealousy.

The principal awes over Jung-hoon and then mistakenly introduces him as John Park. Jung-hoon politely correct that he’s John Kim the photographer, not John Park the singer. No matter because the principal laughs off his err with a pun (John Kim sounds similar tojoeungim or “good feeling”).

Teacher Lee is impressed by the pretty (Who wouldn’t be?) and Coach Baek’s jealousy shines through, answering that Jung-hoon, “takes some photos for some newspaper.” The principal snaps: “The Times!” (aka the New York Times.)

 

Jung-hoon gets to work but Tae-joon confronts him that he’d rather not be photographed. Tae-joon is the most photogenic of the bunch, Jung-hoon defends. Plus, doesn’t he shoot all those CFs and photoshoots? Touché.

He finds nothing wrong with it since he obtained consent from both the school and his management company. Adding fuel to the fire, Jae-hee comes to Tae-joon’s defense that a photographer should respect if a subject doesn’t want to be photographed.

He’s miffed that she’s taking the golden boy’s side and she pulls Jong-hoon away.

Tae-joon waits up for Jae-hee later that night, exerting his worry by working out (rawr). He imagines Jung-hoon kissing Jae-hee beneath a broken streetlamp. The thought worries him and he runs out… the very moment Jae-hee returns from dinner.

He asks in that I-don’t-care-but-I-do tone if anything happened. She denies it and then apologizes for Jung-hoon’s earlier behavior. Tae-joong puffs up that he’s so not pissed about that. He then retreats to the bathroom, letting out a deep breath.

Elsewhere, Jung-hoon tells his assistant to clear his morning schedule – he’s got a date.

 

The next morning, Tae-joon overhears Jae-hee making plans to do some sightseeing with Jung-hoon. He catches her before she heads out – is it just the two of them?

When she shrugs that she’ll just ask if they get lost but Tae-joon puts his foot down. In a overly exasperated tone, he says that that won’t do – he’ll have to go with them.

She asks why he insists and Tae-joon retorts, “I just want to ensure that he gets the correct impression of Seoul.” That’s right – you stick to your denial!

Then we learn that Tae-joon isn’t much of a guide either and Eun-gyul tags along. Guess you’ll have to add one more to to your party.

The four explore Seoul together, shopping and snacking as Jung-hoon snaps pictures. They stop at a cafe and when Jung-hoon orders an espresso, the other boys are quick to change their order. Jung-hoon holds back his laughter.

I love how the younger boys stare at the cup like it’s some foreign object. Eun-gyul recoils after a sip but Tae-joon downs the shot.

Tae-joon covers that he’s an occasional java drinker and to keep up the ruse, declining Jae-hee’s juice as a chaser.

 

Jung-hoon brings the kids to his studio and Tae-joon slips away to explore. Aw, I forgot you’re an amateur photographer. He stops at a large portrait of Jae-hee smiling and he beams, putting a hand to her cheek.

A voice comments that he’s never seen Jae-hee smile so brightly as she did in that photo. It’s Jung-hoon, who adds, “…until she knew you.” Aw, break my heart why don’t ya.

He confronts Tae-joon about whether he knows Jae-hee’s a girl and then curiously asks why Tae-joon pretends like he doesn’t. But if Tae-joon does know then that’s a different story. He firmly asks, “What do you think of her?”

At school, Seung-ri pines over his budding crush on Hanna. Who should then appear than the princess herself, who hops over the stairwell like the gymnast she is.

I kinda love that his cool act falls apart in her presence and adorably stammers that she can’t be here. He gets miffed when she insults him and for a moment, convinces himself for being so enamored with her in the first place.

Which then of course he sees her in a new light. She scurries off and he stutters again. Heh.

Back at the studio, Jung-hoon’s assistant informs him that their models have pulled out last minute – where are they going to find replacements?

Cut to: Eun-gyul and Tae-joon modeling in front of the camera. You can thank me for the pretty later.

 

Eun-gyul (in his guyliner) wonders how someone as stubborn as Tae-joon was persuaded to model anyway – does Jung-hoon have something over him? But we see that all it took was one simple request from Jae-hee to win him over.

Jung-hoon calls out his next direction, telling Tae-joon to act as if he’s looking at the woman he loves. When Tae-joon hesitates, Jung-hoon flippantly adds to think of anyone who comes to mind. He looks away from the camera.

On their way back, Jae-hee starts coughing from the cold and before Tae-joon can offer his sweater, Jung-hoon hands his over first. Jae-hee’s burning up by the time they’re back in their room. It’s sweet how his concern towards her is so transparent.

She assures him that she’s fine and Tae-joon teases her that idiots don’t catch colds.

Eun-gyul is still deadset on his dream to make it to the national team to impress Jae-hee. Coach is let down that he’s not who Eun-gyul wants to show off to and asks, “Are you going to backstab me?”

The soccer star laughs that it’s ridiculous. He kicks… and the ball strikes Coach square in the back of his head. (The expressions “to backstab” and “hit in the back of the head” are the same in Korean.) AHAHAHA – so punny.

 

Doc congratulates Tae-joon about the news of Canada and Coach Holton – does this mean he’ll be heading overseas? Tae-joon isn’t sure but Doc sees it as a simple decision since this is what Tae-joon has longed for and the opportunity has finally come.

Tae-joon is still on the fence about it so Doc advises him that if you examine the problem in simple terms, the answer will present itself. And if Tae-joon doesn’t want to go to Canada then isn’t the answer obvious? “Something more precious than Holton must be here.”

He returns to a darkened room and Jae-hee says that she was just about to change the lightbulb. Both Jung-hoon and Doc’s words resound in his head as he watches her stand on the stool. Then he gets up and hugs her, much to her surprise.

It takes him a minute before the situation registers in his brain and then makes the excuse that he slipped. She’s baffled and he comments that he can think a little clearer now and walks out.

She wonders aloud, “Did he find out that I’m a girl?” No kidding, Sherlock.

 

Jung-hoon reviews the pictures on his computer and one of Tae-joon’s shots gives him pause. He notices that Tae-joon is looking away from the camera and wonders what he’s looking at. He zooms in to find out who he’s looking at: Jae-hee.

He gets a surprise visitor in the form of Tae-joon and greets, “It looks like you won’t be giving in either.”

Tae-joon is here to answer Jung-hoon’s earlier question. He did know that Jae-hee was a girl. And why he pretended not to know? “Because now… I want her to stay by my side.” Finally, he admits it!

 

What better way then to fight over the girl you like over a 1:1 basketball match? They fight dirty, pushing each other to scrape each and every point.

At a certain point, Jung-hoon asks for a further clarification about Tae-joon’s declaration. Tae-joon retorts that it’s none of his business and sinks a 3-pointer to end the game.

Jung-hoon calls it null and tells him that now that he’s aware of Tae-joon’s feelings, he won’t be backing down. In fact, he’ll make sure to bring Jae-hee back to the States with him.

Jae-hee’s fever sky-rockets in the middle of the night and once again, she dismisses it as the common cold. Even though she’s slightly delirious, she’s conscious enough to joke that now that she has one, she’s not an idiot right? Well, that’s debatable.

Tae-joon gently tucks her into his bed and gets angry-upset that she’s sick. He tells her that he’ll check if the infirmary is open but Jae-hee grabs his hand, “Don’t leave.”

Slightly defused now, he relents and this time it’s Tae-joon who stays by her bedside until he too falls asleep.

Morning. Eun-gyul rushes into the room, his bladder just about to burst, when he sees this:

Jae-hee and Tae-joon open their eyes.

They both bolt awake and stare at each other, wide-eyed.